N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Question M240i MANUAL trans - help routing OBDII please - 08-12-2017, 07:57 PM

I have been following Burger Tuning for years and finally am ready to take the JB4 plunge on my brand new B58.

I did a pre-install walk-thru before ordering to see if I couldn't get it all figured out and it seems really easy - except for the part where you route the OBDII cable through from the lower panel interior up through to the engine.

The instructions say there is supposed to be a rubber grommet, which I found, but it seems very difficult to push through to the inside from the cowl area as it has a rubber stopper on the outside AND in addition there is an existing thick cable through the grommet and hole (I think it's the brake line or the manual transmission line). The clutch pedal is most definitely in the way as well even if I could get the grommet out but I might be able to work around that.

I saw a post about someone else who has this car but no idea how they managed to get it all done.

Should I tug and try to pull the grommet out upwards towards the engine compartment? Force it into the interior like the instructions say? What about that wire, how to route the JB4 cable alongside it, is there even room? I have regular fish tape and fiberglass fish rod for drywall to use if needed, assuming there is room and I won't damage the existing wire! I just need some piece of mind on exactly how to proceed.

I can attach photos if it would help.

Thanks and very much looking forward to being a customer!!!!

2017 B58/M240i Convertible / Manual Transmission / Stock Equipment
93 Octane
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-13-2017, 10:35 AM

The manuals are a headache since the grommet is tighter but it routes the same basic way.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-13-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The manuals are a headache since the grommet is tighter but it routes the same basic way.
Thanks for the quick reply... gave me the confidence to press ahead and I was eventually able to push the rubber flange of the grommet into the hole and thus the entire grommet forward on the wire into the interior. This provides enough room to route the OBDII wire (probably not the data cable though).

This required puncturing the foamy membrane between the interior and engine compartment a little - but it's harmless and will be covered up by the panel, and if one is worried about exposure, it's actually possible to push the grommet back up once another wire is routed, so it can all work out very cleanly.

If anyone else is curious - I have pictures of what it looks like from underneath.

93 Octane
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-13-2017, 08:20 PM

For the data cable the bluetooth wireless adapter might be a better choice. Or just run it in the door jamb when you want to use it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-13-2017, 08:59 PM

Door jamb might be the way to go since I won't always need the connection. As another idea, does routing thru the glove box still work on these newer models? I have a 2017 F23 (convertible). If there are instructions for F chassis on how to route via the glove box I am handy enough to try it.

93 Octane
(#6)
Old

Car: F20 125i
Default 08-14-2017, 04:54 AM

the best option is to go further down to the big bundle of cables behind and below the clutch from interior. From the engine view is about 8-10inches/20/25cm below the suggested area from the pdf manuals.
Make an tiny incision to the rubber and pass it through. This is the easy way.
The hard way is pass it along the of the bundle and thats it.
(#7)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-14-2017, 09:31 PM

That's great Herc thanks! I saw other wires but did not think much of it at the time. It makes sense that there would be other places in the metal between the interior and engine compartment where they have wires routed. I will check it out and post results.

93 Octane
(#8)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-14-2017, 10:21 PM

Just to be safe, are you referring to the larger bundle in the orange circle, or the wires coming out of the rubber that is slightly lower (in red).
Attached Images

93 Octane
(#9)
Old

Default 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM

yeap the orange one thats the one i am talking about
am manual as well hence why i know the trick have done the same
(#10)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Cool. Many thanks

93 Octane
(#11)
Old

Default 08-15-2017, 10:05 PM

you welcome!!! If you do have time to take a couple o pics for the DIY for future reference
(#12)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 08-16-2017, 05:44 AM

Yeah. Once I get the JB4 I will install it and take pictures of the routing for a manual tranny F-chassis. Probably will post a DIY in the DIY thread. I noticed there was a sticky a mile long about USB routing through the firewall but the first few pages at least do not cover this specific case for newer F models with a manual. There are glove box options in that thread but those instructions do not line up 100% with what I saw in terms of my glove box. I'll show what I did with the large grommet referred to by Terry for the OBDII cable and then your idea for the data cable.

93 Octane
(#13)
Old

Default 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM

For the N20/B48 engines due to the JB4 positioning the data cable can also bass through there.