N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Send a message via MSN to Mata
Default 135i recommendation based on transmission - 05-18-2016, 08:23 AM

I might be on the market for an older 135i soon.
its been about 6 years since i`ve been out of the n54 game and back then, there were no dct transmissions offered in our rides.
I am undecided on a 1-series on weather pick up one with the old 6-speed auto or the newer dct.
the car would serve duties as a partial daily driver and i like to drag race every now and then, so most likely a jb4 upgrade would be in order soon after the purchase.
which one is better for launching the card hard?
what about reliability?

thanks for the input
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 135I
Default 05-18-2016, 08:54 AM

I will say go with a manual if you are going for power like single turbo . Second choice
will be DCT with Dodson clutches upgrade. Last choice steptronic crap or AT. with out any
upgrade fro the tranny yet. This is my own opinion...
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 05-18-2016, 03:39 PM

6MT FTW!
(#4)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 05-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Avoid manual if you want any sort of performance. It's a well known fact that they're the slowest.

Antiques belong in museums, not cars.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#5)
Old
Enginerd

Car: 2009 135i
Default 05-18-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Avoid manual if you want any sort of performance. It's a well known fact that they're the slowest.

Antiques belong in museums, not cars.

Tell that to the guys who had to ditch their ATs for an MT swap because the AT breaks about 7psi too early for a good ST swap.

There once was a time that the AT was a better option. These days, if you want high HP, the AT just won't cut it, even with the "upgrades" available for it.

--2009 BMW 135i--2016 Nissan Titan XD (Turbo Cummins ISV)--2016 VW Tiguan 2.0Tsi --1988 Beechcraft Bonanza--Suzuki GSX-R 1000--Honda CBR-600RR--

JB4 G5 ISO | MHD | E85 | Fuel-It S3 LPFP / PI | MFactory S3+ Clutch / SMFW / LSD / Mounts | Diff Lock | UUC Tranny Mounts | DwnPipes / Exhaust / FMIC | Chargepipe / Tial | KW V3s | HR Sways | HPA full M3 Suspension | BMS DCI / Oil Cooler Valve / Cowl Filters / 4bar / 2Step / OCC | RB PCV | Stri Gauges | Pole Position 225/265 | Installing: DR 6466ST
(#6)
Old

Default 05-18-2016, 05:13 PM

Can't get a N54 with the DCT on a 135i. All DCT cars are equipped with the N55. Even the 135is.

Also, 02/2010 was the last production for N54 135i cars.

N54 cars have a different 6MT as opposed to the N55 cars though. The N55 135i shares its 6MT with the 1M. Having driven both, I like the 6MT a LITTLE better in the 1M/late model 135i, but it's a very small tradeoff for the N54 which I believe to be the better powerplant.

Happy hunting.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#7)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-18-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayock

Tell that to the guys who had to ditch their ATs for an MT swap because the AT breaks about 7psi too early for a good ST swap.
Very few people ever get to that point. Even then, the problem is that the 6HP19 is inferior. The 6HP26 has no problem holding 800+hp and ft/lbs. No idea why nobody ever tried one. The auto is just better for 99% of people 99% of the time. Theres a reason why manuals are on borrowed time. They're inferior in virtually every way. More work, slower shifting, slower performance, worse economy. Why would anybody bother with one?

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#8)
Old

Default 05-19-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Very few people ever get to that point. Even then, the problem is that the 6HP19 is inferior. The 6HP26 has no problem holding 800+hp and ft/lbs. No idea why nobody ever tried one. The auto is just better for 99% of people 99% of the time. Theres a reason why manuals are on borrowed time. They're inferior in virtually every way. More work, slower shifting, slower performance, worse economy. Why would anybody bother with one?
Bell housing is different. No solution exists. Do you have one that you're keeping secret?

Only solution is MT swap, or big money DCT clutch job.

N54 | Build Thread
(#9)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-19-2016, 05:55 PM

The bellhousing isn't removable? Domestic manufacturers have been machining adapter plates to fit different transmissions to engines they were never meant to fit for decades. No reason the same thing couldn't be done to fit the 6HP26 (or even the stronger and superior 8HP90, if you could control it) to the N54 or 55.

Or worst case scenario, cut it off and weld on the proper one.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#10)
Old

Default 05-19-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The bellhousing isn't removable? Domestic manufacturers have been machining adapter plates to fit different transmissions to engines they were never meant to fit for decades. No reason the same thing couldn't be done to fit the 6HP26 (or even the stronger and superior 8HP90, if you could control it) to the N54 or 55.

Or worst case scenario, cut it off and weld on the proper one.
Can be changed sure. I seem to remember a discussion about having a proper one fabricated by ABR, but they wanted 50k to make the mold as the market wasn't there for the item and they'd never recoup costs. I think that was the general gist anyway.

N54 | Build Thread
(#11)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-19-2016, 07:42 PM

Yikes. I'd probably go for the cut and weld route. I've seen that done on Fiero V8 builds and it doesn't seem to difficult.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-19-2016, 09:02 PM

+1 on the N54 platform which means MT or Step. For 11.0s and slower cars the step is a better choice. If the goal is 10s then its going to take a manual (and a lot of power) to get there.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#13)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 05-19-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
+1 on the N54 platform which means MT or Step. For 11.0s and slower cars the step is a better choice. If the goal is 10s then its going to take a manual (and a lot of power) to get there.
+1
Yeah if you want big power a manual is heaps more reliable, if a torque converter goes many shops don't bother repairing it as they're so complicated. If they do decide to then it's a matter of finding a torque converter replacement kit from ecs tuning and labour would be astronomical.
Personally I prefer manuals and every car I own is a manual, but that's besides the point.

In terms of manual vs auto, I don't know everyone has their own opinion. Some say manual is a hassle, some say it's the best thing ever. If your goal is run way racing, dragging, automatics shift faster than any human can.

But if you're on the track manual literally is the best route, as automatics cannot Match the level of control and feedback and connectivity you receive with a manual transmission. The way you're able to control chasis balance while drifting, or the feeling of joy Everytime you execute a perfect rematch down shift.
(What I feel is if you go for a drive and the car does everything you loose a sense of enjoyment and quickly get bored, whereas in a manual you get a constant feeling of involvement and connectivity to the car.)

If you plan to daily drive it all depends on your skill sets and experience. If you're good at hill starts, reversing out of a steep parking space, inching up in traffic, rev matching then you won't mind manual and absolutely will not see it as a hassle, as cars were made to be driven so why not do so? Otherwise you may as well buy a Tesla for autonomous driving.
If you lack the experience or skill to drive a manual in high traffic areas or urban areas with steep inclines, buy an automatic there really aren't any draw backs to either choice as long as you pick the one that best suits your driving style.

In the end just choose the transmission that best reflects your driving style and preferences. It's your car and your choice solely. You can't go wrong with either one (auto, manual, dct).
~Lowon

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#14)
Old

Car: 335i
Send a message via MSN to Mata
Default 06-03-2016, 11:15 PM

6mt is out of the question for me.
it basically boils down to dct vs auto6speed since my goals are very conservative (jb4+ bolt ons) i dont think that n54 vs n55 will make much difference.
however, i am somewhat scared of dct`s since i`ve never owned a car with that transmission.

btw, glad to see the forum is doing this well even after 6-7 years when i sold my old 335i
(#15)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 06-04-2016, 04:38 AM

Hopefully there will be options soon with this Nizpro update as far as us Steptronics are concerned. Good luck!

08 335xi- JB4/Trebila,RB Inlets, VRSF CP ,FMIC, ** ,BMS DCI,e50 and Fuel-it Stage 2. 11.8 @ 118