N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default E Series N54 JB4 - 11-18-2010, 11:45 PM

Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, LLC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, LLC hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

Last updated: 5/6/14

Hey guys,

This is the central point of contact for all N54 JB4 related information. Anything from install directions, to firmware updates, to settings, to frequently asked questions. Any and all relevant info is linked in this post. If you come across something missing from here be sure to let me know.

Order the full N54 JB4 system here.

JB4 Board Upgrades, 2STEP/NLS, USB cables, and other add ones are here.

The latest JB4 ISO firmware is posted here.

The same BMS USB cable is used for all of our tunes and strongly suggested for free software updates and new features as we post them.

Note: The N54 JB4 comes in two board types. Everything shipped after 12/1/12 will be a G5 board and anything shipped after 8/1/13 will be a G5 board that already has ISO firmware loaded. We refer to that as a G5 ISO board. You can identify a G5 ISO as its menu system goes up to 12 in dash while previous systems stopped at 9. The wheel control sheet in this post applies to G5 ISO boards. For information specific to G4 boards refer to the bottom of this thread. If you happen to have a G5 board that does not have ISO firmware we suggest clipping the diodes and loading ISO firmware/settings. Directions are linked in the FAQ.

Software, updates, and directions:

JB4 Interface: Latest Interface Download. When updating your interface you may need to first go to "add remove programs" and "remove" your previous JB4 interface.

For the full JB4 Install Guide click here.

If you need directions on how to connect a laptop to your JB4 to update firmware or how to datalog Click here.

Maps:

Map 0: Stock bypass.
Map 1: 13psi. Suggested for most racing applications.
Map 2: 14.5psi. Suggested for those with exhaust and 93 RM2 or higher octane.
Map 3: Progressive meth mapping with flow sensor failsafe. See guide to enable. Meth use isn't supported/suggested without a flow sensor and map 3.
Map 4: Stock map w/ CAN active. Allows full logging and in dash gauges on the stock mapping.
Map 5: Autotuning map. Boost ranges between 12-17psi based on your cars octane, conditions, and modifications. Fully E85 compatible. If using E85 we suggest around 30% to start. Refer to the E85 FAQ for addl info.
Map 6: User defined map generally only used for diagnostics or troubleshooting.
Map 7: Race gas map. 18.5psi peak boost on the G5 ISO. Requires straight 100-104+ RM2 octane unleaded racing fuel. The expensive stuff. We do not suggest using leaded racing fuel. To use this map with E85 requires the BMS E85 back end flash, inline booster fuel pump, and a 60% E85 mix.

1) Steering wheel controls menu attached. Note this guide is for the latest G5 ISO system.
2) JB4 has cold/hot oil protection built in. So expect stock like boost until oil temps are > 160 degrees. Same goes for oil temps > 280 degrees.
3) The JB4 has several safety systems built in that will force a switch to map 4 (low boost) if the JB4 notices various conditions. Including boost over target, fuel pressure below target, and air/fuel ratio running lean. If you ever encounter an automatic switch to map 4 review the FAQ below for addl information.

Those on lower grade fuels, running strong E85 mixtures, larger than factory turbos, or those interested in doing custom mapping will want to load our free JB4 back end flash.

G5 Harness info:

DIY for the SLD wires. Also how to resolve 29D0 codes if doing a G4->G5 upgrade and JB3->JB4 wiring upgrade directions.

FAQ

I made a post asking for help in this thread and I can't find it now. Where did it go?

Support requests and bug reports are generally deleted or moved from this thread without being read. If you require assistance from BMS email us at jon@burgertuning.com. Otherwise for general help me posts please take advantage of n54tech's support section.

Can I use E85 ethanol fuel with the JB4? If so what mixture should I use?

1) Generally speaking you can run 30-40% E85 without the need for logging or worrying about fuel trims, fuel pressure, etc. Just mix E85 in and select map 5. Done.
2) For those wanting to run higher mixtures (and more power) then you need to datalog. You'll want to first look at your low fuel pressure in the JB4 logs. If that is dropping below 50 then you're maxing out the low fuel pressure and should either reduce the E85 mixture or add fuel pump upgrade.
3) Next up look at fuel trims. If they are exceeding 50 in the JB4 logs & open loop is already at 90-100, or if you get 29F2 codes from having too high of an open loop, then you need to add the BMS back end flash for E85 fuels to extend the fueling range. The E85 flash also features VANOS changes, higher than factory timing advance, and some other stuff designed to help make more power on E85.
4) Finally after the flash and low pressure pump, you need to keep an eye on the high pressure pump. If it drops below 9 @ wide open throttle then you're maxing out the high pressure pump and need to lower the E85 mixture or lower the boost in the areas where it's dropping below 10. Right now there is no viable high pressure pump update. The only known solution that works is to add meth at this point. This is why BMS suggests 60-70% E85 and not 100% E85. The 100% E85 works the fuel system harder with no power benefit over say 70%.
5) Most cars will need an inline fuel pump upgrade OR meth to run more than 50% E85. We suggest this inexpensive inline option.
6) Using map 7 requires 50-60% E85, the back end flash, AND the fuel pump upgrade.

Where can I find firmware and the wheel control sheet for my G4 board or G5 integrated board?

These are obsolete versions and no longer supported. But some older firmware and directions are posted in this thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23614

If upgrading from an old JB3 system how do I rewire my harness to be compatible with a new JB4 box?

Details are below and it takes around 15 minutes to perform. If after reviewing the guide you would prefer to pay us $25 to do the harness upgrade for you then select the appropriate upgrade kit from our site. We will hold your JB4 upgrade kit until you mail in your harness and box, modify the harness, and send the modified harness and JB4 box back to you. There will be a 1-2 week delay between when we receive your harness and return the modified harness.

For directions on how to modify your old JB3 wiring harness for the JB4 (including the old pin out harness) click here.

What is menu 5 for? Why doesn't my speed move in increments of 10 when making selections?

Upon installing the JB4 you'll need to use the menu 5 option to properly calibrate your gauges. Otherwise the numbers on the speedo, fuel gauge, and oil gauge won't align properly. You'll count up to 5 then set the tach based on your model and speedo type. Refer to the link below for the steering wheel controls sheet.

How do I read out and delete codes?

There are two methods. The easiest method for beginners is to connect the laptop interface and use the "read codes" button as indicated in the image below. This will give a full listing along with descriptions. Alternatively for more advanced users or if a laptop isn't available you may use the in dash reading on menu 1 option 1. For additional directions click here.

How does the traction assist work?

If you find traction problems too severe in 1st and/or 2nd gear you can cap the maximum boost/torque achieved in those gears to aid with traction. You'll find them under user settings. A value of 10.0 in 1st and 12.0 in 2nd will limit boost to 10.0psi while in 1st gear and 12.0psi while in 2nd gear. When in 1st or 2nd gear under the boost limit you may hold down the steering wheel volume or talk button to bypass the limit while the button is held down. For example if doing a burn out at the track.

Does the JB4 support larger than OEM turbos?

Yes. The JB4 is able to control OEM turbos, hybrid vacuum operated turbos such as RB & Vargas, and single turbo retrofits such as FFTEC. For hybrid turbos the appropriate back end flash file is required. Once the DME is flashed the JB4 map selection remains the same with the larger turbos. For single turbo kits many additional changes are required. See JB4 single turbo control thread for addl info.

I got a misfire code. What should I do?

Misfire codes are very common on the N54 motor and are generally either a defective plug, coil, injector, or if the misfires happen across multiple cylinders could also be an o2 sensor or high pressure fuel pump. The higher the power levels the more apparent hardware weakness are so often they will crop up first at only higher power levels. Eventually though, they will come up at OEM power levels too. If your plugs have over 15k miles on them I'd suggest switching them out. If that doesn't do the trick you can switch the coil on the misfiring cylinder over to another cylinder to see if the misfire moves with it. If it does, then replace that coil.

My SES light flashed and the JB4 switched to map 4 / low boost. What do I do now?

The JB4 has several active safety systems that will trigger SES light flashes.

The first is the over-boost safety. If boost exceeds the value you've set under user adjustment the SES light will flash once and the JB4 will switch itself to map 4 until you restart the car. The default setting is 18psi. Common causes for this are setting the value too low for the map/intended usage, improperly configured or defective wastegates, or JB4 setting problems.

The second is the run-lean safety system. If your air/fuel ratio (either bank) runs leaner than 14:1 over 4500rpm for more than a second the SES light will flash twice and the JB4 will again switch itself to map 4 until you restart the car. Common causes are maxed out fuel trims (see E85 notes above) or o2 sensor faults. Note any o2 sensor fault must be corrected for the tuning to operate properly.

Another commonly triggered fault is low fuel pressure. If your high fuel pressure drops below 7 (~800psi) the JB4 will flash the SES light three times and switch to map 4 until you restart the car. Common causes are an inadequate low pressure pump, too strong of an E85 mixture for your tuning/fuel pump, or a failing high pressure pump.

Wheel control guide:

What is MaxCool mode?

MaxCool is an JB4 algorithm that improves engine cooling by increasing the speed of the electric water pump and engine cooling fan as a function of water temperature. When enabled you may hear the very loud engine fan and water pump running more often including at idle. MaxCool can be left on full time if you desire and is compatible with add on oil and water coolers such as the BMW PPK kit.

What are the user settings and which ones should I change?

Most are there for diagnostic use only and should not be touched unless you are directed to by your tuner. The settings you might adjust are documented below.

Boost failsafe PSI: If boost exceeds this value for more than one second the JB4 will switch to low boost map 4 until the car is restarted. Note this setting has no impact on what actual boost you run. That is determined by the map selected.

1st / 2nd gear boost limit: For cars with poor traction limiting boost in 1st gear to 9psi and 2nd gear to 12psi can offer your tires some relief.

Default Wastegate Position (DWP): This determines the positions of your wastegate during cruise and low throttle. This can be adjusted in dash using menu 10 or via the laptop interface. The default value is 4000rpm in menu 10 & 80 in the JB4 interface. Higher values can make the car feel more responsive but in some vehicles will make it more prone to "wastegate rattle". Lower values of say 800rpm are sometimes preferred to reduce rattle. Wastegate rattle is a hardware problem in nature and the software settings can only attempt to mask this issue. In some cases no setting can fully mask the rattle.

Base duty cycle: This is adjusted in dash on menu 12. Default setting is 2500rpm. Value settings are 2000rpm to 3200rpm. Generally this would only be adjusted if the vehicle is "surging" during low throttle cruising. Lower values reduce the serge tendency at the expense of response.

FutureUseD: Various logging parameters which vary by firmware version. Refer to firmware notes for the options here.

Does the JB4 support large single turbo retrofits?

Yes! Details & directions are posted here: For those running larger single turbo systems refer to these special notes on how to configure the JB4.

How do I install the 2STEP/NLS add on kit for manual transmissions?

Download NLS/2STEP install guide here.

If I decide to get the optional USB cable for free firmware updates how to I route it?

For the USB cable you have a couple options. Option 1 is to route it over the rubber grommet under the DME cover and leave it there for quick access.You'll just have to lift up the one snap on black panel and can then route it in the window or door jamb. Option 2 is to route it in to the glove box. There is a DIY here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557

Do I need to do JB4 logs? If I do logs how do I interpret them?

Datalogging is a more advanced function generally only used when troubleshooting or for those who are looking to extract the most out of their vehicle. This thread contains info on what the various logging parameters mean and how to interpret them.. In addition JB4 logs can be posted in the support section if tuning advice is needed.

How do the new steering wheel controls work?

What is the startup gauge sweep?

Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Default 11-18-2010, 11:54 PM

Great sticky with plenty of info.... Cant wait.

N54 coupe coming soon
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 11-19-2010, 12:21 AM

Hey congrats to the alpha group, I'm glad for you... You lucky no good sons of bitches, go **** yourself.... Lol jk

412 on pump with rb's JB4LIFE

stock
(#4)
Old

Car: 09' 335i Sedan
Default 11-19-2010, 12:23 AM

for those of us with I drive, whats the proper way of turning off radio? i dont think ive ever seen on "off" option on mine
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-19-2010, 12:48 AM

LOL you can leave it on if you want. But the stations and volume will change as you press the controls. You just push the volume button in.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 11-19-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
LOL you can leave it on if you want. But the stations and volume will change as you press the controls. You just push the volume button in.
so just putting it in mute will work. Thanks!
(#7)
Old

Default 11-19-2010, 01:08 AM

so as far as map selection goes, we'll only be able to choose from 0-7??
(#8)
Old

Car: e90 lci n55
Default 11-19-2010, 02:33 AM

Bump for n55 alpha testing :D

ERnie
2011 AW/e90/n55 12.9@107.53mph
Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f*** the Prom Queen."-John Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer
I gaurentee for $100 bucks I can install that bitch wrong. Any takers?
(#9)
Old
:shrug

Car: E92 335i
Default 11-19-2010, 05:55 AM

This is getting really exciting. Terry, for the exchange process (core return) will we have to deal with our original point of purchase? (Effectively doubling the shipping costs..) Or will we be able to deal directly with BMS? I understand that you'll be very overwhelmed with core returns when this goes live, but dealing directly with BMS I'm sure would be preferable to avoid delays and extra shipping costs.

Let us know! Thx!
(#10)
Old

Default 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM

eventually Terry!!! so if i order jb4 when it will be in stock lets say in Mikes store or Burger i get it right away or i need to wait?

about autotuning its automaticaly? Just install and go? and about firmware it will be loaded ready to go? about those maps if we will have autotuning and it will adapt auto to our mods and fuel why we need those maps from 1-7 on a tach?

speedo 1 its 1km and TACH 1 postition ? what i press to activate read codes lets say i can see it in a dash or i need laptop? do i do it with motor on or off?

Can we change maps on motor or off only igniton on?
(#11)
Old

Default 11-19-2010, 06:38 AM

Very usefull info. Look forward to this product rolling out.

JB4 G5/ NX Nitrous 35 Shot/NANO Nitrogen system/Maximiser 3 Guage/DPs/BMW Perf Exhaust/BMS DCI//RPI FMIC/Bilstein B16 Ride Control//BMW Perf Rims 19'/BMW Perf Steering Wheel/BMS Meth Kit & CMGS Guage/BMS Speed Limiter Defeat/STETT Chargepipe & Forge DV's/BMS Oil Catch Can
(#12)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 11-19-2010, 07:27 AM

Ah the anticipation!

Mods: FBO
(#13)
Old

Car: E92 DCT ///M
Default 11-19-2010, 07:47 AM

Now this is some useful information! Would probably come in handy when someone is trying to get up and running for the initial install

(#14)
Old

Car: 335i coupe 08'-545i 05'smg- civic 95' 600whp
Default 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Great info
(#15)
Old

Default 11-19-2010, 07:59 AM

Can't wait for next week

-2007 335i - All stock
12.41@117.64mph

-2007 Suzuki SV650 - Evotech FE, M4 Carbon Slip-on, Solo Seat

(#16)
Old
M3 Eater (m3eater)

Car: 07 E90 Non Sport...Sleeper
Send a message via AIM to mobilefitt
Default 11-19-2010, 07:59 AM

hmmm. I was thinking that the beta would be ready by Holloween. I guess Thanksgiving will have to do.

Is there a sign up for beta testing..... Since alpha didn't seem to be offered here on N54 can I be first on the Beta List?

As far as the meth mapping for the lite board, How exactly will that be different than what the CMGS does now? Will this feature offer progressive mapping for the bms basic kit owner or is it going to add a dimension to the CMGS by feeding back boost or timing back to the already progressive controller?

JB4 15ohm w/ FSB & CM10, ETS-FMIC, Evolution Race Works charge pipe, Forge DVs, AR *********, Injen dual cones, DIY catch can-vent to atmosphere, Koni FSD,TSW Donnington 18's, Bridgestone Potenza 760 Sports.
(#17)
Old

Car: ML63_335i
Default 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM

NICE!!! Things are started to get pieced together! Cant wait for futher testing so i can get on this asap.

How is the mapping setup 0-7? All maps autotuning?

Current: ///M5 || ML63 AMG
Retired: 2007 E92 335i || 2010 335i E90 LCI M-sport

Last edited by 5soko; 11-19-2010 at 08:30 AM..
(#18)
Old

Car: 335i coupe 08'-545i 05'smg- civic 95' 600whp
Default Change map on fly - 11-19-2010, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=Terry @ BMS;157861]Hey guys,

steering wheel controls, on the fly map switching with confirmation,

I understand that may be driving

Last edited by JomarPR335R; 11-19-2010 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Error
(#19)
Old

Car: 07-335i
Default 11-19-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfan19
eventually Terry!!! so if i order jb4 when it will be in stock lets say in Mikes store or Burger i get it right away or i need to wait?

about autotuning its automaticaly? Just install and go? and about firmware it will be loaded ready to go? about those maps if we will have autotuning and it will adapt auto to our mods and fuel why we need those maps from 1-7 on a tach?

speedo 1 its 1km and TACH 1 postition ? what i press to activate read codes lets say i can see it in a dash or i need laptop? do i do it with motor on or off?

Can we change maps on motor or off only igniton on?
If you are ordering a brand new tune then you may have to wait a little longer as we complete all the upgrade orders, but once stocks stabilize all new units will be shipping as the JB4.

If you already have a JB3 then you will just need the JB4 board and that will be available first.

My recommendation is just to get the existing JB3 now if you don't have it as the JB4 upgrade will be FREE for you [Can't beat that deal]

Mike

www.n54tuning.com

(#20)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 11-19-2010, 09:45 AM

I think my brother just placed his order for the JB3...Finally. ;-)

Mods: FBO
(#21)
Old

Default 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM

You say the PRO board is for the heavily modified. What is considered heavily modified? *********, Intake, FMIC, tune?
(#22)
Old

Default 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbreeE90
You say the PRO board is for the heavily modified. What is considered heavily modified? *********, Intake, FMIC, tune?
+meth

-2007 335i - All stock
12.41@117.64mph

-2007 Suzuki SV650 - Evotech FE, M4 Carbon Slip-on, Solo Seat

(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbreeE90
Meth, large turbo(s), nitrous, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old
Call da Ambalamps

Car: 621whp/600tq MK4 Jetta and 135i
Default 11-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Terry, can you elaborate on the Drag launch feature? Will it work with AT? Because my main problem is the turbo lag from the moment i let off the brake. If I was able to stall up and build boost, i could have cut a 1.7 or even 1.6 and been in the 11s on my tune only run
(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Last night in testing I was able to build around 15psi off the line. I need to refine it a bit and then will post up some logs.

Burger Motorsports