N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1251)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi coupe
Default 05-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
The log looks okay and everything is where it should be.I don't know if I would turn it up anymore with the octane you have. I would add EWG wires and Methanol or Race gas if you'd want to turn it up anymore.
Several guys on another forum are talking about the jb4 on the x3. For the most part it's positive but we identified a problem

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...1446435&page=8

the car bogs on shifts but ws definitely feels
the power increase. Sounds like what was happening in the N54s, back in the day, with the JB4 and Terry had to add a"bog fix" solution in the firmware that could be scaled up and down to alleviate the slow sludgy shifts when the boost is dumped
(#1252)
Old

Car: 2018 bmw 340i m sport
Default 05-27-2018, 03:29 PM

What firmware do i need to download for b58 ewg and ff wires ? And where can i download it? Also which map can i use for e85 and do i have to adjust anything manually for ewg throttle closures ? If so which map and what settings are the best ?
(#1253)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 05-27-2018, 05:17 PM

The latest firmware is on p. 1 of this thread! There’s only one set of published firmware for B58. In terms of EWG and FF settings, the experience of others is your best bet, so hunt around the B58 section, this one is a good thread - http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47581

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FP Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / 93 Octane + 2 gallons E85
(#1254)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 05-28-2018, 01:43 AM

Is there a list with details of the "FutureUseD Bit4" options? Some are self explanitory and some aren't. Either way, it would be great to know their details and default settings.
(#1255)
Old

Default 05-28-2018, 04:46 AM

All i see is firmware 8 and when u scroll down tyeres two 9s im confused
(#1256)
Old

Default 05-28-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18bmwb58
All i see is firmware 8 and when u scroll down tyeres two 9s im confused
Above the version downloads, in the first post, there are details covering what each firmware version addresses. Inside the details to V9 you'll see reference to the "T" updates. Each update builds upon the last and either offers more options or a fix for a bug found in that version. For the very latest, you'll want V9T12. It's still relatively new and may have a few bugs still. It looks like the most stable/used version to date is V8. You'd have to read through the entire thread to get all that info. I'm still on V8 and will upgrade when I have time. If you're using map 1 or 2, either will be fine for you. Most updates offer more for those using the later map options that are more customizable. Hope this helps, but for full knowledge you'll have to read the entire thread.

Multiple versions are there to offer a way back should you find an issue or prefer one version over the other. The latest versions are tested by both BMS and the more knowledgeable users on this site. All still offer the same high level of safety, but the higher maps are still able to cause issues if you aren't experienced enough to be in/using them. You really must read the stickies available and never hesitate to post logs in the support forum or ask for help before making changes. There's a ton of support on these forums and a lot of situations/issues you may have are already in the posts. Best advice... read all you can as it will help immensely.
(#1257)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-28-2018, 09:31 AM

As a general rule run the latest version unless there is some problem you want to blame on the firmware, then you can try rolling back if you need.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1258)
Old

Default 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM

Ok got the latest update installed my ewg and ff wires put in 2 gallons of e85 here is my log let me know what you think guys
Attached Files
File Type: csv 3rd gear e85 2 gallons se ond log.csv (8.1 KB, 27 views)
(#1259)
Old

Default 05-29-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
Is there a list with details of the "FutureUseD Bit4" options? Some are self explanitory and some aren't. Either way, it would be great to know their details and default settings.
Any info on this? Would be a great add to tuning/settings sticky in the support thread area.
(#1260)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 05-31-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Working on a new firmware tweak for the B58 and could use some help testing it out. Right now it's only active on maps 6 and 7. It changes how the JB4 spoofs the IAT signal to alter boost target, timing, and AFR targets.

To test it out load the T12 firmware in the first post, set FutureUseD bit#2 to 1 or on, set 6cyl timing to 1 (e.g. make IAT as high as possible), and evaluate/record a log or two for us to check out.
I know this is old but what was the outcome of this testing? Did it work out? Is the tweak still available in firmware 9, and do you need more logs if so?

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FP Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / 93 Octane + 2 gallons E85
(#1261)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-31-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
I know this is old but what was the outcome of this testing? Did it work out? Is the tweak still available in firmware 9, and do you need more logs if so?
I works and I believe we are using it on Map 5. The current FUD setting bit 2 on the latest firmware will have the IAT spoof on all maps so you can test map 1 and see how it does if you don't have the octane/modifications to test map 5 off the bat.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1262)
Old

Default 06-07-2018, 10:15 PM

If I take the default settings, from the first post's pic, and put them into Map 6 with all boost settings at 3, wouldn't it be the same as running Map 1? I only ask as I'd like a good base point to start from on a tuneable map. It appears to work this way if you use Map 6 as an additive map. Likewise, if I used the same settings at 4psi, I'd be copying Map 2. Please let me know.
(#1263)
Old

Car: 335 cpe
Default 06-08-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
. The current FUD setting bit 2 on the latest firmware will have the IAT spoof on all maps
What is the IAT spoof?
(#1264)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I works and I believe we are using it on Map 5. The current FUD setting bit 2 on the latest firmware will have the IAT spoof on all maps so you can test map 1 and see how it does if you don't have the octane/modifications to test map 5 off the bat.
Here's a decent run I took with the spoof on. Car felt good, but do trims look a little worse than my previous logs, although maybe timing is better? I don't know, I'm still not a log-reading expert. I still have the spoof on for now... this was Map 6 with custom settings you'll see in the CSV.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 180612_1759_IATspoof.csv (15.1 KB, 11 views)

(#1265)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19
What is the IAT spoof?
IAT spool with send a lower IAT to the DME so it requests more timing. More timing if octane is good means more power

Burger Motorsports

(#1266)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Yea it looks like trims max out for a bit in the lower RPM range and come back down. The log looks good though, timing nice and steady. A big off target boost but that's an easy fix.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1267)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 06-13-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Yea it looks like trims max out for a bit in the lower RPM range and come back down. The log looks good though, timing nice and steady. A big off target boost but that's an easy fix.
Is the "fix" to lower the target boost in the map 6 settings, or did you have something else in mind? I went ahead and did that anyway (knocked boost target down from 17.0 to 16.0) and left the IAT spoof on (see log) but if you have any other suggestions, please lmk.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 180613_0941.csv (23.4 KB, 8 views)

(#1268)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-13-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
Is the "fix" to lower the target boost in the map 6 settings, or did you have something else in mind? I went ahead and did that anyway (knocked boost target down from 17.0 to 16.0) and left the IAT spoof on (see log) but if you have any other suggestions, please lmk.
No the fix just helps raise timing, a couple more runs and you will be closer to target. Looks good to me though, probably the most you can get from this until you add methanol and a big turbo :D
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1269)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
No the fix just helps raise timing, a couple more runs and you will be closer to target. Looks good to me though, probably the most you can get from this until you add methanol and a big turbo :D
Hahaha, I am still holding out hope that the DME cracks are real and we can eventually get past the fueling limits to allow more E85.

(#1270)
Old

Car: BMW F30 LCI 320i 2017
Default 06-13-2018, 03:41 PM

I had some difficulty getting consistent smooth pools with the Jb4 on a B48 320i (any map).

I found one of the causes and an easy workaround so I'm sharing my experience here.

In short:
Basically Engine DME boost map changes with driving mode (sport/comfort) and the same JB4 map won't work well in both driving modes. A work around is to deactivate in the Idrive menu from the car the changes de DME make to the engine in sport drive mode so the engine always runs like in comfort mode independently of other driving modes changes and a consistent jb4 map is easy to achieve.

The cause:

Engine boost by rpm changes with driving mode (sport/comfort/eco). In a wot pool in sport mode my 20i gets a flat 7.5 to 8 psi boost from low to max rpm. But doing the same in comfort mode I get a flat 4.5-5 psi boost with a 7.5-8 psi peak at 4500-5000 rpm. That is almost a 100% boost increase from 4000 to 4.5 psi)to 4500 (8 psi) rpm that the jb4 seems to have trouble compensating for (overshooting and over correcting= oscillations= not a nice ride).

So you can work on a fine tuned map 6 on sport mode, using duty bias to adjust de FF curve by rpm to mach PWM, using just the amount of PID gain to allow small corrections without oscillations, etc, and the car runs smooth and fast (huge HP difference from original 8 psi to flat 16 psi in the 20i). But the moment you switch to comfort mode or you restart the car and forget to switch back to sport and accelerate the engines DME gives a completely different boost / rpm curve and the jb4 goes crazy trying to adjust with the known unpleasant result.

Maybe this engine needs two maps, one for sports and one for comfort mode.

Work around:
1) Make a custom map 6 for comfort mode (or just keep with maps 1, 2 or 3.

2)In cars idrive menu go to Sport mode configuration and deactivate changes made to the engine but leave activated the other options (suspension, gears, driving wheel stiffness and gas pedal sensitivity)
Currently I found a limitation. Its “easy” to make a map 6 for sport mode (we start with a relative flat DME’s BOOST curve) but its difficult in comfort mode. Max Boost / RPM changes so abruptly between 4500 and 5000 rpm that current available duty bias range at the JB4 (I’ m using from 0 to 100 values) is not enough to cover the needed FF/rpm curve and using PID gain above a value of 10 trying to compensate might bring oscillations.

It would be great to have a custom map or even firmware for the B48 20i and if not possible at least to have a wider duty bias range (for de 20i 0 to 170-180 would be enough, maybe allow negative values).

Hope it helps, Jorge.
(#1271)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-13-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeIII
I had some difficulty getting consistent smooth pools with the Jb4 on a B48 320i (any map).

I found one of the causes and an easy workaround so I'm sharing my experience here.

In short:
Basically Engine DME boost map changes with driving mode (sport/comfort) and the same JB4 map won't work well in both driving modes. A work around is to deactivate in the Idrive menu from the car the changes de DME make to the engine in sport drive mode so the engine always runs like in comfort mode independently of other driving modes changes and a consistent jb4 map is easy to achieve.

The cause:

Engine boost by rpm changes with driving mode (sport/comfort/eco). In a wot pool in sport mode my 20i gets a flat 7.5 to 8 psi boost from low to max rpm. But doing the same in comfort mode I get a flat 4.5-5 psi boost with a 7.5-8 psi peak at 4500-5000 rpm. That is almost a 100% boost increase from 4000 to 4.5 psi)to 4500 (8 psi) rpm that the jb4 seems to have trouble compensating for (overshooting and over correcting= oscillations= not a nice ride).

So you can work on a fine tuned map 6 on sport mode, using duty bias to adjust de FF curve by rpm to mach PWM, using just the amount of PID gain to allow small corrections without oscillations, etc, and the car runs smooth and fast (huge HP difference from original 8 psi to flat 16 psi in the 20i). But the moment you switch to comfort mode or you restart the car and forget to switch back to sport and accelerate the engines DME gives a completely different boost / rpm curve and the jb4 goes crazy trying to adjust with the known unpleasant result.

Work around:

2)In cars idrive menu go to Sport mode configuration and deactivate changes made to the engine but leave activated the other options (suspension, gears, driving wheel stiffness and gas pedal sensitivity)
Currently I found a limitation. Its “easy” to make a map 6 for sport mode (we start with a relative flat DME’s BOOST curve) but its difficult in comfort mode. Max Boost / RPM changes so abruptly between 4500 and 5000 rpm that current available duty bias range at the JB4 (I’ m using from 0 to 100 values) is not enough to cover the needed FF/rpm curve and using PID gain above a value of 10 trying to compensate might bring oscillations.

It would be great to have a custom map or even firmware for the B48 20i and if not possible at least to have a wider duty bias range (for de 20i 0 to 170-180 would be enough, maybe allow negative values).

Hope it helps, Jorge.
If you have logs to post showing this that would be best for us to evaluate.

Burger Motorsports

(#1272)
Old

Car: BMW F31 320ix LCI
Default 06-14-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:

In short:

The cause:

Work around:

Hope it helps, Jorge.
I have discovered sport and comfort modes from the same problem. It would be nice to get product development for x20i engines. eg 320i dynamometer developmen
(#1273)
Old

Default 06-15-2018, 07:55 AM

How do I activate the AFR showing in cruise control area? I can't use the BC due to my gauge cluster and didn't see it as part of FUD bits. Please advise on where in the software I can enable. Thanks.
(#1274)
Old

Car: F30 320i Xdrive LCI B48
Default 06-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:

In short:

Hi Jorge,
On B48 320i, If I run map2, do you mean that it's better not to switch to sport engine mode to avoid JB misadaptation or malfunction?
(#1275)
Old

Car: F30 320i Xdrive LCI B48
Default 06-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Hi guys,
recently installed JB4 on my fully stock 320i B48. Passionate to understand all the settings it has in phone app. Any glossary available in one place? Thank you!