N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
brainsurgery brainsurgery is online now
Junior Member
 
Posts: 163
Join Date: Feb 2014
Car: BMW E91 LCI 335xi
Default JB4 BEF + xHP experiences - 04-17-2017, 02:39 AM

I guess drivers here have already experience of xHP TCU flash. Would you mind to share some?

I'm mostly interested how xHP works together with OEM turbo flashes. I'm running E85 flash 18-20psi boost targets. Of course all experiences are welcome.

My main concern is the tweaked reported torque and if it needs to be changed in BEF. Also if you guys have run into some other problems that needs to be fixed in BEF.

If my car wasn't family's daily driver I would have put xHP in already


335i LCI xDrive AT, JB4, ***, Stage1 LPFP, MHD E85 flash.
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
bradsm87 bradsm87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 346
Join Date: May 2014
Car: E90 LCI 335i
Default 04-17-2017, 04:36 AM

Now that we have TCU flashing, maybe it's time for two different BMS BEFs. An M-Boost one and a non-M-Boost one. Having an option to report N20 TMAP scaling to the DME would be great too. It'd be good to have a DME boost target of around 21psi on an M-Boost N20 TMAP BEF.
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
EuroDouche EuroDouche is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 39
Join Date: Feb 2016
Car: 08' 135i
Default 04-17-2017, 06:06 PM

I am running the xhp stage 3 flash on my 135i, e85 bef like you. The car is always in M mode so I can't speak for how it improves D and DS but it sounds like most of the improvements over alpina are in those modes. None the less slightly firmer shifts in M mode and interaction with gear changes are a bit more seamless. The 1-2 2-1 shifts are still terrible and seem unchanged from
alpina and stock tcu flashes, hopefully that gets revisited in future revisions.

So far I haven't noticed any odd interactions stemming from having a BEF and tcu flash.
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
08_335i 08_335i is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 297
Join Date: Dec 2015
Car: 2008 335i
Default 04-18-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDouche
I am running the xhp stage 3 flash on my 135i, e85 bef like you. The car is always in M mode so I can't speak for how it improves D and DS but it sounds like most of the improvements over alpina are in those modes. None the less slightly firmer shifts in M mode and interaction with gear changes are a bit more seamless. The 1-2 2-1 shifts are still terrible and seem unchanged from
alpina and stock tcu flashes, hopefully that gets revisited in future revisions.

So far I haven't noticed any odd interactions stemming from having a BEF and tcu flash.
Driving around in M mode is pointless with the new D mode revisions. Unless you're about to put the beat down on somebody, not even worth it anymore. I used to use only M mode myself, but after having Xhp change the D mode shift points, you can now comfortably drive around in D mode on stage 3. Also, 2-1 shift will always suck in M mode, idk how you can expect that to be "better" unless you put an astronomical amount of slip in the gear change. In D mode, it work great as it hits 2--1 at 2kmh and you don't even feel it.
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
torn08 torn08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 126
Join Date: Jun 2015
Car: 08 e93 335i
Default 04-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Did you flash with jb4 on map 0 or remove it?


08 e93 335i - JB4 w/Trebila tune, alpina trans flash, bms dci, vrsf cp, tial bov, vrsf **, vrsf 7 fmic, bms occ, fuel it stage 2, N20 TMAP, vtt inlets, st coilovers
Running E50ish
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!'s Avatar
Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It! is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 16,255
Join Date: Oct 2012
Car: 135i
Default 04-19-2017, 12:01 AM

We are testing the xHP flash. So far so good. Still don't care for D mode as it shifts to 6th by 40mph.

So far we've run up to about 600whp and 550wtq, so far so good.

Here's an acceleration video from 1st gear with boost limited to 15psi in 1st, 22psi in 2nd, and running 24psi on map 6.

As you can see there are some hesitations but no real slips yet. We've maxed out the S2 bucketless at these power levels on E80 so we'll add the secondary pump module and crank it up some more.




Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
msport335 msport335 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 31
Join Date: Nov 2013
Car: E90 LCI
Default 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Can you post datazap logs? wonder if your experiencing the same issues i am with stage 3 flash
________________________________________
please take a look at this 3-4 shift log

running wedge 94 octane tune FBO+ timing corrections are most likely due to the winter gas still.

this is on XHP STAGE 3 v1.1 ....... the shift felt quick but seemed to have hung up as the torque came back on which delayed the shift.

is there anything that can be done to correct this?

if there wasn't a shift delay at 4839rpm, this would have been a quick, firm and clean shift into 4th.

Ken has been notified of the Torque limit active 1 which came on midway through 3rd gear.

http://www.***********/u/msport335/lo...=0&data=0-3-22
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
BMW135xi's Avatar
BMW135xi BMW135xi is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 164
Join Date: Jul 2016
Car: BMW 135I
Default 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Sh&*&8 600Hp , that is good enough for me with pure stage#2 (N54)
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
m0ses m0ses is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2017
Car: 335xi
Default 08-31-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torn08
Did you flash with jb4 on map 0 or remove it?
I'm wondering the same thing.. who's got the intel?
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
xQx xQx is online now
Junior Member
 
Posts: 70
Join Date: Dec 2016
Car: 2008 BMW 135i E88 N54 6AT
Default 08-31-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torn08
Did you flash with jb4 on map 0 or remove it?
I flashed with the JB4 on map 0.

(Actually, the newest firmware automatically sets the JB4 to map 0 when you plug into the ODBII port, so I just flashed by plugging in and flashing).

I've found xHP works fine with all maps and BEF's on my 135i. I still think the 'M' mode downshift throttle blips are far too aggressive going down into 3rd and 2nd, but overall it's a huge improvement over stock.

D and S modes are very nice, but I rarely use them - after years of using 'M' mode, I can't stand the idea of the car shifting on its own.
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
m0ses m0ses is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2017
Car: 335xi
Default 08-31-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx
I flashed with the JB4 on map 0.

(Actually, the newest firmware automatically sets the JB4 to map 0 when you plug into the ODBII port, so I just flashed by plugging in and flashing).

I've found xHP works fine with all maps and BEF's on my 135i. I still think the 'M' mode downshift throttle blips are far too aggressive going down into 3rd and 2nd, but overall it's a huge improvement over stock.

D and S modes are very nice, but I rarely use them - after years of using 'M' mode, I can't stand the idea of the car shifting on its own.
In terms of actual performance and benefits with the addition of the xHP, how much is the xHP really worth it. Im most likely getting it either way for all the benefits of the stage 3. But I want to know from your perspective, have you noticed significant quarter mile times or anything? Maybe even just on digs or highway pulls?
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
xQx xQx is online now
Junior Member
 
Posts: 70
Join Date: Dec 2016
Car: 2008 BMW 135i E88 N54 6AT
Default 08-31-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ses
In terms of actual performance and benefits with the addition of the xHP, how much is the xHP really worth it. Im most likely getting it either way for all the benefits of the stage 3. But I want to know from your perspective, have you noticed significant quarter mile times or anything? Maybe even just on digs or highway pulls?
It depends a bit if you're coming from Alpina, or coming from stock. If you're coming from Alpina you're essentially getting 80% of what xHP offers, so spending $200 to get the additional 20% is a more difficult decision.

But coming from stock (which I did) - it's night and day. It's one of the best modifications you'll make to your car.

I haven't done many meaningful quarter-mile runs, and generally speaking my limitation under 100kph is rear-wheel grip. The upshifts are faster, so I'm sure that'd be reflected in quarter-mile timing - but I don't know how much it would actually effect overall times.

However, in general driving, it changes the transmission from 'just another slushbox' to far more like driving a DCT car. As well as reducing the actual time it takes for the transmission to change gears, the flash more than halves the time between you hitting the paddle and the auto-trans shifting gears. This means it's much easier to time your up****s/downshifts at critical moments in spirited driving (ie. if you need to downshift halfway into a corner, you now can with confidence that it's actually going to happen before you hit the apex) and I find I'm no longer second-guessing the gearbox (I remember I always used to hit the paddle then be thinking "did that register?, should I hit it again?" ... and if I did hit it again, suddenly the damn thing will shift up/down 2 gears for me.

There's a big difference between drivers where your preference for shiftpoints in "D" and "S" mode are, and I suspect they're all the same in the maps regardless if your're running a stock 335i, or a FBO 135i. So this is always going to be an area of compromise. But I find both driving modes very smooth and I never feel like the car is in the wrong gear or unnecessarily downshifting or up-shifting. As I said, I rarely use these modes though, because after so many years of training myself to use the paddles, I now can't leave them alone.

Overall, I'd say xHP is pretty expensive, but worth every penny.
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
m0ses m0ses is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2017
Car: 335xi
Default 08-31-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx
It depends a bit if you're coming from Alpina, or coming from stock. If you're coming from Alpina you're essentially getting 80% of what xHP offers, so spending $200 to get the additional 20% is a more difficult decision.

But coming from stock (which I did) - it's night and day. It's one of the best modifications you'll make to your car.

I haven't done many meaningful quarter-mile runs, and generally speaking my limitation under 100kph is rear-wheel grip. The upshifts are faster, so I'm sure that'd be reflected in quarter-mile timing - but I don't know how much it would actually effect overall times.

However, in general driving, it changes the transmission from 'just another slushbox' to far more like driving a DCT car. As well as reducing the actual time it takes for the transmission to change gears, the flash more than halves the time between you hitting the paddle and the auto-trans shifting gears. This means it's much easier to time your up****s/downshifts at critical moments in spirited driving (ie. if you need to downshift halfway into a corner, you now can with confidence that it's actually going to happen before you hit the apex) and I find I'm no longer second-guessing the gearbox (I remember I always used to hit the paddle then be thinking "did that register?, should I hit it again?" ... and if I did hit it again, suddenly the damn thing will shift up/down 2 gears for me.

There's a big difference between drivers where your preference for shiftpoints in "D" and "S" mode are, and I suspect they're all the same in the maps regardless if your're running a stock 335i, or a FBO 135i. So this is always going to be an area of compromise. But I find both driving modes very smooth and I never feel like the car is in the wrong gear or unnecessarily downshifting or up-shifting. As I said, I rarely use these modes though, because after so many years of training myself to use the paddles, I now can't leave them alone.

Overall, I'd say xHP is pretty expensive, but worth every penny.
Alright sounds good brotha. Thanks for the input, appreciate it! I'm gonna go for it!
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
Stuntz's Avatar
Stuntz Stuntz is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 31
Join Date: Aug 2016
Car: 135i 2009
Default 09-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Having the alpina flash already, I am very curious if anyone has gone from alpina to xHP and seen true Time and MPH differences in the quarter.


'09 135i
JB4 with MHD back-end flash, Fuel-It Stage 2 Bucket-less Fuel Pump, BMS DCI, BMW Performance Exhaust, Eibach Springs, M&H Drag radials, e85

1.69 60'
7.51 @ 94
11.71 @ 115
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
joeinsd joeinsd is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 54
Join Date: Nov 2015
Car: 2010 e92 335i msport
Default 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torn08
Did you flash with jb4 on map 0 or remove it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ses
I'm wondering the same thing.. who's got the intel?
I got lazy and chanced it flashing with JB4 on map 0 instead of removing and it worked. However, most suggest complete removal prior to flashing.
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
CedarPerformance CedarPerformance is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 79
Join Date: Aug 2017
Car: All of 'em
Default 09-08-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinsd
I got lazy and chanced it flashing with JB4 on map 0 instead of removing and it worked. However, most suggest complete removal prior to flashing.
For the sake of not giving anyone expensive paperweights, let's just say it has to be fully removed to flash tune. At least while on Burger's forums.

There's a lot of different configurations out there - better safe than sorry. Some of these guys are following advice very literally which can be dangerous.
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
joeinsd joeinsd is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 54
Join Date: Nov 2015
Car: 2010 e92 335i msport
Default 09-08-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarPerformance
For the sake of not giving anyone expensive paperweights, let's just say it has to be fully removed to flash tune. At least while on Burger's forums.

There's a lot of different configurations out there - better safe than sorry. Some of these guys are following advice very literally which can be dangerous.
Lol. Yeah, I know. Hence the reason for the last part of my response.
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
sirfredi's Avatar
sirfredi sirfredi is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 74
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default 09-11-2017, 07:43 AM

A question.

What to reinstall the stock flash? because I have BEF and the vehicle does not detect me
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
Tuppidsay Tuppidsay is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Join Date: Sep 2013
Car: 2008 535i
Default 09-11-2017, 02:52 PM

I had issues flashing with the jb4 in map 0. So I just unplugged the big connector on the jb4 and flashed. All good


2008 BMW 535i SPORT SAT - VVT GC LITE - INS&OUTS - JB4 - RACE BEF - DCI - VRSF EXHAUST - BMS METH DUAL CM7 50/50 - BIG TOM IC - RACEPORT BOV - 3.5 TMAP - BMS CATCH CAN - VTT PCV - MUFFLER DELETE
Reply With Quote
(#20)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 21,735
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 09-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinsd
I got lazy and chanced it flashing with JB4 on map 0 instead of removing and it worked. However, most suggest complete removal prior to flashing.
If you have to remove the JB4 to do any flashing you're doing something wrong. We along with hundreds of others load flash maps regularly with JB4 on map0.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#21)
Old
mhigham mhigham is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: Mar 2017
Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 09-11-2017, 06:20 PM

JB4 map 5, MHD BEF, and xHp stage 2 with up to maybe E20; stock N54 with 44,000 miles. The car is so responsive and driveable down low, but just rages once you put your foot down. 17psi all the time, every time. The trans flash was really the cherry on top and even in drive it's always in the gear I want. WOT 1-2 is a kick in the pants compared to the stock cal.
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
sirfredi's Avatar
sirfredi sirfredi is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 74
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default 09-11-2017, 11:19 PM

Please.
Can you flash with xhp if you have a mhd flash? Or we must return to stock flash before?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
(#23)
Old
xQx xQx is online now
Junior Member
 
Posts: 70
Join Date: Dec 2016
Car: 2008 BMW 135i E88 N54 6AT
Default 09-11-2017, 11:48 PM

QUOTE=sirfredi;558374]Please.
Can you flash with xhp if you have a mhd flash? Or we must return to stock flash before?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, there's no need to return to a stock flash.

They're two totally different flashes, MHD does the ECU, xHP does the TCU.
Reply With Quote
(#24)
Old
sirfredi's Avatar
sirfredi sirfredi is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 74
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default 09-12-2017, 12:46 AM

but not work for me.....

see the picture



all is ok, mhd flasher work fine, but not xhp.... any idea?
Reply With Quote
(#25)
Old
mhigham mhigham is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: Mar 2017
Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 09-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfredi
but not work for me.....

see the picture



all is ok, mhd flasher work fine, but not xhp.... any idea?
Do you have JB4? Go to map 0 and try again.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2017, N54tech.com