N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#2101)
Old

Car: INFINITI Q60 RED SPORT
Default 01-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubber9
Did you try a back to back run with and without the JB1? Ambient Temps effect how much boost the ECU calls for. The colder it is the less boost. That would be a true apples to apples comparison. Also, the JB1 does not take over until water temps are above 160.
Car warmed up 30 min today. Drove last night about 40 min in traffic before installing. Temps 20 degrees warmer. Same exact 4.43 times.

Anyone else do time comparisons?
(#2102)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t Luxe AWD
Default 01-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It's a closed group on FB. You would need to request to join to gain access.
John Ecutek tuned my Q40 a few years ago. He’s a great tuner.
You just have to have a thick skin to work with him or else he can be offending.
If he is doing your tune you really have to follow his direction.

I think he’s just doing this for business advantage.

Recently, before I returned my Q40 lease to get the Q50, that was Dec.8,2017,
I could not flash my car back to stock. It was Friday at 8pm and I had to return my lease Saturday AM. I had not contacted John Visconti in freakin 3 years.

I called his business number and left a voicemail. I was desperate and I went to his FB account and messaged him. He responded and walked me through the troubleshooting. I had to redownload a backtostockfile from him, since the one I have might be corrupted. That was 8:30pm on Friday night!

I know he can be a dickhead most of the time... , but he did save my ass that night..
(#2103)
Old

Car: Q50 RS400
Default 01-20-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8
I know he can be a dickhead most of the time... , but he did save my ass that night..
Did you get your Q50 tuned by him?
(#2104)
Old

Default 01-20-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfeen
Did you get your Q50 tuned by him?

He charges more than Sebastian at specialtyz. But I decided to go for JB4 simce I can resell it after the lease. I already had an ecutek cable, but sold it.
(#2105)
Old

Car: Q50 RS400
Default 01-20-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:

He charges more than Sebastian at specialtyz. But I decided to go for JB4 simce I can resell it after the lease. I already had an ecutek cable, but sold it.
gotcha
(#2106)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPG
Hi all. First post and unfortunately it's not a good one. I have a 2017 Q60 redstport for 4 months and had the dragy GPS for 1 month now. I got JB1 yesterday and did feel the torque improvement. Of course i did a few runs and never went as fast as stock 0-60. My avg 0-60 on stock was 4.3 consistently. My fastest stock was 4.29. Now I'm consistently 4.43-4.49 consistently never even getting a single 4.3 all same slope and track. All of my 14 runs 0-60 had a tenth second slower than stock.

All things considered i'm running identical fuel w/ quarter tank BP 93 octane. Launches were done in sport mode w/ VDC brake torque till about 2k from the dig. I thought i had some heat soak as a result of all my runs last night, but sure enough same times today after letting the car rest in 34 degree weather for over 9 hours. Can someone please let me know what times they are getting compared to stock? Anyone else w/ dragy on a stock redsport w JB1? Thanks for any help.
0-60 is not a great way to evaluate performance since it's heavily traction dependent. Try some 1/4 mile runs on map0 (JB1 disabled) and map1 to compare. Also, you may need more octane if the fuel quality isn't up to spec. Mixing in some octane booster or E85 does wonders.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2107)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
There is some shade being thrown at the JB on the Facebook group hosted by John Visconti (Ecutek tunner). Apparently some guy with a JB1 had a cracked block at 2100 miles. The reassuring thing is there are a couple Infiniti techs on the group who have confirmed the issue to be with manufacturing and not tunning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekpogi
Of course he's capitalizing on any potential mishap from a competitor, maybe serious or just poking fun or somewhere in between. I'm not saying he's wrong but i just don't like his style. If i were to go with flash tune, i'll rather spend a little more and go with AMS.
That guy is a known troll and one of the least liked tuners out there. We'll remove any screen shots he posts from this forum as we don't want to give him any free advertising. Personally I wouldn't believe a thing he writes. And if you want a flash tune have SpecialtyZ do it, they do much better work.

Regarding Q50 engine damage at higher power levels, first I've ever heard of it. Could be a factory defect on the engine itself. But the JB4 gives you the tuning tools to evaluate your tuning. And the ability to dial in your performance/risk tolerance. If you see ignition advance going down while RPM is going up, or are running excessive boost levels on lower grade fuels, anything is possible. At least with the JB4 you can just remove it. Once flashed, there is no going back.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2108)
Old

Default 01-20-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Is that data log attached on Map 6 ? (+7 psi max)

This looks like a 3rd gear pull since the boost 14+ is pretty consistent. ???

Seems like you were hitting some 18-19 psi already (AFR low 13’s) . I’ll be happy with this setup. Not sure if the E85 will lean out a bit.

How do you setup your Map 6?

Here is my current Map 6. I haven't done any data log yet.

BTW, I believe you can only go up to +8 psi on JB4.
Here’s just a 3rd gear pull on the hwy trying to merge. I didn’t go triple digit
, just hit 90 mph. (I’m using Map 6 setting above) temp was 49F.
I’m happy that I’m now hitting 16-17 PSI max. I’m just wondering if the ECU will ask for higher boost when tempt goes up around 70-80F?

It’s true, the ECU gives more base boost on warmer temp.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-01-20 15_34_49 (Awgd8).csv (8.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: csv 2018-01-20 15_34_26 (Awgd8).csv (9.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Awgd8; 01-20-2018 at 04:06 PM..
(#2109)
Old

Default 01-20-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
0-60 is not a great way to evaluate performance since it's heavily traction dependent. Try some 1/4 mile runs on map0 (JB1 disabled) and map1 to compare. Also, you may need more octane if the fuel quality isn't up to spec. Mixing in some octane booster or E85 does wonders.
Unfortunately my only failed attempt to 1/4 mile run my car last night was thwarted and i didn't get a decent time. My car is AWD and brake torque launch on straight flat slope yields minimal slip. After i posted my original response I launched using Sport + and managed a valid 4.22, but my 0-10 and 0-20 was slower w/ JB1 than my fastest 4.29 on stock. Perhaps i need to work on my launch to break 4.1 or less. Any suggestions? Also I don't have a BMS cable so i don't think i can go map 0 without unplugging the entire unit.
(#2110)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2018, 04:09 PM

That works too, unplugging just takes a minute. But if times don't improve we may let you borrow a jb4 that has more advanced logging so we can see why.

You need to brake boost heavily for good times. Hold brake as hard as you can and build as much boost as possible before letting go and starting the run.

Burger Motorsports

(#2111)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 Redsport AWD Sedan
Default 01-20-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
In lower gears you also have a shorter time for boost to build up. So sometimes you just won't get up to target. Other times the DME limits boost for traction or other purposes.
What does DME stand for again?

I've been driving with the JB1 installed for a few days and am pleased. It's been really cold and the roads aren't fully clear so there's not be a chance to really play with it.

I'm waiting for a mid 40's day this week with perhaps some dry pavement to see how it is overall. I don't tend to jump off red lights or dig race on the open road. I bought it for a nice bump in torque in the midrange RPM's while in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear. I know on the highway she opens up nicely but there too, I've not really had her balls-out.

More later.
(#2112)
Old

Car: 2018 q50 red sport
Default 01-20-2018, 06:57 PM

I have an 18 rs awd and from the line I brake boost hard to launch, so the other day I found out about pulling the plug in the trunk and it becomes rwd omg!!! if u know how to launch right with just alittle slip omg !! completely noticeable!! I was a factory driver for team lotus and raced circuit for years so I can tell the difference but I will run it against a friend soon both ways to confirm .....
(#2113)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2018, 07:30 PM

DME is German version of ECU.

Burger Motorsports

(#2114)
Old

Car: Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
Default 01-20-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Hi all. First post and unfortunately it's not a good one. I have a 2017 Q60 redstport for 4 months and had the dragy GPS for 1 month now. I got JB1 yesterday and did feel the torque improvement. Of course i did a few runs and never went as fast as stock 0-60. My avg 0-60 on stock was 4.3 consistently. My fastest stock was 4.29. Now I'm consistently 4.43-4.49 consistently never even getting a single 4.3 all same slope and track. All of my 14 runs 0-60 had a tenth second slower than stock.

All things considered i'm running identical fuel w/ quarter tank BP 93 octane. Launches were done in sport mode w/ VDC brake torque till about 2k from the dig. I thought i had some heat soak as a result of all my runs last night, but sure enough same times today after letting the car rest in 34 degree weather for over 9 hours. Can someone please let me know what times they are getting compared to stock? Anyone else w/ dragy on a stock redsport w JB1? Thanks for any help.
Damn sry to hear man. It is strange tho. When I was stock on my Q60RS AWD I used my friends Vbox to measure my 0-60 times and I was getting 4.4-4.6. My best time being 4.42. Then I got the JB1 and my times were 4.0-4.2 with my best time being 4.08. My set up on the JB1 was +4 with DWP set at 30. I could tell the huge difference right way with torque. I am right now running at +4.5 and I think this is where I will stop. The car runs great and pulls like a beast with no issues. I have not been able to run a 0-60 on the +4.5 setting since I dont have my own personal Vbox to measure. My suggestion is you have to do some trial runs with Gasoline in the area. One of my first posts I mentioned that my car did not like shell 93, nor BP 93. It was sluggish and did not perform well (could tell right away). Exxon 93 was ok but my car loves mobile 93. Huge difference!!! I always get it from same location. When pushing up the PSI especially these small turbos I believe its all about the octane and how they take it. I thought all gasoline were all going to be the same but Trust me they are not at all. I am currently in the north east and I recommend everyone with Jb1,Jb4 to use mobile 93. Just a thought as why your performance could be skewed.

When doing 0-60 I was launching between 2200RMP-2500RMP in these runs above.
(#2115)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default 01-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Just took the car out for an errand and gave it some throttle. The temp is about 60 today and the car didn't spin much (TC on) Car didn't feel quite as fast as a 20 day when it spins with the traction control on.

2016 Q50 Red Sport
BMS JB4 Map 1
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#2116)
Old

Car: Q50
Default 01-21-2018, 04:17 PM

@Terry

I know the intakes haven't been released yet. But, from the testing, is the turbo spool pretty audible in cabin on the VR motors with your intakes ? I ventured off into the N55 section and noticed how the turbo's come to life with your intakes.

I'm looking at a set of AEM intakes but I'm being patient with your release.

17' Q50 RS
(#2117)
Old

Default 01-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
That works too, unplugging just takes a minute. But if times don't improve we may let you borrow a jb4 that has more advanced logging so we can see why.

You need to brake boost heavily for good times. Hold brake as hard as you can and build as much boost as possible before letting go and starting the run.
Did 6 more runs within my last post and out of 6 only 4 were valid. Out of the 4 2 were 4 seconds 0-60 (4.42 & 4.44) 1 was a 4.22 and one was a 4.17. Im still exactly at stock on the average. Either the drag decided to be inconsistent or JB1 is just changing the power band without adding anything. Terry i appreciate the support, but I just want to know what numbers i should be expecting here. Maybe 0-60 isn't a good measure, but it's all i have and all i really want to improve. Maybe dragy is not consistent?
(#2118)
Old

Default 01-21-2018, 06:11 PM

Out of 20 runs from 0-60 half of them were all 4.4 seconds. The rest were marginally better with the best at 4.17 seconds.
(#2119)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Silver Sport
Default Question about JB4 with Bluetooth Module on Q50 - 01-21-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

Attachment 63143

Order Link: http://burgertuning.com/infiniti_q50...nce_tuner.html

Software needed only if changing from default +3psi boost setting: Latest Interface Download.

Map Guide:

Map0: Stage1 disabled
Map1: Default performance map, 3psi over stock
Map3: Custom Target Map, select desired maximum boost over stock under "Boost Safety" user adjustment setting
All other maps and settings are unused

A BMS data cable is required to change maps and/or adjust map3 boost levels. Data logging is limited to boost pressure only.

Hey guys,

Was finally able to track down the connectors we need to play around with the new Infiniti tuning, and I have to say, the platform is pretty impressive. It might be the new 335.

The first product we're working on for the car is a simple Stage1 tune. The idea behind the Stage1 is an inexpensive and easy to install/remove product that provides substantial gains with minimal headaches and trade offs. The Stage1 manipulates the ECU boost control signals allowing us to modify boost levels, but does not manipulate the ECU manifold boost reference, allowing it to properly map timing and fueling for the higher boost levels. The end result is something that runs as smoothly as stock only with higher boost targets under heavy throttle.

The Stage1 is not intended to provide the same maximum power gains you might get with a full custom ECU tune. Although based on today's dyno testing, the initial results for the Stage1 are still quite impressive. We envision a quick installation product that can be used with the factory tuning and even with aftermarket flash tuning for those looking raise boost a little in conjunction with higher octane via E85 or race gas.

For these tests we used a 30% E85 mixture, mixing in 5 gallons of E85 to a full tank of 91. Next round we will test 93 octane. With the stock tuning we were able to make ~320whp. We then used the Stage1 tune to test progressively higher boost levels, adding 4psi, 5psi, 6psi, and ultimately 7psi over stock. To my surprise each increase in boost resulted in a fairly steady increase in power, indicating plenty of tuning room within the platform.

Red Sport Dyno Results: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=82

Silver Sport Pump Gas Dyno Results: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=83

Silver Sport E85 Dyno Results:

Attachment 63144

Attachment 63145

How to connect and change map/boost level:

Generic JB4 interface video/directions posted here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...021#post197021

Quick directions:
1) Turn car on
2) In JB4 interface select your com port. A list of active com ports will be displayed to the right.
3) Select connect
4) Once connected select map3 in drop down on logging page
5) Enter desired boost target on user adjustment page under boost safety and press save. Valid range is 0-8psi.

Stage 1 Firmware update (do not attempt to load on a JB4!):

Q50_STAGE1_2: Added option to adjust pedal to boost mapping using "Default Wastegate Position". Default value is 30, which represents 3.0psi. Below 3.0psi boost mapping is factory, above 3.0psi boost mapping is altered. Higher values may provide smoother but less powerful performance. When looking at your Stage1 logs DME BT represents the boost over stock. As you lower DWP you will hit your "over stock" boost target more quickly in the power band which may feel abrupt. If you raise it you'll hit your "over stock" boost target further up the power band which may feel smoother. If you raise it too high you'll never hit your full "over stock" boost target. During development we found 30 to be the best compromise set point and thus it's the default. It is now adjustable on map3. Probably best to avoid going below 10 or above 50.

For those who prefer a wireless solution for changing boost settings our JB4 Mobile bluetooth kit is also compatible. Note, it will only be able to datalog boost and change map/boost level.

Hey Terry,

I just bought the JB4 and Bluetooth module for my Q50. I was surprised that they didn't ship with any instructions, like the previous ones for my BMWs did. The BMS website has instructions for the JB1, and I couldn't find anything there for the JB4 and/or Bluetooth module. There is a lot of info in this forum, and I've read through about 40 pages, but I'd really like clear and concise instructions on what I need to do to get my system up and running at +5psi. I am really confused as to whether I need to run a cable through the firewall or whether the Bluetooth module provides the same functions.

Thanks in advance for your help - I've always loved your products.
(#2120)
Old

Car: Q50 Red Sport
Default 01-21-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q50SS_booster
Hey Terry,

I just bought the JB4 and Bluetooth module for my Q50. I was surprised that they didn't ship with any instructions, like the previous ones for my BMWs did. The BMS website has instructions for the JB1, and I couldn't find anything there for the JB4 and/or Bluetooth module. There is a lot of info in this forum, and I've read through about 40 pages, but I'd really like clear and concise instructions on what I need to do to get my system up and running at +5psi. I am really confused as to whether I need to run a cable through the firewall or whether the Bluetooth module provides the same functions.

Thanks in advance for your help - I've always loved your products.
There's a link to the JB4 install guide in the second post in this thread. The list of maps is on the last page of the guide.
(#2121)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 Redsport AWD Sedan
Default 01-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFitty
Just took the car out for an errand and gave it some throttle. The temp is about 60 today and the car didn't spin much (TC on) Car didn't feel quite as fast as a 20 day when it spins with the traction control on.
20* roads vs 60* roads. The difference is huge. Our first track day last year was 48* with the sun out and no one had good 60ft times. Even my Audi was pulling 1.9-2.0 60fts well off what she could do.

Last edited by pdqgp; 01-22-2018 at 06:31 AM..
(#2122)
Old

Car: q60
Default 01-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Out of 20 runs from 0-60 half of them were all 4.4 seconds. The rest were marginally better with the best at 4.17 seconds.
4.17 is definitely better than stock. With a jb4 set at 4psi on a red sport in also getting about the same.

Terry i am also curious if there is a nice sound increase with the intakes and I'd there is an ETA? And will you have dynos with the intakes once they are done? To show gains?
(#2123)
Old

Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50S Red Sport
Default New to BMS Stage 1 with JB1 - 01-22-2018, 06:58 AM

I own a 2016 Q50S Red Sport AWD. I just received my BMS Stage 1 with JB1. I followed the simple instructions, plugged it in and went for a test drive. It was 30 degrees outside (cold) and the car was warm after 15 minutes driving before installation. I understand it comes preset at Map 1 with + 3 psi.

Once I started driving, the car did not feel right. It was jerky everytime I tried accelerating hard. It would do a big hiccup before coming on and revving hard. Always jerking at first around 2000 rpm then would pull hard all the way to 7000 rpm. It was so rough, I worried for the transmission and took it off. I'm not a tuner, so not sure what to do next. I'm bummed as I was really excited to see this make a difference,

I only run Sunoco 93 which runs great stock. Other mods are K&N slip in filters to stock air boxes and Infiniti sport exhaust straight pipe. I work in Towson, MD, live across MD line in New Freedom, PA. Any ideas or suggestions?
(#2124)
Old

Default 01-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPMX58
I own a 2016 Q50S Red Sport AWD. I just received my BMS Stage 1 with JB1. I followed the simple instructions, plugged it in and went for a test drive. It was 30 degrees outside (cold) and the car was warm after 15 minutes driving before installation. I understand it comes preset at Map 1 with + 3 psi.

Once I started driving, the car did not feel right. It was jerky everytime I tried accelerating hard. It would do a big hiccup before coming on and revving hard. Always jerking at first around 2000 rpm then would pull hard all the way to 7000 rpm. It was so rough, I worried for the transmission and took it off. I'm not a tuner, so not sure what to do next. I'm bummed as I was really excited to see this make a difference,

I only run Sunoco 93 which runs great stock. Other mods are K&N slip in filters to stock air boxes and Infiniti sport exhaust straight pipe. I work in Towson, MD, live across MD line in New Freedom, PA. Any ideas or suggestions?
This might totally unrelated, but this happened to me on my Luxe AWD on JB4.
Mine was hesitating , seems like the tranny is confused which gear to use.
This happened after I put a key user in the car system. I even set the car settings to my original guest user. So I finally deleted the key user I created and just defaulted to none and turned off that option. Everything went back to normal.
(#2125)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 01-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPMX58

In this forum we have heard of similar issues - nearly all of them from the pins in the harness needing to be (re)aligned and the harness reinstalled.