N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 anti-lag feature details & videos - 08-24-2015, 09:15 PM

Hey guys,

This is the thread for discussion and details on the new JB4 anti-lag feature. This feature allows you to pull 25 degrees of timing on the fly using either the volumne button on your steering wheel or brake pedal to spool up the turbos before starting a race.
For example during a rolling race get close to the starting speed, press the volume down, floor the car, let boost build, and let go of the volume button to rocket away at full boost. It's really an exhilarating feeling. The larger the turbos the more fun it is!

Note this setup is experimental. We do not know whether or not it will cause any long term damage to your exhaust valves or turbine. But my gut feeling is that as long as its used with ethanol fuel and in moderation that there won't be any issues. Just keep in mind it's a racing part. And when you're racing sometimes you're breaking.

Order Link:

We've added the kit to our site on the n54 upgrades page: http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_JB4_upgrades.html

Results:

Anti-lag dyno testing on a large single turbo. Incredible spool improvement! http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33639

Install Guide:

1) Disconnect negative battery cable
2) Open the JB4 enclosure and using a small screwdriver pry out the chip closest to the data cable connector. It will be labeled 23k22 or 24k22. Insert the new chip and press it down in place.
3) Take apart the BMS data cable shell and insert the anti-lag wire in to spot #4. Reassemble connector or if you prefer throw the shell away and reattach to the JB4 using one of the smaller screws that was within the cable as shown below.
4) The other end of the wire has a male and female jumper that fits within the JB4 harness on the large black subconnector, spot #17, as numbered from the female side. The OEM wire that is routed to that slot is yellow/red.
5) Put the JB4 and harness back together and reattach the battery.
6) Update the JB4 to v31.4 or later firmware.
7) Make the flash file changes shown below. Note if using the github XDF you will need to modify the charge air temp timing range to go down to -25. Many table changes are required. We've added these changes to the E85 back end flash maps posted. If not using one of our E85 back end flash maps you'll need to make all the changes below manually in your BIN for the system to work properly.
8) To utilize the system select the gear you plan to start in, say 3rd gear at 40-50mph, press down on the volume button, press the gas pedal fully, and when you're ready to go let go of the volume button. When pressing both the gas pedal and button down IAT should drop to 21 degrees and timing will go negative in dash and in datalogs.
9) Note it's currently unknown whether or not this will long tern damage the turbos, motor, etc, so don't use this feature if you don't have a higher risk tolerance.

Cold Weather Update:
As a short update for you cold weather guys, we've made a logical change to the back end flash map that will allow the system to operate properly when temps dip below 32F.

The only catch is the anti-lag system may not trigger (e.g. IAT may not drop low enough when engaging) when temps warm up back to the 70s and higher. The original anti-lag wires have a 1.2k resistor inline to prevent the JB4 from causing a "intake temp sensor voltage too low" fault when anti-lag engages. We've since been able to disable this fault in the flash file and around 12/5/15 switched anti-lag kits to a 100ohm resistor. With the 100ohm resistor there will be no issues with the new logic from very warm to very cold weather.

Those with the original 1.2k resistor may want to cut it out and instead splice in a 100ohm come spring. Alternatively we've added the "wire only" as an order option to the anti-lag kit if you just need the new wire.

Videos:

Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 08-24-2015, 09:32 PM

That sounds awesome T. This will definitely come in handy.

135i - JB4 15ohm l Mr 5 Intake l AA C@tless ********* l ETS Intercooler l BMS Methanol Injection l Berk Tech Mids l Berk Tech Axleback l BMS OCC l ER CP l Turbosmart BOV's. SOLD

335i DCT - JB4 G5 ISO l AA C@tless ********* l ETS Intercooler l Custom Intake l Meth l BMS E85 Flash l BMS OCC l ER CP l Walbro 255 l Turbosmart BOV's. CURRENT
(#3)
Old

Car: n54 335
Default 08-24-2015, 09:38 PM

nice! now waiting on inlet specific maps! lol

751WHP 688WTQ
JP Works Kit Record
SOLD: E90 335i 751whp 688WTQ
CURRENT: E82 135i (under construction)
Visit my website VaderSolution.com !
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 08-24-2015, 09:40 PM

Sick rolling antilag

12' DCT 135i
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#5)
Old

Car: 335i coupe 6MT
Default 08-24-2015, 09:58 PM

We really need this ...

Brake boosting makes a hellva difference .. Before I didn't brake boost , I would lose by 1.5 cars with my friends FBO tuned c6.. When I brake boosted it was under 1/2 car or less .
(#6)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 08-24-2015, 10:22 PM

Sounds awesome! This would be so great for 1/2 mile shootouts.

2012 335is DCT - JB4 - Fuel-it! - MHD - FBO

144.7 mph Wannagofast GA halfmile shootout
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 08-25-2015, 12:35 AM

Terry,
thats fantastic!

couple questions:
1. can that(additionally) be used for MT-s to keep boost up during shifts?
2. will not car jerk when during regular driving changing volume?
3. "pressing up disables boost by gear on the fly (this previously was down)" is there any central knowledge base or something for all this tricks? i did not knew currently pressing volume down disables boost by gear function

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#8)
Old

Car: 2008 535xiT e61
Default 08-25-2015, 01:23 AM

This is pretty cool! Id love to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan-i
Terry,

couple questions:

2. will not car jerk when during regular driving changing volume?
I don't think you would necessarily notice the drop in timing unless WOT but +1

2008 e61 535xit: DCI, AR ***, VRSF 7" FMIC, no kittens w/ 1792 resonators, RB PCV, BMS meth kit w/ one 1.2mm aquamist nozzle, ER CP w/ TiAL bov, e45, BB e85 flash

1/8 mile in 7.9 seconds. 60' in 1.75 seconds.
(#9)
Old

Car: N54 135i
Default 08-25-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
3. "pressing up disables boost by gear on the fly (this previously was down)" is there any central knowledge base or something for all this tricks? i did not knew currently pressing volume down disables boost by gear function
X2 - it'd be great to get a list of FU options as well. It's hard to find all the options without going through pages and pages of posts.

2008 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // JB4 G5 Iso with E85 backend flash // str8shot Bluetooth enabled e85 content analyzer with JB4 integration // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downp|pes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm front spacers
(#10)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 08-25-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot
X2 - it'd be great to get a list of FU options as well. It's hard to find all the options without going through pages and pages of posts.
There is a FU list. It's the notes.txt you download with the firmware.
(#11)
Old

Default 08-25-2015, 07:48 AM

Awesome work Terry I'm glad you had the time to figure this out. If this works the way it does on my ls car you should had no problems building 10-15psi on a ST car without pushing through the brakes at the track. If traction issues are figured out the 10.99 barrier should be a thing of the past.

Last edited by Porky198; 08-26-2015 at 01:02 AM..
(#12)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 08-25-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot
Would also like to know all FU options...

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, Fuel-it stage 2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.75@127mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#13)
Old

Car: N54 135i
Default 08-25-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nniftyfour
Hey you're right! Thanks!

2008 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // JB4 G5 Iso with E85 backend flash // str8shot Bluetooth enabled e85 content analyzer with JB4 integration // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downp|pes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm front spacers
(#14)
Old

Car: 97 Supra
Default 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM

Sweet, does this mean we now have the rolling popcorn and flames?!
(#15)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM

, If you need a tester let me know. I'm heading to Mexico this weekend to do some runs

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with MHD E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#16)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 08-25-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nniftyfour
I missed this. Thanks!!!

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, Fuel-it stage 2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.75@127mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Was able to do a little more work on this.

I changed the trigger from the volume on the wheel to the brake pedal. The problem with the wheel button is its just extra complication when trying to race. If people are going to use in the real world it has to be easy to use and effective.

So the way it works now is you lightly tap the brake at the speed you want to start the race at, floor the gas pedal, boost builds, and then when you're ready to go just let your foot off the brake and you fly away at full boost.

I'll post a full DIY on how to set this up soon. It's really easy.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#18)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 08-25-2015, 02:22 PM

Is it possible to make the temp target lower for people who live in states that have seasons?

2010 335ix - hybrids, cp, ic, inlets, outlets, jb4, pi, fuel-it stg3, backend flash
(#19)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Was able to do a little more work on this.

I changed the trigger from the volume on the wheel to the brake pedal. The problem with the wheel button is its just extra complication when trying to race. If people are going to use in the real world it has to be easy to use and effective.

So the way it works now is you lightly tap the brake at the speed you want to start the race at, floor the gas pedal, boost builds, and then when you're ready to go just let your foot off the brake and you fly away at full boost.

I'll post a full DIY on how to set this up soon. It's really easy.
Obviously you meant brake
(#20)
Old

Default 08-25-2015, 02:26 PM

its interesting

so you race without pressing gas pedal?

can this feature be used when changing gears on MT to not lose boost?

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#21)
Old

Car: 2012 bmw 135i
Default 08-25-2015, 02:37 PM

i liked the button on the steering wheel is there anyway to select that as a trigger? the brake shouldnt be hard i just like having the power at your hand instead of the brake is all

<-- Click on pic for the build thread 1m bodywork,helixIC,ONE EIGHTY head lights, JB4,Seibon GTR hood , i carbon trunk,meth, BMS intake,black lines,CKS coil overs, Sparta Evolution 2 piece rotors , PURE Stage 2 Turbo, BBS FIR's coming
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-25-2015, 02:44 PM

lol fixed typo.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 08-25-2015, 02:45 PM

btw currently i anyways brake (and floor at the same time) on rolling races to build boost to the third honk

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-25-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
btw currently i anyways brake (and floor at the same time) on rolling races to build boost to the third honk
Works the same way but now you don't have to push brake as hard and can generate a lot more boost before going.

Same thing for automatics off the line. When brake boosting you can make a lot more boost now before pushing through the lights.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Car: 95 M3, 01 330i, 07 335i
Default 08-25-2015, 02:49 PM

so what's the triggering event here?

brake light circuit engaged and throttle = 100%?