N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1551)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-13-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrrrx1
Oh ok. Can it take an installation error 1-2 weeks to trigger a CEL? I thought thatíd be instant. If it doesnít go away on itís own after a week and I clear the code, will it come back if something is really wrong?
Thanks
Not normally no, so if that is the situation more likely a loose pin in the harness not making contact with the sensor (you can unplug, inspect/bend pin, plug back in) or DME requires the TSB update for a false alarm MAF fault.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1552)
Old

Car: 2018 Infiniti Q50S
Default 11-13-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I tested one locally with no issues, so you're good to go.
Awesome. Thanks, Terry!
(#1553)
Old

Car: q50s
Default 11-13-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Not normally no, so if that is the situation more likely a loose pin in the harness not making contact with the sensor (you can unplug, inspect/bend pin, plug back in) or DME requires the TSB update for a false alarm MAF fault.
Ok cool Iíll go correct any bends I see. Thanks Terry!
(#1554)
Old

Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50RS
Default 11-14-2017, 02:11 PM

Hey terry on an e30 blend can I daily on map 5? On an rs?
(#1555)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-14-2017, 02:21 PM

You'd want to log and evaluate it, but given how much boost the RS runs up top from the factory, generally maps over map2 are overkill for it, IMHO.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1556)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Sport
Default 11-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Hey Terry,

Ran into an odd issue with the JB4 on my SS. I've been running Map 2 on 93 w/ no problems for over a month now. However, on two separate occasions it seemed that my car wasn't boosting right at moderate throttle. Specifically, boost wouldn't budge past 3-4 psi at half throttle. It has happened only twice to point. Also, when it happened, boost at WOT didn't seem effected as I was getting a full 15psi when flooring it. On both occasions, jumping to map 1 and then back to map 2 seemed to fix the problem.

Just wondering if you've run into anything like this. Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks!
(#1557)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-14-2017, 05:02 PM

The ECU remains in control of boost pressure so if it wants to lower it for some reason, it will. But normally if there is a fault coming up it will give you a CEL in dash to let you know. Maybe just some other situation going on within the ECU where it wanted to reduce boost.

Burger Motorsports

(#1558)
Old

Default 11-14-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
The ECU remains in control of boost pressure so if it wants to lower it for some reason, it will. But normally if there is a fault coming up it will give you a CEL in dash to let you know. Maybe just some other situation going on within the ECU where it wanted to reduce boost.
Hmm. Interesting. Makes sense. It just seemed odd that it would persist until I switched to Map 1. Map 1 would immediately correct the issue. Then, when switching back to Map 2, the problem didn't return.
(#1559)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-14-2017, 09:08 PM

If you want us to dig deeper try to capture a log of the sequence and we'll see if anything stands out.

Burger Motorsports

(#1560)
Old

Default 11-14-2017, 09:33 PM

Definitely will if it happens again.

Thanks so much for your help, Terry!
(#1561)
Old

Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
Default 11-15-2017, 07:12 AM

So, I got my JB4 upgrade. Installed it last night. Pretty straight forward. Took about 30 minutes. The upgrade from the JB1 is definitely noticeable in terms of it's smoothness. The JB1 jerked when it hit, and was quite abrupt at times. This is super smooth. It also made a crap transmission, much easier to deal with. I never liked the tranny on this car, or my G35. This makes it seem much improved, as I always thought it was stuck in too high a gear, and it drove me nuts. Running map 6 with the following parameters.

1500 RPM>>>1.5lbs
2000 RPM>>>2.0lbs
2500 RPM>>>3.0lbs
3000 RPM>>>3.0lbs
3500 RPM>>>3.5lbs
4000 RPM>>>3.5lbs
4500 RPM>>>3.0lbs
5000 RPM>>>2.5lbs
5500 RPM>>>2.0lbs
6000 RPM>>>0.0lbs
6500 RPM>>>0.0lbs
7000 RPM>>>0.0lbs
(#1562)
Old

Car: Q50 Red sport
Default 11-15-2017, 10:19 PM

Just got the JB4 and aem air intake for my 2017 q50 red sport. SUPER EXCITED. please tell me how i control the maps as i do not have the bluetooth connection for my phone. Also please let me know on what map can I use the E85 and 93 mix and by what percentage. New to tuning that why have a few questions. thanks in advance
(#1563)
Old

Default 11-15-2017, 10:30 PM

My second question is also that if i do not have the BMS cable or bluetooth control device, will I be able to change maps? please advise
(#1564)
Old

Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
Default 11-16-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS400BLUE
My second question is also that if i do not have the BMS cable or bluetooth control device, will I be able to change maps? please advise
You will not be able to change the maps without either one.
(#1565)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t Sport
Default 11-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Just picked up a new 18 Q50 3.0t Sport on a lease. Don't want to throw too much into it but would like to get some more power out of it (safely). Is JB1 my best option? Don't want to do anything crazy and would prefer to stay on pump gas.

Looks like I can expect 30-50hp extra out of JB1?
(#1566)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM

JB1 and enjoy. No easier or cheaper way to pickup power on them! And when you're done with the car you just remove and resell it.

Burger Motorsports

(#1567)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t Sport
Default 11-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
JB1 and enjoy. No easier or cheaper way to pickup power on them! And when you're done with the car you just remove and resell it.
Is the upgrade to the JB4 worth it for daily driving purposes? The Q50 FB seems more inclined for the JB4 vs 1
(#1568)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Premium 3.0T Black Obsidian
Wink JB4 is the best Upgrade for your Q50 - 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefnwa
Is the upgrade to the JB4 worth it for daily driving purposes? The Q50 FB seems more inclined for the JB4 vs 1
My Q50 3.0t Premium+ is my daily driver and I have the JB4 installed in it. I use Map 6 with the custom user settings gradually increasing from 1 psi at 1,500 rpm up to 6 psi at 5,500 rpm on just 93 Octane Gas. I can only say that I am very happy Q50 owner. I only have the JB4 mod in my Q50 and I have been able to clock it 0-60mph at 4.3 secs (not quite easy, you have to avoid the rear tires spins).

Last edited by Q50TurboLover; 11-16-2017 at 04:43 PM..
(#1569)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-16-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Some prefer it, but it's a little more money and install effort. You can always start with Stage1 then get the upgrade kit later if you want. Works out to the same price.

Burger Motorsports

(#1570)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q50 RS400
Default 11-16-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
If youíre getting a JB, might as well go JB4 so you wonít miss out on cool features.
(#1571)
Old

Default 11-16-2017, 10:43 PM

@slimjim2525, what map does jb4 come with stock to install which i can use on my Redsport, until i get my bluetooth kit? i will be able to install the jb4 without the data cable right?
(#1572)
Old

Car: 2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
Default 11-17-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS400BLUE
@slimjim2525, what map does jb4 come with stock to install which i can use on my Redsport, until i get my bluetooth kit? i will be able to install the jb4 without the data cable right?
JB4 comes with Map 1 set as the default. I have a 17 RS and am running Map 1 right now. You can install the JB4 without the data cable or Bluetooth module but you will need one of those if you wish to change the map and log.

Speaking of logs...Terry, can you take a look at these? 91 octane pump gas (all that's available to me). The timestamps of 22 are with traction control and 23 are without. For each set (22/23) I did a run from a full stop and a run from about 40 mph. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-11-16 22_49_25.csv (9.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: csv 2017-11-16 22_50_02.csv (7.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: csv 2017-11-16 23_14_35.csv (7.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv 2017-11-16 23_15_27.csv (7.3 KB, 10 views)
(#1573)
Old

Car: 2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
Default 11-17-2017, 01:00 AM

I should probably make an introduction...

Longtime lurker on this forum but just registered today. I try to be active on the Q50 forum when time permits (don't have Facebook so no access to that group). Just want to say thanks to Burger for all of your hard work and taking on this platform, and after painfully reading this entire thread, great customer service!
(#1574)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-17-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlockWar
Runs look clean to me. Timing is sloping upwards towards redline, fueling in check, boost on target.

Burger Motorsports

(#1575)
Old

Default 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM

@TERRY, Can I run a mix of 30%E85 and 70%93octance on map 1 of jb4 for the red sport?