N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 09-04-2015, 04:22 PM

Thanks Terry.
Would it be possible to sample cyl 2-6 at the same rate than cyl1, as the MHD logger?

In my DCT bin used right now, the "disable torque reduction by ignition" is disabled, few other tweaks, and first results with higher ethanol mix seems to be promising.

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#52)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebila
Thanks Terry.
Would it be possible to sample cyl 2-6 at the same rate than cyl1, as the MHD logger?

In my DCT bin used right now, the "disable torque reduction by ignition" is disabled, few other tweaks, and first results with higher ethanol mix seems to be promising.
Sure, it could sample at 100hz like we sample boost if we wanted, assuming the DME would keep up, it's just a matter of priorities. Since there is no practical benefit to sampling cyl 2-6 at anything more than 5hz I'd rather spend those resources elsewhere.

I don't have the energy to read the thread especially so if Buraq is posting in it. But as a general best practice when tuning DCTs setup the back end flash so that calculated toque is higher than actual torque and you'll get the best possible performance from the DCT that way.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#53)
Old
Legend

Default 09-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Ok, so for JB4 logs, cyl 1 is the one to look at first.
Maybe choosing to log timing corrections for cyl 2-6 and cyl 1 raw timing is a better choice than raw timing for all 6 cylinders to avoid confusion for not JB4 users/tuners looking at jb4 logs.

(#54)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-04-2015, 04:39 PM

I don't see what the confusion would be. Did someone think that cyl1 is dropping for shift induced torque reduction but the other 5 cylinders are not moving identically? The only cylinder specific corrections that occur are the timing corrections that drop sharply and slowly return over a second or three. Those are what cyl 2-6 values are there to spot. When you see one cylinder below the rest and sloping back, you know that was a timing pull. You could probably slow the sampling down to 1hz and spot them just the same as 30hz.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#55)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 09-04-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebila
....Maybe because I don't lower as hard as others tuners the knock sensitivity tables, for safety reasons.
Just an FYI, those example logs I posted for you are logs taken on the COBB AccessPort not MHD. COBB ATR/ATP does not have access to the knock tables like MHD does, that's why I made sure to post only COBB logs to avoid these indirect speculative doubts.

As for @Musc MHD log he posted, his map migrated from COBB where I tuned him on, and then he migrated his calibrations over to MHD.

Just wanted to clarify...........I have no need to touch knock tables and can tune without them as I have been doing all this time on 300+ N54 cars world wide

Anyhow hope all goes well and success.....

2012 E89 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport MT
2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT
(#56)
Old
Legend

Default 09-05-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Not been following the conversation but PIDs like cyl1 timing are being sampled at 10hz and RAM access like cyl2-6 timing & corrections are being sampled at 3-5hz, depending on what else the JB4 is doing at that moment.
Martial just told me:
With MHD logger:
if you log 20 parameters, all of them are sampled at 16Hz with Kline, little less with D-CAN
if you log 30 parameters, all of them are sampled at 10Hz with K-line, little less with D-CAN

with JB4 logger:
cylinder #1 timing is sampled at 10Hz
cylinders #2 to #6 are sampled at 3-5 Hz, depending on what else the JB4 is doing at that moment.

Pretty clear for me.

all this "shift delay" or "timing lag" was nothing more than a wrong interpretation of a JB4 log from a standalone only tuner.

thanks Buraq, good luck.

(#57)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-05-2015, 08:36 AM

keep up the good work dude. I like tuner who tested and fine tuned their maps on their car first instead of using other people car as experiment. I worked with Tribelia before. He is a good guy and a safe tuner.

2008 e93 MODS: BMS JB4 G5 ISO, bms trunk, RB PVC, Lukeperformance flash, mount meth kit, OCC, ******* ********, VRSF 7" FMIC, charge pipe, DCI, Alpina flash,
(#58)
Old
Legend

Default 09-09-2015, 08:17 AM

thanks, guys, really appreciated.

here is a log from a famous turquish member ( ).
I started to work on his car in March, logs were awful.
Many many things were not working fine on his car, I helped him and his garage to fix all of them (injectors, cyl 6 misfire, meth flow issue, AT TCU not alpina compatible, and more...)

I can say I'm very proud of the job done with him, when I check the logs he was having before...

335xi AT with RBs, VTT inlets, FBO, MHD flasher, forged internals (a nightmare to tune because of false knock), straight crappy 90 oct turquish pump gas with 80/20 Meth flowing through 2xCM7 nozzles (E85 is not available in Turkey), not an easy job, as I had to run lower timing target than usual, because of forged internals giving a lot of false knock and crap 90 oct pump fuel giving real knock, countered by the meth:

Last edited by trebila; 09-09-2015 at 08:34 AM..
(#59)
Old

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 09-09-2015, 08:27 AM

I'd like to take this occasion to thank you David. The safest tuner I've ever seen.
Do more with less thanks to him !!

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, 93 octane,Meth injection, Forged Internals, Pure Stage 2 turbos, TFT inlet system, KW V3 Coilover, B3 Trans Flash.

Do more with less !
(#60)
Old

Default 09-10-2015, 07:58 AM

Hey guys, did you see my logs ? What a great log, hu ? Thank you

Full Bolt Ons, 93 octane,Meth injection, Forged Internals, Pure Stage 2 turbos, TFT inlet system, KW V3 Coilover, B3 Trans Flash.

Do more with less !
(#61)
Old

Default 09-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Why do you guys hesitate to make a comment ? Don't you still see that great log ? Yes it is great because I've been working with David for months

Do more with less !
(#62)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 09-10-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebrailbakan
Why do you guys hesitate to make a comment ? Don't you still see that great log ? Yes it is great because I've been working with David for months
lol, it looks good... are you the famous Turkish N54 owner?

M-Sport 135i - N54 - FBO - E60 - Mfactory LSD - MHD - JB4 - SPX Tuned
(#63)
Old

Default 09-10-2015, 08:23 AM

Yes bro I am !. Appreciated for your input. More comments ?

Do more with less !
(#64)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 09-10-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
...But as a general best practice when tuning DCTs setup the back end flash so that calculated toque is higher than actual torque and you'll get the best possible performance from the DCT that way.
Can anyone clarify how to achieve this? Which table(s) to increase.

Thanks

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, Fuel-it stage 2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.75@127mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#65)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 09-10-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS

Thanks
You have a few. There are factor tables for AFR and RPM that will multiply the torque output, or you can adjust load to torque limit tables directly.

2010 335ix - hybrids, cp, ic, inlets, outlets, jb4, pi, fuel-it stg3, backend flash
(#66)
Old

Default 09-10-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
You have a few. There are factor tables for AFR and RPM that will multiply the torque output, or you can adjust load to torque limit tables directly.
These tables:

http://i.imgur.com/YYvq3RW.png

Note, do not use these values.

2010 335ix - hybrids, cp, ic, inlets, outlets, jb4, pi, fuel-it stg3, backend flash
(#67)
Old
Legend

Default 09-10-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
These tables:

http://i.imgur.com/YYvq3RW.png

Note, do not use these values.
Thanks nyt,
I see you mentioning those tables in your thread on the transmission torque limits and timing pulls thread. How do you learn how to adjust these?
I've seen the Cobb document on what parameters mean and how the engines use load to target boost etc. That's just scratching the surface of this kind of tuning.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, Fuel-it stage 2

(#68)
Old

Default 09-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks nyt,
I see you mentioning those tables in your thread on the transmission torque limits and timing pulls thread. How do you learn how to adjust these?
I've seen the Cobb document on what parameters mean and how the engines use load to target boost etc. That's just scratching the surface of this kind of tuning.
You can view the calculated torque values in jb4 logs under the Duty Cycle column. Generally you want to bump these up for DCT as you were talking about. In my case with the XI/6AT I was hitting a torque limiting table that is either TCU based or not currently mapped in the XDF for MSD81, so I had to adjust these values to stay under that limit.

(#69)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 09-11-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks
I think you should get Trebila to tune your car mate.

I'm DCT, RB's, TFT, Meth, E60 and no slippage yet. However you're slipping on stock snails?

I'd put it down to your tune.
(#70)
Old
Legend

Default 09-11-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
I think you should get Trebila to tune your car mate.

I'm DCT, RB's, TFT, Meth, E60 and no slippage yet. However you're slipping on stock snails?

I'd put it down to your tune.
You are right, but I like to understand these things so I can do them myself and have more flexibility\adaptability.

(Oh no slip by the way. There was one log that looked like slip but timing on all cylinders had gone to 0. Some safety mechanism had kicked in. I've changed flashes since and it hasn't reoccurred.)

(#71)
Old
Legend

Default 09-11-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
You can view the calculated torque values in jb4 logs under the Duty Cycle column. Generally you want to bump these up for DCT as you were talking about. In my case with the XI/6AT I was hitting a torque limiting table that is either TCU based or not currently mapped in the XDF for MSD81, so I had to adjust these values to stay under that limit.
Hey thanks, this is invaluable to know for me with my transmission.

I can see values ranging up to 43. I'll read around this area as best as I can. So this is perceived torque. Now to get my head around finding the actual numbers

(#72)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 09-11-2015, 06:15 AM

I only started to cooperate with David and I must say he is a very good guy and responds instantly! He definitly deserves the money

E92 335i N54, Hexon RR500, JB4, DCI, ER chargepipe, Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV, ATM intercooler, Wagner downp*pes, custom exhaust, oil cooler, trebila flash (via MHD Flasher), E60, M Performance 370mm brakes, styling 313 wheels, M Performance suspension, Fuelit Stage2, MFactory LSD, MFactory SMWF
(#73)
Old

Default 09-11-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksebik
I only started to cooperate with David and I must say he is a very good guy and responds instantly! He definitly deserves the money
+100

Do more with less !
(#74)
Old
Legend

Default 09-12-2015, 03:33 AM

2010 335i AT, stock turbos, stock inlets, FBO, stage 2 lpfp, straight 93 pump gas, no meth, no E85:

stock knock tables untouched, of course.
map 5 with duty bias settings:

a 2-3-4 log:

Attached Files
File Type: csv 150912_0025.csv (8.1 KB, 156 views)
File Type: csv 150912_0024.csv (7.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by trebila; 09-12-2015 at 03:55 AM..
(#75)
Old

Default 09-12-2015, 03:37 AM

Great ! I would know that if one doesn't use ethanol he needn't do the lpfp upgrade! But here is the result

Do more with less !