N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1251)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0t2bmiirii
Terry.. I might decide to go c@t-1ess, whatís the most boost you think I can push?
I have no idea what effect that will have on performance for the platform. Often, it's a lot less than you expect.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1252)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0t (300hp) AWD
Default 10-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I have no idea what effect that will have on performance for the platform. Often, it's a lot less than you expect.
Probably not gonna do it... to expensive just for the labor

2017 Q50 3.0t Silver Sport (AWD)
-Full exhaust with d0wnp1pes
-Stillen Cold Air Intake
-Jb4 (map 6)
(#1253)
Old
Driver

Car: 2016 Infinti Q50 3.0t (300 hp) AWD
Default 10-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Probably not gonna do it... to expensive just for the labor
Modern cats are pretty efficient, not like back when the technology was new in the 70s and 80s. Those were like sticking a potato in your tailpipe!

2016 Q50 3.0t (300hp) AWD
BMS JB4
(#1254)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50 RS400
Default 10-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Terry, I know you just came out with boost by speed, what other features are you working that we can look forward to?
(#1255)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rs400newbie
Terry, I know you just came out with boost by speed, what other features are you working that we can look forward to?
When I want to make things public I post them. Until then, enjoy what we've released so far.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1256)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Sport
Default 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Iíve been using the Stage 1 unit since it was release and recently upgraded to the JB4. Loved Stage 1, but the JB4 is a whole new game. Love the logging ability and power delivery. Like most, I found Stage 1 a little harsh/jerkey at low moderate throttle.

After some extensive logging, it looks like Iím also seeing AFR fluctuation at WOT on both map 1 and 2. Currently running on map 2 and car pulls super smooth.

Terry-I know you stated this could be a back pressure thing. Do you think a *** back would help? If not, any drawbacks to running the car as-is? I currently have the Infiniti sport axelback and AEM intakes. Everything else is stock and am on 93 pump.

Iíve attached a log graph and csv file for reference. Other than afr fluctuation, things look good to me. That said, it would be great to get other peopleís thoughts. Iím still a novice at this stuff, but am learning.

Name:  IMG_1669.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  72.8 KB

2017-10-11 02_43_17.csv

Last edited by chainar1; 10-11-2017 at 04:51 PM..
(#1257)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Data there looks fine to me. On the AFR fluctuation under higher load, I don't know what effect intakes or exhausts has on that. But we tend to see it more under higher boost levels at higher engine speed. I don't think it's a cause for concern as timing is solid indicating happy combustion.

Burger Motorsports

(#1258)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Sport
Default 10-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Data there looks fine to me. On the AFR fluctuation under higher load, I don't know what effect intakes or exhausts has on that. But we tend to see it more under higher boost levels at higher engine speed. I don't think it's a cause for concern as timing is solid indicating happy combustion.
Awesome. Thanks so much for taking a look, Terry. Good to know I'm on the right track.

It would be interesting to see some logs from people who have exhaust modifications. Anyone?

And for anyone who wants to use my log as a reference point, I have a 2017 SS and have been running Shell 93 on Map 2.
(#1259)
Old

Car: 2017 Q60
Default popcorn - 10-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Hi Terry, I was just wondering if there is anyway to possibly do something within JB4 to make our cars exhausts pop and crackle like 335s do these cars exhausts wont pop for anything. I heard with ECU tunes there's ways to make it so more fuel is dumped into the exhaust causing it to pop so maybe JB4 can do something similar? PS love JB4 Cheers!
(#1260)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q60_harry
Hi Terry, I was just wondering if there is anyway to possibly do something within JB4 to make our cars exhausts pop and crackle like 335s do these cars exhausts wont pop for anything. I heard with ECU tunes there's ways to make it so more fuel is dumped into the exhaust causing it to pop so maybe JB4 can do something similar? PS love JB4 Cheers!
+1 on that.. my cousin has a 335 and heís able to dump little extra fuel to make the exhaust pop, I think itís within the jb4 because he doesnít have a ECUTEK tune

-Stillen Cold Air Intake
-Jb4 (map 6)
(#1261)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 02:43 AM

Or actually maybe he does because it’s called MHD i just did a little research, it’s an app for Android, according to the video it was “Writing ECU”. So I’m not sure how it works exactly.

-Stillen Cold Air Intake
-Jb4 (map 6)
(#1262)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50 SilverSport 3.0T
Default 10-12-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Or actually maybe he does because itís called MHD i just did a little research, itís an app for Android, according to the video it was ďWriting ECUĒ. So Iím not sure how it works exactly.
Add another interested party to the list. I would love this. But don't think it would be so healthy for the engine
(#1263)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusbetaX
Add another interested party to the list. I would love this. But don't think it would be so healthy for the engine
i don't get it, why would it be bad? i figured just a little extra fuel u would be burning

-Stillen Cold Air Intake
-Jb4 (map 6)
(#1264)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50 SilverSport 3.0T
Default 10-12-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
i don't get it, why would it be bad? i figured just a little extra fuel u would be burning
I don't know exactly since I'm no mechanic but from my understanding doesn't more fuel cause a larger amount of oil burn since the fuel is drying up the inside of the engine more? something along those lines, not really sure, I think I watched a Engineering Explained video on it. I don't think its a big deal honestly if you just watch your engine oil levels, temp, and keep it changed as well. Terry is the expert here
(#1265)
Old

Car: infiniti
Default 10-12-2017, 10:32 AM

just received my cable ! pretty excited to go out side and level the boost higher then +3......

any help? i down loaded from the link on page one but its saying jb4? this is jb1....
(#1266)
Old

Car: infiniti
Default 10-12-2017, 11:22 AM

any one with a mac laptop mind helping>?
(#1267)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-12-2017, 11:25 AM

JB4 interface is also used to adjust JB1 settings.

Burger Motorsports

(#1268)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-12-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q60_harry
No, that requires changes directly to the fuel injector logic, which can only be adjusted within the ECU and only adjusted IF the ECU allows for that sort of adjustment (like BMW does).

Burger Motorsports

(#1269)
Old

Car: Q50 rs
Default 10-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Hey guys hoping someone can help me out. Just upgraded jb1 to jb4. Was working awesome! Just tested it out with map 1 on my red sport. Decided to upgrade firmware. Read about going to N54 versions under E series jb4. Updated to latest jb4 ISO 32_9_T2 hex. Installed fine over Bluetooth cable. Now it defaults to 'safety map 4'. Gauges don't work and if the change the map it still shows as map 4. Please help!!!
(#1270)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 06:20 PM

What version firmware you guys running? Just unhooked it. Now it's throwing check engine light ��

Last edited by drj41; 10-12-2017 at 06:45 PM..
(#1271)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj41
Hey guys hoping someone can help me out. Just upgraded jb1 to jb4. Was working awesome! Just tested it out with map 1 on my red sport. Decided to upgrade firmware. Read about going to N54 versions under E series jb4. Updated to latest jb4 ISO 32_9_T2 hex. Installed fine over Bluetooth cable. Now it defaults to 'safety map 4'. Gauges don't work and if the change the map it still shows as map 4. Please help!!!
Just to double check - you did use the firmware from the 2nd post for the JB4 - the link is below the video?!?

File Type: hex JB4_Q50_OBDII_1_4.hex (41.6 KB, 38 views)
(#1272)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50
Default 10-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj41
where did you get that firmware update from? The firmware should be on the first page JB4_Q50_OBDII_1_4.hex
(#1273)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 07:20 PM

lol I def out the wrong firmware on. Read somewhere about using that firmware until there is dedicated q50/60 firmware. Put the correct firmware on. Works again as it did. Deleted the code that threw the check engine light. Car running normal. Might have dodged a bullet this time. Gonna be a little more careful next time. Thanks for the help guys!
(#1274)
Old

Car: Q50 RS400
Default 10-13-2017, 05:25 AM

Could someone go through the firmware upgrade process using the Bluetooth kit? I click on firmware update and it just takes me to the N54tech main website. Thanks
(#1275)
Old

Car: All of 'em
Default 10-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yld2rob
Could someone go through the firmware upgrade process using the Bluetooth kit? I click on firmware update and it just takes me to the N54tech main website. Thanks
When the n54 tech website loads, on the top right there is a green dropdown arrow. That arrow will take you to the jb4 firmware folder so you can select which firmware to flash. If you downloaded it and transferred it to your phone you need to put it in the Internal Storage\JB4Mobile Data\Firmware folder, so that it will pop up.

It takes you to the n54tech forum so that you can go download whatever hex you need and it will automatically place it in the firmware folder for you to select.

Be sure you select the correct firmware as the q50 is super unique and I'm sure any other vehicles firmware will cause a host of issues. Furthermore be sure your bluetooth connection is stable, as any packets failing to upload will absolutely cause issues.

Don't let me scare you though, it's very easy, just pick the right file, make sure your connection is good, and rock and roll brother.