N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#176)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 09-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyezak
It'll probably be faster for you to pull the whole engine to install all that.
You aren't the first person I've heard this from. I will explore this route since I'm not too pressed on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
Woo! I think you made the right choice. My 135i is currently a paperweight. Once I save up enough to get a used engine, I think I will tone back my horsepower goals. Although I have all the parts needed, I don't want to grenade another motor.

I look forward to you tackling this project. Be ready for curse words and dirty, bleeding hands. Like noted above, you might have a better time just dropping the engine and trans, or bringing it out from the front.
I believe so too. I was simply getting greedy for a few months considering how I use the car. I believe I'll be much happier with this setup overall. As I mentioned above, I might need to explore the engine dropping/pulling out the front option rather than dropping the subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Very similar power goal wise to me, so I am eagerly anticipating your thoughts on the GCLite/550i/Luk combo.

What fuel are you going for?
I'll be sure to give back detailed feedback every step of the way. As far as fuel goes, I enjoy running E40 and my LPFP/HPFP seem to like it as well, so as long as my HPFP can handle the E40 ratio with the amount of air the GC Lites will be moving, that's probably what I'll stick with. Plus its easy to throw the exact same amounts of E85 and 93 octane in the tank and get pretty close to E40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iam
Nice! I look forward to hearing your review.

Why did you go with the motive fuel rail over buying the complete setup from fuel-it?

I am installing the following in the next two weeks. Mfactory single mass flywheel, spec Stage 2+ clutch, RB next gen +, inlets, outlets.....but I havent made a decision on fueling yet. Planning to focus on getting tuned for 500whp on 93 octane first, wmi or PI may follow shortly after
I found the Motiv rail, injectors, etc. used at a decent price, so I picked that up separately. From there, I added the BMS controller and fuel line to work with my setup. I touched on it above, but that has all been sold. I'll be sticking with DI for the time being.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Build Thread HERE
(#177)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-12-2017, 11:04 PM

Everything looks gorgeous and I'm ordering bushels of pre-buttered popcorn and cases of beer to settle down and fully take in this extravaganza!

I have to say up front that I'm really happy you abandoned the port injection setup. If the engine can't protect itself by shutting off fuel flow when things are dicey, then things can get hairy and expensive real fast at high power levels. For a track monster and deep pockets fine, but keep it sane and semi-civilized for the DD; especially when you'll be hauling the SO around on occasion. My guess is that once you button this job up, you really won't want to be going there again for a long time. If ever...

Pulling the whole shebang sounds like the best plan to me, but do you need a lift for that? If one's convenient great, but the whole business will come out the front, no?

Best of luck and pulling for you!

ianc
(#178)
Old

Car: '08 535xi
Default 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Which e40 flash are you running now?
(#179)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 09-14-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc
Everything looks gorgeous and I'm ordering bushels of pre-buttered popcorn and cases of beer to settle down and fully take in this extravaganza!

I have to say up front that I'm really happy you abandoned the port injection setup. If the engine can't protect itself by shutting off fuel flow when things are dicey, then things can get hairy and expensive real fast at high power levels. For a track monster and deep pockets fine, but keep it sane and semi-civilized for the DD; especially when you'll be hauling the SO around on occasion. My guess is that once you button this job up, you really won't want to be going there again for a long time. If ever...

Pulling the whole shebang sounds like the best plan to me, but do you need a lift for that? If one's convenient great, but the whole business will come out the front, no?

Best of luck and pulling for you!

ianc
Agreed completely. I was getting greedy about numbers, but I'll be much happier with this setup on a day to day basis. As you mention, My fiance and I carpool together to work multiple times a week round trip, so this 1er has to adhere to the wolf in sheep's clothing persona with her spending so much time in the passenger seat.

The jackstands, front bumper off, engine/trans out of the front method is definitely the way I'm leaning. I still need to do considerable research on how to make that happen though, but it seems as if it would be most time effective as well.

The thought of being able to install turbos, *********, inlets, clutch/flywheel, clean the intake valves, replace oil pan gaskets with all the room in the world sounds like heaven in comparison to removing the transmission and subframe separately while trying to work in tight spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schläfer
Which e40 flash are you running now?
I ran the V5 and V7 E40 OTS flashes from MHD for a bit, but for the past few weeks I'm back to the BMS E85 BEF and its definitely the one I prefer the most for overall feel and drivability.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Build Thread HERE

Last edited by chadillac2000; 09-14-2017 at 06:34 AM..