Apex EC7
KWv3 (not installed)
Devils own Meth kit (not installed)
(#27)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 10-18-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Nice write up and build, a lot of good info in this thread.

For the record, that is our new ethanol analyzer and it has both bluetooth and JB4 integration capabilities. If you choose, you can also download our bluetooth app for your iPhone (or Android) and use that to monitor your ethanol content as well.
Thanks Steve. Appreciate the great customer service and quick shipping as always. The dedicated app is very nice as well -- love all the Bluetooth technology that we're seeing lately on this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistawall
idk why man but no pictures show up for me
Seems to be working fine for me. I had some problems with Picasa/Google messing up some of my albums a few months back, but have since migrated all my photos over to IMGUR for hosting and haven't had any issues since.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Build Thread HERE

Last edited by chadillac2000; 10-18-2016 at 11:52 AM..
(#28)
Old

Default 10-30-2016, 03:28 PM

A few months back I was scanning some saved searches on eBay (as I often do because of my day job) when I ran across a poorly described listing advertising for a BMW diffuser listed as a "Buy It Now" option for $350. From what I could gather from the owner of the listing, the negatives were that the diffuser had some minor cracking and clear coating issues in a few different places. The positives were that this was an OEM BMW Performance piece in full carbon fiber, had all tabs intact, and was cheap. As I usually do on eBay, I offered him lower than he was asking and by the time it was over I was the proud owner of this diffuser for $250 including shipping.

Within a few days, I had the diffuser in hand. Sure enough, the diffuser was indeed authentic.

After seeing the extent of the damage in person and seeing that the majority of the unsightliness was a result of flaking clear coat, I made the decision to try to repair the diffuser, carefully sand down the damaged areas, and reapply another coat of clear. Before attempting to do some of the touch-up work myself, I had a chance encounter with a business acquaintance of mine that does some body work for our company. In between doing small jobs, he managed to squeeze in some time to see what he could do for my diffuser. The finished product looked much better than what I initially received, looks good enough that I'll probably keep the carbon fiber look for the time being, and cost me $0.

This piece definitely sharpens up the view from the rear and for a total of $250 invested, is hard to beat. The OEM E82 diffuser was removed in less than 5 minutes and the OEM BMW Performance diffuser in carbon fiber installed in less than 5 minutes. No fitment issues, no fuss.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 11-19-2016 at 07:26 PM..
(#29)
Old

Car: 135I
Default 10-31-2016, 01:42 PM

Very cool! Nicely done on the redo too!

498WHP / 516TQ : 10/29/16

VTT Stage 1 + Billet Wheel | VTT Inlets | VTT PCV Valve | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | Fuel It Stage 2 | ECS TwinTake| Stett Vacuum Canisters | Hartge Stepped FMIC | VRSF ** | 91Oct w/E50 | BMS Cowl Filters | Located in Denver, Colorado - High Altitude!

Maintenance: EKPM3-DE @ 74K | Water pump & T-stat @ 70K | Valve Cover @ 50K | VTT Turbo @ 70K | HPFP @ 65K | Walnut Blasting @ 65K | 6 Injectors @ 55K | Vacuum lines @ 55K | Spark Plugs @ 75K | Boost Solenoid @ 65K
(#30)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 10-31-2016, 09:24 PM

That looks really sharp!

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#31)
Old

Default 11-06-2016, 08:53 PM

Took the time this afternoon to perform a routine oil change as I turned over 65,000 miles this past weekend. As some added insurance, I will be following 5,000 intervals while I own the car. I also took this opportunity to replace the OEM oil drain plug with the Dimple Plug I recently picked up -- definitely interested to see what this has collected over the next 5,000 miles.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 11-11-2016 at 10:45 AM..
(#32)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM

Looks clean and classy!

Nice build!

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#33)
Old

Default 11-18-2016, 09:10 PM

After purchasing this mint condition 2008 BMW 135i back in late May with 54,000 miles on the odometer, I know find myself 6 months into ownership after turning 66,000 miles earlier this week.

Within those 6 months, I became very well acquainted with my new obsession. I documented every mod, repair, and preventative maintenance along the way in my build thread (which is linked in my signature). Some of these experiences were brought upon myself, and others forced.

The difference between the day I drove this car home and the car I drive today is immense. My modified version of the E82 135i not only looks menacing in stance, exterior improvements, and color scheme, but it sounds and plays the part well. Every opportunity I could find this spring, summer and fall to fully lower the windows, I took. The stereo was powered off, and still, the soundtrack never got old. Driver's side upgraded inlets, an ER charge pipe equipped with an HKS BOV, a fully ******* and resonated exhaust finished off with a Maddad Whisper axleback provided a sensational combination of sounds no matter the driving situation. The BMS clutch stop, ZHP weighted knob, and CDV delete had made operating the 6-speed transmission far more precise and easier to operate every day. What used to be a loose, uninspiring handle was quickly remedied with a slightly lower stance complete with Koni shocks, wider wheels, and more rubber. Aesthetic interior mods, aero parts, and blackout accents brought everything full circle.

Some quick, stream of thought pros and cons:

Pros: For the money, the complete package can't be beat. The power, the looks, the overall build quality is pretty great. I invested $16,500 initially, and probably closer to $21,000 the way it sits now. With somewhere in the neighborhood of 450HP/475TQ on tap, and the ability to easily add a bit more down the road, there's not another car I would ever consider at the present moment for my wants and needs. That's something I've only been able to say once before in my life. The ride is great. This suspension setup is super street-able every day and most of the time I forget how low to the ground this car really is. Car gets great gas mileage, obviously much better with 93 than with high E85 blends. Transmission is both challenging and satisfying. It took me longer than most cars to get a full grasp of the engagement points, rev matching points, and heel toe positions, but now nailing, seamlessly smooth shifts is really rewarding. My girlfriend is not a car enthusiast in the slightest, but she can't seem to tell any differences between the stock version of the 135i I originally purchased and how it sits now; which is a big win in my book. The sport seats are the best I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in and keep my frame perfectly aligned behind the wheel. Mod-ability is great. If I get bored there's always something to tinker with, DIY repair is fairly straightforward, and the platform only seems to be growing.

Cons: Cost of parts, mostly OEM repair related. Aftermarket parts, some of which I've purchased used, didn't really break the bank, but a complete set of index 12 injectors plus coding software wasn't fun to buy unexpectedly. OEM radio is subpar, and mine suffers from pixelation loss when left in any kind of heat for an extended period. Knowing my water pump and thermostat will leave me stranded more than likely over the year and will cost another $500 plus my weekend isn't comforting. I'm now on my second 3rd brake light that I'll need to replace because of cracking. Coming from a car with heated seats and steering wheel, not having either in the 135i is already sorely missed even though it's only November. My brakes squeak under light braking and always have despite having plenty of pad, no debris stuck between the pad and rotor, etc. Dual mass flywheel is noisier than I'd like.

As you can see, the cons are practically nonexistent compared to the pros. This car has my heart and will for the foreseeable future. And I used to think only M cars had soul. I was able to capture one last photo in front of the fall foliage before we fade into Winter here in North Carolina. It's been an absolute pleasure thus far!

(#34)
Old

Default 12-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Around the same time I began my search for an OEM BMW Performance carbon fiber diffuser, I also began searching for a set of OEM BMW Performance side skirts in Jet Black. They took a little longer to track down in used condition since I was looking for a particular color, but my hard work eventually paid off and I saved a few bucks off purchasing new and having them painted.

Installation was simple, straightforward, and took less than an hour to install both.

Each of these small aesthetic additions, although subtle on their own, have done wonders as a whole for the overall look.

(#35)
Old

Car: bmw e92 335i n54
Default 12-05-2016, 12:36 PM

I realy like the diffuser!
(#36)
Old

Default 12-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbes
I realy like the diffuser!
Thanks buddy -- I do too! Fit like a dream and when combined with the oversized ceramic coated exhaust tips on the Maddad Whisper, Blackline tails, and spoiler/badge delete, completely transformed the rear end in a very good way.

(#37)
Old

Default 12-18-2016, 02:22 PM

Over the past few weeks I've been collecting parts to address my paint correction needs. I haven't given the paint much love since taking ownership earlier this year, and judging by the infinite amount of swirls, the previous owners haven't either. In direct sunlight, it nearly makes me cringe.

After mulling over how to approach correcting the paint, it came down to paying a professional or staying true to myself and just learning how to do it myself. A few weeks of research here and there, a few hours lost to Youtube tutorials, and some time on Amazon, and here's what I came up with for my Jet Black paint:

BMW touch up paint, small brushes, and IPA to correct some paint chips I have around the car.

Meguiar's D300 on a Griot's Garage fast cutting microfiber pad, followed by Meguiar's 205 on a Griot's Garage orange correcting pad, and finished off with Blackfire Wet Diamond on a Griot's Garage red waxing pad.

and a Griot's Garage 6 inch random orbital to do the grunt work:

I've also picked up some other miscellaneous items to assist along the way like clay, quick detailer, leather cleaner, plenty of microfiber towels, a pad brush, pad conditioner, and some Jet Black touchup paint that I'll be applying a week or so prior to undertaking the full detail.

If my research serves me well, I should probably set aside an entire weekend, morning until night, split over at least two days.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 12-22-2016 at 09:57 AM..
(#38)
Old

Car: 08' 535i
Default 12-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Definitely set aside the weekend, that type of work is time consuming. Try a small area first to see how it comes out, I ended having to wet sand my 535i trunk and hood to get the acids rain out , buffer, egg shell and 3m compound wouldn't do it

08' 535i sport auto, jb4/mdh/xhp
10' x5m 11.72 1/4 record jb4 only
00' hayabusa turbo street bike
440 rwhp 1/8 5.42 141mph
07 SS trailblazer tuned/flex fuel
(#39)
Old

Default 12-22-2016, 12:57 PM

A small follow up on the RB External PCV system that I have installed:

It's been about 3,500 miles and a full month since I last checked my Mishimoto OCC connected to the RB External PCV system. Even though I thought I could easily make it the full 5,000 miles between oil changes before emptying my catch can (the first week of driving that I had the can installed, I only collected about 10% of the total capacity), I decided to play it safe. After my commute to work, I fully let the car cool down, and then pulled off the Mishimoto OCC to check what the system had prevented from going into my intake tract.

Whoa! Nearly completely full. The lower temperatures and mounting spot away from a heat source probably accounts for the weird consistency and coloring. The bottom portion of the can was a snotty, gunky mess. I ended up spraying the Mishimoto can out with degreaser and gave it a quick cleaning -- looks brand new again.

It looks like I should probably start checking every 2,000 miles or so from here one out just to be safe. Absolutely incredible how much this thing is catching!

Last edited by chadillac2000; 12-22-2016 at 01:04 PM..
(#40)
Old

Default 01-07-2017, 09:54 AM

With no garage for this daily driver, that means exposure to the elements on a very regular basis. In the winter in North Carolina, that also occasionally means snow. It pains me to see her sitting out in the below freezing temperatures with white powder piling up on the bonnet, but that's okay, it'll only toughen her up for the new long, hard life of constant usage she's been sold into.

Wth all the salt and debris that will be on the road for the next few weeks, the full detail I had in store for this 1er may be pushed back until spring rolls around.

(#41)
Old

Default 01-07-2017, 07:48 PM

Yowch! Nasty snot in the occ. I have the Mishimoto as well and only had a few ounces after my recent 7500 mi oil change. Been reading the loooong RB thread; that might be happening soon. Are your head ports plugged?

Nasty weather; you need a new pad with a garage man! ;-)

ianc
(#42)
Old

Default 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc
Yowch! Nasty snot in the occ. I have the Mishimoto as well and only had a few ounces after my recent 7500 mi oil change. Been reading the loooong RB thread; that might be happening soon. Are your head ports plugged?

Nasty weather; you need a new pad with a garage man! ;-)

ianc
The condensation and colder temperatures create a very nasty looking consistency/color for what it collects. Just thankful that all that didn't end up back in the intake system. I spend 99% of my driving at very low throttle, which is where the external PCV shines. And no my head ports are not plugged as of yet. That will be done when my valve cover gasket needs replacing down the road (shows no signs of failure yet).

Definitely need a new pad with a garage, but it is what it is at the moment. The 1er will just appreciate indoor storage even more when that day comes.

Dug the car out this morning and it fired right up, even running E40 at about 10 degrees F

(#43)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 01-09-2017, 09:39 PM

Hi,I have a quick question,as you may have ran into this yourself. Seeing that you owned a 535,is there any reason 335 d***np***s would fit? I know there may be issues with the midpipes,but other that that,would you see a problem? Sorry if I off tracked your build,but I know you did a build with the 535 that I also followed. Thank you.
(#44)
Old

Default 01-10-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Hi,I have a quick question,as you may have ran into this yourself. Seeing that you owned a 535,is there any reason 335 d***np***s would fit? I know there may be issues with the midpipes,but other that that,would you see a problem? Sorry if I off tracked your build,but I know you did a build with the 535 that I also followed. Thank you.
335i down ***** would not fit on a 535i. I'm not sure about vice versa but I doubt it. Just look at the shapes of the two down ***** (most notably the flat spot). The 535i versions are very unique in order to fit properly. Or at least the ones that I have were constructed differently than any 335i/135i down ***** I've seen.

(#45)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i e92 AT
Default 01-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Le Top toutes ces modifs:taper:

335i AT/ JB4+backend flash MHD/ Dci Bms/ intercooler Wagner/**/ Echappement Top speed/ chargepipe+mono dump Forge/ pompe a essence 320L/ Inlet Vtto/ Turbo TTE550/ Port injection Fuel It/ Ngk 5992/ Tmap/ Catch oil Bms/ Sport oil cooler valve Bms
(#46)
Old

Default 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Julien,

Desole, mais ici on comprends seulement Anglais...

ianc
(#47)
Old

Default 01-15-2017, 08:57 PM

Once again, my oil had reached the newly imposed 5,000 mile limit and called to be replaced. Along with my oil change, I also wanted to replace the manual transmission fluid given the fact I'd just clicked over the 70,000 mark. Chances are that the fluid in the transmission before the change was the original manufacturer's fill from 2008.

Supplies for these two tasks included 7 quarts of OEM oil, the appropriate oil filter and o-rings, Redline D4 ATF fluid, plastic tubing, and the 8mm hex to remove the transmission fill plugs.

A few things to note:
  • Love the BMS oil filter removal tool -- makes oil changes simple and clean.
  • The Dimple Plug that I had used in the oil pan for the past 5,000 miles had zero metal particles when removed.
  • Only 2,000 miles after last cleaning out the Mishimoto OCC connected to the external RB PCV system, I decided to play it safe and check again. Sure enough, the can was equally as full as the picture I posted a few weeks back and definitely warranted emptying again. Perhaps weekly checks are necessary during the cold weather and condensation.
  • The BMS OCC is still bone dry after being installed 10,000 miles ago. As I've mentioned before though, only been WOT probably 4-5 times in that period. Just a lot of commutes to work and back. Perhaps this is the reason as I've triple checked my installation and everything looks good.
  • The old fluid drained out very quickly because of the viscosity and was definitely dark in color.
  • When installing the new Redline fluid using the gravity fed method, I made a huge (smelly) mess. The 3/8" ID plastic tubing didn't fit properly inside any of the funnels I had, which made taping the connection shut with duct tape a pain. It also took considerably long than I anticipated as I waited for the new fluid to slowly drain from the funnel down the tubing and into the transmission upper fill plug.
  • First impressions are smoother engagement of gears when cold and less effort when shifting. I went with this over the other Redline options for that very reason. I see a large range of temperatures over the course of 12 months and my car has to brave the elements. The D4 ATF seemed to fit the bill more than their other options.

When changing the oil on two N54s at once (also did my 535i that just hit 185,000 miles), the quarts of oil really add up.

Nothing on the docket for the rest of the winter. Just planning on enjoying and driving the car for the next few months, hopefully with no issues!

Last edited by chadillac2000; 01-15-2017 at 09:05 PM..
(#48)
Old

Default 02-01-2017, 09:13 AM

This past week I finally bit the bullet and, despite having zero issues thus far with my water pump at nearly 72,000 miles of use, purchased a replacement Continental water pump, e-thermostat, and a gallon of BMW branded coolant. While it's never fun paying $500+ for preventative maintenance, especially when the parts are still fully functional, I forced myself to be realistic about my existing pump's lifespan. Even though my car almost exclusively sees highway expeditions of over 50 miles at a clip, there's no reason to think that I will get a ton more usage before I get the dreaded overheating warning.

When the water pump went out around 70,000 miles on my 535i (before the days of Uber/Lyft), I was on the way to an appointment, had no alternative transportation, and had my entire day ruined.

The next step is planning when to do the job. I'd love to wait until Spring when I can coincide this with tearing down the car for the full paint correction I've been plotting, but at my current mileage the pump is a ticking time bomb until it fails and leaves me stranded. While this is something I'll continue to ponder, Winston and I are glad to have the parts on hand just in case.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 02-01-2017 at 10:23 AM..
(#49)
Old

Default 02-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Awesome thread!
(#50)
Old

Car: '07 E92 335i
Default 02-01-2017, 01:52 PM

Yep awesome thread, gets me motivated to get back to work on my 335i. I actually need to drain and refill my coolant to refresh it and would be interested to see how the coolant bleeding process goes for you after you change out your waterpump.....please post any tips you have for this, thanks