N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 07 335I
Default RB turbo Rattle driving me nuts - 04-25-2016, 10:33 PM

Well its been almost two years since I put RB's in and since day one they have rattled. I have gone through three sets of solenoids. Last set three days ago with all new vacuum hose. Have changed every vacuum line in the car twice. Done multiple vacuum test and everything checks out fine. Have tired every possible position of the wastegate with the JB4 and still no luck getting rid of it. Contacted Rob last year before warranty was up and was informed he has never had rattle issue before. (First for everything). I have been troubleshooting it ever since. So I took the ********* of couple weeks ago to install the MMP inlets and took a short video of the rear actuator. Do these look loose to anyone else? I have no other complaint about the turbo's other than the waste gate rattle. Just really disappointed these turbo's are not even two years old. Not trying to speak bad of Rob or his product just want to if this should be normal. The front wasn't like this at all.
Does this look really loose to anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccvUzz3MvjY
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 04-25-2016, 10:59 PM

Have you tried it w/o the JB4? My brand new OEM turbos rattled horribly with JB4 and I messed with the settings for months. It made it better, but it was still really embarrassing. Then I removed the JB4 and rattling was completely gone. Reinstalled it to confirm and rattling came back. I think the factory WG control is really good at keeping them quiet. I use MHD now and have no rattling when not using the rattle fix option which I think reverts to oem control.

2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI
(#3)
Old

Default 04-25-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Have you tried it w/o the JB4? My brand new OEM turbos rattled horribly with JB4 and I messed with the settings for months. It made it better, but it was still really embarrassing. Then I removed the JB4 and rattling was completely gone. Reinstalled it to confirm and rattling came back. I think the factory WG control is really good at keeping them quiet. I use MHD now and have no rattling when not using the rattle fix option which I think reverts to oem control.
Yeah I have even removed it from the car completely and the rattle is still there. I have had the rattle since day one and I got the turbo's before the JB4.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 04-26-2016, 04:57 AM

Looks like the waste gate arm needs to be adjusted. Have you shown this to Rob Beck?

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#5)
Old

Default 04-26-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
Looks like the waste gate arm needs to be adjusted. Have you shown this to Rob Beck?
Not since I took the video but I did email him last year about the rattle. His response was he's never had any complaints or issues with rattle.
(#6)
Old
Legend

Default 04-26-2016, 06:19 AM

Well now you have better info to share. That waste gate lid shouldn't be moving like that.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#7)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-26-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeuwunder
His response was he's never had any complaints or issues with rattle.
Presume to be the email we received this morning (1.5 years since the last), the one where we copied in pages of responses of suggestions from 2014- only to get this type of feedback of what our response was like online (ie. short, uncaring, etc). Much appreciated.

Anyway as stated back in 2014 all still applies. If you are hearing rattle on our NEW RB turbos something else is causing it. We have had only a handful of rattle complaints since 2009-2010 (which is a miracle considering all of the flaky components in this vacuum system), and every time it was something in the supporting control system as the cause. But if you do NOT address it quickly, as you are rattling you are wearing. Nothing can avoid this phenomena.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#8)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 04-26-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Presume to be the email we received this morning (1.5 years since the last), the one where we copied in pages of responses of suggestions from 2014- only to get this type of feedback of what our response was like online (ie. short, uncaring, etc). Much appreciated.

Anyway as stated back in 2014 all still applies. If you are hearing rattle on our NEW RB turbos something else is causing it. We have had only a handful of rattle complaints since 2009-2010 (which is a miracle considering all of the flaky components in this vacuum system), and every time it was something in the supporting control system as the cause. But if you do NOT address it quickly, as you are rattling you are wearing. Nothing can avoid this phenomena.

Rob
It wouldn't have rattle if the pivot bushing wasn't loose to begin with. And as stated in his post, OP clearly did everything he could to trouble shoot (solenoid, vacuum lines, etc.) It is pretty clear from his video that the issue lies with the hardware, more specifically the WG arm and pivot.

With all due respect, my 7 year old stock turbos don't have that much play at the pivot, and mines rattle like crazy if I don't turn on FUD98. Can't imagine how bad these must have been for him.

09 BMW E92 335i: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline / Vorshlag / Dinan / CSF / APEX Full Modlist
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#9)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-26-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
It wouldn't have rattle if the pivot bushing wasn't loose to begin with. And as stated in his post, OP clearly did everything he could to trouble shoot (solenoid, vacuum lines, etc.) It is pretty clear from his video that the issue lies with the hardware, more specifically the WG arm and pivot.

With all due respect, my 7 year old stock turbos don't have that much play at the pivot, and mines rattle like crazy if I don't turn on FUD98. Can't imagine how bad these must have been for him.
Oh yes, because we sent him the worn out components we had laying around? LOL. Every component we make is CNC machined to .001" tolerance out of Aerospace grade USA high heat/anti-wear components. Superiority over the OEM components in every possible way, and extremely expensive. We've handled approximately 1600 OEM turbos so are well aware of what is normal, or what is not normal, most of them are worse than what is in this video.

Anyway using the best materials and design does not make them not wear, over time, if they are constantly subjected to a harsh environment. Any brand new turbos CAN and WILL rattle, this IS NOT due to wear... it is due to an external cause which does not allow the flapper to fully seat on the turbine housing when instructed. So as it hovers, it rattles, and components wear. Rattling is the worse possible thing for internal wastegate longevity, it is really as simple as that.

BTW- I've attached a picture of what wastegate components we manufacture in house, same design we've used since the beginning, with tremendous success. These come with every new set of turbos, same as designed in ~2009.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 04-26-2016 at 07:36 AM..
(#10)
Old

Default 04-26-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, because we sent him the worn out components we had laying around? LOL. Every component we make is CNC machined to .001" tolerance out of Aerospace grade USA high heat/anti-wear components. Superiority over the OEM components in every possible way, and extremely expensive. We've handled approximately 1600 OEM turbos so are well aware of what is normal, or what is not normal, most of them are worse than what is in this video.

Anyway using the best materials and design does not make them not wear, over time, if they are constantly subjected to a harsh environment. Any brand new turbos CAN and WILL rattle, this IS NOT due to wear... it is due to an external cause which does not allow the flapper to fully seat on the turbine housing when instructed. So as it hovers, it rattles, and components wear. Rattling is the worse possible thing for internal wastegate longevity, it is really as simple as that.

BTW- I've attached a picture of what wastegate components we manufacture in house, same design we've used since the beginning, with tremendous success. These come with every new set of turbos, same as designed in ~2009.

Thanks,
Rob
No need to turn this into a piss match...

It is pretty clear that his pivot bushing in the turbo housing is looser than what is suppose to be, and while all the rest of the component looks good. OP already said he tried different tuning solutions, swapping out all the rest of the supporting hardware. The only left are the wastegate mechanism and pneumatic actuators themselves (which doesn't seem to the problem from his video).

Perhaps the particular turbo OP got was out of spec from the factory? Anyway, this type of response and attitude as a vendor is not encouraging for any potential customer to say the least. Ranting online and typing up all your marketing materials doesn't help the OP nor yourself, something you ought to know by now...

09 BMW E92 335i: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline / Vorshlag / Dinan / CSF / APEX Full Modlist
(#11)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
No need to turn this into a piss match...

It is pretty clear that his pivot bushing in the turbo housing is looser than what is suppose to be, and while all the rest of the component looks good. OP already said he tried different tuning solutions, swapping out all the rest of the supporting hardware. The only left are the wastegate mechanism and pneumatic actuators themselves (which doesn't seem to the problem from his video).

Perhaps the particular turbo OP got was out of spec from the factory? Anyway, this type of response and attitude as a vendor is not encouraging for any potential customer to say the least. Ranting online and typing up all your marketing materials doesn't help the OP nor yourself, something you ought to know by now...
Cloud9Blue,

Apparently you missed the part that these were 2 years old and he has been rattling since day 1, along with everything else I just typed out, it is still not adding up to you...

I realize you are the expert in conspiracy theories and/or know all about everything. Perhaps you simply should lead the way with your infinite wisdom.

I've wasted enough time in this thread, if the OP needs has further questions he can email.

Thanks,
Rob

(#12)
Old

Default 04-26-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Cloud9Blue,

Apparently you missed the part that these were 2 years old and he has been rattling since day 1, along with everything else I just typed out, it is still not adding up to you...

Thanks,
Rob
Not sure who is missing the point here.

My stock turbo has been rattling for 2 years as well and it probably spend more time in boost than any of the cars here since I spend A LOT of time on road course.

Guess what, the wastegates aren't even as bad as these ones. If the bushings are as high of a quality as you said they are AND ASSUMING they weren't loose to begin with, there is no reason they should wear to that point in just two years of street use.

Anyway, the fact that these has been rattling from day 1 and continue to do so after all the fixes OP attempted suggest these were out of specs to begin with. To put it politely, this is not the first time people reported problems with your wastegates (broken pivot welds, ever recall that?).

(#13)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-26-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Guess what, the wastegates aren't even as bad as these ones.
Ok

(#14)
Old

Default 04-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Ok
This thread was not a bash to Rob in anyway and my apologies if it cam across that way. I have enjoyed the performance without a doubt. Yes myself and Rob have talked about the rattle before and he has always gotten right back to me. No complaint there. Yes, I should have sent them back within the warranty time frame that is definitely my fault. I am not asking for anything free from Rob. But after two years of chasing a vacuum issue replacing everything within that system sorry but leads me to believe that the vacuum system can be ruled out. My frustration and patients over came me when I wrote the initial thread. Again other than the rattle I have had no other issues with these turbo's and probably wouldn't hesitate to buy another set. I just don't have the money to throw $3500 dollars into new turbos every two years.
(#15)
Old

Car: E92 n54
Default 04-26-2016, 01:21 PM

Wow Rb is turning into another VTT....
(#16)
Old

Default 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM

On another thought, what grade of steel are these wastegates made out of?

Serious question, not trying to troll, really...

(#17)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 04-26-2016, 02:19 PM

Rob, is that amount of WG pivot wear to be expected after nearly 2 years? That's more than I've ever seen in a stock turbo even with 100k+ miles. Granted you've seen a lot more than I have!

2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI
(#18)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 04-27-2016, 04:16 AM

Shoot my factory turbos have more slop than that... still make 20 # and no smoke...just use the bits option for alternative wastegate algorithm...
(#19)
Old
Legend

Default 04-27-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori335
Wow Rb is turning into another VTT....
Haven't seen any bipolar rants from Tony lately. Has he gotten himself banned from this forum as well? Been strangely quiet for a while.

Sleeper 5 series
(#20)
Old

Car: 135
Red face 04-28-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
On another thought, what grade of steel are these wastegates made out of?

Serious question, not trying to troll, really...
I've come to notice you sir seem to have a select few users on several boards you don't like, and you go out of your way to argue, and throw your .02 cents in. They could say the sky is blue, you would say the sky is grey.... (AUbeast transmission cooler thread most recently).

Not doubting your general knowledge, but I do doubt your sincerity and reason for commenting.

To be frank, you are probably a vendors worst nightmare, a know it all, that undoubtably would forever be displeased, and I am very certain would go online and post about how you could do it better or how it "should" be done, but they would probably miss your point, right?

Last edited by 1hunglow; 04-28-2016 at 12:56 AM..
(#21)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 04-28-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hunglow
I've come to notice you sir seem to have a select few users on several boards you don't like, and you go out of your way to argue, and throw your .02 cents in. They could say the sky is blue, you would say the sky is grey.... (AUbeast transmission cooler thread most recently).

Not doubting your general knowledge, but I do doubt your sincerity and reason for commenting.

To be frank, you are probably a vendors worst nightmare, a know it all, that undoubtably would forever be displeased, and I am very certain would go online and post about how you could do it better or how it "should" be done, but they would probably miss your point, right?
(#22)
Old

Default 04-28-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Well, I am their worst nightmare if they have full of bs. You can hate me all you want for calling them out but that's the whole point of a forum isn't it. All too many times vendors participle in these forums for all the wrong reasons.

And about the trans cooler, once people get more data with the new jb4 logs, they will arrive at their own conclusion... And you know what, if people stick to the facts instead of rants and bs, none of this would have happen.

(#23)
Old

Default 04-28-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Well, I am their worst nightmare if they have full of bs. You can hate me all you want for calling them out but that's the whole point of a forum isn't it. All too many times vendors participle in these forums for all the wrong reasons.

And about the trans cooler, once people get more data with the new jb4 logs, they will arrive at their own conclusion... And you know what, if people stick to the facts instead of rants and bs, none of this would have happen.
Ah I get it, you are the white knight, whisking in to save EVERYONE. I get it now, it all makes perfectly good sense, you are the whistle blower for the n54 community.

I think your overall attitude leaves a lot of be desired. Your overall condescending attitude that you claim is to "cut the BS" really doesn't fool anyone. We get it you are bright, and you want everyone to know it.

It seems like you follow the forums, vendors, products, shops, and n54 happenings, congrats, but what have you contributed to this forum that is close to what say Rob Beck had contributed, besides a biased, jaded review(s).

I don't hate you for calling vendors out, I find it humorous you only go out of your way for certain vendors, there is a difference, you bud are selective with your hate. Why aren't you shaming the OP for keeping on a set of turbos that apparently rattled out of the box? Guess we can chalk that up to your selective critiquing.
(#24)
Old

Default 04-28-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Ah I get it, you are the white knight, whisking in to save EVERYONE. I get it now, it all makes perfectly good sense, you are the whistle blower for the n54 community.

I think your overall attitude leaves a lot of be desired. Your overall condescending attitude that you claim is to "cut the BS" really doesn't fool anyone. We get it you are bright, and you want everyone to know it.

It seems like you follow the forums, vendors, products, shops, and n54 happenings, congrats, but what have you contributed to this forum that is close to what say Rob Beck had contributed, besides a biased, jaded review(s).

I don't hate you for calling vendors out, I find it humorous you only go out of your way for certain vendors, there is a difference, you bud are selective with your hate. Why aren't you shaming the OP for keeping on a set of turbos that apparently rattled out of the box? Guess we can chalk that up to your selective critiquing.
And you are not acting like a white knight by typing all these rants up and hijacking this thread? Please...

I have no problem with RB, who I bought quite a few very well made parts from him and also called out Tony's BS for RB's sake over the years. But OP had a problem, and RB's attitude in this thread was disappointing to say the least. The same goes the guy with the trans cooler adaptor who is more interested in throwing diss to anyone who disagree with him than talking about actual data. So that makes me a white knight now, because you refuse to see the actual issue that are being discussed here? Don't even get me started on the amount of BS on the Frankenturbo threads...

Guess what, I did blame OP for not sending in his turbo earlier on e90post. Sure OP had a problem that he should have handled it earlier instead of sitting on them for 2 years (something he already admits, so no need to shame him any further), but RB is also trying to shift the blame by spewing up marketing BS, which I called him out for. That's it... If you don't like the way I talk on forums and how I apparently trying to sound smarter than everyone else. I am sorry, but I really don't have the energy to sugar coat every post I made for sensitive people like you... But I refuse to dumb things down and resort to throwing rants and insults like some of you guys here.

Anyway, I am done with your nonsense...

Last edited by Cloud9Blue; 04-28-2016 at 02:54 PM..
(#25)
Old

Default 04-28-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
And you are not acting like a white knight by typing all these rants up and hijacking this thread? Please...

I have no problem with RB, who I bought quite a few very well made parts from him and also called out Tony's BS for RB's sake over the years. But OP had a problem, and RB's attitude in this thread was disappointing to say the least. The same goes the guy with the trans cooler adaptor who is more interested in throwing diss to anyone who disagree with him than talking about actual data. So that makes me a white knight now, because you refuse to see the actual issue that are being discussed here? Don't even get me started on the amount of BS on the Frankenturbo threads...

Guess what, I did blame OP for not sending in his turbo earlier on e90post. Sure OP had a problem that he should have handled it earlier instead of sitting on them for 2 years (something he already admits, so no need to shame him any further), but RB is also trying to shift the blame by spewing up marketing BS, which I called him out for. That's it... If you don't like the way I talk on forums and how I apparently trying to sound smarter than everyone else. I am sorry, but I really don't have the energy to sugar coat every post I made for sensitive people like you... But I refuse to dumb things down and resort to throwing rants and insults like some of you guys here.

Anyway, I am done with your nonsense...
The actual issue is the OP's turbos have waste gate rattle...

What I am curious about is what is your actual issue? You state RB spewing up marketing BS, trying to shift blame and his "attitude"? Funny you don't like someone's attitude, but its deemed "ok" if you don't have time to sugar coat it (as you call it), but not okay if Rob or another vendor doesn't? Pot calling the kettle black if you ask me...

But I digress....