N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 B48/B58 Firmware, Settings, and Notes - 06-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, INC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, Inc hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

This thread will be the single source of information for everything BMW B48/B58 JB4 related! Note both engines use the same hardware. The JB4 will detect the different during installation and map accordingly.

B48/B58 JB4 Install Guide: Latest Install Guide

JB4 Windows Interface: Latest Interface Download. When updating your interface you may need to first go to "add remove programs" and "remove" your previous JB4 interface. The B58 JB4 is fully compatible with JB4 Mobile and the REV2 & REV3 blue tooth adapters!

If you need directions on how to connect a laptop to your JB4 to update firmware or how to datalog Click here.

Map Guide as of v8 firmware:

Map0: Stock tuning, fully disable JB4
Map1: Additive map with peak of 3psi over stock added (91 octane)
Map2: Additive map with peak of 4psi over stock added (91-93 octane)
Map3: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added (93+ octane)
Map4: Stock tuning with CANbus features active
Map5: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added & more aggressive timing profile for higher octane fuel (experimental, 93+ octane, bolt on modifications)
Map6: Custom tuning map allowing both additive (below 10psi) and absolute (above 10psi) targeting
Map7: WMI map (boost varies based on WMI additive and map settings)

Firmware:

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_8:

1) Adjusted map numbering per above!
2) Removed intake temperature signal adjustment from map1. Option is now available for map6 or map7 using the 6cyl timing field. 0 disables it, value of 10 increases IAT sensor readings lowering timing, value of 70 decreases IAT sensor readings increasing timing. Adjustment active on maps 6 and 7 only. Experimental feature.
3) Adjusted additive maps so they can be used without OBDII cable

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_7:

1) Added CANflap operation to allow control of the factory exhaust flapper from the drivers seat. Press the BC button for a second to change modes. Left arrow is flapper open full time, right arrow flapper in OEM operation which is generally closed unless at full throttle.
2) Internal CANbus changes to improve speed and operation.
3) Groundwork for virtual flex fuel sensor added. See E85 FAQ below.
4) Wastegate dutycycle offset for cars with modified exhaust that experience excessive throttle closure. When equipped with an EWG connector on the JB4 harness FutureUseA can be used to apply a static negative offset. Generally a value of 30 is a good starting point.

Default Settings:

Name:  b58_defaults.jpg
Views: 9684
Size:  72.3 KB

'***************************************
'OBDII In Dash Menu
'***************************************

'0 map menu, map shown on tach
'1 Not currently used
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 50% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (OFF tach = 0, ON tach = 1000)
'3 Not currently used
'4 Delete fault codes
'5 1st gear boost limiter, setting for gear boost limiters is RPM = boost * 200. e.g. 2000rpm = 10psi cap, 3000rpm = 15psi cap.
'6 2nd gear boost limiter
'7 3rd gear boost limiter

Copyright Notice:
JB4 Software is Copyright 2006-2016 by Burger Motorsports Incorporated. All rights are reserved. De-compilation, disassembly, reverse-engineering, alteration, and redistribution in any form without the prior written consent of Burger Motorsports Inc. is prohibited.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: hex BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_8.hex (73.3 KB, 1111 views)

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 06-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B48/B58 FUD settings as of v7+
*B48/B58 JB4

FUD:
bit0 - Disable in dash BC button controls
bit1 - Disable wastegate adaption.
bit2 - Disable oil temp warmup safety.
bit3 - User adjustable PWM meth control
bit4 - Enable alternative meth input algorithm where 0-100% flow = .5v - 4.5v input.
bit5 - Disable CANbus when boost is less than 1.5psi
bit6 - Enable cyl 2-6 timing logging (reduces CANbus sample rate on other parameters)
bit7 - Force actual boost value out MAP sensor

FutureUseA: Negative offset to dutycycle via EWG connector to correct for over boost conditions when PWM is low

FAQ

Can I run E85 with this platform?

E85 can be mixed in but with trade offs. The BMW B48/B58 platform has an internal fuel cap that causes the DME to reduce it's internal boost target as fuel volume increases above expected levels. Since E85 requires a higher fuel volume the net result is a lower boost target. While small mixtures of 10-20% can be used to increase lower octane fuels expect a little less boost when running it. If equipped with the factory PPK tuning the internal fuel limit is higher and you can effectively get away with a little heavier ethanol mixture.

What is the optional EWG harness for?

This plugs in to the JB4 connector using the same directions as the N55 EWG plug (purple in #9, blue in #16) and allows the JB4 to increase or decrease the wastegate dutycycle directly. Cars running a WMI kit may benefit with the JB4 being able to more effectively add boost. While those with certain exhaust modifications may benefit from having the JB4 reduce wastegate dutycycle to prevent boost creep and throttle closure. In most cases there is no benefit to adding in this optional connector. After attaching pins to JB4 harness plug the EWG connector itself to the factory plug on the wastegate by removing the airbox and unsnaping the heat blanket covering the EWG assembly.

What is the optional fuel pressure harness for?

This plugs in to the JB4 connector (green wire goes in #21, black wire goes in #4, fuel pressure plug attaches to fuel pressure sensor under engine cover) and allows the JB4 to both datalog high fuel pressure and also offset the fuel pressure signal back to the DME adjusting fuel trims. This sensor DOES NOT increase the DME's internal fuel limit or its tendency to reduce it's boost target as fuel volume increases. It is suggested for correcting fuel trim issues in unique situations like for a larger turbo, heavy E85 mixture experimentation, etc. In most cases there is no benefit to this optional connector.

Is WMI (water methanol injection) compatible with the B48/B58?

Yes! In addition to increasing octane WMI also supplements the fuel system allowing more boost and a richer air/fuel ratio under the DME fuel cap. Installation is the same as the F series N55. FSB blue goes to #14, FSB orange goes to #3.

Random Development Timeline:

6/18/15: Just placed an order for a Mediterranean Blue metallic BMW 340i automatic. It will have the new B58 engine which I suspect will be very similar to the N55. But we'll find out in 2-3 months! Car is being made in the South Africa factory. Hope they do a good job of it.
11/27/15: Finally showed up! Only took six months lol. Will get going on some baseline numbers and tuning next week!
11/28/15: Got a JB4 B58 Prototype up and running including full CANbus control!
12/1/15: Initial Dyno Testing: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35355
12/15/15: Early B58 JB4 E85 Dyno Testing. Platform is not really E85 friendly at least for now: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430180
1/8/16: Early adopter systems are available on our website: http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_JB4_...nce_tuner.html
3/3/16: BMS B58 Methanol Testing: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37518

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 06-18-2015, 10:39 AM

Haha always on top!

F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.9, 60-130: 5.6
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 06-18-2015, 11:52 AM

thats awesome hopefully it has some potential

12' DCT 135i
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#5)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-18-2015, 01:12 PM

That's awesome dude CONGRATS!!

I have a feeling these things are going to be pretty quick. Looked like a tubular manifold with a twin scroll. looks promising but time will tell.

2011 135i - N55 - JB4 ISO - FBO + Meth + Corn
VTT JB Stage 2 with VTT Forge DV and VTT N55 Waste Gate Upgrade

Pump Gas
60' ... 1.850
1/8 MPH ... 98.06
1/4 ... 11.735
Trap ... 122.71
(#6)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 06-18-2015, 01:22 PM

would be fun to see the tuning difference in the B58 vs N55

a fun read
http://blogs.youwheel.com/2015/06/12...linder-engine/

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: JB4 G5 w/BMS E85 Flash, quaife LSD, RB Inlets, BMS Meth, AA 6 IC, BMS Charge Pipe: 11.9@118mph 421hp/466tq (stock intake, stock exhaust)
Company Car: 991 GT3 RSR
(#7)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 06-18-2015, 02:30 PM

BMS always on top of things!!!

What other options did you get?

- BMW 535i - Sport - Sport Auto - JB4 G5 ISO - DCI - BMS E85 BackEnd via MHD -

- Suzuki GSX-R750 - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Mirror Block-Offs - WoodCraft RearSets - Yoshimura Frame Sliders -
(#8)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 06-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED

a fun read
That is a great read. Short and informative my favorite!

12' DCT 135i
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#9)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-18-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
That is a great read. Short and informative my favorite!
If that thing makes more power than our n55 easier I'm lighting my car on fire

2011 N55 335i E92
PURE STAGE 2 FBO
JB4+BMS MHD BEF E50
FX500 Clutch
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-18-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11
BMS always on top of things!!!

What other options did you get?
Backup camera only. I rarely get any options on the development cars.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-18-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED

a fun read
Nice fine! I didn't know it was closed deck.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 06-18-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Backup camera only in case my wife needs to move it out of the driveway. I rarely get any options on the development cars.
No M-Sport to get rid of the 130mph limiter?

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-19-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Backup camera only in case my wife needs to move it out of the driveway. I rarely get any options on the development cars.
Didn't you learn your lesson with the N55 135i?

Can't wait to see it but where the heck are you going to put it?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#14)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335xi E90 N55
Default 06-19-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just placed an order for a Mediterranean Blue metallic 340i, automatic. It will have the new B58 engine which I suspect will be very similar to the N55. But we'll find out in 2-3 months! Car is being made in the South Africa factory. Hope they do a good job of it.
*Like* on the color!

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4 ISO 5.5, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel (Fuel Rail Pressure) Wires, Wheel Lock Set, Ethanol Content Sensor - No problems up to E70 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
(#15)
Old

Car: E90 LCI N55
Default 06-19-2015, 07:39 AM

Interesting article, air to liquid intercooler and a mechanical water pump..
(#16)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 06-19-2015, 07:51 AM

I really like the design of the turbo manifold, almost looks like an equal length,

does it look like the exhaust side will be a 4" down-pipe?

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: JB4 G5 w/BMS E85 Flash, quaife LSD, RB Inlets, BMS Meth, AA 6 IC, BMS Charge Pipe: 11.9@118mph 421hp/466tq (stock intake, stock exhaust)
(#17)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 06-19-2015, 08:33 AM

im sure everyone are wondering if the turbo manifold fits the N55

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" ** / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#18)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 06-19-2015, 08:54 AM

Can't wait to see what this thing can do. Oh man I hope they make an M240i.
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-19-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Didn't you learn your lesson with the N55 135i?

Can't wait to see it but where the heck are you going to put it?
lol I know. The N18 MINI and 2011 white 335i are both scheduled to be decommissioned soon. Should free up some spots.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Can't wait to see what this thing can do. Oh man I hope they make an M240xi.
small correction

(#21)
Old

Car: 135i, 2010, N55, DCT
Default 06-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just placed an order for a Mediterranean Blue metallic 340i, automatic. It will have the new B58 engine which I suspect will be very similar to the N55. But we'll find out in 2-3 months! Car is being made in the South Africa factory. Hope they do a good job of it.
Hi Terry, it will be better than you expect. High standards here. Maybe we will throw in a water/meth system aswell.

N55 DCT, 135i, 12.00@116.2, W/O Meth
,12.01@119.3, With Meth
,11.91@119.025 added BMS Intake
,12.10@115 e85 + ISO
390whp@497 - 0.60 in 3.75sec
(#22)
Old

Car: 2012 BMW 135i
Default 06-22-2015, 03:04 AM

This is exciting news! Leave it to BMS to be on the leading edge for development.
(#23)
Old

Car: 135i 2012
Default 08-20-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344
Interesting article, air to liquid intercooler and a mechanical water pump..
This caught my attention also. I'm indifferent to the intercooler, but the mechanical water pump should live longer than these electric ones.
The rear timing chain sounds like the pita.

2012 135i dct, jb4,bms cai, cp.
(#24)
Old

Car: 135
Default 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venoml2k
This caught my attention also. I'm indifferent to the intercooler, but the mechanical water pump should live longer than these electric ones.
The rear timing chain sounds like the pita.
Just put a $1000 water pump in my 135i convertible at 70,000 miles. My mechanic was mildly impressed it lasted so long.

Two months ago I put a $70 water pump in my 10 year old Nissan truck at 175,000 miles - my first repair outside of three batteries, oil, and brake pads.

My 135i is pushing $30,000 in repairs in the first $70,000 miles. Worst car I've ever owned by 10x, but thanks to Terry at least it's fun!

Last edited by Z-8; 08-30-2015 at 12:58 PM..
(#25)
Old

Car: 135i 2012
Default 08-31-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8
Just put a $1000 water pump in my 135i convertible at 70,000 miles. My mechanic was mildly impressed it lasted so long.

Two months ago I put a $70 water pump in my 10 year old Nissan truck at 175,000 miles - my first repair outside of three batteries, oil, and brake pads.

My 135i is pushing $30,000 in repairs in the first $70,000 miles. Worst car I've ever owned by 10x, but thanks to Terry at least it's fun!
I've only had mine for a short time. I've encountered a few issues, but so far (knocking on wood) nothing I couldn't take care of myself.
enjoy driving it, and am looking forward to a few more upgrades. Jb4, and filter were my first, now contemplating a ********. (Noise vs power)

2012 135i dct, jb4,bms cai, cp.