N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default F Series N20 4-banger JB4 - 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, INC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, Inc hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

http://www.burgertuning.com/N20_Jb4.html

Hey guys,

We'll use this post as a single point of reference for all information related to the N20/N26 JB4 tuning!

The Stage1 is a simple to install tune offering reliable 20-35whp power gains. It's intended for otherwise unmodified cars and is a single map system. Just install and enjoy. It removes without a trace when needed!

The JB4 is a more advanced tune that includes CAN bus access, support for additional modifications, more extensive data logging and laptop support, the ability to turn on or disable from the drivers seat, methanol support, E85 support, etc. Installation is similar to Stage1 only with the exception of extra wires for power, ground, and CAN bus. The JB4 is intended for more aggressive enthusiasts.

JB4 Interface: Latest Interface Download.

How to connect your windows laptop and upload new firmware. Click here.

Installation guide here: http://burgertuning.com/instructions/JB_n20_install.pdf

JB4 91 octane dyno testing: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19049

320i Stage1 & JB4 dyno testing: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...36&postcount=1

JB4 E85 Dyno testing: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?35853

JB4 Map Guide

Map 0: JB4 disabled.
Map 1: PWG models absolute target 21psi peak, EWG models additive 4psi peak over stock.
Map 2: PWG models absolute target 22psi peak, EWG models additive 6psi peak over stock.
Map 3: Progressive Methanol Injection. Requires BMS methanol kit or BMS FSB for meth pump control.
Map 4: Stock performance, JB4 on
Map 5: Absolute targeting map with a peak boost 17psi. Suitable for 320 & 520 applications.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas absolute target map. Peak boost 23psi. This is a fairly aggressive map and increases engine damage risk. Use with caution.

JB4 E85 Use

If equipped with the FlexFuel add on connector E85 mixtures may be used with pneumatic wastegate x28i models and the x20i electronic wastegate models. E85 is NOT supported for the electronic wastegate x28i model. When using E85 a mixture of no more than 40% is suggested.

JB4 Firmware

Firmware for both the F chassis pneumatic, electronic wastegate, and E chassis (X1, Z4, etc) are posted at the bottom of this post. If you decide to update your firmware be sure to upload the appropriate one for your platform.

Note models using the pneumatic wastegate, primarily 2013-early 2014 models where the JB4 harness blue patch is connected, need to use PWG firmware. Those equipped with an electronic wastegate, primarily 2014+ models where the JB4 blue batch is NOT used, need to use EWG firmware. In addition those using the OBDII CANbus connector will use OBDII firmware while those using the older POSITAP method for connecting to the CANbus would use POSITAP firmware. Loading the wrong firmware may result in check engine lights and other problems so if you don't know then don't update.

EWG Add-On Connector Installation:

1) Note this connector even if installed is ignored on maps 1 & 2. If these are the only maps you use there is no reason to add the EWG connector.
2) Before updating the harness you should update the JB4 firmware. The correct firmware for the new wastegate will have a EWG in it which stands for "electronic waste gate". After uploading the firmware you can disconnect the negative battery cable to perform the remaining steps. Firmware is attached to this thread. Set PID Gain to 10 and AutoShiftBoostReduction to 10. We also suggest lowering FF / Wastegate Adaption manually to 50 so it can learn itself up or down. All other settings are unchanged.
3) The new harness has two long wires coming from it. Purple and blue. Each will have a gold DSUB pin which is to be inserted in the JB4 harness similar to how the FlexFuel connector is added.
4) The purple wire (going to the male pin on the wastegate harness) connects to position #9 on the DB25 connector.
5) The blue wire (going to the female pin on the wastegate harness) connects to position #16 on the DB25 connector. Note if equipped with a BMS methanol kit then the FSB blue wire going to the FSB must be relocated to the DB9 (usb cable) position #9.
6) The connector itself is routed to the wastegate which is fairly easy to reach for the N2x platform. Unplug the OEM connector, attach it to the male connection, and plug the new female connection in to the wastegate. Route the wire out of the way so it does not melt on the exhaust, etc.
7) Do a few datalogs to adapt the JB4/car and ensure boost is close to target. If not adjust FF up or down as needed.

JB4 Notes

1) The JB4 has hot & cold oil temperature protection. The tune will remain off until oil temps are > 160 degrees for proper lubrication and will disable if they exceed 280 degrees.
2) Map switching is different for OBDII CANbus systems vs. POSITAP systems. Both videos are posted below.
3) The X1 & Z4 N20 JB4 is very different than the F series N20 JB4. They use special firmware (with full dash control) and have a different CAN mounting location. The firmware is below and labeled for X1/Z4 series N20. X1 N20 JB4 Install video & details here.
4) With the 520 & 528 POSITAP systems the power connection and CAN wires are under the passenger side cover. Refer to the install guide for photos.
5) If you don't read the install directions and accidentally install the MAF connector (purple harness loom on older harnesses) with JB4 tuning the car will run poorly and throw codes. Leave the purple harness tucked out of the way by the control box. Note as of 2014 we removed the purple patch all together form the JB4_N20 harness.
6) The firmware posted below is for the JB4 only! Do not attempt to update the firmware on a Stage1 system.

OBDII Firmware Wheel Controls and Map Switching In Dash:

OBDII FIRMWARE IN DASH GUIDE:

'***************************************
Exhaust Valve Mode:

Toggle between flap open, flap closed, and OEM operation, by pressing the button for 2 seconds and letting go. The left blinker will flash for valve open, right blinker for valve closed, and both blinkers for OEM operation. The valve setting is persistent and will remain in effect until you change it. If you hold the button too long you'll jump in to the in dash menu system below.

'OBDII In Dash Menu

'0 map menu, map shown on tach
'1 Active Sound MUTE (not relevant for most N55 models)
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 50% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use.
'3 LED MAX brightness mode. For those with factory LED headlights this option brightens HALO during nighttime operation.
'4 OBDII Diagnostic Code Delete
'5 1st gear boost limiter
'6 2nd gear boost limiter
'7 3rd gear boost limiter

Install overview for the 320/328/520/528 Install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk4ZYq0iuCE

Install guide overview for the X1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyWgDC5wv_8

Map changing for POSITAP firmware:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeksFSXU9iE

Upgrading POSITAP systems to new OBDII CANbus:
We've developed a custom OBDII port CANbus connector for JB4 CANbus communications. It's easy to install, leaves no trace when removed, and allows us a much wider range of CANbus communications with the vehicle. Currently this is standard with new JB4_N20_EWG systems. JB4_N20_PWG systems still include POSITAPS but development is underway for OBDII. Email if you're interested in helping test it.

To install you drop the panel under the steering wheel by removing 2x 10mm bolts, push the OBDII cable through an existing hole to the firewall to the engine bay, remove the CANbus POSITAPs previously installed, connect the green and brown CANbus wires to this OBDII cable using the supplied wire nuts, and load the dedicated OBDII CAN JB4 firmware.

The required custom made OBDII CANbus cable is $35. Order your OBDII cable here: http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_JB4_upgrades.html

Copyright Notice:
JB4 Software is Copyright 2006-2016 by Burger Motorsports Incorporated. All rights are reserved. De-compilation, disassembly, reverse-engineering, alteration, and redistribution in any form without the prior written consent of Burger Motorsports Inc. is prohibited.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: hex JB4_N20_X1_Z4.hex (77.4 KB, 584 views)
File Type: hex JB4_N20_PWG_POSI_TAPS_6_3.hex (66.0 KB, 956 views)
File Type: hex JB4_N20_EWG_POSI_TAPS_7.hex (61.4 KB, 1337 views)
File Type: hex N20_OBDII_EWG_3.hex (69.2 KB, 2056 views)
File Type: hex N20_OBDII_PWG_1.hex (68.8 KB, 747 views)

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Assistant pedal masher

Car: 335xi
Default 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM

not bad for a 4-pot. GJ BMS!

2011 335xi Sedan 6AT, Premium, CW, Nav, Space Gray, Oyster and black. N55 JB4.
(#3)
Old

Car: F30 335i
Default 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Pretty please something for the F30 N55....
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM

that is awesome news

2008 335i Coupe 6MT
JB4 G5_FBO_BMS Cobb flash_Walbro 455_Spec S2+ Steel SMFW
(#5)
Old

Car: grocery getter
Default 04-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Is PID PSI target? Massive increase in low end torque!
(#6)
Old
ElevenPointFive

Car: 2009 135i
Default 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Nice little 4 banger. The BMW tuning scene is getting better all the time. So many turbo options in the fleet.

2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
bootmod3 Tuned ~ ER *** ~ BMS Intake

2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM
MHD Stage 2+ ~ BMS Intake ~ AMS FMIC ~ CPE ***
(#7)
Old

Car: '09 E90
Default 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM

So where will the WW meth kit go?
(#8)
Old
The Stig

Car: 2008 BMW 135i
Default 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM

That's awesome guys!

2008 135i Montego Blue / Boston Lemon 6MT
Current Mods: JB4 with 15 ohm, BMS Meth Kit DCI, Berk Race, VRSF 3" ***, BMS OCC, BMS 4 LED Halos, VMR V710s
12.5 @ 116mph 2.03 60ft on Street tires, no meth
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-02-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54mike
Is PID PSI target? Massive increase in low end torque!
No, it's the MAP boost signal. Boost is the TMAP signal. The car suffers from the same wind up boost overshoot the OEM N55 tuning does. It's much better with the tuning in place.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old
C63 AMG

Default 04-03-2012, 04:13 AM

terry, how come you never tuned the f10 550i?
(#11)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 04-03-2012, 05:24 AM

Wow Terry! And just getting started with it too. It looks like this engine will be very zippy with some tuning.

Mods: FBO
(#12)
Old

Default 04-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Is WGDC pretty much maxed out since you think you can only get 10 more HP out ot it?
(#13)
Old

Default 04-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancejat
Too small of a market
(#14)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M Sport sedan
Default 04-03-2012, 05:57 AM

What is the difference between Stock (ok, I got this), OEM Tuning and Stage1 Tuning ?
(#15)
Old

Default 04-03-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru
What is the difference between Stock (ok, I got this), OEM Tuning and Stage1 Tuning ?
Stock on the dyno graphs is the e90 328i with the n52 I6 motor. OEM tuning is a stock baseline for the n20 and stage 1 tuning should be obvious.
(#16)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M Sport sedan
Default 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Stock on the dyno graphs is the e90 328i with the n52 I6 motor. OEM tuning is a stock baseline for the n20
Quite unnatural naming for "stock" and "oem tuning" But I get it now.
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Is WGDC pretty much maxed out since you think you can only get 10 more HP out ot it?
It's a little too early to start sharing much tuning info since it appears I'm the only one working on it.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancejat
Maybe some day. But not enough volume to justify the investment at this time.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old
Super Demigod

Car: 335i
Send a message via AIM to themyst
Default 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Looks like the stock FMIC is taking well to the increased boost pressure. Very little IAT creep!

Are you going CPS on the timing with this?

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#20)
Old

Car: 08 E90 335
Default 04-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Damn, you've had it what a week now, and already tuned! How long did it take you guys to tune the n55 when it first came out? And where is the air intake on the n20?
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Yes I had it tuned pretty much the same day. We're getting better at this. Intake is in the front. I have not flow tested it yet but seems pretty beefy for the power levels. We'll be looking at it more closely soon though. ******** too.

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM

Great job Terry. I have a feeling this little engine is going to be pretty fast.

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#23)
Old

Car: E90 335i 6spd sold. Now 03 z06
Default 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Keep up the good work. Do you have any vbox numbers yet?
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibsr335
Keep up the good work. Do you have any vbox numbers yet?
Not yet, but I do plan to run some soon. I'm guessing we get in the high 13s with the tuning. Can't wait to find out.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Made this thread a sticky as we will eventually be adding N20 Stage1 BETA info to it.

Burger Motorsports