Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion - N54Tech.com
(#1)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Car: '07 E90-335xi
Default N54 Injector Swap & Coding Diy! - 02-20-2012, 11:31 PM

First of all, Big Thank You to xbox_fan(bimmerboost.com) for the DIY of swapping the injectors and vasillalov(e*0post.com) for posting a DIY for coding the injectors.

xbox_fan Injector Swap: N54 INJECTOR SWAP DIY
vassillalov Injector Coding: N54 INJECTOR CODING DIY
Also here is hes YT video to code them in; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4CdXq-8RE
Also Thank's to cn555ic for find INPA in English, a bit confusing to get it to work, but you can give it a try, If not you can also use the Link above which a little simplier but not in English. Link: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...64bit-t103023/

INJECTOR PART# 13537585261
DECOUPLING ELEMENT PART# 13537564751
---Best price i've found to get 'em at TischerBMW(getbmwparts.com) + Great costumer service!

USB FOR CODING: BMW INPA / Ediabas K+DCAN USB Interface

I only made this thread with a little more detail/wording for people like me that will get frightened to go inside and do it them selves and tried to add some better understanding on what to do or expect when you're taking this project on a DIY, other then that xbox_fan's and vassilalovs DIY are perfectly fine for anyone with a lil bit of mechanical knowledge!!!

Anyway...
----------------------------------------
I started getting some hesitation/stumble on low rpm's and the car would feel like i'm misfiring badly, but never threw a code no matter how i drove..i tried going wot i tried doing everything to see if i would throw a code but nothing would happen. I had a BMW tech drive my car, and he even agreed that the car feels/is misfiring. I had my plugs changed few months ago and still the same thing.

So i decided to open up the Engine cover to see which style Injectors i have and as it appeared i had 3 New style injectors Part #13537585261 < Were done under a Recall i had late 2011 together with the hpfp. And i had 3 Old injectors since my car was bought i guess...Clynder 456 had the new ones and 123 the old style ones. Contacted TischerBMW and ordered 3 New Injectors Part #13537585261-09 together with 3 Decoupling Elements Part #13537564751..Always order new Decoupling Elements when you buy a new injector as they come seperate!

So i successfully changed and coded the injectors thank's to the diy's posted above, drove the car last night, drove the car today all day no codes no leaks and most importantly my car feels better, car doesnt feel anymore as its misfiring on my 2nd day of changing the old injectors.
-----
Ok, on to changing and coding the Injectors now.
First i took out the Neg from the battery, not sure if this needs to be done, but i did it since i also needed to route the USB cable for JB4 through the glove box.

Ok now, make sure you have all the tools and INPA fully required/working.

The entire process took me anywhere from 30-1hr, i was just being anal and double checking everything since it was my first time, but now i think i could do it in much less time.

First thing i grabbed a notebook and i wrote down the new Injector numbers and also the old ones as well in case i needed them later.

Ok, now take off the cowl completely and take the engine cover off...

Ok now that the cover is off and we can see our injectors, time to get durrty! lol first i decided to take out the Electric connector then slowly loosen up and remove the metal clip that holds injectors together in my case was 1&2, then slowly removed the fuel line, my car was a bit hot since this was like after i only let my car sit for an hour before i decided to do this, so when i loosened up the fuel rail a bit of fuel sprayed but i quickly put a soft cloth on top of it so it doesnt spray on top of my engine, at first i was scared, but only a bit of fuel sprayed and it just evaporated after anyway...just make sure you have something to quickly cover the fuel line from spraying all over.

Ok, now we're ready to Remove the Injector as i stated in the pic below, mildly moved the injector left and right and forcefully just pulled up and it came out pretty quick without using any tools.

Now that the Injector is OUT, time to get our New Injector and put that Baby IN it's home and let it do her thing lol'.
Simply slide up the Decoupling Element as you seen how it was on the Old Injector when you took out, And take off the CAP from the new Injector so we can install it.

Now put the New Injector In and Push mildly until its sitting flush, see pic below! You can mildly also hit it with the bottom of a screw driver until it's sitting good.
Now that we installed that time to put everything back in reverse and tighten up good, before you put the cover on..Double check you're work! and put the cover on and you're done Installing them.

INJECTORS INSTALLED AND ELECTRIC CONNECTOR/FUEL LINE/METAL CLIP ALL IN!
PUT THE ENGINE COVER ON AND TAKE OUT UR PC; READY TO CODE THEM!

^DONE!!!

----------------------------CODING N54 INJECTORS------------------------
Thank's vassilalovs DIY...i suggest you click on his DIY and make sure you have all the files correctly installed to run INPA. And also check his YouTube video for a visual understanding on how to code them in correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4CdXq-8RE

I will post the steps in here anyway just so to have 'em all in one thread.

1. Connect USB cable to PC and OBD
2. Push START/STOP button in the Car to turn on the Ignition.
3. Fire up INPA software
4. Make sure both Circles on IGNITION & BATTERY are SOLID Black!
5. In my case also i have an E90 so i select F9
6. Dialog box pops up, Select ENGINE then Select MSD80 (In my case thats what i have again lol)
7. MSD80 Menu comes on and Select F9 again it would/should say "Systemdiagnossen" in german.
8. Another MSD80 menu comes on and Select; EOL-Injektor...SHIFT+F4!
9. Injector Menu comes on and now you're able to see all you're injectors Values, to see if theyre coded correctly or just code the new ones!
10. In my case i changed Injector 1. so i would select F1 for injector one, a dialog box pops up, and now we enter the code in...First we add the first 3 numbers from the injector on the top dialogbox so lets say the number is 582 we would enter 58.2 and then we enter the bottom 3 numbers, let say we have 221, we would enter 2.21 and press Enter. It is okay if the Value changes by -0.1 or +0.1 incase of 2.21 it could change to like 2.20/2.22 It happened to me and a few members that done this numerous time told me that it happens and that is fine and the injectors Are coded in right as long as you punched them in correctly on the dialog box.

And thats it, we're done! Fire up the car and it should be all goody goody!

CHEERS TO XBOX_FAN & VASSILALOV FOR THEIR GUTS AND EXTENSIVE SEARCH/WORK ON HOW TO GET THIS DONE AND MAKE A GREAT DIY!.

Quote:
I only made this thread with a little more detail/wording for people like me that will get frightened to go inside and do it them selves and tried to add some better understanding on what to do or expect when you're taking this project on a DIY, other then that xbox_fan's and vassilalovs DIY are perfectly fine for anyone with a lil bit of mechanical knowledge!!!
Thank's & and i know its not written all perfect and all i just hope it helps someone down the road...had some free time at work and decided i'd make this thread. :D

Thank you,
-BES!

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'

Last edited by BES335xi; 02-23-2012 at 04:04 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: M3
Default 02-21-2012, 01:28 AM

Excellent, excellent thread.

I respectfully request you repost this on BimmerBoost or allow me permission to do so on your behalf.

(#3)
Old

Car: 335i 2007
Default 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Subscribed!
Excellent DIY guide, thanks
(#4)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Default 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky
Excellent, excellent thread.

I respectfully request you repost this on BimmerBoost or allow me permission to do so on your behalf.
Sure not a problem, Go right ahead bro!, i cant post new threads on there atm anyway too new! lol, but yeah go ahead and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcolon2001
Subscribed!
Excellent DIY guide, thanks
Thank you.

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'

Last edited by BES335xi; 02-21-2012 at 10:34 AM..
(#5)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Great Job! The Pics really help.
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i CDV
Default wow - 02-23-2012, 06:36 AM

excellent work! Now I am about to get busy getting those needed parts and excitment. I guess it's not too much of money issue, but rather of getting this done by myself with help of this thread.

BTW, I am about to purchase that D-can connectors from ebay, the cheapest is about $50. Does that sound reasonable? I've only had cyl 2 and 5 misfires so far, but should I rather try to replace all six at once along with new spark plugs? 07 335i 25k miles. Thanks.
(#7)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Default 02-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najin23
excellent work! Now I am about to get busy getting those needed parts and excitment. I guess it's not too much of money issue, but rather of getting this done by myself with help of this thread.

BTW, I am about to purchase that D-can connectors from ebay, the cheapest is about $50. Does that sound reasonable? I've only had cyl 2 and 5 misfires so far, but should I rather try to replace all six at once along with new spark plugs? 07 335i 25k miles. Thanks.
If the rest are the OLD Style Injectors that the part number does not end with 261 i'd Replace all of them If money is not an issue, if it is replace the ones you have misfires on...That USB link i posted from onestopelectronics, search him up on ebay and offer him 85$ and hell accept, alot of us members did it and he accept it...I dont know look at the cable i posted and see the one ur saying for 50$ see if they both offer the same thing, and then i guess it should work idk.

Also, look thanks to cn555ic, he found INPA in fully English, i posted the link at the top of the page right now.

Last edited by BES335xi; 02-23-2012 at 04:01 PM..
(#8)
Old

Default 02-23-2012, 07:45 AM

$85 you mean the new injectors?
(#9)
Old

Default 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM

never mind. that cable is $85. Well I will probably go for the ebay one....Thanks.
(#10)
Old

Default 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Oh, btw for those who are looking into this project, don't get those used injectors from ebay. They are all those recalled injectors according to the information from recall letter.
(#11)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Default 02-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najin23
Oh, btw for those who are looking into this project, don't get those used injectors from ebay. They are all those recalled injectors according to the information from recall letter.
Yeah +1, best price for new injectors is from TischerBMW(getbmwparts.com)

(#12)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM

Terry can we get this stickied in the DIY section.
(#13)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM

Question for those who know.

A BMW mechanic told me they need to use a special tool to "stretch" something over the injector when installing it. Is that just the Decoupling element ?

AN ANGRY RB E92
(#14)
Old

Default 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Sorry for bringing this thread back up but it's a great read with lots of info.

I had to do all this recently as I changed my valve cover and valve cover gasket, which means taking out the injectors as well as the coils and so on. Point being though, when I was reinstalling the injectors I ran into the only piece of info I didn't have - tightening torques for the fuel lines and for the injector retention clip thing. Does anyone have this information?

The OP got away with simply tightening them hard and looking at the clips nearby but I had to take everything off so I couldn't use that approach. The fuel lines were relatively simple without the tightening torques: I simply turned on the engine without replacing all the covers and made sure I wasn't spilling any fuel (I was at first...), and repeated the process until no more was spilling even at high revs. The retention clip I really had no idea how hard to tighten though, and my car has some rougher idle since the procedure so I'm concerned I didn't tighten enough. So to repeat, if anyone has these tightening torques it would be really, really useful!

chuckd05 - my understanding is the stretching part refers to the rubber rings that you can see near the tip of the injector. If you are buying new injectors, judging by the OP it comes with a metal cover and the rubber ring is already on it, so you don't need the special tool. If however you are taking your injectors out and plan to put them back in (like in my case, where I was after the valve cover), then you need to replace the rubber rings unless you put them back in within 5 minutes. Supposedly, the rings expand if left out for any longer and will/can cause problems.
(#15)
Old

Car: BMW 2010 535i xdrive
Default 02-21-2013, 08:57 PM

GREAT DIY!

I do have a couple of questions about the OBD and INPA..
Can someone briefly describe the INPA software and its capabilities?
Will INPA read and clear check light codes?
Will INPA reset service light?

Im not sure what kind of cable I need to buy?

thanks!!

FYI.. I had a engine code for Misfire in cylinder 1. I changed all spark plugs and tested coils. Still have hiccups in acceleration and misfire in cylinder 1. Sooo.. I am assuming fuel injector is next to change.
(#16)
Old

Default 02-22-2013, 06:37 AM

ebay or amazon $50 cables....don't get them. I've heard many people didn't have any issue coding with jb4 in, well....I've had numerous issues spending so much time, fighting with my wife for not helping her with kids, set to map 0...still didn't work. I ended up getting all the refund, but don't bother. Just get a $100 one from some website(forgot what it was). However, my previous cable worked fine from ebay. The second cable from Amazon was the problem which was sent from Hong Kong.

Getting there: '07 E92 6mt, LSD MFactory, G5 ISO, M3 front control arm/tension strut, DCI, Meth(gone for now), PLM 3" DP, Ebay FMIC(6x6x22), BMS OCC, CDV mod, Short clutch Stop, BMS oil thermostat mod, cowl off filters
(#17)
Old
Legend

Default 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM

The cable everyone recommends (and I use) is from One Stop Electronics you may be able to find them on ebay and offer them $90 shipped. I've had no issues with the cable with jb4 installed (g4 and g5) but it must be on map 0 or it'll fail to connect.

Personally there are enough other variables to work out...software, computer, communications...I felt it was worth the extra few bucks to know I was getting a known good cable so I didn't have one more variable. I've had no issues with INPA...haven't played with NCSexpert yet.

Thought I joined a car forum but all we ever talk about is alcohol, meth, and LSD....sooo confused!
(#18)
Old

Default 12-25-2013, 05:51 AM

Does anyone know if this calibration process will be the same for the new updated index 11 injectors?

12.5 @ 110 JB4 30% e85
(#19)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi
Default Leap of Faith.... - 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Taking a leap here.
Bought a $50 laptop, INPA cable on the way.
Just order 3 injectors from RockAuto-- Standard Auto Products FJ1050 for $93 a piece. I called up Standard and they told be the ARE from BMW and the ARE the 13538616079 P/N. We will see....

I'm pretty sure I've got a dead #6 injector, but since these are supposed to be the -11 version, I'm replacing 4-5-6 all at once. Hey- at least I'll have some spares if any of the 1-2-3 injectors die

And then HOPING that the coding via INPA applies in the same way as it did for the -10 versions.

Any feedback?

Wish me luck!
(#20)
Old

Default 01-23-2014, 02:10 AM

I'm pretty sure the process will be the same, after all, the calibration process involves changing parameters in the ECU and should therefore not at all be dependent on the revision of the injectors.

After two dud cables from ebay I got mine from one stop electronics yesterday and will also be trying in the next month or so (currently trying to replace turbos DIY-style, it's been very tough so far).