N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default Crank hub info - 08-31-2017, 08:12 AM

If anyone is interested. We broke down all the part numbers for the crank hubs, and associated parts by part numbers. Basically everything is shared across all the platforms (N54, N55, S55) except the N54 uses its own hub, and bolt.

We are working on a new hub solution to compliment out crank bolt capture currently. We will test them on our own cars before we release anything. If they hold for us, they will hold for anyone.

Hopefully these part numbers help people who have had issues, or who just want to replace before they do.
Attached Images

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 08-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Sweet!

But quick question, if the N55 shares every part with the s55, how come n55's have such a low to non-existent failure rate, I mean I tried to Google it and nothing popped up.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now

2016 Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS: white, PDK, carbon ceramic brakes, Fully loaded
Mods: Fabspeed race headers, competition exhaust, High flow fiters, Ecu flash race gas and pump tune, roll cage, schroth harness, clear bra.

2017 Audi R8 V10 plus- dynamite red, fully loaded
Mods: Currently stock (hopefully a super charger and full exhaust soon)
(#3)
Old

Default 08-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Thas's an easy one. How many 600whp+ N55's are out there? Very few, we approached 600whp, and it spun immediately. Now how many 600WHP S55's are our there? Asking how many S55's under 600WHP, might be an easier question. The S55's power potential brought the issue to light much quicker than the S55. The N54 hub, and bolt are better design than than the S55, thas's why the N54 can take higher power levels before issues become prevalent.

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-31-2017, 01:11 PM

Can't believe the E series N55's are spinning now too. What is the difference between the N54 and later hubs? Are they keyed?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 08-31-2017, 01:16 PM

Its not keyed, well yours well be.. But normally they are not keyed. They are better because they use a shorter bolt, with MUCH more tq applied to it, and the Hub is counter drilled so the bolt goes halfway into the hub making the distance between the head of the bolt, and crank shorter. Short bolt, more tq, les distance = better design. Why they changed it not sure...

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 08-31-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech
Its not keyed, well yours well be.. But normally they are not keyed. They are better because they use a shorter bolt, with MUCH more tq applied to it, and the Hub is counter drilled so the bolt goes halfway into the hub making the distance between the head of the bolt, and crank shorter. Short bolt, more tq, les distance = better design. Why they changed it not sure...
I see, hmm good stuff man! I'll have to buy one then lol!

You provide the hardware and torque specs though right?

(Also we use blue loctite?)

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now

2016 Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS: white, PDK, carbon ceramic brakes, Fully loaded
Mods: Fabspeed race headers, competition exhaust, High flow fiters, Ecu flash race gas and pump tune, roll cage, schroth harness, clear bra.

2017 Audi R8 V10 plus- dynamite red, fully loaded
Mods: Currently stock (hopefully a super charger and full exhaust soon)
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i coupe
Default 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM

Would love to see some pics of Terry's keyed crank if possible. Wish our cranks came keyed in the first place.

07 335i AT/CUSTOM 6870 GEN2 ST/VAC ENGINE AND STAGE 3 HEAD/FABFACTORY INTAKE W/PI/1000HP AD FMIC/JB4 G5/FUEL IT STAGE 3 LPFP/HKS BOV/OKADA COILS N GROUND/DUAL OIL COOLERS/RB EXTERNAL PCV/TRANY COOLER/FITCH FUEL CATALYST/M3 FRONT N REAR SUSPENSION W/ROUGE BEARINGS/HOTCHKIS ADJUSTABLE END LINKS/ADUSTABLE REAR TOE ARMS AND CAMBER LINKS/EIBACH SWAYBARS/BC RACING BR COILOVERS AND CAMBER PLATES/AKG REAR SUBFRAME, DIFF, REAR SHOCK BUSHINGS/POWER FLEX BUSHINGS/WAVETRAC REAR DIFF WITH DEFIV BRACE
(#8)
Old

Car: e92 2007 335i
Default 08-31-2017, 02:24 PM

When will you guys have the n54 crank captures in stock?

JP workz ST 6266 Gen 1
(#9)
Old

Default 08-31-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichale
Would love to see some pics of Terry's keyed crank if possible. Wish our cranks came keyed in the first place.
Terry's and my two motors are getting one off solutions from the machine shop since they have our cranks out anyways. We will be offering a bolt in hub that is different from the other solutions currently out there.

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#10)
Old

Default 08-31-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky335i
When will you guys have the n54 crank captures in stock?
Back in stock soon. I am going to reopen them for pre-order. Then people can still order, and we can just ship as soon as they show up.

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-31-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Its not keyed, well yours well be..
Sweet!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old

Car: BMW E92 N54
Default 09-05-2017, 05:19 AM

Interesting...

BMW 335i '08 E92 N54, JB4 G5 IOS, BMS DCI, VRSF ***, BMS-Tial BOV Kit with Chargepipe, VRSF FMIC, BMS Meth Kit, JB4 MHD BEF, BMS PCV valve, BMS OCC. TCU Alpina_B3 Flash, .
(#13)
Old

Car: BMW m4
Default 09-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Thas's an easy one. How many 600whp+ N55's are out there? Very few, we approached 600whp, and it spun immediately. Now how many 600WHP S55's are our there? Asking how many S55's under 600WHP, might be an easier question. The S55's power potential brought the issue to light much quicker than the S55. The N54 hub, and bolt are better design than than the S55, thas's why the N54 can take higher power levels before issues become prevalent.
Weird because alot of s55's spun crank hubs at factory power levels (~400whp range) and even FBO (~500whp range) and yet an N55 FBO (~400whp range) or PS2 N55 (~500whp range) has yet to have many if any at all issues that I've heard about (yes I Googled it but all that came up was S55 issues). Plus the 600whp+ BB and speedtech cars to my knowledge haven't spun. So I don't know how that's possible if the N55 and s55 share the same hub. (No hate or bashing or anything, I'm just asking questions as this hub issue is new to me).

Tony do you have any images of the n55 so we can see if it's keyed? Also what happened to your n55 after it sounds did it take the motor out?

Cheers!
(#14)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-14-2017, 03:25 AM

Its not just power, its also RPM that will increase the likelyhood of the S55 spinning. Sucks to hear N55s will suffer the same. Look forward to the solution.

2011 N55 135I, Pure Stage 2, Pure Inlet, JB4 + BEF, Fuel-it port injection & stage 2 LPFP, Big Tom Fmic, AR Catted **, ER CP, Mfactory stage 3+SMFW, KW V1, Apex EC-7
(#15)
Old

Default 09-14-2017, 05:29 AM

The N55, and S55 use the same part number for hub, bolt, etc, etc. I have them sitting on my desk right now. They are identical. No keys

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com