N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default N63 JB4 BETA dyno and information - 06-27-2016, 01:12 PM

Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, INC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, Inc hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

This thread is to discuss and share results on the N63 JB4 BETA

Note this thread applies to the n63 engine only and DOES NOT apply to the n63tu which uses twin DMEs.

The n63 JB4 BETA is a new system that we plan to succeed the current n63 Stage2. It's a special CANbus enabled control board, an OBDII CANbus adapter, and for Stage3 special DME wires similar to the current Stage2 system.
Like the S55 JB4 it can be implemented in different stages depending on the power goals and intended usage. It's also fully compatible with the JB4 user interface and JB4 add-on blue tooth adapter allowing logging, gauges, map changes, etc, right on your phone!

Stage1: Connection to both TMAP sensors only. This allows performance equivalent to the current Stage1 system for someone looking for a quick and simple install.
Stage2: Adds in OBDII CANbus cable providing in dash map changing, boost gauge, boost by gear, stronger and smoother mapping, etc.
Stage3: Adds in two pairs of wires to the DME for fueling support allowing the use of E85 fuel mixtures.
Stage3+BCM: Adds in a BCM module that connects to two additional pairs of wires in the DME for direct wastegate control. With sufficient octane this allows the system to fully maximize power.

Cost?

The most likely scenario is the n63 JB4 system is $799 which includes everything except the n63 BCM module. The n63 BCM module is an additional $150.

Upgrading an existing system?

From a Stage1: This will be fairly easy. The upgrade kit will include the new control board, enclosure, OBDII adapter, and Stage3 fueling wires, all which plug in to your existing harness. The n63 Stage1 or Stage2->JB4 kit is $400.

Map Guide:

For now we only want users to run map1 (pump gas tuning) or map4 (stock) while we evaluate tuning data over a wider range of conditions.

Dyno results:

Just got back from some dyno tuning with our 2011 550. The car is unmodified other than the new development JB4 system. Testing was done on 5 gallons of E85 with the rest 91 octane. Around an E30 mixture. These are the preliminary results from today. Power was right about as expected. With a little stronger E85 mix, colder weather, and a little more boost I expect 520whp will be possible on factory turbos! This takes the n63 platform to "untuned" M5 levels. Not bad considering.

Note there are still some technical challenges in getting "absolute" boost targeting working so for now the maps are all "additive" based. This includes map6 where you can specify how much boost over the factory curve you want applied by engine speed.

Name:  20160627_100147.jpg
Views: 10115
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  n63_jb4_dyno.jpg
Views: 10083
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  062716_1203.jpg
Views: 9998
Size:  46.0 KB

n63 JB4 MAP GUIDE:

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: 4psi over stock additive
Map 2: 6psi over stock additive
Map 3: Undefined
Map 4: Stock map w/ CANbus enabled
Map 5: Undefined
Map 6: User defigned boost additive map. Enter boost over stock values to use. Requires experienced tuner.
Map 7: 8psi over stock additive, requires BCM
Map 8: Undefined

Firmware Updates:

Current dash settings as of OBDII v1 firmware:

'***************************************
'OBDII In Dash Menu
'***************************************

'0 map menu, map shown on tach (TACH shows Map)
'1 Unused
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 50% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (OFF tach = 0, ON tach = 1000)
'3 Unused
'4 Delete fault codes.
'5 1st gear boost limiter. (Tach = boost cap / 3)
'6 2nd gear boost limiter. (Tach = boost cap / 3)
'7 3rd gear boost limiter. (Tach = boost cap / 3)

Basic overview of the wheel controls:

Copyright Notice:
JB4 Software is Copyright 2006-2016 by Burger Motorsports Incorporated. All rights are reserved. De-compilation, disassembly, reverse-engineering, alteration, and redistribution in any form without the prior written consent of Burger Motorsports Inc. is prohibited.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Here is a comparison to our previous best using the Stage2 system.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM

Note this post is a living document. Will update with additional photos and info as we can.

Directions for older Stage1 or Stage2 to JB4 upgrade kit:

If you ordered a full JB4 system and are not upgrading an existing Stage1 or Stage1 system disregard this section.

When upgrading an installed Stage2 system to a JB4 you're going to first remove all wires from the DME connection putting those connections back to stock within the DME to avoid mixing up wire positions. Also note when upgrading a Stage2 system 7 loose Stage2 wires will be cut off the JB4 harness. We suggest cutting them around 6" from the control box in case you accidentally cut the off the single loose wire that needs to remain. Alternatively you could just cover each end in tape and bundle them together out of the way. The one loose that will remain is the purple male wire going to JB4#19.

The JB4 upgrade kit includes 4 new wires. A pair of green and a pair of purple.

The green wires are plugged in to the JB4 connector as indicated:
Green female JB4#8
Green male JB4#14

The purple pair connects to:
Purple female JB4#9
Purple male JB4#19 (note those upgrading from a Stage2 system already have a purple male wire in the spot and reuse that wire)

There is a single long green/brown wire that has a small black MOLEX connector on it. This is for the OBDII CANbus directions. It installs as follows:
Green wire JB4#2
Brown wire JB4#15

Install directions for JB4 N63/S63:

1) Install the TMAP connectors and control box per the n63 Stage1 installation guide: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...e1_install.pdf
2) Install the OBDII Cable per the s63tu JB4 guide: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...46&postcount=2
3) The two remaining pair of wires, green and purple, are only needed when using E85 fuels. They attach to the DME similar to the obsoleted N63 Stage2. Note only the green/purple positions in the video are accurate. BCM wires are NOT shown in video.

Fuel control:

Circuit A (purple pair):
Purple female from JB4#9 to DME black connector #45
Purple male from JB4#19 to wire removed above

Name:  n63_purple.jpg
Views: 8007
Size:  107.8 KB

Circuit B (green pair):
Green female from JB4#8 to DME gray connector #44
Green male from JB4#14 to wire removed above

Name:  n63_green.jpg
Views: 8135
Size:  108.3 KB

Optional BCM

Cliff notes:

Brown BCM female to DME black connector #17
Black BCM female to DME gray connector #6
Ground to strut brace
blue dsub pin to DB25#1
Red to switched 12v in relay box fuse tap

For those running E85 or race gas the BCM (boost control module) will help the JB4 directly drive the wastegates maximizing their potential.

1) Blue wire with DSUB pin connects to JB4#1. If there is already a wire in there from a previous Stage2 install then just splice them together

2) Ground attaches to the strut bolt or any suitable grounding point

3) Red connects to 12v switched power which is found inside the fuse/delay box as shown. Remove the fuse and then slide it back in along with the BCM wire as a "fuse tap".
Name:  bcm_red.jpg
Views: 9847
Size:  76.8 KB

4) The brown loop connects to the DME black connector spot #17. Note wire in photo is incorrectly shown as blue.
Name:  bcm_blue.jpg
Views: 8572
Size:  100.2 KB

5) The black wire loop connects to the DME gray connector #6
Name:  gray_black.jpg
Views: 9218
Size:  113.7 KB

Reference video from obsoleted N63 Stage2 system to show how DME connectors come apart and how to attach wires. Use this video as a guide for how to access pins but note black/brown BCM wires on N63/S63 JB4 go in DIFFERENT locations.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 06-27-2016, 01:58 PM

Awesome stuff

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#5)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2015 335i GT MPPK+
Default 06-27-2016, 02:10 PM

Sure, after I get rid of the 7 the big power comes. Is there going to be a JB4 for the TU? I can't bring myself to buy another BMW out of warranty.

EDIT: Or better yet, is the S63 one going to support the new X5Ms? No sense in having a 600hp sedan when you can have an 800hp SUV.

Mike Levy
2015 335i xDrive Gran Turismo

Last edited by Mike_L; 06-27-2016 at 02:18 PM..
(#6)
Old

Car: 2012 335is
Default 06-27-2016, 03:20 PM

Sleeper
(#7)
Old

Car: X5 50i Beast
Default 06-27-2016, 03:44 PM

Wow, as a Stage 2 owner, I'm completely psyched.

If we're using a max of regular 93 octane, the BCM module would be unnecessary then?

Thanks Terry.

2012 X5 E70 50i MSport, JB Stage 2
2015 GTi w/PP, Neuspeed Stage 1

Last edited by 335ilurker; 06-27-2016 at 03:58 PM..
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2016, 05:17 PM

Yes the BCM and even the fuel wires don't need to be installed for just 93 octane.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Car: 550i
Default 06-27-2016, 06:48 PM

timeframe of when this will be available?
I know this will be a FAQ, if we purchased stage 2 used, will we still be able to fall under the stage 1 upgrade category? or have to pay full purchase price?
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-27-2016, 07:40 PM

Should be able to ship some early units this week.

For non-original purchasers you can still upgrade, you just get to pay the $350, like a Stage1->JB4 upgrade.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: 550i
Default 06-27-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Should be able to ship some early units this week.

For non-original purchasers you can still upgrade, you just get to pay the $350, like a Stage1->JB4 upgrade.
Nice!! Can't wait to purchase, will go nice with my AA cattless DP, Badblack N63 CAIntake, custom straight/h-pipe exhaust, and replacing my current BMS N63 Stage 2

Too bad I'm in Southern California though, so i'll have to figure out how to get it shipped to me from another state.

Last edited by BCK2BLN; 06-27-2016 at 08:08 PM..
(#12)
Old

Car: 2011 550xi
Default 06-27-2016, 08:07 PM

So I just picked up a 550xi which has the Dinan intake and exhaust setup, and just found out today that it also has the Dinan stage 4 tune. Would I benefit at all from the JB4, and if so, should I be getting this flashed back to stock? The Dinan stage 4, with these mods claims 507/580 crank hp/torque. What do you think I'd see compared to the JB4 on 92 (Oregon) pump? Would love to run a JB, as we previously come from the 335 world.

And before the naysayers come in, I didn't purchase the Dinan stuff, so I let someone else pay the Dinan tax .
(#13)
Old

Car: 2011 550i M-Sport
Default 06-28-2016, 11:59 PM

I have a stage 1.

Is this new stage 2 different from the old stage 2?

If so, does it run safer than the old stage 2? (coil or maf going bad)

Is it worth it to upgrade to this new stage 2 if we plan on running 93 most of the time?

550i M Sport - Alpine White - Vossen CV4 Graphite / H&R Sport springs / Active Autowerke Down pipes & Exhaust / BMS Stage 1
(#14)
Old
Senior Lurker

Car: E90 335i Black/Black
Default 06-29-2016, 01:55 PM

I'm really glad i waited to pull the trigger on the S2 module. Terry, two questions:

Any reason this won't work on an X5 (N63)?

Also, if one plans to be on 91 oct most of the time, does the S3+BCM help at all?

2013 E70 X5 xdrive50i
2007 E90 335i - SOLD
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM

For 91 octane zero need for BCM. Probably no need on 93 octane either. That's mainly for E85 and race gas mixtures.

On the X5 N63 support we don't have one here for development. I suspect it will work normally as is or with some minor firmware changes.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Car: X5 50i Beast
Default 06-30-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes the BCM and even the fuel wires don't need to be installed for just 93 octane.
So on 93, you would expect current Stg 2 power levels (i.e. from my Stg 2 box) but with the convenience of CANBUS features.

Or is there a little bit more power in there without the fuel wires or BCM?

2012 X5 E70 50i MSport, JB Stage 2
2015 GTi w/PP, Neuspeed Stage 1
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-30-2016, 09:59 AM

Just don't know yet. It's early days...

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Default 07-03-2016, 05:28 PM

This is awesome news!! Will there be a CANflap option with this?
(#19)
Old

Car: 2013 550i m-sport
Default 07-03-2016, 06:28 PM

It includes maps changable from the bc button, but anyone able to give me a rundown of the indash settings? My cable comes this week along with bluetooth. I tried setting the left arrow and right arrow to both 1 and under wot felt a lot of bucking. So now i must wait for someone more experienced to help out. Or if your in south florida, and want to help me figure it out, along with borrow your cable for a few, id pay.
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-04-2016, 05:00 PM

Behind on making an installation guide for the setup. Even though it's pretty straight forward. For those going at it take some photos and post them to this thread. Will help me save some time when making the full guide.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-04-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb224
This is awesome news!! Will there be a CANflap option with this?
We don't have the flapper commands currently for the N63 models but the structure is in place if we're able to find them.

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM

So in dash map changing in the beta?
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-05-2016, 02:45 PM

Yes in n63 dash menu works the same as s63tu. Will update that in first post shortly.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Car: 2013 550i m-sport
Default 07-05-2016, 02:59 PM

Thanks for all the help Terry. Is map 4 the same as having it set to map 0 or is there any gains vs no jb4 with map 4? Im still not going wot until i can datalog but im going up to 4k rpms normal spirited driving to play with it.
(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-06-2016, 10:35 AM

Yes, map4 is stock tuning, but with CANbus enabled for logging.

Burger Motorsports