N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Red Sport
Default Warranty with mods - 07-13-2017, 03:17 PM

Ok, so doing some reading in the bmw forums about the detectability of the jb4 even when removed when you take it to dealer. Seems to be a 50/50 answer as they say if you dig into the boost/fuel logs in the ecu you can tell that the car was tuned, some even had their warranties voided.

Is there a clear answer regarding detectability for the q50? Besides from removing the piggyback, is there anything else you need to do, such as clearing codes or whatever else? (read this in the bmw forums)

Does the burger tuning piggyback for the q50 report false fuel/boost readings to the ecu to trick it so it is not traceable?

The 3.0T Q50’s have had issues with snapped belts and blown motors – so I don’t want a common mechanical issue not be covered under warranty due to the tune.

Thanks!
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-13-2017, 03:22 PM

We know a flash tune is completely and obviously detectable but I can't say for sure whether or not Stage1 is detectable on the platform once removed. I suspect it's not. That said don't make warranty claims on parts you've broken with aftermarket modifications.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 07-13-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We know a flash tune is completely and obviously detectable but I can't say for sure whether or not Stage1 is detectable on the platform once removed. I suspect it's not. That said don't make warranty claims on parts you've broken with aftermarket modifications.
+1

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now

2016 Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS: white, PDK, carbon ceramic brakes, Fully loaded
Mods: Fabspeed race headers, competition exhaust, High flow fiters, Ecu flash race gas and pump tune, roll cage, schroth harness, clear bra.

2017 Audi R8 V10 plus- dynamite red, fully loaded
Mods: Currently stock (hopefully a super charger and full exhaust soon)
(#4)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Red Sport
Default Warranty with mods - 07-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
no need to bring our your book of ethics here. You guys clearly highlight the fact on your product page that you can remove it without a trace when needed, ie, during dealer visits. Why else would somebody want to remove the tune??

as i mentioned, the 3.0T q50 have issues with throwing belts and blowing motors on STOCK cars, it is a common issue, which was my concern. I do not want my warranty voided from the tune on a common engine issue which is why I asked.

Regardless, on 91, the power to potential losing warranty risk is not worth it, so will not go with the tune.
(#5)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2015 335i GT MPPK+
Default 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Don't worry about their ethics. Plenty of us mod and get stuff replaced under warranty. In the US dealers/manufacturers cannot void your warranty for mods unless they can prove that a mod is the direct cause of a problem. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from having to use stock parts on our cars unless the manufacturer gives them to us at no charge.

So go for it. Put on the Stage 1 and have fun.

Mike Levy
2015 335i xDrive Gran Turismo
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Don't worry about their ethics. Plenty of us mod and get stuff replaced under warranty. In the US dealers/manufacturers cannot void your warranty for mods unless they can prove that a mod is the direct cause of a problem. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from having to use stock parts on our cars unless the manufacturer gives them to us at no charge.

So go for it. Put on the Stage 1 and have fun.
100 true, unless your engine blows and you have a tune. In this situation it'd be very easy for the dealer to pin it on the fact that the motor wasn't designed for this added power and boost.

Again Mike is correct, if the mod isn't related to the part that goes wrong then it should be fine.

Personally I don't care about warranty when I mod (I either just tell the dealer and pay for damages myself and forfeit my warranty, or don't mod, but that's just me), because even if you find a "mod friendly" dealer and something major goes wrong (blown motor). I'm pretty sure they most likely won't warranty it because if corporate gets involved they could literally sue the dealer ship and the owner for warranty fraud and breach of contract. Then the owner of the dealer would probably sue the SA who authorized the warranty. So imo they probably wouldn't do it for you if it was an uncommon engine failure and they knew it was caused by mods.

Not here to tell people what to do, just being realistic.

Mods: Fabspeed race headers, competition exhaust, High flow fiters, Ecu flash race gas and pump tune, roll cage, schroth harness, clear bra.

(#7)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2015 335i GT MPPK+
Default 07-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Some manufacturers are more friendly. I got 4 transfer cases for my Jeep SRT8 replaced under warranty, despite having a full top end build. For whatever reason though, they wouldn't replace the transmission.

Audi is the absolute worst. They'll fight every step of the way.

Mike Levy
2015 335i xDrive Gran Turismo
(#8)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Some manufacturers are more friendly. I got 4 transfer cases for my Jeep SRT8 replaced under warranty, despite having a full top end build. For whatever reason though, they wouldn't replace the transmission.

Audi is the absolute worst. They'll fight every step of the way.
Yeah I've heard. Like Ford will manufacturer warranty roush parts like a supercharger on the V8 mustangs.

Never had too much experience with Audi asides my R8. But j supercharged it so I pretty much never even came in for service let alone warranty.