N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default N54 oil cooler upgrade - 06-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Hi folks! Wondering what everybody runs for upgraded oil coolers and if I shout put a kit together or just buy a full one. Not sure if the PSP ones are any good? They seem to be at a decent price point unless you guys have any ideas?

2009 335i Msport stock turbos. Mods: jb4/mhd Race flash , bms intake, vrsf charge pipe, Rb pcv valve, AA *****ss *********, muffler delete, Bms meth kit.
Best 1/4 mile is 12.3 @113mph with 93Oct and meth add at 55 on map3 .
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-22-2018, 03:08 PM

The stock oil cooler is very efficient. If you haven't added this I would do it first before spending a couple hundred bucks!

http://www.burgertuning.com/sport_oil_cooler_valve.html

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 06-22-2018, 11:54 PM

I have a psp kit for my 535i with derale 180 t-stat.
(#4)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 06-23-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreimer10
I have a psp kit for my 535i with derale 180 t-stat.
535i comes with a HUGE oil cooler stock. It's also covered in a shroud so the fan can cool it.

The PSP one looks like a much smaller one, it could have a thicker core. But it wasn't designed as well as the stock one to fit in the engine bay. Only thing is it has a 180 degree Tstat.

I could be wrong.

- BMW 535i - Sport - Sport Auto - JB4 G5 ISO - DCI - BMS E85 BackEnd via MHD - 19in M6 Wheels -

- Suzuki GSX-R750 - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Mirror Block-Offs - WoodCraft RearSets - Yoshimura Frame Sliders -
(#5)
Old

Default 06-23-2018, 04:19 PM

I have nothing but a positive experience with going aftermarket for my oil cooler. Despite what everyone warned me about. The stock one and psp should hold the same volume as the psp as it is half the size but twice as thick. I love that my hot ass oil cooler is not slammed right up against my hot ass radiator, and that my fan now blows directly on my radiator. Which is going to be replaced with two mishimoto slim fans when i confirm the wiring.

I am in and out of stop and go trafic frequently and have never logged over 235 temps and that day it was 100 with about 89% humidity.

If for some reason i cannot control the temps i can install a 6" fan and hook it up to switch or controler.

Oil temps range from 203-235 (210ish 3rd gear pull)
Coolant temps are 197-217 depending on hwy or city.

So if anyone wants to buy a complete 535i oil cooler setup, lmk. Lol
(#6)
Old

Default 06-23-2018, 04:45 PM

i would think your temp drop is all due to the 180 t-stat? i dont know. as long as it works for you, that's all that matters. But what if using the 180 t-stat with a stock oil cooler would result in better control of oil temps? That's the question I have. I just bought a lower degree T-stat and i am gonna check the oil temps when it comes in.

and do you have a good oil cooler? a member here is looking for one.

- BMW 535i - Sport - Sport Auto - JB4 G5 ISO - DCI - BMS E85 BackEnd via MHD - 19in M6 Wheels -

- Suzuki GSX-R750 - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Mirror Block-Offs - WoodCraft RearSets - Yoshimura Frame Sliders -
(#7)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 12:39 AM

Could not get the orings to seat properly in the cooler housing and kept leaking. The cooler should be good.

But i beleive fusion aleeady purchased new.
(#8)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 01:56 AM

i bet it wasnt the o-rings, it's the cooler.

when i had the same leak, i could swear it was coming from the seal somehow. Even after i changed to a new o-ring and used silicone, it was still leaking. But looking at the leak there was NO WAY it could come from anywhere else. I am still baffled where the crack is on the cooler.

any way you can take a look at the neck of the cooler and see if you can see a crack?

(#9)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 10:59 AM

My oil cooler was fine. No leaking there.

I am talking about the other o-rings at the other end of the lines that go into the oil thermostat cooler. Instead of replacing the lines and oil cooler housing i decided to delete it. The system is now sealed without o-rings and out performs the stock set up, in my crazy opinion. Lol.