N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M135i
Default M135i EWG - Boost not meeting target, fault codes, logs inside - 06-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Hi all,

Have had a jb4 fitted for a while now but have only recently started paying a bit more attention to it...

My car is EWG, i have the EWG and FF harness fitted and connected. JB4 has the latest firmware loaded.

Mods;
D e c a t
BMS intake
JB4
Forge charge pipe

Fuel;
Tesco momentum 99

Long story short, i have recently had a few fault codes, and my boost appears to be a few psi under target.

Fault codes i have had are;
'102001 Air mass, plausibility - Tuner code, ignore'
'119404 Rail pressure sensor, signal stuck'
'119001 Rail sensor short circuit +'
'13E201 Suspected VANOS fault'

Currently FF / Wastegate adaption has shot up to 114, and average ignition is 3.3. Trims seem to be around 25 is this low?

Have also noticed that FF is 0 on all logs at all times, does this point to an issue with my FF harness/connectors?

i have uploaded some logs here, if someone could take a look and provide some feedback and advice then that would be much appreciated;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i4boe6aim...I-MmHhlka?dl=0

Thanks in advance, Ash.

Last edited by AshWebb; 06-22-2018 at 09:48 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Logs attached.

Map2 22-06-18 1618.csv

Map4 22-06-18 1612.csv

Map5 22-06-18 1622.csv

Map5 22-06-18 1626.csv

Map5 22-06-18 1635.csv
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-22-2018, 06:01 PM

Adjust duty bias to 50 across the board and log again. Could be a short in the system too since you're having those faults and it seems like I don't get any value here for some things.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-23-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Adjust duty bias to 50 across the board and log again. Could be a short in the system too since you're having those faults and it seems like I don't get any value here for some things.
Thanks for the response - will try settings duty bias to 50 and do some more map5 logs.

I also found it strange that i have no values for FF, and Fuel pressure low. Could this point to an issue with the FF wires?

I also expected WGDC to be higher being as the boost is constantly below target by 2-4psi?

How would i go about searching for a short in the system?

Thanks, Ash.
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-23-2018, 09:45 AM

Lets get a log first and if I still see the values missing I'll start digging for you

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Lets get a log first and if I still see the values missing I'll start digging for you
Thank for the help

I have changed all duty bias to 50 as you said, no more fault codes have appeared, WGDC seems more normal, I'm now actually getting FF values on the logs too.

Car feels like it pulls a harder than it did before and feels smoother as well.

Boost seems to hold much closer to target than it did before, but do you think the target seems a bit low considering my mods and settings?

Average ignition has gone up again, and also FF / Wastegate Adaption has shot back up to 125 after setting it back to default.

Also still getting no values for fuel pressure low.

Do you still think there could be issues with the FF wiring now that I'm actually getting FF values on the logs?

Logs attached, what do you think is the next step for further improvements?

Thanks, Ash.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map5 180623_1701.csv (18.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: csv map5 180623_1708.csv (24.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: csv Map5 180623_1711.csv (4.6 KB, 11 views)
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Logs are looking much better to me. FF will learn because we changed the duty bias values, so let it do it's thing. Everything else looks to be perfect and all values are showing. N55 does not have a low pressure sensor, so no value there.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnm135i
Good looking log! Try flat 15psi in map6. You should feel the car pulling much harder to redline.
Thanks for the advice, do you mean 15psi at all rpmís?

Thanks
Ash
(#9)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Logs are looking much better to me. FF will learn because we changed the duty bias values, so let it do it's thing. Everything else looks to be perfect and all values are showing. N55 does not have a low pressure sensor, so no value there.
Thanks, I tried map2 again this morning. All was well until I had a large jolt and loss of power on WOT in I think 5th gear at around 5k rpm. I then had a drivetrain malfunction but the car returned to normal after around 5 seconds or so. Have you experienced this before and what would be the cause?

Also based on the map5 logs do you now think there is no issue with my FF wiring?

Thanks
Ash
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshWebb
Thanks, I tried map2 again this morning. All was well until I had a large jolt and loss of power on WOT in I think 5th gear at around 5k rpm. I then had a drivetrain malfunction but the car returned to normal after around 5 seconds or so. Have you experienced this before and what would be the cause?

Also based on the map5 logs do you now think there is no issue with my FF wiring?

Thanks
Ash
Do you happen to have a log of that run? It would be hard to try and diagnose without actual data, very odd though.

I don't think there's an issue at all, your logs are normal.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Do you happen to have a log of that run? It would be hard to try and diagnose without actual data, very odd though.

I don't think there's an issue at all, your logs are normal.
Unfortunately no log as I was on the way to work. Will go out for a drive one day on map2 and see if I can replicate the problem. But basically car seemed to suddenly and violently lose all power for a short period!

Good to know that the map5 logs look good, Iíll try running map5 over a longer period and see how I get on. Do you think there are any further improvements I could make in the short term?

Also so I can understand better, generally what values should I be looking for when it comes to WGDC and FF on the logs?

Thanks
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-25-2018, 01:17 PM

In general it looks okay, I don't think you need to mess with anything.

WGDC and FF should basically overlap each other. If FF is lower than WGDC you'll be under target for boost and need to raise FF to hit target and vice versa.

Here is a link you can look at for next time.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21269

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
In general it looks okay, I don't think you need to mess with anything.

WGDC and FF should basically overlap each other. If FF is lower than WGDC you'll be under target for boost and need to raise FF to hit target and vice versa.

Here is a link you can look at for next time.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21269
Thanks for the help.

As I said I will change back to map2 and see if I can catch the loss of power in a log and send you the log if I do.

Will take a look at the link. Would you recommend to just leave the jb4 on is current settings and let it learn on map5 rather than adjusting values?

Also I intend on loading the jb4 mhd BEF map, do you think Iíll see a benefit from this?
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-25-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshWebb
Thanks for the help.

As I said I will change back to map2 and see if I can catch the loss of power in a log and send you the log if I do.

Will take a look at the link. Would you recommend to just leave the jb4 on is current settings and let it learn on map5 rather than adjusting values?

Also I intend on loading the jb4 mhd BEF map, do you think Iíll see a benefit from this?
Map 5 is usually what I recommend for people who daily the car. Yes the BEF is a huge improvement and addition to the Jb4.

Burger Motorsports