N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: NA
Default Steptronic Alpina B3 Flash review. - 03-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Just had my trans flashed with the Alpina program yesterday. Figured I'd post up a review for those who are on the fence.

First, it was only $50 to have it done.

The program makes the car shift smoother, quicker, and crisper in general. You get visibility to what gear you are in on the display in D or S mode, and M of course.

D mode is transformed into almost an "Eco" mode where it very quickly tries to upshift as fast as possible. This works for me in a daily commute setting, but takes a bit to get used to. I am at 6th by 40 mph in some cases. Almost feels like a CVT when accelerating, bangs through the middle gears very quickly. This is much different than the slow, clunky , awkward, lurching normal D program.

S mode is nuts. Very very quick shifts and holds onto gears as long as you have a bit of throttle on it. Rev matching downshifts are much more precise now too.

Manual mode is also nuts. The delay on the old program when shifting is non existing, basically instant shifting.

I'd totally recommend this to anyone with a Step. No disadvantages in my book, but I can see how some people wouldn't like the new D program because of the constant upshifting.

I was originally skeptical of the reliability, but it seems the Alpina B3 uses the same hardware as our cars but with this program, so it should preserve reliability.

Alpina Flash+ Kickdown blocker+ M3 DCT shift knob= for Steptronic owners
(#2)
Old

Car: 2009 335i coupe
Default 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM

I've seen a lot of people mention that it shift into 6th around 40 mph so I went out and paid attention to mine when it shifts and it's usually in 6th by 45 mph unless I'm in the throttle a bit. Normal, easy driving or cruising at 45 and it's in 6th so there is not much difference. I wish someone near me could do it, I would love to give it a try. No one near and I'm afraid to brick my 'puter.
(#3)
Old

Default 03-17-2014, 05:35 PM

I had mine done remotely. If you have a basic cable for coding and a laptop it can be done anywhere. Really easy, about 20 mins total. Anyone can PM me for more info if they are interested in it.

:thumbsup:
(#4)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 03-18-2014, 04:19 AM

It's actually a pretty easy + free DIY once you have a cable and old laptop. The cable + assorted software you have to set up is useful for other diagnostic, coding, and programming things, not to mention enhancing general knowledge of your car and its software systems.

I did it myself and glad I did, learning curve a bit steep at first but have a greater appreciation for what's going on in all those black boxes.

If you are not a curious or a DIY type def still get it done, good mod.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335xi E90 N55
Default 03-18-2014, 10:26 AM

I had mine done remotely. Didn't want to risk bricking the transmission. I also used wired gigabit Ethernet, had the car on a charger, and had a full charge on the laptop with it plugged in. They say that sometimes anti-virus or firewall programs can slow down the flash. I used an old pentium laptop running Windows 7, and it flashed in a couple of minutes. I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. Once you get used to the shift timing (which is fast), you can cruise by and shift in a way that someone on the street would think it was a stick shift.

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4 ISO 5.5, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel (Fuel Rail Pressure) Wires, Wheel Lock Set, Ethanol Content Sensor - No problems up to E70 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
(#6)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi e92
Default 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM

$30 ebay INPA cable, and a quick email and donation to wedgeperformace@gmail.com will get you everything you need.

2008 e92 335xi *Sport-Cold Weather-Premium*

Performance Mods*JB4 G5 iso(Flash Only)*BMS DCI*VRSF 7" FMIC*VRSF 3" ****BMW Performance Exhaust*VRSF 3" Charge Pipe W/ Tial BOV*Wedge Custom Tune via MHD Flasher*Alpina trans flash*Fuel-it Stage 2*RB PCV Valve*NGK Laser Iridium plugs(.022)*Eibach Springs*Kickdown Blocker*BMS Cabin Filters*BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#7)
Old

Default 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM

So people that have this flash, did you reset the Trans adaptations via INPA after the alpina flash? There's a comment on the other thread saying that has to be done.
(#8)
Old

Car: e92 335xi
Default 03-20-2014, 04:12 AM

It doesn't have to be done it is probably a good idea to. Also the "gas pedal reset" is not what people mean by reset TCU adaptations. That has to be done with INPA or similar
(#9)
Old
metanol pawa!!

Car: 335i
Default 03-20-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo Tim
$30 ebay INPA cable, and a quick email and donation to wedgeperformace@gmail.com will get you everything you need.
You can also follow the DIY that is very easy

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20991

Time is the best teacher

Too bad it kills all its pupils ....
(#10)
Old

Default 03-23-2014, 10:33 AM

Had my TCU flashed yesterday and overall its very good, but honestly D mode is pretty meh as mentioned. Frankly I don't like D mode at all.

But I'm in DS mode 90% of the time anyway so its kind of moot for me. Shifts harder, faster and 100% better shifting maps.

I do like that S mode shifts into 6th gear now also, where with the stock software the trans would hold 5th in S mode and never shift into 6th.

S mode 10/10

D mode 2/10

2008 E90 6AT

JB4 | DCI | VRSF FMIC | VRSF 3" ** | E85
(#11)
Old

Default 03-23-2014, 10:38 AM

Yeah. D is kinda annoying but its super smooth, not great if you want to go anywhere quickly.

To me, the benefits in M and S modes are worth dealing with the sub optimal D. I've read that its possible to adjust torque maps to help fix this, perhaps there is something we can do with lagfix settings? Or maybe through the backend flash?
(#12)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM

So with this, S uses all gears?

09 335XI /Cobb ATR TUNED 18.5 psi/DCI/2ND ***** '''''''/E20/Alpina/VRSF 7inch/VRSF Chargepipe with Tial BOV***
(#13)
Old

Default 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat
So with this, S uses all gears?
yeah, the Alpina DS will shift into 6th around 75 if you are light on the throttle for 10 seconds or so.

2008 E90 6AT

JB4 | DCI | VRSF FMIC | VRSF 3" ** | E85
(#14)
Old

Car: 98 Vette 734 whp, 08 335i e90 n54
Default 09-11-2017, 08:28 PM

Subscribed

Thanks,Matt