N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Honda s2000burger
Lightbulb coolant overflow/power steering tank? - 01-29-2018, 10:44 AM

Hey there everyone!

New to this forum, and BMW's. A local has decided to go big single tubro on is 07 335i and had to move his coolant over flow and power steering tank around. Personally, coming from the Honda enthusiast world, it looks terrible to me. I've come up with an idea that I'll fab up an aluminum all in one tank that is placed behind the driver side headlight and in front of the strut tower. As of today, I currently only have the cardboard rendering of the item, and I've been up in the air if I should allow the two fluids share the same divider wall. I can post pictures up later this evening if anyone would like me to. I cannot find any reasoning to separate the two fluids as far as giving them their own individual walls seeing as how power steering fluid has a operation range from 180*f to 250*f.

any feed back from this community would be very greatly appreciated, as I'm on a new venture in starting a fab shop. I'm geared almost completely towards the auto and performance industry simply because that's what I like.

If anyone would be so generous to possibly give my Instagram account a follow. You'll be able to see the cardboard craft project I'm about to turn into an aluminum part.

@cliff_fabs_things

thank you guys!

Last edited by CFT2point0; 01-29-2018 at 11:47 AM..
(#2)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Coolant temps could get over 250* in any # of situations, and when you compound that with the heat level the PS fluid already has, seems to me the shared wall could easily overheat the PS fluid.

2009 535i Sport
Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

(#3)
Old

Car: Honda s2000burger
Default 02-01-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Coolant temps could get over 250* in any # of situations, and when you compound that with the heat level the PS fluid already has, seems to me the shared wall could easily overheat the PS fluid.
I'm sorry, from my understanding, the car we're talking about shuts down into limp mode at 250 degrees... am I incorrect? Also 2 liquids of different temperatures wouldn't result in a higher temp than the already higher temp liquid... they would average one another. If you're holding a cup of coffee, it doesn't warm your hand up warmer than the coffee, correct?