N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Rough idle, multiple misfires and limp mode - 11-02-2011, 06:39 AM

So i'm hoping someone has some advice as to what I should try to resolve this issue.

Yesterday I drove to work as usual. No problems. When I left work, I started the car and it was misfiring and chugging like crazy. Eventually went into limp mode (Yellow engine half clear/half yellow).

Pulled the codes, it said there were 6, but only 5 flashed when I checked.

30BB Injector Bank 2 or ECU, Internal Error
2D60 Fuel Mass, Monitor
29D1 Misfire Cyl 5
29D2 Misfire Cyl 6
29CC Misfire Multiple Cylinders

I have an 07 335i w/JB4 and DCI.

I tried clearing the codes but they came back again shortly after. Car barely had enough power to get back into the parking lot.

Very rough idle and when it goes into limp mode, the idle is surging up and down constantly.

I'm new to BMW, but after some research, I'm thinking a sensor or maybe o2 sensor...My plan is to upgrade to the newest firmware, clear the codes, try again. Failing that I'll get it towed home and deal with it there.

I replaced the plugs about 1000km ago, but haven't had any issues until yesterday...

Any thoughts? Thanks
(#2)
Old

Car: AW 335i 6MT
Default 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Probably a bad injector or injectors... Hard to say since you have misfires in multiple cylinders. There was a recall on a lot of the injectors take it to the dealer and see if your car qualifies for the new ones.

JB4, AR Design *********, AA Intercooler, BMS DCI, Vishnu Meth kit, AE exhaust, Koni FSD, Eibach Pro-Kit, 19" Iconz 880Z RB TURBOS
Best ET/Trap: 12.196 @ 122.693 (no methanol)
(#3)
Old
IXLR8

Car: 335xi
Default 11-02-2011, 09:19 AM

This sounds very similar to what happens to me when I do the 1/7 and reset octane, throttle and o2 sensors. The car will start up, and then do this rythmic 1k to 1500k up and down. I have to turn off JB4 and restart a couple times for it to quit. You may try this just for giggles to see if it resets something for you. Clear codes first.

If that doesn't work, a bottle of Jack Daniels may help! (not in the tank tho) :-)

(07 335xi AT) COBB e85 Tune, RB's
(12 X5d) JBd
(#4)
Old

Default 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Ok, so i logged into the laptop and updated the jb4 firmware.

Cleared the codes, but I couldn't clear the 30BB. It would delete, them then just reappear without starting the car.

30BB - DME Digital Motor Electronics, Internal Failure
29D0 - Cylinder 4 Misfire
29D1 - Cylinder 5 Misfire
29D2 - Cylinder 6 Misfire
29CC - Multiple Cylinder Misfire

If it was the ECU that failed, I would have thought it would have issues across the board, not just in Cylinder 4,5,6.

Next step is to remove the battery and let it sit for a while.

Is it worth my while to tear out the JB4 stuff just in case?

EDIT: Steve..as a last resort last night, I did clear the octane, throttle and o2...but the car still runs like a bag of crap...even if I restart more than once. Flashing MIL as well so I don't want to keep starting it and cause damage.

how do I turn off the jb4? as you mentioned.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM

A fresh set of plugs cured all the codes for me except that 30bb you have sounds like a different issue.
(#6)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeko
So i'm hoping someone has some advice as to what I should try to resolve this issue.

Yesterday I drove to work as usual. No problems. When I left work, I started the car and it was misfiring and chugging like crazy. Eventually went into limp mode (Yellow engine half clear/half yellow).

Pulled the codes, it said there were 6, but only 5 flashed when I checked.

30BB Injector Bank 2 or ECU, Internal Error
2D60 Fuel Mass, Monitor
29D1 Misfire Cyl 5
29D2 Misfire Cyl 6
29CC Misfire Multiple Cylinders

I have an 07 335i w/JB4 and DCI.

I tried clearing the codes but they came back again shortly after. Car barely had enough power to get back into the parking lot.

Very rough idle and when it goes into limp mode, the idle is surging up and down constantly.

I'm new to BMW, but after some research, I'm thinking a sensor or maybe o2 sensor...My plan is to upgrade to the newest firmware, clear the codes, try again. Failing that I'll get it towed home and deal with it there.

I replaced the plugs about 1000km ago, but haven't had any issues until yesterday...

Any thoughts? Thanks
did u fix the problem and what was it if fixed? i have the same problem on my 07 335i
(#7)
Old

Default 05-04-2012, 08:05 AM

I might as well put the reply here so others will know what was done.

-First, the dealership called and told me 3 of the injectors needed to be replaced. $1400.

-Called the next day said that didn't fix it, so no charge for the injectors. We think it's the DME now, that was under warranty as the DME was covered by the 120K emission warranty or something. I didn't ask. Fast forward a week to when they received the DME. Reprogrammed and installed in the car. Still no Fix. They said it started ok, but then started acting up again.

-Coil #5 was bad. 300 and change to replace it...and that fixed the issue.

Got the car back after 2 weeks and all was back to normal.

Although my car wasn't specifically covered by the SIB, I had found a couple that dealt specifically with the issue.

SIB #1 (i'll dig up the number) was dealing with 30bb. The procedure was to start by replacing the injectors, then the DME, then the coils. So this is likely the one they are following.

SIB #2 dealt with the DME having a bad diode. My car was built 1 month after the recall...

Also, one last point to note, REMOVE the JB4 before it goes to the dealer.

EDIT:
SI B 12 18 07
Engine Electrical Systems October 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
N54: Running Issues with Various Faults in DME

MODEL
E90, E92, E93 with N54 from 6/10/07 to 8/18/07

E60, E61 with N54 from 6/10/07 to 8/18/07

SITUATION
Vehicle runs poorly, misfires, and may not start. One of the following fault codes, or the combination of the codes, is stored in the DME: 30BA , 30BB or 2ACC. Subsequent fault codes like 29CC, 29CD, 29CE, 29CF or 2ACB may be stored in the DME as well. Service Engine Soon Light may be illuminated.

CAUSE
Defective diode in DME.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis and only if the vehicle is in the effected production range, replace the DME and reprogram/recode the complete vehicle.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code
12 71 00 15 00

Here's the other one:
N54 - Diagnosis for DME Fuel Injector Faults

MODEL
E60, E61, E71, E82, E88, E90, E92 and E93 with the N54 engine

SITUATION
The engine may lack power, idle erratically, or have poor throttle response. The Service Engine Soon light is illuminated.

A combination of various fault codes related to fuel injectors may be stored in the DME control module:

2E30, 2E31, 2E32, 2E33, 2E34, and 2E35 – "Injector, cylinder 1-6, short circuit or line brake"

30BA and 30 BB – "DME internal fault; Injector driver circuit failure bank 1-3; bank 4-6"

29CC – "Misfiring, several cylinders"

CORRECTION

If fault code 29CC is stored in the DME control unit, together with fault code 30BA and/or 30BB, replace all three injectors in the cylinder bank concerned.

If the fault is not rectified by replacing the injectors, submit a PuMA case to the DME TC group titled "N54 DME replacement for 29CC and 30BA (or 30BB)".

The TC group will review the case and provide authorization to replace the DME and all ignition coils.

An ignition coil with incipient damage may cause an injector output stage failure in the DME control unit.

If the fault code 30BA and/or 30BB is stored in the DME control unit, but not fault code 29CC, follow the recommended test plan procedures to completion, using the latest diagnostic version software.

Refer to SI B12 26 08 – Injector Removal, Installation, and Replacement for important repair information.

Important Note:

On vehicles equipped with the N54 engine and produced between 06/10/07 and 08/18/07, if DME fault code 30BA/30BB is stored together with complaints of poor running and/or engine misfire, refer to SI B12 18 07 (October 07) for the correct diagnosis.

Last edited by Neeko; 05-04-2012 at 09:56 AM..
(#8)
Old

Car: 335i E92
Default 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM

No charge for the injectors. That is a score! I had a misfire that was a bad injector. It sucks that the symptoms all seem to be the same for a bad spark plug, bad coil, bad O2 sensor, bad DME, and who knows what else. Did you scan with the BT tool? I guess if the dealer misdiagnosed and replaced injectors for no reason there's no way for us owners to diagnose definitively...

(#9)
Old

Car: X6 2010
Default X6 2010 n54 rough idle on Cold - 11-12-2013, 02:02 PM

hi all ,
I got this rough Idle since a month ago .. I thought at first it is a gas problem , so I changed the gas station .. and added some additives such as injector cleaner.. it worked for some time .. and resumed again after few tanks ..

Today I got it again ..
I read the diagnosis ..
29d2 misfire at Cyl 6
29d0 misfire at cyl 4
29CC several misfires
30FF turbocharger , boost pressure too low ..

Happened 34 times .. all of them .. this means they are all there of one problem ..
Consulted the BMW tuner ... as my car now is out of warranty ..
He was like sure , we need new spark plugs
The coil are heavy duty in the N54 not like E36 and E46 cars ..
The breather might be a problem but it costs a lot ...
The injectors might be a problem cleaning or changing an injectors might solve also ..

I will keep you posted ... any suggestions are welcomed.
(#10)
Old

Car: 335 coupe
Default 12-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6LEB
hi all ,
I got this rough Idle since a month ago .. I thought at first it is a gas problem , so I changed the gas station .. and added some additives such as injector cleaner.. it worked for some time .. and resumed again after few tanks ..

Today I got it again ..
I read the diagnosis ..
29d2 misfire at Cyl 6
29d0 misfire at cyl 4
29CC several misfires
30FF turbocharger , boost pressure too low ..

Happened 34 times .. all of them .. this means they are all there of one problem ..
Consulted the BMW tuner ... as my car now is out of warranty ..
He was like sure , we need new spark plugs
The coil are heavy duty in the N54 not like E36 and E46 cars ..
The breather might be a problem but it costs a lot ...
The injectors might be a problem cleaning or changing an injectors might solve also ..

I will keep you posted ... any suggestions are welcomed.

any update for this ?