N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Default My experience working with Rob at RBturbos - 09-13-2017, 04:37 PM

A month ago my 135i with stock turbos went from rattling alot to a stuck open wastegate. (Car would only make 4psi).

After alot of research I chose RB next gen plus turbos. (I had a couple emails and phone calls with Rob to determine what setup best fit my goals. Rob offered me a package deal for multiple items)
I contacted the best reputation Euro/import shop (K&M) near me for an install quote. They told me 15 hrs at $89 an hr. I told them I know the turbos I want and I am ready to order. The shop told me due to issues with customer supplied parts in the past, I needed to tell them what I wanted and they would handle the order. They said they dont mark up the prices, the owner just has a rule that they wont install customer parts . I thought this was odd, but I sent an email to Rob and let him know that K&M would be calling to complete my order. Rob said OK.

The next day I got a call from Rob. He told me that K&M called and tried to beat him down on price. Rob stated that his price is the same for everyone (shop or the diy installer) the quote he gave me is the best he could do. He told me to expect a call from K&M stating they didnt want my business, which I recieved via email later that day.

Overall Rob is the kind of honest vender I look for to do business with.

Last edited by 135iam; 09-14-2017 at 05:30 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 09-13-2017, 05:10 PM

Here is the email I recieved from the shop in Peoria, IL that contradicted everything they told me over the phone. They didnt even have enough class to call me.

Brian,

Unfortunately your vendor has discounted your personal parts request down to basic wholesale levels. He stated that your quoted price (which was not announced to us) did not allow for him to sell it to us (as your shop) at any wholesale discount. Rendering our ability to utilize the shop space for the installation to zero.

Fortunately we have an abundance of cars on the lot currently that are producing both labor & parts revenue streams. Those revenue streams are of the utmost importance as every employee here depends on being able to continue to pay our expenses religiously just as we always try to do. When we have a vehicle in our bays that only supports one side of the revenue stream (in your case the labor side) we are then working well below our minimum capacity.

If this were a mid-winter project perhaps we could have an opening that could be less productive for us, but we would have difficulty doing so as of today.

K&M team
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-13-2017, 05:38 PM

''Best importe shop'' might now be a good BMW shop. Just saying..

For having done this job 3 times I would say just find a shop that already done these a few times and you should be good. and 15hr is way too much. I dropped both turbos in around 3 hours last time
(#4)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 09-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF

For having done this job 3 times I would say just find a shop that already done these a few times and you should be good. and 15hr is way too much. I dropped both turbos in around 3 hours last time
You did 3 times on the same car?

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#5)
Old

Car: 335
Default 09-13-2017, 11:22 PM

I dont see a problem . I ve bought turbos directly from rob and In russiya it costs 200 $ total for all installation .
(#6)
Old

Default 09-14-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF

yeah, I should have said Euro/import/race shop, but regardless I found a recommended a mechanic who is going to do the install as soon as I get all the parts in.
(#7)
Old

Default 09-14-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaw
I dont see a problem . I ve bought turbos directly from rob and In russiya it costs 200 $ total for all installation .
No problem with Rob at all, my only problem is the dishonest shop I was trying to do business with for the install. I appreciated Robs honesty and quick responses
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 09-14-2017, 06:02 AM

Appreciate the kind words and sorry things didn't work out with this specific shop. We can't necessarily blame them as many shops/dealers/etc will push the products of whose sales will put money in their pocket, they have to do what is best for their business. This is very well noted on the forums as you'll find dealers who push those products that only yield profits while undermining the others that do not, very extremely common practice.

As we deal direct most often we tend to give the consumers fair discounts for packages and/or for utilizing payment methods that do not incur us merchanting fees, meaning if afterward we are approached about further discounts the ability just isn't there.

Glad you were able to find another shop feel free to shoot us an email if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#9)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54QC
You did 3 times on the same car?
Made the mistake of buying Hexons...