N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2006 E46 330cic ZHP
Default Lifting my E60 with a 2-post lift issues - 09-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Hi,
I have access to multiple automotive lifts at my local military installation because I'm retired. They have frame-lifting 2-post lifts and drive-on 4-post lifts. I'm very fortunate to have them at my disposal, and pretty cheap at $12/hr for the lift plus all tools.

I usually prefer to use a 2-post lift because it allows me to remove my wheels to balance or adjust my Coilovers, etc. The problem is, the jack pads are very very hard to get the lifting arms under properly, they just won't line up. Some lifts are easier than others, and some are flat-out impossible. I know which ones I can use, but sometimes they are already occupied (and sometimes for days on end).

That said...
If I absolutely just can't get a lift that will work under the jack pads, is there another safe place(s) to put the lifting arms? In front of or farther behind the jack pads maybe along that same "rail"?

Thanks!

// Radar //

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#2)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 10-06-2017, 10:06 AM

can't say positively - but since no one else has replied ...

I've seen multiple shops lift the car with a two post from under the side sill (on the "rail") with no damage, lift arms were not over the pads.

2009 535i Sport
Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

(#3)
Old

Car: 2006 E46 330cic ZHP
Default 10-07-2017, 04:13 PM

Really...that’s interesting!

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#4)
Old

Car: E82 135i
Default 12-25-2017, 12:11 AM

Is it a vehicle height issue or an issue with the length of the hoist arms being too short or arms too thick?