Demigod

Car: 335I
Default 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM

Review this...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700831

Quote:
Originally Posted by borikangel
I'm doing the install. That's what I'm asking for
It was spammed a long time ago with pages of infomercial type stuff, when cleaned up the page allocation was the same. One of those things you see from time to time on forums, just have to accept it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsportzn135i
Why is it, i cant go past PG144 on this thread!
Or is there only 144pgs?

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#3602)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Ok cool, that makes sense!

fuel injection is cool, but i'd rather be blown!
537.75HP 540.63TQ
(#3603)
Old
Puerto Rico

Car: BMW 135i 2009
Default 07-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Hi Rob,

I received the wastegate today. i'm posting here the pictures. Have the same actuator rod, it's 6mm so I will need to change it for the old one 8mm, and the same braket. Then adjust it. Btw, How I will adjust it? Measure the lenght for old one and apply to the new one? Or which method?

Regards,
Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
I don't recall if I've ever ordered the 747 unit... Post up a pic when you get if. They will need adjusted when you install it.
Attached Images

JB4 modded, DCI, AR DP, AA Intercooler, AA ChargePipe w/BOV, AfE Axelback, Custom Midpipe, Meth Kit, Custom Map.
(#3604)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Refer to my prior post

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#3605)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Another picture

Do you think this wastegate will work?
Attached Images

JB4 modded, DCI, AR DP, AA Intercooler, AA ChargePipe w/BOV, AfE Axelback, Custom Midpipe, Meth Kit, Custom Map.
(#3606)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-12-2013, 05:13 PM

ok, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Refer to my prior post

(#3607)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-12-2013, 06:52 PM

No problem. Thank you for the pic of that unit. Has me wondering if I have been ordering the incorrect one all of this time for the rear units (I always just order 2 fronts as they literally look the same). I really do not see the difference in them, I am guessing the rod length is just a little longer or shorter (which wouldn't matter for me as we are re-orientating the wastegate levers either way). Still curious though, can you measure the length of that actuator rod from where it comes out the actuator body to the tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borikangel
ok, thanks a lot!

(#3608)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Sure, here are the pics. The white box is the new one and the brown box is the old one.

Quote:
No problem. Thank you for the pic of that unit. Has me wondering if I have been ordering the incorrect one all of this time for the rear units (I always just order 2 fronts as they literally look the same). I really do not see the difference in them, I am guessing the rod length is just a little longer or shorter (which wouldn't matter for me as we are re-orientating the wastegate levers either way). Still curious though, can you measure the length of that actuator rod from where it comes out the actuator body to the tip?
Attached Images

(#3609)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-12-2013, 10:51 PM

Take a look to the actuator rod the measures are the same.

(#3610)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-12-2013, 11:42 PM

Rob,

Nice post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo:
Using a vacuum hand pump is the ideal cost affective approach. ********* should be off so you can feel the flapper itself go to zero lash against the valve seat when applying vacuum, but you maybe able to accomplish it "close enough" by feeling the lack of "lash" in the wastegate lever itself. That is your call to make.

Essentially you vacuum pump the wastegate actuator to approx. 5.5in/Hg as you feel the play decrease to nearly nothing between the flapper and the housing seat. Once you get to 6in/Hg, there should be no lash and there should be some "resistance" in rotating the flapper as it sits on the seat of the turbine housing. Doing the test several times after adjustment helps get the feel of it and also confirm your results of adjustment. I try to aim for no play and some resistance in turning the flapper around 5.8-5.9in/Hg, and start to feel a little play to no play around 5.6-5.7in/Hg. By 5.5in/Hg the play should be fairly evident. You want to adjust both turbos using the same method. This procedure is something I semi reverse engineered from the BMW TIS, and from bench testing many sets of turbo take offs. If you can find anything better, or seemingly more accurate, let me know because from what I have seen there's not much out there.

About Wastegate Rattle.
First off, every component in these Internal Wastegates wear out. They are JUNK after some mileage.

1) The Flapper is where I believe alot of the more renouned rattle takes place, as it can resonate against the turbine housing seat when its lightly seated or also as it spins while open from the exhaust gas pulses. The clearances in the flapper to the wastegate arm seem to always be VERY worn out, when manually spinning on axis by hand you can hear it rattle as it rotates/flops around.
2) The wastegate arm and internal bushing. These too become very sloppy over time. I believe they can cause some rattle as well, but I dont believe it's as noted as the flapper above. The bushing and arm DO wear significantly though and usually end up binding, which can cause the wastegate arm travel to degrade and perform poorly. It also can cause the flapper to not close all the way which can lead to more rattle. The excess clearances in this area due to wear require further adjustment to the actuator rod. This is why the dealers try to usually adjust the actuators (or replace/adjust them) initially. That is to shorten the rod, making up for the slop in the worn bushing, and allowing the flapper to seat under the defined amount of vacuum. This will buy some time, but certainly does not fix the problem.
3) The Actuator Rod End to Wastegate Lever Pin. This is the part you believe is causing the rattle in your car. I am sure it does contribute to some rattling, but certainly is not all of it. If this is what you are trying to counter, for now, I'd recommend a low load disc spring washer. I haven't tried them myself yet, but I have found a couple sizes I believe would work perfectly to remedy this area of the rattling.
4) All components. Even new there are clearances in these components. Some rattle (a very tiny amount) is somewhat normal. But its when things begin to wear, it becomes intolerable, and they are very prone to wearing all throughout.

(#3611)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-12-2013, 11:42 PM

I will try tomorrow going to Sears and buying the pump. I let you know. Thx a lot!

(#3612)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-12-2013, 11:50 PM

Here is where I will connect the pump with actuator in the manifold and turbo?
Attached Images

(#3613)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Here are some pictures.

The first pictures is partially close between 5 in.Hg - 5.4 in.Hg. So I set it between 5.5 in.Hg - 6 in.Hg
Attached Images

(#3614)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Looks like you got it figured out. Good deal. And thanks for the pics of that actuator, it appears the rod is simply about 1/8" longer than the front unit actuator. No big deal.

Rob

(#3615)
Old

Car: '08 Xi
Default 07-19-2013, 07:03 PM

very interesting stuff here. i havent read through this thread since i installed my RB's last summer...Can someone tell me where to search on ECSTuning for the replacement wastegates and are they interchangeable with our RB's?
..all im seeing on ECSTuning.com are these-->http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...ate/ES1832381/

[IMG][/IMG]
2008 XI, RB's, ECS 3"chargepipe Synapse BOV, CPE Kitty-less DP's, Hks SS Exhaust, Dual Cone Intake, G5 Iso, VW Meth kit, H&R sports + Bilstien, 19's!, M3 Rep-front, LED Halos,M6 shiftknob, 500HP bound!!
(#3616)
Old

Default 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM

their on pg#3 i see them now..i might be suffering from wastegate failure aswell i have been troubleshooting all week..anywho happy boosting to all !

[IMG][/IMG]
2008 XI, RB's, ECS 3"chargepipe Synapse BOV, CPE Kitty-less DP's, Hks SS Exhaust, Dual Cone Intake, G5 Iso, VW Meth kit, H&R sports + Bilstien, 19's!, M3 Rep-front, LED Halos,M6 shiftknob, 500HP bound!!
(#3617)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM

RBs come with new OEM actuators. You do not need different actuators. If you are getting rattle chances are you have an issue with the vacuum lines, canister, or some other vacuum system component. The actuator adjustment could be off somehow as well, but less likely.

(#3618)
Old

Default 07-19-2013, 09:28 PM

^^ i hear ya Rob believe me im not complaining i love your lil creations !. and im not worried about rattle im just trying to figure where the dreaded 30ff is coming from.

[IMG][/IMG]
(#3619)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 07-19-2013, 10:32 PM

I just wanna let everyone on here know, i have ordered and paid for my RB turbos, and now its just the big wait till i ger them! One of these days, South Africa is going to have another 135 sleeper...

fuel injection is cool, but i'd rather be blown!
537.75HP 540.63TQ
(#3620)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Rob,

I measure the wastegate of a spare of oem turbo I got and read more than 7in.Hg. Do you know why?

Thanks a lot!!!

Regards,
Angel

Quote:
Looks like you got it figured out. Good deal. And thanks for the pics of that actuator, it appears the rod is simply about 1/8" longer than the front unit actuator. No big deal.

Rob

(#3621)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Most likely wear... Could be other things like gauge inaccuracy/etc. But wear is very common issue on these things, hence is why we have to replace all of those components which is a very costly procedure.

(#3622)
Old
Puerto Rico

Default 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM

So the way I used to calibrate the wastegaste is correct and suppose to don't have any issue with the new one in my 135i. The spare i got is a old one i bought from a 2007 335i for later to mod it. BTW gauge is new one that i just bought to calibrate the wastegate.

Quote:
Most likely wear... Could be other things like gauge inaccuracy/etc. But wear is very common issue on these things, hence is why we have to replace all of those components which is a very costly procedure.