N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default Precision Raceworks N54 Ignition System Installed! - 06-09-2017, 03:41 PM

One of the first cars with this product installed.

All I have to say is AWESOME. Well I have to say more but lol...

Got my kit wednesday, installed it Thursday night. It took about 1 hour to install. The most timing consuming task is removing the pins from the OEM connectors. Take your time and do the wiring right. The brown and orange can look the same. I may have screwed one up haha. All good now!

I installed NGK 97506 plugs at the time, gapped at .024"

Initial thoughts:
- Idle is smooth as a Toyota
- Responsiveness slightly better
- Absolutely no problems getting to redline at 30psi
- I was getting a slight misfire at the top of 3rd gear when I'd log and run that gear out, car would shake and you know the deal. Well that's gone. It was definitely a coil cause I'm running the same plugs again
- Everything fits under the stock engine cover (mine was a pain cause I have the wiring going that way for the cowl delete)

Kit was only been installed for 12 hours but SO FAR SO GOOD! lol

Tips for install
- MAKE SURE you push the plug wire firmly down onto the plug
- The 3/8" wire loom is inside the 1/2" loom
- Use a push pin to remove the terminals if you don't have the correct de-pinning tool. It's not a push type like the DME pins, its got two tabs on each side make sure you have both tabs pushed in then yank it from behind.
- DOUBLE check all wiring, white to white, orange to orange and brown to brown.
- Take your time with the wiring, make it look nice!

I will review more this weekend and add to this post, just wanted to get this going. I will include logs as well.

Item can be found here: http://www.precisionraceworks.com/in...&product_id=82

Here are some pics of my install, Enjoy!

335- stock
(#2)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 06-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Thanks for posting the review, glad it's working for you! Pure turbos at 30psi must be doing some work
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 06-09-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bait
Thanks for posting the review, glad it's working for you! Pure turbos at 30psi must be doing some work
Was just reading a post from v8bait on bimmerboost about outlet gains. Haha is that you?

I was wondering how much my outlets really do .

335- stock
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Hopefully it performs as well as it looks
(#5)
Old

Default 06-10-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky92
Was just reading a post from v8bait on bimmerboost about outlet gains. Haha is that you?

I was wondering how much my outlets really do .
That's me, lol. Glad it was useful!
(#6)
Old

Car: 535ix
Default 06-10-2017, 06:43 AM

Looking forward to your next review. If they prove to be more reliable and higher performance it sounds like a win-win.
(#7)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Sorry, what's the need for this?

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#8)
Old

Default 06-10-2017, 04:53 PM

On modified vehicles our coils are iffy. For that matter even on stock cars.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2010 535i m sport wagon
Default 06-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Very nice setup!!
(#10)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 135i
Default 06-10-2017, 08:47 PM

I installed mine today.
I found the smaller 3/8" loom when I couldn't get wire into the 1/2" loom because it was full.
Definitely watch his video on how to disassemble the factory coil plug.
I haven't eaten my zebra cakes yet.
I got to go on a short test drive, but my oil was < 160deg, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to fully test it.
Hoping it finally solves my flaky high RPM misfires under boost >19psi.
New coils and plugs would help for a short time and then it would come back.

2009 BMW 135i | Alpinweiß | 6AT | MHD/BMS JB4 G5 ISO32.8 | JB4 MHD 3/15/17 E85 Backend Flash | BMS Anti-Lag | Fuel-It Stage 2/ES-1/JB4 integration Kit | AD Engineering Port Injection | PR (Turbo-side) Inlets | PR Ignition System | VRSF ** | aFe Exhaust | Cobb FMIC | ER CP | Tial BOV | N20 TMAP | BMS Oil Cooler Valve | JB4 Mobile | 100% E85 | H&R Swaybars F&R | BA Diff Lock | StopTech D&S Rotors F&R | Cool Carbon Pads | Michelin PSS

(#11)
Old

Default 06-10-2017, 09:59 PM

You would think for the price of this kit the cheap phucker could have included piggy back connectors instead of having to repin the stock ones. I hate how cheap this kit looks. I still dont see the point of it either
(#12)
Old

Car: 2008 335 xi
Default 06-11-2017, 06:46 AM

Does anybody know what "DME Flash through MHD provides additional performance" actually does ?
(#13)
Old

Default 06-11-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical
You would think for the price of this kit the cheap phucker could have included piggy back connectors instead of having to repin the stock ones. I hate how cheap this kit looks. I still dont see the point of it either
Really don't get it. $500 for coils? Never had a problem with my ignition system. Unless someone can explain to me what this actually does to improve function then its getting filed under bull**** marketing scams.

N54 | Build Thread
(#14)
Old

Default 06-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Sorry I don't post here all that much anymore but I'll shotgun things I can answer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical
Those connectors don't exist without thousands of dollars to develop one. 3D printed ones don't hold up to heat well. Reversing the pins in a sister connector to males takes up space when depin and Repin only takes a few seconds, but is feasible if demand is there. I was mostly involved in coil design but talked with Robert extensively on this part, and it's ongoing. I wasn't a fan of the blue either but it's growing on me lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker1964
Does anybody know what "DME Flash through MHD provides additional performance" actually does ?
It flashes a coil dwell table specific for the coils and fixes other currently unavailable tables to better utilize these new ones. They run fine on factory tables with significant gains due to the coil design but with increased dwell will have even more energy available as they saturate much higher. Martial has the tables we're just waiting for him to release it, if you would like a jb4 backend modified send me or PR an email with the backend you are using and we'll make the changes, it's not secret, if you have a custom tune have your tuner hit us up. They include changes to tables not publicly released yet in the public xdf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Really don't get it. $500 for coils? Never had a problem with my ignition system. Unless someone can explain to me what this actually does to improve function then its getting filed under bull**** marketing scams.
In a nut shell, factory coils produce about 2/3 the voltage of these and less than half the spark energy. Check my other threads if you want scope data from the BMW coils vs things like the GM LS truck etc, BMW doesn't even compare. At high boost everyone runs gaps smaller than most tools can measure and can still misfire if everything isn't perfect. The higher the boost, the bigger the issue. They also tend to only last a few years (high power guys replace them annually). These simply give you a hotter spark (more energy, longer duration, very helpful for e85 which is hard to fire especially on cold starts), higher voltage spark so you can open the gap, and their design is based on coils known for reliability. Not for everyone but definitely no scam, I'll stake my reputation across platforms on that one 100%.

Enjoy your Sunday folks.
(#15)
Old

Car: 2008 335 xi
Default 06-11-2017, 07:50 AM

Thanks v8bate. Well done.
(#16)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 06-11-2017, 08:03 AM

So no more replacing coils ever?

I've seen a few people comment on the price, but this would pay for itself if you planned on keeping your N54 for an extended period of time.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Build Thread HERE
(#17)
Old

Default 06-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000
So no more replacing coils ever?

I've seen a few people comment on the price, but this would pay for itself if you planned on keeping your N54 for an extended period of time.
Exactly. There is a reason why so many different platforms make the switch to GM coils. They hardly ever go out, and outperform OEM.
(#18)
Old

Car: 08 335Ci
Default 06-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Before and after logs?

No matter how fast I go there's always someone slower in front of me.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him Jet Ski.

'08 E92 335, M sport option, JB4 G5 ISO, 3" charge pipe, meth injection w/dual cm5 nozzles. Stock intake and exhaust. ECS front strut brace
(#19)
Old

Default 06-13-2017, 11:56 PM

Someone asked about the coil design and it disappeared, we talked about it before but these are based on the mercury marine coil for certain reasons (spindle size, package, internal design) which is popular as it can be modified easily. MSD 8232, AEM, megasquirt have all made variations as it's a very robust design. You can easily make it for CDI or TCI application. So that's what we did, we specified the parameters and had the coil produced. Ultimately, many dumb coils can be driven by the DME. We tested a coupe different versions with different primary resistance, secondary wrap ratio etc to come up with the final specs.
(#20)
Old

Default 06-14-2017, 03:46 AM

Thanks v8bait. Perfect answer.

N54 | Build Thread
(#21)
Old

Default 06-14-2017, 05:34 AM

We just purchased one for one of our 335i's. Shipping was very fast. My son plans to put it on in the next day or two. It is a very solid looking unit.
(#22)
Old

Car: e30
Default 06-15-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bait
Someone asked about the coil design and it disappeared, we talked about it before but these are based on the mercury marine coil for certain reasons (spindle size, package, internal design) which is popular as it can be modified easily. MSD 8232, AEM, megasquirt have all made variations as it's a very robust design. You can easily make it for CDI or TCI application. So that's what we did, we specified the parameters and had the coil produced. Ultimately, many dumb coils can be driven by the DME. We tested a coupe different versions with different primary resistance, secondary wrap ratio etc to come up with the final specs.
That was me! I thought I read through twice, and missed that information.

Perhaps this is information you're not willing to divulge but, I am highly considering the purchase of the simple ign-1 coils off DIYautotune because they work on a very wide spectrum of builds. Being that you folks have tested a few different units, what was your experience?
I'm not going for huge power, but i like the idea of ditching stock coils.
(#23)
Old

Default 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the imitator
That was me! I thought I read through twice, and missed that information.

Perhaps this is information you're not willing to divulge but, I am highly considering the purchase of the simple ign-1 coils off DIYautotune because they work on a very wide spectrum of builds. Being that you folks have tested a few different units, what was your experience?
I'm not going for huge power, but i like the idea of ditching stock coils.
PR will have higher secondary voltage potential due to more wraps, the ign-1 is similar to the MSD or AEM depending on the version you buy. PR is planning on competing with them all directly since we biased ours towards boosted applications revving a little higher than muscle cars etc. They should work though, you'll have to set the dwell and everything else. Hit up Robert if you'd like loose ones for a DIY project I'm sure he can match the price.
(#24)
Old

Car: e30
Default 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM

Awesome answer with the "more wraps" that's specific enough for me.
(#25)
Old

Default 06-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the imitator
Awesome answer with the "more wraps" that's specific enough for me.
Lol they use like 73:1, we went a little higher in testing ;-)

Fwiw you can even mix and match as long as they are similar, but dwell is set globally so some may get charged a little short or a little long. Not a huge deal.