N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 335i w/n54
Default Mfactory YCW setup - 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Ok, I'm installing my YCW coilovers. I will take it to a shop for alignment but I'm not sure how to set them initially. I get that there is a spring perch adjustment for setting ride height. What should I do with the shock length adjustment to start with? I'm not sure how to gauge how long they should be and how that affects handling characteristics. There is also a dampening adjustment. I'm not talking about that, just the length of the shocks. Thanks!

Ben

2010 335i xdrive MT with JB4 G5 and JB race BEF, G5 2step relay, BMS DCI, CDV mod, VRSF 5" FMIC, VRSF ***, chargepipe and exhaust, Forge DVs, BMS OCC, RB ext PCV with Mishimoto OCC, BMS Meth kit, RB silicone inlets, MMP outlets, 4bar TMAP, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, MFactory LSD, M3 rear control arms, Diff lockdown, Powerflex black rear subframe and diff bushings, Turner race pedals, UUC evo3 SSK, Swaybarbarian sways, YCW/SWIFT coilovers, Spec Stage 2+ clutch, Mfactory flywheel, Bavsound
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW E92 M3
Default 01-29-2017, 11:28 AM

How much you thread the lower mount on the rear damper will depend on what ride height you require and how much droop you want. The best setting for road use is to adjust the lower mount just enough that the droop is similar to stock, then you can adjust the ride height via the spring height adjuster

MFactory / YCW Engineering (LSD's, Gears, Flywheels, Clutches, Driveshafts, Axles) - www.teammfactory.com
YCW Suspension (Mid-Range Coilovers) - www.ycwsuspension.com
SWIFT Springs Europe (Exclusive Distributor) - www.swiftspringseurope.com
SWIFT Springs Asia (Exclusive Distributor) - www.swiftspringsasia.com
(#3)
Old

Default 01-29-2017, 02:37 PM

That makes sense. Now I just need to figure out how much droop stock has. Mine hasn't been stock for a while...

Ben

2010 335i xdrive MT with JB4 G5 and JB race BEF, G5 2step relay, BMS DCI, CDV mod, VRSF 5" FMIC, VRSF ***, chargepipe and exhaust, Forge DVs, BMS OCC, RB ext PCV with Mishimoto OCC, BMS Meth kit, RB silicone inlets, MMP outlets, 4bar TMAP, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, MFactory LSD, M3 rear control arms, Diff lockdown, Powerflex black rear subframe and diff bushings, Turner race pedals, UUC evo3 SSK, Swaybarbarian sways, YCW/SWIFT coilovers, Spec Stage 2+ clutch, Mfactory flywheel, Bavsound
(#4)
Old

Default 01-29-2017, 08:43 PM

What dampers did you have in it previously?

MFactory / YCW Engineering (LSD's, Gears, Flywheels, Clutches, Driveshafts, Axles) - www.teammfactory.com
(#5)
Old

Default 01-30-2017, 06:15 AM

Well, I had KW V1s since I bought it. I was never happy with those.

Ben

(#6)
Old

Default 01-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Ah, ok. The KW V1's should be set to similar length as the oem, so you could use those as a comparison for length.