N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Wink My first Race in 08 535i vs tuned lexus 350 - 05-06-2017, 02:52 PM

What's up guys. This is the first actual race where I put my car to the test.

My specs are: 08 535i / Jb4- Map 5/ DCI

I was on Shoup Blvd in Woodland hills driving regular listening to some old school tunes on the way home with my cousin. We just came back for some really good BBQ so it probably added some weight lol. Anyhow I'm a big guy, 6'4 260lbs and my cousin is probably around 200lbs solid. No, I'm not fat ;0). Just a big guy. I played college ball as a defensive end - yeah I can probably lose a little but I'm fairly solid.

Anyhow back to the story, so we were just driving and I notice this nice sounding car probably going 80+ as he passed us to the left. My cousin said "hey man that car looks fast, you should race him. I was kinda thinking about it at the light but wasn't really going to until this guy rips up the light. I was like **** it, slammed the pedal and off we went. By this point this guy had easily two cars before I bothered to play. We raced at least up to 120mph and that's when I left off. I was creeping up to him slowly. I really started to hack him at 90mph but I figured I would slow down a bit. Hey man I didn't even think that I would drive so fast but it was fun.

I pulled up to his side and nodded my head. He.gave me a smile and a thumbs up. This guy was at max 150lbs, looked like skeletor. His car sounded really nice and asked him what he had. He said his ride was fully tuned.

Does this sound about right? I probably had easily 300lbs of extra weight between me and my cousin.

My car was in normal mode, probably should have a least put it in DS. Would manual shift up and down make a difference?

Anyhow it was fun. I plan to get some down ***** / tune with some e35 later down the line.

Talk to u guys soon.

-Melo

Last edited by Dave M; 05-07-2017 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: ..
(#2)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 05-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
What's up guys. This is the first actual race where I put my car to the test.

My specs are: 08 535i / Jb4- Map 5/ DCI

I was on Shoup Blvd in Woodland hills driving regular listening to some old school tunes on the way home with my cousin. We just came back for some really good BBQ so it probably added some weight lol. Anyhow I'm a big guy, 6'4 260lbs and my cousin is probably around 200lbs solid. No, I'm not fat ;0). Just a big guy. I played college ball as a defensive end - yeah I can probably lose a little but I'm fairly solid.

Anyhow back to the story, so we were just driving and I notice this nice sounding car probably going 80+ as he passed us to the left. My cousin said "hey man that car looks fast, you should race him. I was kinda thinking about it at the light but wasn't really going to until this guy rips up the light. I was like **** it, slammed the pedal and off we went. By this point this guy had easily two cars before I bothered to play. We raced at least up to 120mph and that's when I left off. I was creeping up to him slowly. I really started to hack him at 90mph but I figured I would slow down a bit. Hey man I didn't even think that I would drive so fast but it was fun.

I pulled up to his side and nodded my head. He.gave me a smile and a thumbs up. This guy was at max 150lbs, looked like skeletor. His car sounded really nice and asked him what he had. He said his ride was fully tuned.

Does this sound about right? I probably had easily 300lbs of extra weight between me and my cousin.

My car was in normal mode, probably should have a least put it in DS. Would manual shift up and down make a difference?

Anyhow it was fun. I plan to get some down ***** / tune with some e35 later down the line.

Talk to u guys soon.

-Melo

ayeee u were running on shoup? thats like right by me lmao have you ever seen a red M235 with YALLA written on the license plate?
(#3)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 05-09-2017, 08:29 PM

From a roll, go in manual mode and drop gears, you want your rpm to be around the 3500-4000 range. regardless of being in D or DS, when you floor it, the car will drop down the best gear.
If you do a lot of racing, get the JB4 anti-lag.

VRSF Inlets, Chargepipe, **'s, FMIC
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash w/Nexus 7
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Gloss Black BMW M359 M3 Competition Wheels
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Tires
Installed all the parts myself.
(#4)
Old

Default 05-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22_shayan
ayeee u were running on shoup? thats like right by me lmao have you ever seen a red M235 with YALLA written on the license plate?

I live off Valley Circle and Kittridge

Haven't seen your ride but would like to.

What kind of mods you got?

I found out the next day that my car wasn't running at full strength

Error code P0303 came up on my dash. My buddy checked out the car, took off the valve cover etc - he was like yep - this needs to be changed. He's a master mechanic and knows his ****.

This probably didn't help as well, my car wasn't running at full potential.

Gonna swap them all out - just for maintenance. This should help right?
(#5)
Old

Default 05-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpro88
From a roll, go in manual mode and drop gears, you want your rpm to be around the 3500-4000 range. regardless of being in D or DS, when you floor it, the car will drop down the best gear.
If you do a lot of racing, get the JB4 anti-lag.
awesome thanks for the feedback brother
(#6)
Old

Default 05-09-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Error code P0303 came up on my dash. My buddy checked out the car, took off the valve cover etc - he was like yep - this needs to be changed. He's a master mechanic and knows his ****.

lmao no way! im right off valley circle and victory lmao and as far as my car, i have the BMS intake, BMS stage 1 tune, Active autowerke FMIC, Dinan springs and thats about it for now
(#7)
Old

Default 05-09-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
lmao no way! im right off valley circle and victory lmao and as far as my car, i have the BMS intake, BMS stage 1 tune, Active autowerke FMIC, Dinan springs and thats about it for now
awesome man, come by one day and well have a beer bro

Nice mods

I have some BMS DCI's / BMS Jb4 /

planning on getting down ***** by end of month. For my birthday - asking my wife to get my intercooler (june 23rd)

Right now im excited to swap out those spark plugs since im running on 5 right now. Gonna get a nice power feedback.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
awesome man, come by one day and well have a beer bro

Nice mods

I have some BMS DCI's / BMS Jb4 /

planning on getting down ***** by end of month. For my birthday - asking my wife to get my intercooler (june 23rd)

Right now im excited to swap out those spark plugs since im running on 5 right now. Gonna get a nice power feedback.
hahah will do bro! we should get a run in too!
(#9)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 06-03-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Was just browsing thread and saw Kittridge! I too live right off Kittridge and always wonder who owns the various n54,55s around the area. I'm in a 2008 335i titanium silver E90. Not trying to hijack so I'll leave the rest out. Good to know others on the forum are in the area!

E90 - 2008 -335i - FBO: WedgePerformance Tune, xHP Stage 2, Inlets, BMS DCI, 7" FMIC, ER CP w/BOV, VRSF meow-less ** w/lower cp upgrade, Vanguard full catback exhaust, KW V2 Coilovers, rear diff strut brace. Wheels stock af.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-03-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Did I do some 3rd rolls with you!? I'm in the silver 335i. The one that was testing out the new tune. If I recall, the person I think you are had a Dinan Stage 1 and high flow cats with resonators.

E90 - 2008 -335i - FBO: WedgePerformance Tune, xHP Stage 2, Inlets, BMS DCI, 7" FMIC, ER CP w/BOV, VRSF meow-less ** w/lower cp upgrade, Vanguard full catback exhaust, KW V2 Coilovers, rear diff strut brace. Wheels stock af.
(#11)
Old

Default 06-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLIT
Did I do some 3rd rolls with you!? I'm in the silver 335i. The one that was testing out the new tune. If I recall, the person I think you are had a Dinan Stage 1 and high flow cats with resonators.
I mean i have ran a few 335's but i don think that was me, i have BMS intake, jb stage 1 and a AA intercooler. but if you live in woodland hills, we should meetup and do some runs bro!
(#12)
Old

Default 06-03-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I mean i have ran a few 335's but i don think that was me, i have BMS intake, jb stage 1 and a AA intercooler. but if you live in woodland hills, we should meetup and do some runs bro!
You're definitely correct in that it wasn't you. The car I thought you were I just remembered was a V8 so thats that. Definitely down to do some runs. PM me your info man!

(#13)
Old

Default 06-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Hey what's up guys, wasn't me neither lol. I live in West hills on valley circle and victory, we should all meet up.

Do you guys have a code reader? My car has some sort of vacuum leak around the middle part where the ac comes out of and at other times right under the passenger side. My car is running like **** right now literally power is 1/3.

If you guys want to help out, I'll throw in some beers and a little dinero. Anyhow​ we should all chill.
(#14)
Old

Default 06-04-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Hey what's up guys, wasn't me neither lol. I live in West hills on valley circle and victory, we should all meet up.

Do you guys have a code reader? My car has some sort of vacuum leak around the middle part where the ac comes out of and at other times right under the passenger side. My car is running like **** right now literally power is 1/3.

If you guys want to help out, I'll throw in some beers and a little dinero. Anyhow​ we should all chill.
watsup man im in woodland hills, off valley circle and victory i have a code reader if you want to meetup and read them?
(#15)
Old

Default 06-04-2017, 06:20 PM

We are literally neighbors. ;0)

Do you know how to work on cars by any chance ?

Pm me your number bro, would love hanging out with some people from the forums especially some so close.

I got two Rugrats and a cool wife
(#16)
Old

Default 06-04-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
We are literally neighbors. ;0)

Do you know how to work on cars by any chance ?

Pm me your number bro, would love hanging out with some people from the forums especially some so close.

I got two Rugrats and a cool wife
haha i mean i can get around, i do all my own work lmao. and fosho man
(#17)
Old

Default 06-04-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Definitely down to meet some neighbors that share the same (good) taste in cars. I have a laptop and INPA-OBD2 cable so I'm sure we could get some codes. I'm used to getting codes through JB4 app and MHD Logging but nothing too difficult to do I'm sure. If you really want to get it handled you could probably buy an Autel reader from AutoZone or something and just return it after you get the codes off it. Not exactly the most honorable approach, but it's legal so why not.

(#18)
Old

Default 06-04-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
haha i mean i can get around, i do all my own work lmao. and fosho man
I can help with some resources... Have the Bently Service manual and a bunch of tools that make working without your own hydraulic lift easier.

(#19)
Old

Default 06-05-2017, 10:53 AM

Unlike COBB or MHD, flashing your car with a PC gives you the ability to do a lot more/make things worse. I would advise to be cautious with anyone who is willing to plug in their laptop to your car. Just make sure they know their stuff/do your own research.
Reading codes is easy, any autozone or similar stores will do it for free, they won't let you keep the code reader (you might be able to rent one) but they will pull the codes off the car/tell you them.
JLIT seems to know more than the common N54 guy.

If you don't have the room or money for a lift, this is my set up:
At first I used (2) rhino ramps and (2) harbor freight 3-ton aluminum jacks.
Then I upgraded to 4 harbor freight 3-ton aluminum jacks.
I made my own pad adaptors for the jacks out of solid aluminum bars.
I also made a mechanical lock for each of the jacks, these get slid over the hydraulic cylinder of the bottle jack and lock in between the base of the jack and the top of the cylinder where it meets a mechanical linkage. This eliminates the need of jack stands. With a steel mechanical lock in place, I lower the jack until the lock engages. I've used this system many times, left the car in air for over a week, so I feel safe under the car.

VRSF Inlets, Chargepipe, **'s, FMIC
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash w/Nexus 7
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Gloss Black BMW M359 M3 Competition Wheels
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Tires
Installed all the parts myself.
(#20)
Old

Default 06-05-2017, 11:24 AM

Thanks for putting in your feedback on this. Good info here bud! I appreciate it.
(#21)
Old

Default 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM

Now my car has absolutely no power.

I am fairly sure it has to do with the turbo vacuum lines or piping

Literally can hear the turbos spooling louder than ever, but it's not catching like. My care feels like its NA because the boost isn't hitting anywhere close to where it needs to be. I can hear it inside the cabin fairly well (turbo(, then the air swoosh sound on the under right side of passengers feet or middle console sporadically.

Got the charge pipe just in case from Terry, but from the top can't see anything.

A 6 pack and N54 hug to the brother who helps out with this issue from around my hood .
Ill throw in some coin also for the help. Running fairly tight right now but I appreciate peoples time more than anything.

Going to be calling you guys soon to coordinate a get together.

How old are you guys btw? Got any kiddos/wifey?
(#22)
Old

Default 06-05-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Now my car has absolutely no power.

I am fairly sure it has to do with the turbo vacuum lines or piping

Literally can hear the turbos spooling louder than ever, but it's not catching like. My care feels like its NA because the boost isn't hitting anywhere close to where it needs to be. I can hear it inside the cabin fairly well (turbo(, then the air swoosh sound on the under right side of passengers feet or middle console sporadically.

Got the charge pipe just in case from Terry, but from the top can't see anything.

A 6 pack and N54 hug to the brother who helps out with this issue from around my hood .
Ill throw in some coin also for the help. Running fairly tight right now but I appreciate peoples time more than anything.

Going to be calling you guys soon to coordinate a get together.

How old are you guys btw? Got any kiddos/wifey?

yea that sounds like its the chargepipe, and im 21, no kids, and no wife haha got me a girlfriend tho if that counts lmao
(#23)
Old

Default 06-05-2017, 01:51 PM

I am about to turn 37 on the 23rd of this month lol.

I still feel like I am 21 lol, look alot younger than my age. I don't really care how old I get, just need to stay healthy and happy....and of course keep my testosterone lol. Still like to keep that going strong

Dood just wait until you have kiddos - thats when the grey hairs kick in.

I'm a IT Director in Santa Monica- if your good with Computers/ assisting on phone support let me know. I am hiring two positions.
(#24)
Old

Default 06-05-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I am about to turn 37 on the 23rd of this month lol.

I still feel like I am 21 lol, look alot younger than my age. I don't really care how old I get, just need to stay healthy and happy....and of course keep my testosterone lol. Still like to keep that going strong

Dood just wait until you have kiddos - thats when the grey hairs kick in.

I'm a IT Director in Santa Monica- if your good with Computers/ assisting on phone support let me know. I am hiring two positions.
Hey Dave,

If you have the BT cable with your JB4 you can log a few runs (3rd gear pull from 2k rpms to redline) and throw the logs up in the support section. I'm sure some guys will be able to look into the logs and help with the issues you are having. Be sure to check out the Support section of the forum so you can learn how to properly data log.

Also, in regards to your initial post. Nice run! DS mode will definitely help out some. The stock turbos really start to drop power a lot after 6k rpms, so ideally you should use DS mode to shift somewhere between 5800-6200 rpms. This will help you stay in the stronger parts of the power band. You can set up a shift light indicator on the JB4. Mine is set to 6100

2007 335i - JB4, DCI, VRSF **
2008 535i - 15% tint, Angel eyes, Black Kidney Grills
N54 Tuning
(#25)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM

I'm on Ventura and DeSoto!

2008 535i FBO