N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: bmw 335 e90 n54
Default 04-15-2015, 03:13 AM

after you done with duty bias settings and are happy with the result do you leave FUD at 99 and just save the settings or do you put FUD at 0 and save settings
(#27)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 04-15-2015, 06:38 AM

Love the informative nature of this thread Terry!

If you are running a custom flash, and you play around with these PWM/FF parameters - does anything with the backend flash need to change to accomodate?
(#28)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM

The flash parameters have no effect on boost control in an ISO setup.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-16-2015, 11:03 PM

Whats the minimum increment for Duty Bias. Is it 5 or can we split the difference and go say 43%?

Also Duty Cycle is DME WGDC correct?
(#30)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 04-17-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nniftyfour
Whats the minimum increment for Duty Bias. Is it 5 or can we split the difference and go say 43%?

Also Duty Cycle is DME WGDC correct?
I am going to assume it's like a lot of the other parameters where you can type whatever you want. I have never tried decimal values, though.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM7) | BMS Intake

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PURE Stage 2 N54 Turbos | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#31)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 04-19-2015, 07:11 PM

Any chance this will be available for N55s?
(#32)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-19-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weehe
Any chance this will be available for N55s?
Sure, we've got it in a version of the N55 ISO firmware. Although, generally speaking, the N55 is sitting at PWM = 100% most of the time due to its undersized turbo. So there is much less need for this sort of thing.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#33)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 04-19-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Sure, we've got it in a version of the N55 ISO firmware. Although, generally speaking, the N55 is sitting at PWM = 100% most of the time due to its undersized turbo. So there is much less need for this sort of thing.
Makes sense. Was hoping it could help squeeze out more boost if we could lower PWM while keeping boost the same. But it will help the stage 2 people I bet.
(#34)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 04-25-2015, 07:10 PM

Terry,I have OLF disabled with custom flash set up with that.Is it possible for me to tune FF/Duty Bias with OLF disabled also?Can that be done.Or a custom flash wont work with this?

E90 SEDAN '08
-STOCK TURBOS FBO AT*FSB G5 ISO*90/10%METH*CM14 Nozzle*FUEL iT!STAGE 2*ALPiNA FLASH-
-NGK 5992 PLUGS*BMS OCC*RB VALVE-
-E85 MHD FLASH-
(#35)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2015, 08:40 PM

Setting open loop to 0 disables open loop and its learning process. Although a flash that has trims set properly should never see open loop adjust on its own. This only happens when fuel trims are > 33%.

Burger Motorsports

(#36)
Old

Car: e92 335i -07
Default 04-26-2015, 12:46 PM

Thanks Terry, good info!

For what I know from about industrial PID tuning, it's really not a walk in the park without experience. More likely you'll end up to some kind of that will do setup. From what I can see from the logs you really know your stuff.

IMO: now the vital JB4 info is scattered around this forum and you have to scroll through all the 100+ page threads, passing "do I have to cut the diodes" questions. why don't we have downloadable pdf which have all this good stuff in one package?
(#37)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2015, 03:29 PM

The JB4 has been setup to making this tuning as easy as possible for end users who wish to dive in to it. You have a few high leverage variables with many complex hidden tables behind them you never have to deal with.

On the info we try to organize the good stuff in references off the sticky. This thread will be included with that. If users choose to read beyond the first posts then of course the signal:noise ratio will be greatly reduced.

Burger Motorsports

(#38)
Old

Car: 06 STI
Default 04-29-2015, 04:32 PM

Does this new software allow for safe use stacked with the cobb?? I have the cobb already but would like the jb4 strictly for the launch control.
(#39)
Old
Legend

Default 05-01-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing
Does this new software allow for safe use stacked with the cobb?? I have the cobb already but would like the jb4 strictly for the launch control.
Sure. Just don't use the Cobb OTS maps cause they suck balls with (or without) the JB4. Hit up Terry for his current Cobb flash maps. That's what I use. Flashing takes less than one minute

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM7) | BMS Intake

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PURE Stage 2 N54 Turbos | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#40)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing
We're no longer updating any Cobb N54 back end flash maps. Sell it and switch to MHD or BB. Both are much cheaper and more versatile.

Burger Motorsports

(#41)
Old

Car: 06 STI
Default 05-03-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We're no longer updating any Cobb N54 back end flash maps. Sell it and switch to MHD or BB. Both are much cheaper and more versatile.
I like my cobb im not selling it. I just want launch control. I bought the n2mb wotbox but im not hacking into my cars wires for that...not worth the risks
(#42)
Old
Legend

Default 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM

Terry,

This thread says that the DUTY BIAS stuff was implemented in 28.8, but the firmware thread says it was implemented in 28.6.

Can you confirm which one it was first introduced?

(#43)
Old

Default 05-08-2015, 02:47 PM

I went out today and played with this a little. My question is, if we go in and make adjustments to DB do we want to leave the FF at 50 to disable it from making adjustments? I didn't set my FF to 50 and it was moving all over the place!
(#44)
Old
Legend

Default 05-08-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicktime
I went out today and played with this a little. My question is, if we go in and make adjustments to DB do we want to leave the FF at 50 to disable it from making adjustments? I didn't set my FF to 50 and it was moving all over the place!
Your global FF value will always move (unless locked with FUD=99). The Duty Bias values are like "local" FF values. They do not change (on their own).

DB values of 50 are in the "middle". You can go up to 100 or down to 0, in increments of about 5 (from my experience).

0 and 50 provide the same result, which "ignores" any Duty Bias and only goes based on the global FF value.

(#45)
Old

Default 05-08-2015, 02:57 PM

On Terrys first log he set the FF wastegate adaption to 50, to keep it from moving. So my question is is do you keep it at 50 if you are going to modify the DB on your own?
(#46)
Old
Legend

Default 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
On Terrys first log he set the FF wastegate adaption to 50, to keep it from moving. So my question is is do you keep it at 50 if you are going to modify the DB on your own?
What he didn't specifically say was that he hard-coded it to 50 BY USING FUD=99.

I think his email to me prior to posting the firmware was very clear. His first couple posts were very informative, but a little confusing if reading it prior to playing with this stuff.

Here are some snippets from his emails to me:

"The custom FF tuning may come in handy for you too. Below 50 reduces FF and above 50 increases it."

"The way this works is you adjust FF by RPM using the [Duty Bias] curves. So setting all 50s to 60s would raise the entire curve, for example. If you need more or less at certain RPMs then just raise or lower those values."

(#47)
Old

Default 05-08-2015, 03:21 PM

Yea I'm a little confused. I think that if you are going to adjust the FF in the DB then the Wastegate adaption needs to be lock at 50. Because if you don't it will adjust to undo what adjusted.
(#48)
Old
Legend

Default 05-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yea I'm a little confused. I think that if you are going to adjust the FF in the DB then the Wastegate adaption needs to be lock at 50. Because if you don't it will adjust to undo what adjusted.
No, this assumption is wrong.

The reason for the Duty Bias is to tweak the FF component by RPM, instead of just by a global value. The JB4 was limited in it's boost control for certain customers (including myself) at specific RPM's. I had a hard time maintaining boost target at high RPM, and at high boost levels. On Map 7 I wouldn't have a problem, but on Map 3 with a boost additive totaling over 20 PSI, I needed additional FF.

The problem with just raising the FF was that I would be overboosting at the lower RPM's.

Let FF do its thing. Adjust your Duty Bias as needed. Simple as that.

(#49)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Car: 335i
Default 05-09-2015, 12:18 AM

Suppose I put FUD = 99 and I have adjusted perfectly curves [duty bias].

If then we FUD = 0 again, all you have adjusted ignore it? Would the JB4 to control everything without considering what we have done ?.

That is, does it make sense adjust FUD = 99 if then you're going to leave it FUD = 0?

It is to find out for sure.
regards

Time is the best teacher

Too bad it kills all its pupils ....
(#50)
Old
Legend

Default 05-09-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity
Suppose I put FUD = 99 and I have adjusted perfectly curves [duty bias].

If then we FUD = 0 again, all you have adjusted ignore it? Would the JB4 to control everything without considering what we have done ?.

That is, does it make sense adjust FUD = 99 if then you're going to leave it FUD = 0?

It is to find out for sure.
regards
Duty Bias changes the SHAPE of the curve.

FF changes the HEIGHT of the curve.

I would not use FUD = 99 until you fully understand all of this stuff and can see what's happening. Personally, I do not use it at all (but I have for testing purposes).