N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-12-2012, 10:13 PM

It helps but you really need Stage2 to take full advantage of the lag reduction.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#52)
Old

Default 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Terry,

Can you go into more detail as to whats different between the F10's Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes?

Dynos so far seems to be about the same between the two. What exactly are those two wires tapped into the canbus system actually control besides deleting out codes??

Alan
(#53)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM

The JB4 has can access so provides stronger tuning, better boost control, and a more robust lagfix. In addition to the built in code delete. It's all around a faster, smoother, and better tune. But, drawback is the extra wires to install. The JB4 for F10 also has limited support compared to say the JB4 for the N55 335, but as time passes more features will be added via software updates. I think there are maybe 20 F10 N55s using the JB4 currently, compared to around 14,000 on N54s and non-F10 N55s, so it's easy to see why our development priories are where they are. But the F10 JB4 is stable and working well for those using it.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#54)
Old

Default 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for that Terry.

What is currently limiting the power gains for the F10 now compared to the E9x N55 guys which seem to be putting down significantly more power? Its pretty sad that we are struggling to put down 300whp even with the "stage 2" tune.

Alan
(#55)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L.
Thanks for that Terry.

What is currently limiting the power gains for the F10 now compared to the E9x N55 guys which seem to be putting down significantly more power? Its pretty sad that we are struggling to put down 300whp even with the "stage 2" tune.

Alan
The F10 S2 will do maybe 10hp less than an equivalent 335, which does maybe 10hp less than an equivalent 135. The N55 simply doesn't make a lot of power compared to say an N54. But the on road performance increases are a lot more dramatic than the dyno would indicate. Part of the issue is the tuning is programmed to turn conservative if it detects higher temperatures and at the dyno there often isn't really sufficient airflow to cool properly.

Burger Motorsports

(#56)
Old

Car: 2011 535i (sport, prem 1,2)
Default F10 Stage 2 out of BETA??? - 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM

I just noticed that the Stage 2 JB4 is now listed on the BMS website. Is the F10 stage 2 finally out of its BETA classification. I wonder if any changes were made from the F10 BETA version. I know Terry recently got some new Posi-Taps for those couple of wires that need to be spliced.

Last edited by bigdeep1; 02-04-2013 at 08:14 PM..
(#57)
Old

Default 11-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Heard from another forum that this would likely not work for me, since I don't have the wires in the right places? My build date is 3/2011.

(#58)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Right, we've made the F10 Stage2 an upgrade to the Stage1 only. And to use it you must have the CAN wires in place. Some cars don't, for some reason, and those cars can only use Stage1.

Burger Motorsports

(#59)
Old

Default 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Right, we've made the F10 Stage2 an upgrade to the Stage1 only. And to use it you must have the CAN wires in place. Some cars don't, for some reason, and those cars can only use Stage1.
Okay, and the CAN Tool can take care of deleting the codes as Stage 2 would for the 535i?
(#60)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Correct.

Burger Motorsports

(#61)
Old
BMW Freak

Car: F10 535i
Default 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Terry,

I'm interested in buying the JB4 stage 2 for my F10 but I keep hearing that both stage 1 and 2 are needed for a successful installation on the F10's.

Can you please explain why both stages are needed since a few members went straight to stage 2 with no issues.

Thank you.

Last edited by Mr. Grumpy; 11-17-2012 at 12:56 PM..
(#62)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Stage2 is available in a BETA / experimental format only. We force you to also buy Stage1 so you have a tune to use if the Stage2 box doesn't work out for you.

Burger Motorsports

(#63)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM

Good news, the F10 N55 shares its CAN data with the F30 N55. Working on a sweet new software update for you guys. Will post when ready for a few testers.

Burger Motorsports

(#64)
Old

Car: 2011 F10
Default 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM

Did that light at the end of the tunnel just get turned on? Yippee!

2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, Technology Package, M Sport Package, Executive Package delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.
(#65)
Old

Default 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM

Ah yeah. Shiet just got interesting

Hints as to what we should expect?

Alan
(#66)
Old

Car: F10 535iX
Default 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM

Hurray Fantastic news! Ready to order DP for coming season
(#67)
Old

Car: 2011 535i (sport, prem 1,2)
Default 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM

Awesome update Terry!! I was wondering if both N55 engine programming (F30 & F10) were more similar than once thought. I guess you just gave us the answer . I am sure the N55HP would be different. What's that I smell - Hope?

Terry, I would be more than happy to be a first adopter of this updated Stage 2 when it becomes available. Of course, we would all love to see before and after dyno results .

I am also keeping my eyes peeled for your rumored F10 N55 intake. It would make a sweet "Stage 2 package" (wink).
(#68)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Can't share any details yet. But, will be a significant update.

Burger Motorsports

(#69)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM

The F10 software update we're working on is the same as the F30 Stage2. So results should be similar to these F30 dyno runs: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...533#post248533

Burger Motorsports

(#70)
Old

Default 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM

If this is true then this is great news for N55 F10 guys. Right now guys running the current s2 set is barely making 300whp and 350wtq and that's with ******* *********.

Are you running more boost in this update?

Alan
(#71)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
If this is true then this is great news for N55 F10 guys. Right now guys running the current s2 set is barely making 300whp and 350wtq and that's with ******* *********.

Are you running more boost in this update?

Alan
Similar boost targets, but better boost and throttle control, though. The F10s may make a bit less horsepower. I'll get a local one on the dyno here in the next few weeks and we'll see. Still working on our F10 intake as well.

Burger Motorsports

(#72)
Old

Default 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Let me know if you need me to find someone local for you to test since i'm very active on the F10 forums and i'm sure someone is down to beta test plus dyno time.

300whp/350wtq compared to 336/419 is a huge difference so i'm not sure whats going on here if the F10 and F30 both use the same motor/ecu. Theres a few dynos floating around all making about the same power so its not a fluke. Kevin (Lacster) dynoed his car after putting on the AR ********* and barely made 290whp! I am honestly happy if i could get my F10 to hit your numbers with smoother boost control. Right now for me WOT feels great but during cruising situations at speed i can feel boost oscillation when i give it light to medium throttle.

What is the ETA on the F10 intake?

Alan
(#73)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Few of the F10 guys are interested in sending in logs so don't expect much to change until you report issues via email along with a log so we can see what the issue is.

On the intake, we don't do ETAs. When it's ready we'll post.

Burger Motorsports

(#74)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Have an early version of this up and running and could use maybe two or three customers to help test it out. Need to be able to do datalogs, though. If anyone is interested shoot me an email. Thx.

Burger Motorsports

(#75)
Old

Car: F10 535i
Default 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Let me know if you need me to find someone local for you to test since i'm very active on the F10 forums and i'm sure someone is down to beta test plus dyno time.

300whp/350wtq compared to 336/419 is a huge difference so i'm not sure whats going on here if the F10 and F30 both use the same motor/ecu. Theres a few dynos floating around all making about the same power so its not a fluke. Kevin (Lacster) dynoed his car after putting on the AR ********* and barely made 290whp! I am honestly happy if i could get my F10 to hit your numbers with smoother boost control. Right now for me WOT feels great but during cruising situations at speed i can feel boost oscillation when i give it light to medium throttle.

What is the ETA on the F10 intake?

Alan
This seems to be something I'm used to. I had the same issue with my E60 535, I would run the same tune and *** back exhaust but my HP and tq were always lower than the e9x guys.