N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-11-2015, 07:35 PM

I got the software up and running and so far it works as advertised. Maps I've loaded function exactly as they do under the BB & Cobb environment. Only, with a little more flexibility than than we have via the free environment.

I initially was not thrilled with the licensing model but now that I've had a few days to think about it I've realized MHD will need to provide some level of support for this. So while charge per VIN wouldn't be how I'd structure pricing I can respect the model.

I'll discuss working out a special price for BMS customers who are only using this system to load JB4 back end flash maps. Maybe the system can send a ping out and the JB4 respond via CANbus to enable that special license. And for those who want to do their own tuning the existing pricing model seems reasonable compared to what Cobb charges. For those using the BB software currently we'll continue to support & develop those maps as free open source options.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#27)
Old

Car: 07 335i e90
Default 03-12-2015, 11:06 AM

With the MHD flasher are u able to just load the current BB back end flashes?
(#28)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM

The current BB flash maps can be loaded directly.

For those who run > 18psi, the race logic in this system will allow us to produce an improved version of the back end flash maps specifically for higher boost levels. I'm starting to work on that now. So far no issues having the flash map observe up to 20psi. If anyone is testing out the MHD stuff in a JB4 back end flash map format drop me an email.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 03-12-2015, 01:02 PM

I'am.

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#30)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 03-12-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The current BB flash maps can be loaded directly.

For those who run > 18psi, the race logic in this system will allow us to produce an improved version of the back end flash maps specifically for higher boost levels. I'm starting to work on that now. So far no issues having the flash map observe up to 20psi. If anyone is testing out the MHD stuff in a JB4 back end flash map format drop me an email.
Question about the bolded part

Will the revisions to the back end flash maps, such as 22psi boost limit and increased torque monitor limits be able to flash thru the BT cable with the BB software?
OR
Will one have to purchase the $99 flasher module + $69 Monitor module + android device and various cables?

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: JB4 G5 w/BMS E85 Flash, quaife LSD, RB Inlets, BMS Meth, AA 6Ē IC, BMS Charge Pipe: 11.9@118mph 421hp/466tq (stock intake, stock exhaust)
Company Car: 991 GT3 RSR
(#31)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-12-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED

Will the revisions to the back end flash maps, such as 22psi boost limit and increased torque monitor limits be able to flash thru the BT cable with the BB software?
OR
Will one have to purchase the $99 flasher module + $69 Monitor module + android device and various cables?
It's a unique basically closed flash platform, similar to Cobb. Each car flashed has to have a VIN license. In terms of what a JB4 owner will need to purchase to load one of these maps via their system, I don't know yet. I'm trying to work out special pricing with MHD for JB4 owners who want to load our high load back end flash maps. You can't load a high load map designed for the MHD system via the free software. But we'll maintain normal load versions of all back end flash maps for those of us using the free flash tool.

Burger Motorsports

(#32)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 03-12-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
It's a unique basically closed flash platform, similar to Cobb. Each car flashed has to have a VIN license. In terms of what a JB4 owner will need to purchase to load one of these maps via their system, I don't know yet. I'm trying to work out special pricing with MHD for JB4 owners who want to load our high load back end flash maps. You can't load a high load map designed for the MHD system via the free software. But we'll maintain normal load versions of all back end flash maps for those of us using the free flash tool.
I understand,

I will be very interested in back end flash maps for the JB4 via MHD, Iíll be ok buying their modules and can borrow my dadís Galaxy S5. However if there is a price for each map (pump, race, E85) it will be hard to justify the cost especially on stock turbos where the gains are marginal (at least from the descriptions and features listed)

Keep us updated, I hope everything works out!

Garage Queen: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Vortech Supercharger, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Sway-bars, RS4 brakes and rear BBK, Fast Intentions - Full Exhaust, 505AWTQ 0-60: 3.8s
Daily Driver: E92 335i N54: JB4 G5 w/BMS E85 Flash, quaife LSD, RB Inlets, BMS Meth, AA 6Ē IC, BMS Charge Pipe: 11.9@118mph 421hp/466tq (stock intake, stock exhaust)
(#33)
Old

Default 03-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I understand,

I will be very interested in back end flash maps for the JB4 via MHD, Iíll be ok buying their modules and can borrow my dadís Galaxy S5. However if there is a price for each map (pump, race, E85) it will be hard to justify the cost especially on stock turbos where the gains are marginal (at least from the descriptions and features listed)

Backend maps are free. They have always been free.
(#34)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 03-12-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
Backend maps are free. They have always been free.
Regular maps yes, but what about maps via MHD flashing modules?

if free perfect!

(#35)
Old

Default 03-12-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Regular maps yes, but what about maps via MHD flashing modules?

if free perfect!
MHD supports both free and paid maps so you can pick what you want.
(#36)
Old

Car: 07 335i AT
Default 03-13-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:

OR
Actually for back ends you don't need the logger module.

Terry, Trebila don't you think current backends can be improved due to the modifiable torque tables, even when targeting no more than 18 PSI?
Martial

Last edited by MHD; 03-13-2015 at 01:03 AM..
(#37)
Old
Legend

Default 03-13-2015, 01:39 AM

my MHD backend I'm developping since a week is already heavily modified, compared to the BB backend.

(#38)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 03-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD
if all that's needed is a flasher module and a cable I'm on board
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebila
my MHD backend I'm developing since a week is already heavily modified, compared to the BB backend.
talk is cheap, post logs...haha JK

(#39)
Old
Legend

Default 03-13-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
talk is cheap, post logs...haha JK

(#40)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 03-13-2015, 08:53 AM

Nice log, good timing recovery!

(#41)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I understand,

The JB4 back end flash maps have always been free and will continue to be free. You'll just need a license from MHD to flash via that system.

Burger Motorsports

(#42)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD

Terry, Trebila don't you think current backends can be improved due to the modifiable torque tables, even when targeting no more than 18 PSI?
Martial
It's difficult to say. It certainly can't hurt, and I think the low throttle mapping changes we can do with the torque monitor set to 1.0 will be an improvement. But the biggest issue facing flash tuning in general I think is false knock. For some reason when reshaping the load curve seen by the DME curves that drop load more aggressively to redline have less instances of timing drops post shift than curves that hold load to redline. Despite boost, timing, AFR, VANOS, etc, being unchanged in those areas. So this causes us to run wonky load targets like 200 tapering to 130 at redline to avoid timing drops. Which in turn leads to more work on the tuning end to make curves like that work. Part of that work is spoofing torque up as a function of load so the trans will shift well. But if we could eliminate the root issue then things could be a lot cleaner on the flash end.

Burger Motorsports

(#43)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 03-14-2015, 01:08 PM

I would love to have special price for MHD flasher, for BMS backend flash

any news about it?
I dont plan to go beyond BMS

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#44)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-14-2015, 03:26 PM

On timing, for example, here are two runs with similar boost curves. Both running 10psi off a WG spring on 100% E85. Actual boost reported back to the DME is the same in both logs and neither log gets up to the DME load target.

One has an internal load target of 200 all across, the other 200 tapering to 135 at redline. The one with the taper has normal timing while the one with 200 all across has massive timing issues including post shift drops. Why load target effects the timing behavior even when not running boost anywhere near that target continues to baffle me.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#45)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 03-14-2015, 03:52 PM

i definitely want to became beta tester
what do i need to do?

levanime at gmail.com

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#46)
Old

Default 03-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Oh, I would be all over this. Looking forward to the backends being available.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#47)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 03-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
On timing, for example, here are two runs with similar boost curves. Both running 10psi off a WG spring on 100% E85. Actual boost reported back to the DME is the same in both logs and neither log gets up to the DME load target.

One has an internal load target of 200 all across, the other 200 tapering to 135 at redline. The one with the taper has normal timing while the one with 200 all across has massive timing issues including post shift drops. Why load target effects the timing behavior even when not running boost anywhere near that target continues to baffle me.
one of the n54s greatest mysteries

e92
(#48)
Old

Car: E90 LCI 335i
Default 03-15-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I think the low throttle mapping changes we can do with the torque monitor set to 1.0 will be an improvement.
Hi Terry. Which table are you referring to exactly?
(#49)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM

If you email me I can reply with the current IJE0S single turbo file I'm testing.

Burger Motorsports

(#50)
Old

Default 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM

So, I understand this is in beta testing, can we get a flasher module? Or do us that are wanting to use JB4/backend have to wait until release.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread