N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi e90
Default 11-26-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay77
Well aren't you just a shining ball of light.......

Thanks for the condescending, insulting posts. Welcome to my ignore list.

I read plenty on this forum, but given my background, making changes to menus on the car when I don't fully, and I mean FULLY understand what I'm changing, just didn't seem logical. After asking questions offline and doing some MORE reading (not all on this site) I think I found enough info to understand what's what.

But thanks anyway. You have added an astonishing amount of information to this thread with your crystal clear explanation of the magic behind menus 10,11, and 12.
Every forum has a guy that you just described LOL. Some old lonely dude who was once useful on the forum that got tired of seeing everything he knows (or think he knows) and just turns into an ass because everyone else should JUST KNOW everything that said person THINKS they know. Ah yes. My favorite kind of help. Not.

Heaven forbid anyone new join the scene.. Like we should just be born with a false sense of knowledge like these dudes... Not sure if it's a bimmer scene thing or if there's just a d bag on every forum.
(#27)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 11-26-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54GOTU
Every forum has a guy that you just described LOL. Some old lonely dude who was once useful on the forum that got tired of seeing everything he knows (or think he knows) and just turns into an ass because everyone else should JUST KNOW everything that said person THINKS they know. Ah yes. My favorite kind of help. Not.

Heaven forbid anyone new join the scene.. Like we should just be born with a false sense of knowledge like these dudes... Not sure if it's a bimmer scene thing or if there's just a d bag on every forum.
Wow. We've got some sensitive folks in here. I should know better than to be blunt without some taking offense

As much as you want to make this about me insisting that everyone should know this stuff instinctively it's actually about pointing out that those that have clearly not tried to help themselves first should be forced to do so.

Last edited by Element; 11-26-2015 at 01:57 AM..
(#28)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 11-26-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element
As for not supporting it anymore, you'll find that is a result of what I mentioned in that thread 1) Having sold my N54 I have no reason to be on this site but I still stay around to try my best to be a douche and I think I'm some n54 God and this forum can't continue without me"
That's all I got from what you type. Guess my comprehension sucks.
Guess you just like hanging around huh
(#29)
Old

Car: BMW 135I
Default 11-26-2015, 08:34 AM

They are a lot of nice guys in here helping most everybody; especially when you send logs for your ride.
(#30)
Old

Car: BMW 335i e90
Default 11-26-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8R8k
Does this setting apply for the ST Firmware?
I was wondering the same thing as my settings are all the same from when I was running faulty RB's.

2007 335i e90 6mt | Motiv 750 XR8267 | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | MHD Pump Flash | Walbro 255lph | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | Custom Side Exhaust | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
(#31)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 11-26-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyardie
That's all I got from what you type. Guess my comprehension sucks.
Guess you just like hanging around huh
Ouch, your witty retort cut me deep! How will I live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race8877
They are a lot of nice guys in here helping most everybody; especially when you send logs for your ride.
Indeed there are. Some however are "takers" who only concern themselves with their own issues/needs. This is fine too, but when they piss and moan when they don't get their way it becomes a laughable affair.

Last edited by Element; 11-26-2015 at 10:54 AM..
(#32)
Old

Car: E93 335i
Default 11-26-2015, 01:54 PM

I've been having drivability issues since one of the updates not sure which one, but on partial throttle i get a lot of jerking.

With JB4 off .. smooth as a babies bottom.

Anyone found the perfect settings yet. (i haven't changed mine apart from the throttle sensitivity which i returned back to default)
(#33)
Old

Car: '07 335i & '88 Mustang LX
Default 11-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.Williams
I've been having drivability issues since one of the updates not sure which one, but on partial throttle i get a lot of jerking.

With JB4 off .. smooth as a babies bottom.

Anyone found the perfect settings yet. (i haven't changed mine apart from the throttle sensitivity which i returned back to default)
I had the partial throttle driveability issues you're describing just the other day. I lowered my Menu 12 setting (wastegate duty cycle) down about 2 ticks (~2600rpm) and it seems to have fixed the issue altogether. For some reason if it was set any higher, the car would build up full boost or more than was actually targeted at partial throttle and the car would respond by shutting the throttle abruptly and causing massive oscillations. Lowering the duty cycle a bit seems to have fixed that and now I only hit full boost when I really want it to, i.e. when the pedal is pretty much floored. If that doesn't work, try the throttle sensitivity menu.
(#34)
Old

Car: E93 335i
Default 11-27-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhReaK
I had the partial throttle driveability issues you're describing just the other day. I lowered my Menu 12 setting (wastegate duty cycle) down about 2 ticks (~2600rpm) and it seems to have fixed the issue altogether. For some reason if it was set any higher, the car would build up full boost or more than was actually targeted at partial throttle and the car would respond by shutting the throttle abruptly and causing massive oscillations. Lowering the duty cycle a bit seems to have fixed that and now I only hit full boost when I really want it to, i.e. when the pedal is pretty much floored. If that doesn't work, try the throttle sensitivity menu.
Thanks man! I think i did have a play with this but ill have to look into it further.
(#35)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi e90
Default 01-24-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Indeed there are. Some however are "takers" who only concern themselves with their own issues/needs. This is fine too, but when they piss and moan when they don't get their way it becomes a laughable affair.
Babysitting a laptop isn't for everyone
(#36)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Menu 10 is the position the wastegate returns too when making less than 1.5psi of boost.

Menu 11 is the gas pedal sensitivity start point. A setting of 0 runs zero boost up to 45% gas pedal input while a setting of 5000rpm runs zero boost up to 5% gas pedal input. 100% gas pedal input is always full target.

Menu 12 is the minimum wastegate duty cycle. PWM will not drop below this value regardless of where boost is in relation to target.
Defult settings:
10-3000rpm
11-1000rpm
12-2800rpm
Are these jb4 default or stock ECU default settings?
How are these settings compared to non jb4 n54 and which settings will yield functioning of the wastegates similar to stock ECU ?
I tried the above jb4 default setings and I disliked it. Until 3000/3500 is like the wastegates are confused and don't know what position to take.
I read a lot of threads that are literally copy paste from your sticky threads but no where ai read how to setup 10,11&12 to be similar or equal to stock ECU
I apologize if this has been covered and would really appreaciate if I get uour answer.

If it matters the engine other than jb4 is completely factory.
4/2008 with 76k
Injectors index#12 and new spark plaugs at 75k
New oem turbos at 68k
Walnut blasting at 60k
(#37)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-01-2016, 08:59 PM

Those are the default JB4 settings. The factory DME equivalent versions vary wildly based on the actual DME software version.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#38)
Old

Default 05-02-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Those are the default JB4 settings. The factory DME equivalent versions vary wildly based on the actual DME software version.
Can you please give us the range since probably although they vary from one DME software version to another they must be close, no?
I would really like to know and assume others as well.
Scanning my car with BT give me this:

MSD80/MSD81 Engine module for N53/N54 Module Identification Hardware Number 7611358 Hardware Vesion Number 00 Coding Index 19 DiagnosticIndex 0000 VariantIndex 4131 Date of ECU Manufacturing 20080415 System Supplier Siemens Message Catalog Version 255.255.255 Software Version 0.0.0 OS Version 0.0.0
(#39)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-02-2016, 09:08 AM

The default values are within the range used by most DME versions. Some versions like DME v29.2 had a really low menu 10 (equivalent of 800rpm) to reduce rattle, which greatly increased lag.

In any event the settings are there and easy to change so feel free to play with them if you're so inclined.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#40)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Thanks op and replies this actually help and dumbed it down for me

Sometimes there's just too much info in too many places or things just don't click. This clicked for me. Thanks again
(#41)
Old

Car: 2003 M5 2008 335xi
Default 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I can tell you in the case of the OP he has helped an incredible amount people including myself. Anyone who owns a E39 M5 knows who he is and most likely benefited from his help in one way or another.
(#42)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM

OP, after being out of the n54 world for a couple of years I was in the same boat as you. I tried different things and right now I'm using the following: My car drives amazing now

10: 3,000
11: 3,500
12: 2,800

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#43)
Old

Car: 2009 535i xdrive
Default 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM

The major thing that I learned about menus 10,11,&12 is that it varies greatly car to car based on its age, backend flash, turbo condition etc. the setting listed above for example would not work for me as my turbos are worn out. It stinks but you really have to try combinations to see what works for you. Menu 10 has to be below 10 for me (or Future use D option) or they rattle like nobody's business. Over the years I have had to gradually lower menu 10 as the turbos aged. I have 140,000 miles on originals turbos and they are slow to spool so my menu 10 is at 4500 so I can get them going asap.

2009 535xi - JB4 G5 ISO -BMS Race Flash- BMS Intake - ER CP- Forge DVs- Active Autowerke intercooler- Gone

Activehybrid 3 - JB4 EWG/OBD current
(#44)
Old

Default 05-12-2016, 06:28 AM

well I just uploaded the JB4 firmware and newest pump BEF. The car went back to being lazy and laggy again. Guess I'm going to increase both 10 and 11 values. The good news is that my stupid overboost limp modes have gone away.

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#45)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-12-2016, 05:30 PM

If you have over boost faults something must be set wrong! Normally its menu4 being set to 2 instead of 3 with the OEM flash loaded.

Burger Motorsports

(#46)
Old

Default 05-12-2016, 05:45 PM

I have a BEF and menu 4 set properly. I get an overboost limp mode while cruising. I've gotten it 3 times I think. I can never catch it while logging. I have gotten it since I flashed the new BEF, updated firmware and moved menu 12 from 2800 to 2600

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#47)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 05-14-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwetish
Defult settings:
10-3000rpm
11-1000rpm
12-2800rpm
Are these jb4 default or stock ECU default settings?
How are these settings compared to non jb4 n54 and which settings will yield functioning of the wastegates similar to stock ECU ?
I tried the above jb4 default setings and I disliked it. Until 3000/3500 is like the wastegates are confused and don't know what position to take.
I read a lot of threads that are literally copy paste from your sticky threads but no where ai read how to setup 10,11&12 to be similar or equal to stock ECU
I apologize if this has been covered and would really appreaciate if I get uour answer.

If it matters the engine other than jb4 is completely factory.
4/2008 with 76k
Injectors index#12 and new spark plaugs at 75k
New oem turbos at 68k
Walnut blasting at 60k
So I just updated the firmware as of yesterday and saw this thread so I figured I would double check these default numbers. for menus's 10-12.

My question is does it matter what map you are on when you check/changes these?

I checked this morning with setting it to map 1 and then map 4. Either way my menu's were as follows:

10: 2500
11: 0
12:2500

I feel like I'm missing something here? should I change it and see how it runs and just go with trial and error? I just don't want to mess something up.
(#48)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Menu11 is the pedal input menu. I prefer a 0 setting there. Some like 5000rpm or somewhere in between. That is just drivers taste.

On menu10 and 12, if its working fine leave it. Or raise menu10 to say 4000rpm to see if you prefer that. No harm no foul. You can always change the settings back if you don't find something you prefer.

Burger Motorsports

(#49)
Old

Default 05-14-2016, 10:39 AM

The stock jb4 values didn't work for me at all. I tried various combanation and honestly there isn't value that actually works flawlessly. Either I don't like it or the n54 doesn't like it. I settled for 3000/2000/2500
(#50)
Old

Car: 2009 335ix 6spd
Default 05-15-2016, 10:25 AM

I have mine set at
10:5000
11:5000
12:2800
Map 5

I don't hear any wastegate rattle. Does this mean my turbo was previously fix by warranty? My car has 77k miles and i read somewhere that the wastegate rattle issue is covered up to 80k miles or 6 years. Anyone ever took it in for repair under warranty?