N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-09-2015, 10:38 AM

FUD = 99 just locks the FF learning so you're not chasing down multiple variables while tuning. After you're done shaping the FF curve you'd set FUD back to 0 so the JB4 can scale the entire curve up or down based on conditions.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#52)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 05-09-2015, 10:51 AM

Perfect that's what I needed to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
FUD = 99 just locks the FF learning so you're not chasing down multiple variables while tuning. After you're done shaping the FF curve you'd set FUD back to 0 so the JB4 can scale the entire curve up or down based on conditions.
(#53)
Old

Car: bmw 335 e90 n54
Default 05-20-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
sorry for being ignorant here so after you have made changes to duty bias you leave those changes as they are and then set FUD to 0
then log again is this correct
(#54)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 05-20-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc 335
sorry for being ignorant here so after you have made changes to duty bias you leave those changes as they are and then set FUD to 0
then log again is this correct
From what I gathered ...

Quote:
Lock it -> Shape it -> Unlock it
(#55)
Old

Car: bmw 335 e90 n54
Default 05-20-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21spike
From what I gathered ...

Lock it -> Shape it -> Unlock it
thank you
(#56)
Old

Car: 09' 335i
Default 05-25-2015, 08:29 AM

I did a little tuning with FF yesterday. I have to say its THE feature the JB was missing. Its tough tailoring 1 piggyback for every type of turbo and manifold out there. I still have a little fine tuning to do but it hits target and holds it all the way to redline. Before it was under the curve till 5500 rpm and then above to redline.

Everything was looking good log wise so i started raising the boost. In the end i was trying to target 26Psi not 25 hence the deviation in target. It holds 26 +or- .3 psi from 4200-7000 which im happy about. The logs exaggerate that a little but oh well

Before and after
Attached Images

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV O2 sensor retro kits!

335i 2010 e92 M-sport Mods: VM Top mount 6466, Aquamist HSF4 w/custom direct port. VRSF IC + Exhaust
335i 2009 e90 665RWHP VFF900 ST RIP .
(#57)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Car: 335i
Default 05-25-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR
I did a little tuning with FF yesterday. I have to say its THE feature the JB was missing. Its tough tailoring 1 piggyback for every type of turbo and manifold out there. I still have a little fine tuning to do but it hits target and holds it all the way to redline. Before it was under the curve till 5500 rpm and then above to redline.

Everything was looking good log wise so i started raising the boost. In the end i was trying to target 26Psi not 25 hence the deviation in target. It holds 26 +or- .3 psi from 4200-7000 which im happy about. The logs exaggerate that a little but oh well

Before and after
See if you get a clear answer ....
we must put FUD = 99, we adjust and everything is ok, replace FUD = 0
Is it right?

Time is the best teacher

Too bad it kills all its pupils ....
(#58)
Old

Car: 09' 335i
Default 05-25-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity
See if you get a clear answer ....
we must put FUD = 99, we adjust and everything is ok, replace FUD = 0
Is it right?
Yes. Mine is still locked out at the moment but once im 100% happy i'll reactivate it.. The global FF setting will raise the hole bar uniformly but it wont adjust independent RPM set points. For instance my target is 25psi although i raised the duty bias to achieve 26psi if i were to leave the target at 25 and set FUD=0 it would lower my whole boost curve to 25 but with the same boost profile that i defined.

My advise on adjusting duty boas is to first lower PID gain to about 15 to prevent the JB from over compensating.

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV O2 sensor retro kits!

335i 2010 e92 M-sport Mods: VM Top mount 6466, Aquamist HSF4 w/custom direct port. VRSF IC + Exhaust
335i 2009 e90 665RWHP VFF900 ST RIP .
(#59)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Car: 335i
Default 05-25-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR
Yes. Mine is still locked out at the moment but once im 100% happy i'll reactivate it.. The global FF setting will raise the hole bar uniformly but it wont adjust independent RPM set points. For instance my target is 25psi although i raised the duty bias to achieve 26psi if i were to leave the target at 25 and set FUD=0 it would lower my whole boost curve to 25 but with the same boost profile that i defined.

My advise on adjusting duty boas is to first lower PID gain to about 15 to prevent the JB from over compensating.
I have set the PID = 10

Time is the best teacher

Too bad it kills all its pupils ....
(#60)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM

So if I set PID=15 and then adjusted the FF and DB to my liking, I would set FUD back to 0 to lock in the changes I have made and allow FF to adjust itself accordingly? Since I adjusted PID, that's the main variable that would keep things "tuned" rather than relearning back to what it was before? Just making sure I have this down correctly before I go in and start fooling with things lol

~JB4 G5 iso~BMS E85 Backend Flash~VTT Inlets~BMS DCI~BMS Low Temp Thermostat~BMS OCC~BMS Modified Clutch Valve~BMS Clutch Stop~335is Clutch~ER Competition FMIC Kit w/ HKS SSQV~3"AR **'s~3" Custom exhaust~RB PCV Valve~SteveAZ Stage 2 Bucket~Avant Garde M359 18x8.5 +35 18x9.5 +33~
(#61)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 05-27-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV135i
So if I set PID=15 and then adjusted the FF and DB to my liking, I would set FUD back to 0 to lock in the changes I have made and allow FF to adjust itself accordingly? Since I adjusted PID, that's the main variable that would keep things "tuned" rather than relearning back to what it was before? Just making sure I have this down correctly before I go in and start fooling with things lol
If you change the RPM based duty cycle to a number other than 0 or 50 it will stay locked in and not change even when setting FUD back to 0 from 2.

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with MHD E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#62)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 08-21-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You'd start by evaluating your logs (pwm vs. FF) to see if you even need to bother making any adjustments.
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a PWM and FF gap in the lower RPMS. It happens in any gear, map or bb flash. Alot of unused power here as you will see in my logs. On WOT from a stop i can feel the initial lack in boost and this is with DSC completely off. However, this happens when im already traveling at speeds too. Can anyone tell me whats happening or assist me in fine tuning this area a little better. The logs are with e60 on e85 tune. Thank you. Also, this was using DME targets. On these runs i forgot to use option 4/2 flash targets but the same thing happens here too.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2015-08-10 12_49_03.csv (315.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: csv 2015-08-10 13_57_00.csv (88.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: csv 2015-08-10 14_07_33.csv (81.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by brakthru; 08-21-2015 at 01:31 PM..
(#63)
Old

Default Logs - 08-21-2015, 01:51 PM

It seems to be worse in lower gears. Sorry I couldn't upload photos. This site says a security token is missing and won't allow the upload.
(#64)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-21-2015, 02:28 PM

Turbos need to spool up before FF takes effect. That is part of the problem here. You're trying to evaluate FF while the turbos are not fully spooled. You can tell you're in spool mode when PWM is very high.

In this case raising FF down low might help a tiny bit but there are physical issues keeping boost below target on tip in. Spool speed being one of those.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#65)
Old

Default 08-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Turbos need to spool up before FF takes effect. That is part of the problem here. You're trying to evaluate FF while the turbos are not fully spooled. You can tell you're in spool mode when PWM is very high.

In this case raising FF down low might help a tiny bit but there are physical issues keeping boost below target on tip in. Spool speed being one of those.
Quote:

Terry,
Any idea what other physical conditions could be the problem? Most of my logs from the past don't show this behavior. You think adjusting DWP may help or could it be a TMAP sensor problem. Thanks.
(#66)
Old

Car: F30 335i xdrive
Default 12-23-2015, 11:40 AM

Hi Terry,

My PWM curve is always higher than my FF curve, as this thread states:

FF adjust the height of the curve
DB adjust height of the curve locally (by rpm)

The shape of my PWM and FF are similar, just height difference. Then I try to set FF=150, but my FF is still not as high as my PWM curve, and I am always under target.

Does it indicate boost leak? Or boost target is too high for this turbo?

My car is F30 335xi PWG stage 1 turbo
FBO+meth, Ron 98 fuel, 3.5TMAP

PID=10 FOL=40

Please help and thanks for your valuable advise!

My csv files are in this thread:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35831
Attached Images

(#67)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM

Tuning an N55 is different than tuning an N54. The N55 needs as much duty cycle as it can take. And your v8.13 integrated firmware doesn't really have the same duty bias tuning functionality... You should be asking questions in the N55 large turbo thread.

Burger Motorsports

(#68)
Old

Car: F30 335i xdrive
Default 12-23-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Tuning an N55 is different than tuning an N54. The N55 needs as much duty cycle as it can take. And your v8.13 integrated firmware doesn't really have the same duty bias tuning functionality... You should be asking questions in the N55 large turbo thread.
Thanks Terry, that's why I never made it, I will make all DB=0, buy a OBDII cable, download a OBDII CANbus firmware and starts from there. Thanks for your help!
(#69)
Old

Car: 320i
Default 01-22-2016, 04:56 PM

Hi experts,

I have a BMW 320i, N20 engime.
I'm using the custom map 6, but I'm little conserned with my shifts gears.
When I shift 2nd to 3rd I can feel That the car gets a "hole", like he get into and get out there in instants. The shift is not soft !

With map 4, the gear changes are ok.

Do exist any parameter that I can change to make it better ??

Thanks
(#70)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 04-11-2016, 03:58 PM

Was there much more involvement here? Or has the progress being made with the BEF, and firmware made this a little less relevant?

2007 335i 4dr JB4, Hexon RR600, Inlets, 4Bar, Index 12, Boost Concept Pump, DCI, FMIC, ** and full exhaust, Burger Meth, MHD BEF. Auto.
(#71)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 05-12-2016, 07:46 AM

Well this was a great read. Thanks Terry.

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#72)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCuda
Was there much more involvement here? Or has the progress being made with the BEF, and firmware made this a little less relevant?
Duty bias tuning is still an important part of dialing in larger turbos or cars with too tight or too loose wastegates, for those interested to really optimize their car.

Burger Motorsports

(#73)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 05-12-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Duty bias tuning is still an important part of dialing in larger turbos or cars with too tight or too loose wastegates, for those interested to really optimize their car.
Learned that for sure. I think I have the DB's set about perfect now.

2007 335i 4dr JB4, Hexon RR600, Inlets, 4Bar, Index 12, Boost Concept Pump, DCI, FMIC, ** and full exhaust, Burger Meth, MHD BEF. Auto.
(#74)
Old

Car: n55
Default 05-19-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Does DB tuning offer much for those still on stock turbo n55?
Also Terry, I noticed that PWM is all zero'd on my F series.
(#75)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-20-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc67065
Does DB tuning offer much for those still on stock turbo n55?
Also Terry, I noticed that PWM is all zero'd on my F series.
Each application has its own thing going on. With the F series stock turbo there isn't much need in most cases. With F series larger turbos then it can be beneficial.

Burger Motorsports