N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default F80 M3 Nelson Racing Paddle Upgrade DIY! - 03-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Recently I had the opportunity to get my hands on one of the very first set of Nelson Racing Paddles for the F80! Install was simple and quality is very good.
I am very anxious to test these on the track in a few weeks. I feel the stock paddles do not give you enough surface area to grab the gear you want in some wheel positions. This upgrade greatly increases this surface area!

Wheel Before:

New Paddles:

Installed!

Here is a quick DIY on my install.

1: Disconnect the battery

2: Foot on the brake for a few seconds to ensure there is no stored energy (better safe than sorry)

3: Remove the airbag from the steering wheel. There are two round holes on each side of the wheel. use a flathead screwdriver to push in on the locking spring to release each side. Be patient and you will figure this out pretty quickly

4: Remove the airbag by disconnecting the small electric connector top center behind the airbag.
Airbag removed

5: Remove the outmost screw on both sides of the wheel. This is the only thing holding the paddle to the wheel.

* I chose to not fully remove the paddle wiring from the wheel as the connectors are buried and is simply not required for this install.

6: Push the small black pin through the housing. The pin is tapered so it will only pass in one direction.

7: Separate the paddle from the electronic portion. Note where the spring and small black plastic part are located inside as they can fall out if removed upside down.

Comparison of the stock VS Nelson Racing paddle

8: Install is reverse of of removal.

(#2)
Old

Car: n54 335
Default 03-16-2018, 07:42 PM

looks good

751WHP 688WTQ
JP Works Kit Record
SOLD: E90 335i 751whp 688WTQ
CURRENT: E82 135i (under construction)
Visit my website VaderSolution.com !
(#3)
Old
BurgerTuning.com

Car: F80 M3
Default 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM

Those look really good!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.