N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Reiss91 Reiss91 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default RB "ones" some questions - 09-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Hello,

My 2007 e90 335xi FBO MHD pump with inlets no meth at 145k miles is due for its third turbo replacement. Factory set swapped at 70k due to rattle. Next set swapped at 100k due to excessive whine. Current set rattles and whines very badly. It's really too bad but a good time for an upgrade.

It's been FBO the whole time running inlets map 2 and always runs great. I've taken it to a strip a number of times and put some race gas to crank it up to map 7 and the race flash.

I'm gonna purchase the RB ones. Thrust upgrade is nice, stainless wastgate will be added. Can I just swap these in and go for it? I plan on staying at map2 17psi as a daily driver. Does anything else need to be changed for this? Duty bias, menu 10/12 settings, back end flash, that kind of stuff.

There really isn't a ton of info on the "ones" that I can find. Anyone have a dyno?
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
Torgus Torgus is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 448
Join Date: Jul 2013
Car: 335xi
Default 09-07-2017, 01:05 PM

Have you always been replacing them with brand new BMW turbos?

30k is a short life.


E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 JBD

Got Boost?
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 3,669
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 09-07-2017, 02:15 PM

Hopefully someone chimes in with some firsthand experience with these. Not that it is a tremendous sample size nor over many years however we have sold right at 25 sets since early 2017 and feedback has been great with literally not one single complaint of any kind or size.

Thanks,
Rob


See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
Reiss91 Reiss91 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default 09-07-2017, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the response rob. Hopefully someone can chime in.


Torgus, yes oem turbos from a dealer. All warranty/goodwill so it was all free anyways.
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
weebles weebles is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 173
Join Date: Jul 2012
Car: 135i
Default 09-08-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiss91
Hello,

My 2007 e90 335xi FBO MHD pump with inlets no meth at 145k miles is due for its third turbo replacement. Factory set swapped at 70k due to rattle. Next set swapped at 100k due to excessive whine. Current set rattles and whines very badly. It's really too bad but a good time for an upgrade.

It's been FBO the whole time running inlets map 2 and always runs great. I've taken it to a strip a number of times and put some race gas to crank it up to map 7 and the race flash.

I'm gonna purchase the RB ones. Thrust upgrade is nice, stainless wastgate will be added. Can I just swap these in and go for it? I plan on staying at map2 17psi as a daily driver. Does anything else need to be changed for this? Duty bias, menu 10/12 settings, back end flash, that kind of stuff.

There really isn't a ton of info on the "ones" that I can find. Anyone have a dyno?
You will not need to change your back end flash if you only plan on running pump gas. The biggest thing will be your FF / wastegate adaptation and a few other jb4 boost control settings will need to be dialed in. All the info is posted in the stickys at the top of this section for adjusting these boost control settings.

I'd personally recommend using map 6 to create a flatter boost curve towards redline if you're only going to run 17 psi. Since the RB's will easily be able to hold more boost at redline a custom boost curve set in map 6 with little to no taper at redline would let your RB's / money spent shine a little more.
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
Reiss91 Reiss91 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default 09-08-2017, 06:17 PM

Would you happen to have the map 6 values that mimic map 2 with no boost taper towards redline ?
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
crazyyardie's Avatar
crazyyardie crazyyardie is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 308
Join Date: Feb 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 09-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebles
The biggest thing will be your FF / wastegate adaptation and a few other jb4 boost control settings will need to be dialed in. All the info is posted in the stickys at the top of this section for adjusting these boost control settings.
i just adjusted my menu 10 to 3000rpm

on map 2 u can feel the taper when power falls off compared to stock. map 6 with a more aggressive boost curve as u said is a must

ff/wastegate adaptation and other jb4 settings ... tell me more
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
CedarPerformance CedarPerformance is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 102
Join Date: Aug 2017
Car: All of 'em
Default 09-10-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiss91
Hello,

My 2007 e90 335xi FBO MHD pump with inlets no meth at 145k miles is due for its third turbo replacement. Factory set swapped at 70k due to rattle. Next set swapped at 100k due to excessive whine. Current set rattles and whines very badly. It's really too bad but a good time for an upgrade.

It's been FBO the whole time running inlets map 2 and always runs great. I've taken it to a strip a number of times and put some race gas to crank it up to map 7 and the race flash.

I'm gonna purchase the RB ones. Thrust upgrade is nice, stainless wastgate will be added. Can I just swap these in and go for it? I plan on staying at map2 17psi as a daily driver. Does anything else need to be changed for this? Duty bias, menu 10/12 settings, back end flash, that kind of stuff.

There really isn't a ton of info on the "ones" that I can find. Anyone have a dyno?
Make sure you are running the proper oils boss.. did you ever get feedback as to why your turbos were whining? Or did you just replace and go?

Take an oil sample and send it out. Send your old turbos to somebody for analysis or just take them all apart.csometimes contamination is minut where your block is not effected, but your engine doesnt spin at 150,000 rpm like the turbos do.
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
weebles weebles is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 173
Join Date: Jul 2012
Car: 135i
Default 09-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyardie
i just adjusted my menu 10 to 3000rpm

on map 2 u can feel the taper when power falls off compared to stock. map 6 with a more aggressive boost curve as u said is a must

ff/wastegate adaptation and other jb4 settings ... tell me more
Switching wastegates (new turbos) the wastegate adaptation will likely need a massive adaptation you can help it out a bit on your own by guessing at the amount of adaptation needed but it will eventually dial in on it's own.

Personally I like to use map 6 so disable the RPM ff gain, set your boost low for first pull - say 16 psi flat to redline. Now analyze your log and compare the actual boost to what you're requesting in the map 6 user settings. If you're underboosting then add duty bias if you're overboosting then reduce duty bias (PER RPM).. Dial in the duty bias across your entire RPM range making sure requested boost matches actual boost.

There are a few other little settings and tweaks you can adjust but this is the easiest way i find. Reading through sticky's and the duty bias control thread will teach you everything you need to know.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
crazyyardie's Avatar
crazyyardie crazyyardie is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 308
Join Date: Feb 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 09-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebles
Switching wastegates (new turbos) the wastegate adaptation will likely need a massive adaptation you can help it out a bit on your own by guessing at the amount of adaptation needed but it will eventually dial in on it's own.

Personally I like to use map 6 so disable the RPM ff gain, set your boost low for first pull - say 16 psi flat to redline. Now analyze your log and compare the actual boost to what you're requesting in the map 6 user settings. If you're underboosting then add duty bias if you're overboosting then reduce duty bias (PER RPM).. Dial in the duty bias across your entire RPM range making sure requested boost matches actual boost.

There are a few other little settings and tweaks you can adjust but this is the easiest way i find. Reading through sticky's and the duty bias control thread will teach you everything you need to know.

Thanks I checked the hybrid stickies but they say for stage 1 turbos we must use normal flashes n not hybrid.
I did realize the car was overboosting didn't get a chance to actually log it yet. It's been very bad cause these hurricanes.
I'll do just what u said on map 6 and take it from there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 3,669
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 09-14-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyardie
Thanks I checked the hybrid stickies but they say for stage 1 turbos we must use normal flashes n not hybrid.
I did realize the car was overboosting didn't get a chance to actually log it yet. It's been very bad cause these hurricanes.
I'll do just what u said on map 6 and take it from there. Thanks.
Thanks to crazyyardie, who purchased some DIY RB Ones earlier this year, some results were provided here from another thread just an FYI-
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49361

Considering we suggest these units for around 425-475rwhp they seem to be right on the money. Still waiting on the dyno graph.

Rob


See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
crazyyardie's Avatar
crazyyardie crazyyardie is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 308
Join Date: Feb 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 09-14-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Thanks to crazyyardie, who purchased some DIY RB Ones earlier this year, some results were provided here from another thread just an FYI-
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49361

Considering we suggest these units for around 425-475rwhp they seem to be right on the money. Still waiting on the dyno graph.

Rob
Hey rob I posted another topic with the dyno results of 474whp 484 ft lb.
These turbos spoil really quick at below 3000 I have 18 psi
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 3,669
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 09-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyardie
Hey rob I posted another topic with the dyno results of 474whp 484 ft lb.
These turbos spoil really quick at below 3000 I have 18 psi
Awesome. Glad to hear it! Looks like the power is holding very well towards redline too, great deal!

Here is a link to the other thread you are referring to...
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49378

Thanks,
Rob


See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
crazyyardie's Avatar
crazyyardie crazyyardie is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 308
Join Date: Feb 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 09-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Awesome. Glad to hear it! Looks like the power is holding very well towards redline too, great deal!

Here is a link to the other thread you are referring to...
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49378

Thanks,
Rob
What is the max boost that I should run on these rb ones rob ?? I have full bolt ons plus ur inlets and outlets. Just installed the n20 sensor but wanna know the max I should run. Fuel is e50 mix
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 3,669
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 09-16-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyardie
What is the max boost that I should run on these rb ones rob ?? I have full bolt ons plus ur inlets and outlets. Just installed the n20 sensor but wanna know the max I should run. Fuel is e50 mix
Many variables and factors involved here but would say in general 20-21psi is a good place to stop unless you are really just trying to push to and potentially beyond the ragged edge, which of course could yield broken parts quickly or in some shorter timeframe.

Keep in mind there is rarely a clear answer to boost recommendations due to a tremendous amounts of variables- but the lowest possible boost pressure is always ideal for optimum longevity. Overall with tasteful modifications and a close eye on maintenance the pressure range that you are currently at should be a fairly reasonable max for these units.

Thanks,
Rob


See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-16-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
RCB RCB is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 172
Join Date: Dec 2015
Car: E61 535XIt
Default 09-19-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Hopefully someone chimes in with some firsthand experience with these. Not that it is a tremendous sample size nor over many years however we have sold right at 25 sets since early 2017 and feedback has been great with literally not one single complaint of any kind or size.

Thanks,
Rob
I'm happy to chime in with some positive feedback on these RB ones. I installed a set on an E92 335xi early last month. The car was FBO with inlets and runs on a custom MHD tune. We installed the stage 1 turbos w/ billet WG upgrade along with RB oil drains to replace a set of smoking stock turbos. The car was switched from CPE ******* **'s to a set of CPE ***ted dpís at the same time and the oil was also switched from Rotella T6 to Motul 8100 x-cess at the time of install per RB recommendations.

The car is now running on 17psi with these turbos on a preliminary tune until Steve K gets a chance to review the data logs and update the tune. Even with the fact that that we added some restriction back to the exhaust and haven't finished polishing up the tune I can already say that myself and the owner are very impressed with these turbos. Steve also commented on how quick and steady boost came on in the data logs. The car spools quick and continues to pull hard right up to the shift point.
These turbos are a great option for anyone that wants factory like performance with an increased power potential and no boost drop in the higher RPMs. IMHO 450 whp is the sweet spot for most daily driven street car and these turbos are an affordable replacement for the OEM turbos that have the potential to get the N54 to that power level without bumping the boost way up yet they still maintains those stock driving characteristics. The price point is also a very appealing feature of this option for guys looking for a bit more power without spending tons of money on a set of large hybrids.


2008 E61 535xit MHD, VRSF CP, Tial BOV, DCI, RB Inlets and Outlets, VRSF 7"FMIC, Custom ***, BMS OCC, RB External PCV, M5 seats, LED interior/DRL, 20" Style 128 wheels, KWv3, M5 steering wheel, M-Sport conversion, Bimmer-Tech HD/Apple TV

2008 Lexus ISF I/H/E, Figs suspension arms, BC/swift, BC wheels, PSS (305 rear)....
1993.5 Supra 857 WHP, GT42R, CCW/R888 (305 rear)...
1968 Plymouth GTX 440 (For Sale)

IG: CBBOOST
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 3,669
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 11-01-2017, 09:10 AM

We also were provided this RB Ones customer dyno result yesterday- 446rwhp on 93 octane @ ~19psi.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images
 


See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
arhoads335i arhoads335i is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 38
Join Date: May 2017
Car: E92 335i
Default 11-01-2017, 09:22 AM

Rob do you know if he used meth also? I have pure stage 1s and anything above 17.8 psi gives me timing corrections.
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
Rob@RBTurbo Rob@RBTurbo is offline
Stalker
 
Posts: 3,669
Join Date: Feb 2009
Car: 335I
Default 11-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i
Rob do you know if he used meth also? I have pure stage 1s and anything above 17.8 psi gives me timing corrections.
We were told he was on pump 93 (only) and he was also getting some timing corrections.


See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright © 2007 - 2017, N54tech.com