N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
N54_liam N54_liam is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 55
Join Date: May 2015
Car: 135i e82 n54
Default Backend Flash - what you need to know - 11-12-2015, 06:19 AM

Ok i couldnt find a thread like this anywhere only bits of information spread across the forum, so i thought i would take this opportunity to start this off as it may help other people long after it has helped me.

I have JB4 G5 ISO and want to "Backend Flash"

My question is what do i need?
Which cables work to connect to either
-Android
-Iphone
-Laptop

Which apps can be used on each of the above to install the Flash?

Which different flashes are there and what do they change JB4 map boost targets too?

Who makes the best / preferred flash?

Im in the UK so i know i will need a pump flash as likelihood of ethanol is low. Also will map 5 still auto tune as it does now so if i did add octane booster / ethanol etc it would compensate for this?

Mods feel free to move this if it is in the wrong section i just thought if it got enough response it could be helpful to others searching Back end flash options.
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
Russjonesr's Avatar
Russjonesr Russjonesr is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 532
Join Date: Jul 2014
Car: Bmw e92 335i
Default 11-12-2015, 08:07 AM

How you flash can depend on your existing equipment...if you have a laptop you may want to use (free)

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563

My preferred method would be to use an Android with OTG capability and the MHD flash app

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29236

either method you will require this ( and it works fine on both)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OB...item3f3db86fa1

There are various maps available from Terry for both methods...generally pump, Race and E85...depending on your mods and octane. Even after the flash map5 on the JB4 is still learning, so a few pulls on higher octane and it will learn.
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
str8shot str8shot is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 320
Join Date: Oct 2012
Car: N54 135i
Default 11-12-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russjonesr
How you flash can depend on your existing equipment...if you have a laptop you may want to use (free)

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563
Not really free, requires a $179 BT cable...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Russjonesr
either method you will require this ( and it works fine on both)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OB...item3f3db86fa1
This is incorrect. Only MHD can use the cheaper K/D-can cable.

BB flash via laptop requires the BT cable as stated above (unless something changed recently?).


2008 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // JB4 G5 Iso with E85 backend flash // str8shot Bluetooth enabled e85 content analyzer with JB4 integration // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downp|pes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm front spacers
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
Arnie Arnie is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2014
Car: 135i
Default 11-12-2015, 01:38 PM

Is "free" flash from terry any different to bsckedn flash via mhd in terms of perfomrance.

I have bt cable and bot sure if its worth getting mhd? I want to keep jb4 as it is now just add backend
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
Mr. T Mr. T is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 154
Join Date: Sep 2015
Car: 135i
Default 11-12-2015, 02:36 PM

backend flashes from either are "free", just depends on what you need to buy in order to use that flashing method. I'll be listing the requirements below

BimmerBoost (BB) backend flash:
  • Bavarian Technic Cable. Don't need vins to flash, so the cable can be either new, or used with the vins depleted. Brand new is $180 for the single vin cable
  • Laptop. Used to download, store and unzip the folder containing the backend flash files

MHD flasher:
  • Android device capable of OTG
  • USB on the go (OTG) adapter. I found mine on newegg for $3, works flawlessly
  • K/Dcan cable (I found it for $40. Possible to find cheaper, but you're taking a risk of getting the wrong cable or it not working)
  • jb4 backend license $79

That's it. MHD is currently preferred because BB support fell off the face of the earth a while ago, along with their being more tables available via MHD making it a more complete flash. MHD backend also is able to read higher psi levels, up to 21-22psi. Think the backends add 1.5-2psi to each map across the board. So map 7 would go from 17 to 19 psi.

Map 5 and the pump backend are good for 93 octane and e mixes ~30%. If you want more ethanol, you'll need a lpfp upgrade and the e85 backend. If you're not gonna be running greater than a e30 mix, stick with the pump backend. Map 7 requires at least an e50 mix as well, so you won't be able to use that.
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
stanlalee's Avatar
stanlalee stanlalee is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 125
Join Date: Jan 2014
Car: 2007 E92 335i 6sp
Default 11-12-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T
That's it. MHD is currently preferred because BB support fell off the face of the earth a while ago, along with their being more tables available via MHD making it a more complete flash . MHD backend also is able to read higher psi levels, up to 21-22psi. Think the backends add 1.5-2psi to each map across the board. So map 7 would go from 17 to 19 psi.
1. The tables are a function of the updated XDFs. All the new tables work with BB flash. For JB4 backend flashes what new tables are there is based on how quickly Terry decides to update them when new tables are released.

2. Boost is controlled by the JB4, what boost MHD reads would be irrelevant for JB4 with backend flash. JB4 doesn't control boost any differently based on which flashed is used (JB4 settings determine how much boost).

3. What is all this BB support that fell off the face of the earth you speak of? There is a thread, its still there being supported. Updated backend flashes via BB is still being supported. XDF updates work with BB flash. Nothing fell off (that's all the support there ever was), something else just came along. Granted it would be silly to get a BT cable for BB flashing now since you can buy the MHD flashing and logging license for the same amount of money and its a 1000 times more convenient and has some nice added features. But I had the BT cable and flash WAY before MHD was available. I do use the MHD for logging but haven't as of yet bought the flashing license. Its no my to do list I guess at some point for kicks but hardly required.
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
MHD's Avatar
MHD MHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 499
Join Date: Jul 2013
Car: 07 335i AT
Default 11-20-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
1. The tables are a function of the updated XDFs. All the new tables work with BB flash. For JB4 backend flashes what new tables are there is based on how quickly Terry decides to update them when new tables are released.

2. Boost is controlled by the JB4, what boost MHD reads would be irrelevant for JB4 with backend flash. JB4 doesn't control boost any differently based on which flashed is used (JB4 settings determine how much boost).

3. What is all this BB support that fell off the face of the earth you speak of? There is a thread, its still there being supported. Updated backend flashes via BB is still being supported. XDF updates work with BB flash. Nothing fell off (that's all the support there ever was), something else just came along. Granted it would be silly to get a BT cable for BB flashing now since you can buy the MHD flashing and logging license for the same amount of money and its a 1000 times more convenient and has some nice added features. But I had the BT cable and flash WAY before MHD was available. I do use the MHD for logging but haven't as of yet bought the flashing license. Its no my to do list I guess at some point for kicks but hardly required.

The BEF for MHD are better than the bimmerboost BEF because
- MHD allows to manipulate torque limits table - if you do that and flash with bimmerboost, car won't start
- MHD allow incrased boost ceiling / higher load seen by the DME than bimmerboost, which helps quite on AT/DCT cars. This is for I8-IJE firmware, but IKM0s (1M) and INA0S support is coming soon.

As for the xdf tables all working with bimmerboost flash. Apart from the torque limiters and boost ceiling not working with bimmerboost flash, MHD specific tables are coming progressively. As we modify more and more the firmwares, there will be more MHD only tables. Granted, most of the mods will be for flash only users like load per gear.
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
RhynoBoiler's Avatar
RhynoBoiler RhynoBoiler is offline
Chi-Town Cruiser
 
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2017
Car: 2011 BMW 335is
Default 08-14-2017, 04:57 PM

sorry to rehash an old thread, but I couldn't find the info I needed on this thread or the other one dedicated to BEF.

I have a JB4 on my 2011 335is, based on what I've seen I think the MHD flash would be a good way to achieve a few extra pounds of boost in map 5 of the JB4.

My question has to do with whether or not the BEF alters the DME in such a way that a dealership is always going to see it and not be willing to perform warrantee work if it is present. Additionally, if the DME needs to be updated (for instance to the latest BMW DME software version in order to clear inaccurate codes), will that delete the MHD flash?


All aboard the Lakeshore Drive Express!

Engines, guns & hamburgers - the firepower trifecta
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
MHD's Avatar
MHD MHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 499
Join Date: Jul 2013
Car: 07 335i AT
Default 08-17-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhynoBoiler
sorry to rehash an old thread, but I couldn't find the info I needed on this thread or the other one dedicated to BEF.

I have a JB4 on my 2011 335is, based on what I've seen I think the MHD flash would be a good way to achieve a few extra pounds of boost in map 5 of the JB4.

My question has to do with whether or not the BEF alters the DME in such a way that a dealership is always going to see it and not be willing to perform warrantee work if it is present. Additionally, if the DME needs to be updated (for instance to the latest BMW DME software version in order to clear inaccurate codes), will that delete the MHD flash?
Be it JB4, JB+ BEF or MHD only, BMW can always detect you were tuned, if they really want to dig. Just flash back to stock with MHD if you want to service the car.
The DME can be overwritten by the dealership you can always flash again with MHD afterwards (flashing is unlimited). For info there was no update for long and you should not expect new updates anymore.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
RhynoBoiler's Avatar
RhynoBoiler RhynoBoiler is offline
Chi-Town Cruiser
 
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2017
Car: 2011 BMW 335is
Default 08-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD
Be it JB4, JB+ BEF or MHD only, BMW can always detect you were tuned, if they really want to dig. Just flash back to stock with MHD if you want to service the car.
The DME can be overwritten by the dealership you can always flash again with MHD afterwards (flashing is unlimited). For info there was no update for long and you should not expect new updates anymore.
Thank you for the info! If I run hybrid "stock location" turbos, is flashing back to stock with mhd still an option?


All aboard the Lakeshore Drive Express!

Engines, guns & hamburgers - the firepower trifecta
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
MHD's Avatar
MHD MHD is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 499
Join Date: Jul 2013
Car: 07 335i AT
Default 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhynoBoiler
Thank you for the info! If I run hybrid "stock location" turbos, is flashing back to stock with mhd still an option?
Option for what?
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
RhynoBoiler's Avatar
RhynoBoiler RhynoBoiler is offline
Chi-Town Cruiser
 
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2017
Car: 2011 BMW 335is
Default 08-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD
Option for what?
If I replace my stock turbos for aftermarket hybrid ones and use a back end MHD flash with them, can the car be operated with those turbos if I need to flash back to stock temporarily?


All aboard the Lakeshore Drive Express!

Engines, guns & hamburgers - the firepower trifecta
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
Tuppidsay Tuppidsay is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 136
Join Date: Sep 2013
Car: 2008 535i
Default 08-22-2017, 10:11 AM

yes it's fine


2008 BMW 535i SPORT SAT - VVT GC LITE - INS&OUTS - JB4 - Custom BEF - DCI - VRSF EXHAUST - BMS METH PROMETH 2GPHx6 Port + 4GPHx1 Charge Pipe - BIG TOM IC - RACEPORT BOV - 3.5 TMAP - BMS CATCH CAN - VTT PCV - MUFFLER DELETE
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
madmatt9471 madmatt9471 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2013
Car: 98 Vette 734 whp, 08 335i e90 n54
Default 09-11-2017, 08:13 PM

Subscribed -

Thanks,Matt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2017, N54tech.com