N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: 135', E46 M3, E36 M3, S13
Default 10-16-2013, 12:00 PM

A wired option would be great and would probably increase the amount of people purchasing and using your app. Perhaps use a female to female usb connector to join the datalog usb cable and an iPhone cord together?

'08 SGM 135i | '12 C63 AMG | '95 S14 | '93 S13 | '90 S13 | '89 S13 | '80 Spitfire
(#52)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 135i
Default 10-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTrill
A wired option would be great and would probably increase the amount of people purchasing and using your app. Perhaps use a female to female usb connector to join the datalog usb cable and an iPhone cord together?
The female-female usb is much more difficult (if it can be done at all with the way Apple deals with hardware accesories for iOS). The wireless option will allow you to connect it, stow it under your dash somewhere, and connect without running a long cable from underneath your dash. This makes for a nice solution if you have your device mounted to your windshield.

2008 135i 4L80E Swap - 807 WHP
VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For all JB4 Mobile/Connect Kit requests, email me at: support@jb4connectkit.com
(#53)
Old

Car: grocery getter
Default 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacpro91
The female-female usb is much more difficult (if it can be done at all with the way Apple deals with hardware accesories for iOS). The wireless option will allow you to connect it, stow it under your dash somewhere, and connect without running a long cable from underneath your dash. This makes for a nice solution if you have your device mounted to your windshield.
The joys of an Android Device
(#54)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 10-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54mike
the joys of an android device
not ,

2008 BMW 535i
JB4 G5, BMS Pump Flash, ( Updated FW ), DCI,
Eisenmann Race Exhaust
ER CP
E60 **
450 HP / 480 TQ ( when running AEM 320, 50% E85 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51z_sELokzk
(#55)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 10-16-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTrill
Yes that would be a great idea, is it possible to buy a female to female USB connector?
(#56)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM

Putting my hand up if you want a Beta Tester from Sydney, Australia! :D
(#57)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell
Yes that would be a great idea, is it possible to buy a female to female USB connector?
I'll just go ahead and say the direct usb wired option won't happen (from me at least). This wireless option will be the best bet. The only wired option that would work is this http://redpark.com/ttl-serial-cable-c2-ttl/. Downside to this would be the lack of charging I believe. Here's the setup I use in my car:

Windshield mount for iPhone
USB charger into cigarette lighter port
Bluetooth adapter that goes into the aux-in under center armrest

The wireless option would allow your phone to be charging, playing music, and logging/displaying all that JB4 goodness all at once with only one physical connection to the device. My personal goal in making this is to simply have a nice digital speedometer, boost gauge, and some other third gauge displayed on the iPhone while logging the data to save for later if you choose. I will make the displays interchangeable though so everyone can personalize it to their own needs.

VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

(#58)
Old

Car: 335i sedan
Talking 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM

"My personal goal in making this is to simply have a nice digital speedometer, boost gauge, and some other third gauge displayed on the iPhone while logging the data to save for later if you choose"

man you are reading my mind !! btw i notice in your signature "failing HPFP" maybe its just simple fix maybe not. few months ago i had issues with it and the car not under warranty any more so i just bought new replace it at home.

well the old one i just dismantle it to see what wrong with it. the only thing was failing is o-ring and backup on high pressure side. to be more specific there is kind electric socket which i assume its pressure sensor reads input pressure (low) and out pressure (high) and then regulate the pump. when the o-rings fail the high pressure fuel was passing to the low pressure side and make the car unstable on high rev. that was my basic analysis

you can save your self $$ and check the orings before you get new one. and its easier than taking the whole pump out.

hope that will help you
(#59)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM

I've messed around with the app dash command (best in opinion) and used the plx kiwi wifi to connect to the dme. Maybe you could use that to connect to the jb or even a procede and then just create a app
(#60)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilphase
"My personal goal in making this is to simply have a nice digital speedometer, boost gauge, and some other third gauge displayed on the iPhone while logging the data to save for later if you choose"

man you are reading my mind !! btw i notice in your signature "failing HPFP" maybe its just simple fix maybe not. few months ago i had issues with it and the car not under warranty any more so i just bought new replace it at home.

well the old one i just dismantle it to see what wrong with it. the only thing was failing is o-ring and backup on high pressure side. to be more specific there is kind electric socket which i assume its pressure sensor reads input pressure (low) and out pressure (high) and then regulate the pump. when the o-rings fail the high pressure fuel was passing to the low pressure side and make the car unstable on high rev. that was my basic analysis

you can save your self $$ and check the orings before you get new one. and its easier than taking the whole pump out.

hope that will help you
Thanks for the info. I installed the ********* myself, so any idea as to how involved this is in comparison?

(#61)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-17-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamia2super
I've messed around with the app dash command (best in opinion) and used the plx kiwi wifi to connect to the dme. Maybe you could use that to connect to the jb or even a procede and then just create a app
The problem with DashCommand is that is uses the OBD2 port which, in every map other than map 0, is not usable as far as I''m aware.

(#62)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM

Update:
First page layout is done. Mostly matches the Windows version.

(#63)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
The problem with DashCommand is that is uses the OBD2 port which, in every map other than map 0, is not usable as far as I''m aware.
your right, but what im saying is maybe you can modify the plx wifi to connect to the jb so then thats one less thing you have to worry about
(#64)
Old
Professional Poster

Car: 2013 135I
Default 10-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I'll just go ahead and say the direct usb wired option won't happen (from me at least). This wireless option will be the best bet. The only wired option that would work is this http://redpark.com/ttl-serial-cable-c2-ttl/. Downside to this would be the lack of charging I believe. Here's the setup I use in my car:

Windshield mount for iPhone
USB charger into cigarette lighter port
Bluetooth adapter that goes into the aux-in under center armrest

The wireless option would allow your phone to be charging, playing music, and logging/displaying all that JB4 goodness all at once with only one physical connection to the device. My personal goal in making this is to simply have a nice digital speedometer, boost gauge, and some other third gauge displayed on the iPhone while logging the data to save for later if you choose. I will make the displays interchangeable though so everyone can personalize it to their own needs.
I've always wanted a Bluetooth adapter for the aux but never found any good reviews. Which do you use and how do you like it? Your set up sounds awesome and would love to not have to use the aux cable

340i Hybrid = Burns Gasoline and Rubber
(#65)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamia2super
your right, but what im saying is maybe you can modify the plx wifi to connect to the jb so then thats one less thing you have to worry about
Hmmm. I'm not sure if the JB4 sends the exact same output that would come through the CAN pins (anyone from BMS feel free to chime in on this). It might work though. I'll try out these little $20 adapters when they come in and if for some reason that doesn't work out, I'll give this another look. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by Dmac @ BMS/DMD; 10-17-2013 at 09:23 PM..
(#66)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrave
I've always wanted a Bluetooth adapter for the aux but never found any good reviews. Which do you use and how do you like it? Your set up sounds awesome and would love to not have to use the aux cable
I use this bluetooth adapter from my old head unit out of my 350z. BT Adapter on Amazon This was my best option since it can answer calls and play/pause/skip/rewind tracks.

I spliced the left/right audio wires into an aux jack, and bought a power adapter for the power outlet under the center armrest. Swapped out the 10amp fuse for a 2amp fuse, soldered the power and ground wires from the BT adapter to this power source and it all worked.

The sound quality is great especially compared the the Walmart BT adapter I had previously.

Just look around though as I'm sure there are much easier options than this.

(#67)
Old

Car: E90 N54 Xi
Default 10-18-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54mike
All of you apple people need to get Android phones! ;-)
Then I would have to use an Android phone...
(#68)
Old

Car: E90 N54 Xi
Default 10-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I use bluetooth for my music and I don't want to sacrifice one for the other (I don't have the nice iPod connection setup). Not sure about making it open source, I might though.
iOS devices can connect to multiple devices simultaneously as long as they serve different roles. For example, you can only have one bluetooth music connection, but can still have the phone connected to a bluetooth headset or serve as a modem.
(#69)
Old

Car: 335i sedan
Default 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I installed the ********* myself, so any idea as to how involved this is in comparison?
the replacing involve removing DCI, charge pipe, throttle body and intake manifold for me it was fun to remove all parts clean up and put them together, and i had a lot of spare time

for complete DIY click here
(#70)
Old

Car: 335i+JB4+FBO
Default 10-18-2013, 02:28 PM

any way to connect with BT1A gopoint since some of us allready have it for the track ?
(#71)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-19-2013, 11:41 PM

Hi
This is a great initiative
Beta Tester available in South Africa
(#72)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006
iOS devices can connect to multiple devices simultaneously as long as they serve different roles. For example, you can only have one bluetooth music connection, but can still have the phone connected to a bluetooth headset or serve as a modem.
I may have to look into the bluetooth option a bit further then. Thanks.

(#73)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko
any way to connect with BT1A gopoint since some of us allready have it for the track ?
The only bluetooth option that could work is one that would splice into the JB4 usb cable since the OBD2 port doesn't function correctly in any map other than map 0 as far as I'm aware.

(#74)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM

BLE shield or mini may be options for the bluetooth. I'll look into these after I deal with the wifi.

(#75)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM

Code reading/deleting is done.

Only things left are to finish up the layout of the User Adjustment and Meth Pages, and then finish up the graphing functionality and data logging structure.