N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 BETA for E70/E71 2010-2013 S63 X5M & X6M - 08-07-2016, 01:36 PM

**** 6/17/17 Update: We've decided due to higher than expected support requirements and low sales volume no longer to offer the S63 JB4 system. We will continue to offer the BMS Stage1 for the S63, it requires the N63/S63 Harness A model. For those who want to DIY an S63 JB4 kit you are welcome to do that just realize no BMS support will be provided. The required hardware and BCM are the same as the N63 JB4 TypeA and the S63 firmware is at the bottom of this post.

Hey guys,

A local customer dropped off a 2013 X6M for us to play with. These are equipped with the S63 twin turbo V8 motor, which makes a lot less power than the latest 2015+ S63tu X5M/X6M/M5/M6 motor.

We currently offer the Stage1 system for the S63 which adds a static 3-4psi across the board with no user adjustment or logging. While it wakes the car up there is plenty more power left on the table with a more advanced JB4 tune running the wastegates directly, CANbus, etc. After some digging it appears the DME is an MSD85 and it uses the standard E series KOMBI (dash) module, so everything is setup up for a nice JB4 system with full in dash controls, map switching, in dash boost gauge, etc.

Quote:
The system is relatively complex to install so check the N63 JB4 install information before ordering. You'll need to disassemble a DME connector to attach 4 plug and play wires, etc. At this point we'd ask only people who are installing themselves order. The documentation is not really adequate for a shops inexperienced in installing this type of a system to handle. And frankly supporting training shops on how to install the system is more of a headache than we're willing to put up with for this small volume product.

VBOX testing:

1/4 mile 12.0@118.9mph, 3.7s 0-60mph on the E30 map.

Map Guide:

Map 0: JB4 Fully Disabled
Map 1: Additive map targeting around 4psi over stock. BCM optional.
Map 2: Absolute target map targeting 15psi peak. BCM required.
Map 3: Absolute target E30 map targeting 19psi peak. BCM required.
Map 4: Stock tuning with CANbus active for logging and gauges
Map 5: Under development
Map 6: User adjustable map. Values below 10psi make the map an additive map while values over 10psi make the map an absolute target map.
Map 7: Progressive methanol map under development.

Name:  20160807_131730.jpg
Views: 3634
Size:  340.1 KB

After a few days of hard work I have the guys of the system working. Installation is very similar to the N63 in that you connect to the TMAP sensors using the Stage1 harness, then plug in extra wires for CANbus, fuel control, and the BCM. The fuel control, BCM, and CANbus wires connect inside the DME box. See the N63 JB4 installation video for basic directions on how that looks.

The tricky part on the X70 is reaching the DME and getting its cover off. You remove the panel and HVAC filter, pop out this piece, and then the DME cover takes a bit of patience to unlock.

Name:  vent.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  161.5 KB

Inside the DME area the MSD85 looks just like the N63 DME. You pop off the connectors and pop in the JB4 wires using OEM contacts joining 2 pairs for fuel control and 2 pairs for the boost control. Finally CANbus connects using removable posi-taps.

If upgrading from a Stage1 kit then you'll first need to insert the new wires in to the Stage1 harness. Note that is the same as the N63 Stage1->JB4 document referenced below.

Install directions for s63 JB4:

1) Install the TMAP connectors and control box per the s63 Stage1 installation guide: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...e1_install.pdf
2) The S63 does not use OBDII CANbus and instead connects directly to the CANbus in the DME area using removable posi-taps. Using the included posi-taps attach the green/brown CANbus wires to the blue/red wire pair inside the DME box as shown.
3) The DME specific fuel and BCM wires attach to the DME just like the N63 system referenced here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...92&postcount=3

Name:  dme.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  207.6 KB

After connection the JB4 box is placed as shown.

Name:  placement.jpg
Views: 3522
Size:  158.7 KB

Finally pop back on the factory covers. I left the BMS DATA cable sticking out for quick access. But the system is also fully compatible with JB4 Mobile for iPhone or Android use.

Name:  engine_bay.jpg
Views: 3526
Size:  196.3 KB

The system has full E series wheel contorls including map switching, in dash gauges for boost, timing, AFR, etc, adjustable shift light, etc. We suggest turning on boost on fuel, setting menu 2 to 1. Menu3 is the user adjustable shift light.

Attached Files
File Type: hex JB4_S63_X5M_X6M_4.hex (76.1 KB, 69 views)

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 08' 535i
Default 08-08-2016, 04:21 PM

#1, I'm interested Terry. I'll spread the word. I like to thank Terry for taking the time and moving forward on the s63 platform. I look forward to n54tech and his support.

08' 535i sport auto, jb4/mdh/xhp
10' x5m 11.72 1/4 record jb4 only
00' hayabusa turbo street bike
440 rwhp 1/8 5.42 141mph
07 SS trailblazer tuned/flex fuel

Last edited by turboalb; 08-09-2016 at 12:43 PM..
(#3)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 08-08-2016, 06:19 PM

If it was available when I had the X5M, I'd have bought it in a second. Problem now is, the prices have dropped so much on them that ordinary (non-BMW type) shlubs are buying them. Who knows if they can afford another grand for a JB4?

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM

The owner of this one told flash maps are available but priced around $2000+ or more. Hopefully we find a demand for the S63 JB4 as I've already wasted a few days on development.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Was able to do a few VBOX runs on our private track tonight.

Test car is a 2013 X6M running 93 octane and apparently ***.

Stock:

Name:  stock_60.jpg
Views: 3087
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  stock_qtr.jpg
Views: 3095
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  stock_log.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  45.3 KB

Running an early version of JB4 Map1 which is an additive style map. Around 4psi over stock on average.

Name:  tuned_60.jpg
Views: 3071
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  tuned_qtr.jpg
Views: 3057
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  jb4_log.jpg
Views: 3058
Size:  48.7 KB

Burger Motorsports

(#6)
Old

Car: BMW F10 M5
Default 08-09-2016, 02:52 AM

Great work... every JB4 in the market makes for more JB4 development

JB4. BCM. BMS Inlets & Filters in Modified OEM Airboxes. FSB Controller. BMS Charge *****. Aquamist Twin Tanks. Twin CM5 Nozzles. 50/50 Water/Methanol Mix. Agency Power Ti Full Exhaust System on OEM **'s
(#7)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 04:41 AM

Terry let me know if you need a test x5m, east coast .I have 2 1/4 mile tracks close by and have a couple of stock runs already.also other daily drivers besides the x5m.

Al

440 rwhp 1/8 5.42 141mph
(#8)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 08-09-2016, 04:56 AM

Those numbers are almost identical to what mine was running with the Stage 1. Crank up the boost and put on *** and it'll drop to about 3.6 to 60 and 11.8-11.9 in the quarter.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#9)
Old

Car: 2010 X5M - Alpine White on Sakhir Orange
Default 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM

I've been bugging you for this for months, so naturally I'm in!!!! We recently added a new vehicle to the family, an 08 535xiT, which the GF is tired of being walked by my X5M. Having NEVER been a car person until owning her first BMW, she is fully onboard for modding, so I've already got your DCI, oil catch can and JB4 sitting in My Cart...make both our day!

I already bought an Aquamist HFS-4 kit for the X5M since it's claimed to be the most advanced system out there to run on vehicles without appropriate tuning, but ultimately I'd love to be able to run JB4, BCM and integrate your meth controller to run my kit so I'm not spraying meth blindly.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 08-09-2016 at 11:01 AM..
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2016, 10:02 AM

On the X5M have a photo of the dash? For meth you'd use an FSB and the JB4 can control it. On the hardware use what you'd like but likely our kit is the best way to go there.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 10:21 AM

What do you mean photo of the dash? It should be exactly the same as the X6M you've got at your shop.

I wanted to buy your suite of stuff as a meth controller, but I've already got a stage 2 flash tune created by Halim, which I'm assuming means it'd be going backwards to run a stage 1 piggyback just for the sake of controlling meth. I don't know how all your devices need to speak to each other, if one is needed to make the other work, etc but I assumed no matter what I'd need to start with your stage 1 for tuning, then add your meth controller, then add JB4, then last but not least the BCM. Up to this point the JB4 and BCM haven't been available to the E7* X vehicles, so I've settled for my stage 2 flash tune. If I'm correct in my assumption that I can flash back to stock, run your stage 1, JB4 and BCM, which will allow me to run circles around any stage 2 tune out there, then I'm absolutely in...meth control is just an added bonus.

Seeing what numbers the M5/6 is getting, granted it's always going to have a higher output, but it'd be nice if the E7* could finally start doing everything you're already doing for the M5/6.

Last edited by m5james; 08-09-2016 at 10:30 AM..
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2016, 10:26 AM

I know it should be. I wanted to verify it was.

On the tune you can keep the flash in place and the JB4 will just work on top of that. In terms of performance gains that would depend on what the flash does and how much is left within the factory parts being used. I have not seen any S63 flashed datalogs. So first order of business once a JB4 is on will be some datalogs.

The good news is the in dash controls and logging will be better than the s63tu JB4.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 10:43 AM

At this point I'm running Halim's stage 2 flash tune with coding to disable the CEL for *** less down *****. Just so I'm clear at what I need to buy and/or how all these things go together.

- I can leave on the flash tune, then install your JB4 and BCM, send logs and see where it takes us?
- In order to run your meth controller, I need to install your stage 1 piggyback, but do I need to flash back to stock or can your stage 1 piggyback and my stage 2 flash work together?

I haven't installed the HFS-4 yet, so I'd like to know if I should resell it or keep it in an attempt to do everything efficiently while still getting the most benefit since the JB4 can now officially be used..if you get enough interest.

Last edited by m5james; 08-09-2016 at 10:54 AM..
(#14)
Old

Car: 2011 135i
Default 08-09-2016, 10:46 AM

I'm very interested. I would ideally like to use this to get a little more boost and timing on top of my tune with meth if I could. I have a '13 x5m and have had the jb4 on my 335 and the wife's 135 for a couple years now and love them. I know you have to get your margins, but the tunes on the x5m have come down recently. I think they are about 1k at AAtuning and a few other places, with sales prices being lower. I had mine done for less.
(#15)
Old

Car: e92 335i Coupe
Default 08-09-2016, 10:54 AM

Alright... I'm in

JB+RB=
(#16)
Old

Car: e92 335i Coupe
Default 08-09-2016, 10:55 AM

Love seeing that boost holding to redline! Should make for some awesome ass hauling

JB+RB=
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james
At this point I'm running Halim's stage 2 flash tune with coding to disable the CEL for *** less down *****. Just so I'm clear at what I need to buy and/or how all these things go together.

- I can leave on the flash tune, then install your JB4 and BCM, send logs and see where it takes us?
- In order to run your meth controller, I need to install your stage 1 piggyback, but do I need to flash back to stock or can your stage 1 piggyback and my stage 2 flash work together?

I haven't installed the HFS-4 yet, so I'd like to know if I should resell it or keep it in an attempt to do everything efficiently while still getting the most benefit since the JB4 can now officially be used..if you get enough interest.
The system is setup like the N63. There is the JB4 system with CANbus and fuel control wires, that is $799. Then the BCM is a $150 add on.

If you already have a flash map then I'd start with just the JB4 system and evaluate it. You probably also don't need to install the fuel wires as presumably the flash already has been scaled up on fueling. We'll be able to tell from the initial logs, though.

For the JB4 to control meth you need an FSB system which can connect to any pump/solenoid out there. In the case of your AM kit it would replace the AM controller. Alternatively you could install all the AM stuff and as long as it has a flow sensor just route a 0-5v flow reading in to the JB4. Installing those AM controllers is a huge pita though so have fun with that. The FSB is much easier to install.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36bmer
I'm very interested. I would ideally like to use this to get a little more boost and timing on top of my tune with meth if I could. I have a '13 x5m and have had the jb4 on my 335 and the wife's 135 for a couple years now and love them. I know you have to get your margins, but the tunes on the x5m have come down recently. I think they are about 1k at AAtuning and a few other places, with sales prices being lower. I had mine done for less.
Makes sense. No reason a flash tune should be more than $500 given how easy they are to load on the platform.

The JB4 itself will be $799. Once someone with a flash tune installs one we can evaluate the tuning potential left.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 11:11 AM

For sake of ease of installation, I'd rather be all or nothing, so I'd rather sell the HFS-4 setup and do the full BMS suite since it's getting great results for the M5. Since you've mentioned the JB4 is the same as the N63, I didn't know the N63 could run JB4, so are you saying the JB4 is ready to go now for the S63 or do you still need your 20 interested people before you produce more?
(#20)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Makes sense. No reason a flash tune should be more than $500 given how easy they are to load on the platform.

The JB4 itself will be $799. Once someone with a flash tune installs one we can evaluate the tuning potential left.
Flash tunes are still $800-$2500 depending on seller, which is funny since it's been discussed that all those tunes are nothing more than a $250 BR base tune that's then tweaked a little more by each reseller, marked up and relabeled as "our _______ custom tune is the best in the industry". Yes, flashing with the provided cable takes about 10 min. I remember that part of the thing about using a piggyback is it clears CEL lights of ALL codes vs a tune can shutoff specific items like down *****. Is that still the case?

I'm flash tuned so I'm all for buying one once it's ready.

Last edited by m5james; 08-09-2016 at 11:33 AM..
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2016, 11:30 AM

The JB4 clears passive faults if enabled but real faults continue to show a light in dash.

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james
For sake of ease of installation, I'd rather be all or nothing, so I'd rather sell the HFS-4 setup and do the full BMS suite since it's getting great results for the M5. Since you've mentioned the JB4 is the same as the N63, I didn't know the N63 could run JB4, so are you saying the JB4 is ready to go now for the S63 or do you still need your 20 interested people before you produce more?
It's not ready for sale yet for the S63 but I've done most of the "work" of it. Now I just need to wrap up the software, get some base maps well tested, and then we can open up BETA.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
The JB4 clears passive faults if enabled but real faults continue to show a light in dash.
At the moment I get a code for boost plausibility, which doesn't kick a light and I'm told is simply a sensor I need to replace. The down ***** do kick a CEL though, so I'm guessing that's what you'd consider a real code and the light would remain on if I'd flashed back to stock while using the JB4.
(#24)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It's not ready for sale yet for the S63 but I've done most of the "work" of it. Now I just need to wrap up the software, get some base maps well tested, and then we can open up BETA.
JB4 is mostly just a logging device and doesn't add any power by itself, correct? If I can use the JB4, that means I can also use the BCM or am I getting ahead of myself?
(#25)
Old

Default 08-09-2016, 12:30 PM

Jb4 is absolutely for power, everything else it does are the bells and whistles

440 rwhp 1/8 5.42 141mph