N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 335i e92 M Sport
Default JB4 issue after plugging in OBD cable - 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Hi Everyone, I've had the same sort of issue happen a couple of times and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. Apologies in advance for the long post.

I'm currently running the JB4 + bluetooth connector along with the BEF loaded via MHD. I'm due for inspection/emissions test, so I wanted to check my readiness with MHD to see if everything was good. I put on map 0 and connected the OBD cable, and was able to read the codes for a few minutes, but then I got a CEL and limp mode notification with the OBD cable still connected. I shut everything down, unplugged the cable, waited a few moments, and then turned on the ignition (didn't crank the engine), and the JB4 steering wheel controls don't work. It's completely dead. I re-ran codes with MHD and got the "sensor ground to earth" errors for the sensors plugged into the JB4 harness, basically the same code you get if the sensor isn't plugged in at all. The JB4 is just dead. In the past I've disconnected the battery, unplugged and re-connected everything and got it all working again, but I'm not sure what I'm doing to cause this. I was under the impression that it's safe to connect an OBD cable while in map 0 but evidently something isn't working right. Do I potentially have something defective somewhere?
(#2)
Old

Car: F30 335i
Default 12-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Not really sure why the OBD plug allows you to piggy back, you really don't want to run anything with the JB4 even in map 0. I always remove the JB4 OBD2 plug before reading codes, checking readiness, or anything else that requires OBD connector.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2013 335i e92 M Sport
Default 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM

Quick update- I left the battery unplugged for a while, and re-did the connection on the CAN wires, and everything fired up as normal. Kind of weird, maybe I just confused the JB4 and temporarily reset it or something.