N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#126)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi
Default 07-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
There is no issue, never was. It's a factory feature from BMW on their "IS" N54 cars, just adding to those that didn't come w/ it.
Agreed. Had it with my Z4 35is prior to MHD and after MHD option I still have it but with ability to make some changes to it.

No difference whatsoever in my case for oil consumption or any other "symptoms" posted here.
(#127)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 07-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
There is no issue, never was. It's a factory feature from BMW on their "IS" N54 cars, just adding to those that didn't come w/ it.

FWIW Justin doesn't recommend long durations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@MHD View Post
i don't recommend running long durations.

Torgus: oh? why?

Response: Cylinder washing is one main thing to look out for. Also, for those people with cats (because there are some still), they will speed up the failure of the cats.

E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 JBD

Got Boost?
(#128)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 07-19-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
What is the equivalent settings to set on MHD that would be factory BMW "IS" ?
(#129)
Old

Car: 11 135i
Default 07-20-2017, 10:31 PM

Hey just thought I'd post up I flashed the latest MHD bms pi bef the other day and since then I have had an oil light come up level showed below the lower line and add 1L.
I did this and drove for a while and it came up again and showed the same level.
I decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery, after that it showed ok and level was on the full mark.
I run 0.1 and 0.3 (S) burble. Car blows no smoke and I normally don't need to add much oil between services, Maybe 1/2 L every 5000k's

2011 135i Dct coupe Alpine white n blacked out.
VTT DBB,Pure Inlet, JB4,GFB DV+,MHD,Fuel-it Platinum PI with Cm 5 - 50:50 Meth, E85, N20 tmap, Fuel It S2 lpfp, KB Boost A Spark, BMS IC /CP / IT / OCC, SG Boost Pipe, Quaife LSD, Federal RS-RR,M4 Flywheel, SSP R spec clutches, Kw V3 & Pro rolled guards, AR CL **, Bmw PE. Custom mi**ipe kitties. 1000wrms custom audio.
(#130)
Old

Default 12-31-2017, 12:22 AM

So what happened with all this ? Bull**** or reality ? If its an issue with too aggressive a setting, couldnt / shouldnt MHD simply only allow softer settings and less time duration of these settings ?
(#131)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 135i E88 N54 6AT
Default 01-03-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BEAST
So what happened with all this ? Bull**** or reality ? If its an issue with too aggressive a setting, couldnt / shouldnt MHD simply only allow softer settings and less time duration of these settings ?
I'm no authority on the subject but have read far and wide. The tl;dr version I've got is:
  • BMW PPE gives you exhaust burble, roughly equivalent to 0.5s soft MHD burble, so the general assumption is that it's fine to run these settings without causing harm.
  • MHD themselves don't recommend long duration or 'aggressive' burble for extended use. The burble works by letting the car send unburnt fuel out your exhaust valves. This causes three negative effects:
    • it raises Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT) which wear out your turbos if you get too hot.
    • It deposits unburnt fuel onto your Catalytic converters which will wear them out
    • It can cause cylinder wash, which you definitely do not want.
  • That said - I have not found any users on forums blaming MHD exhaust burble for their worn turbos, failed cats or worn pistons/cylinders.
  • Many users have experimented with aggressive burble for long duration. It's fun and noisy and obnoxious. It's great fun if you're going on a show-off cruise, but probably a very bad idea for a track day.
  • Users have reported worse Oil consumption and worse fuel consumption with the burble turned on, but these reports are utterly inconclusive.

To answer your question directly: There seems to be no problem running long duration and aggressive burble for short periods of time. MHD is an ECU flash which is offered with no recourse if it blows up your engine. If you load the E60 map with desensitised knock tables and fill your car with 91 ron gas then take it to the track, you'll probably blow up your engine. MHD do seem to be focused on releasing a product that generally won't cause immediate harm to users, but they have given us some features which should be used with caution - rather than "only allow[ing] softer settings and less time duration", they've issued a warning to their users and are trusting us to use our own judgement.
(#132)
Old

Car: 2009 335i dct msport
Default 01-04-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx
I'm no authority on the subject but have read far and wide. The tl;dr version I've got is:..........
Well written and well said.
(#133)
Old

Car: 09 e92
Default 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM

I've been using the burble option since it came out. I don't have to add oil between 5k intervals. My last 335 burned a quart over the same amount of time. No burbles on that one.
(#134)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 01-05-2018, 12:54 PM

I just had an oil change done recently and wanted to test the hypothesis that the burble mod burns more oil. I had the setting set to medium at .5 seconds and 1 seconds for sport and didnt burn any oil whatsoever for the time i had it on. However once I changed my oil, I turned it up to hard for the same time and I literally burned half my oil in about a week. I turned it back down and the oil consumption went back to normal. Im not sure if it was a sensor or if it actually burned through all that oil but i still topped it off again so I hope I didn't overfill the car with oil.
(#135)
Old

Default 01-05-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned
I just had an oil change done recently and wanted to test the hypothesis that the burble mod burns more oil. I had the setting set to medium at .5 seconds and 1 seconds for sport and didnt burn any oil whatsoever for the time i had it on. However once I changed my oil, I turned it up to hard for the same time and I literally burned half my oil in about a week. I turned it back down and the oil consumption went back to normal. Im not sure if it was a sensor or if it actually burned through all that oil but i still topped it off again so I hope I didn't overfill the car with oil.
I think it migh mess with sensors from what I have read. As I said before in this thread....if seals on valves OR turbos get damaged by high setting on burble, it cant fix itself by simply taking burble off !. You would now have a hardware problem that only a swap of hard parts could fix !
(#136)
Old

Car: 08' BMW 135iM
Talking 01-24-2018, 04:12 PM

Wow, didn't know this topic was still around... No wonder it seems like I never left LOL...

and it seems that till this day, there is no conclusive answer as some have no issues at all, and some experienced the same issues I had...

7DCT 2013 LeMans Blue BMW ///335is (Pending Inspection)
6AT | 135i ///M Sport - CRASHED (TOTALLED)
(#137)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 135i E88 N54 6AT
Default 01-24-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotCEO
Wow, didn't know this topic was still around... No wonder it seems like I never left LOL...

and it seems that till this day, there is no conclusive answer as some have no issues at all, and some experienced the same issues I had...

Yup - And just to keep the conversation going, what I don't get is the N54 community's acceptance of this feature.

Adding fake exhaust tips to make a quad exhaust, putting a ghost-cam flash-tune on your car, putting a big wing on the back, adding ///M stickers to a non-M car etc. are all modifications which add zero power/performance in a blatent attempt to imitate the stereotype of a race car. Theyattract outright ridicule by the community (and rightfully so).

Adding MHD exhaust burble adds zero power or performance, is exclusively for the purpose of showing off or imitating a 'race car' - and is worse than the above mods because it actually can cause harm - yet is almost never ridiculed.

With current Fuel Injection technology and VVT if you see a modern car burbling along it's actually an indication of 1 of 2 things:
  1. An incompetent tuner
  2. A competent tuner attempting to imitate a race car

Either way, they should be viewed the same way as that dude with the low Honda Civic with carbon fibre everything and a 4" exhaust.

Yet we don't.... Why is that?
(#138)
Old

Car: 08' BMW 135iM
Default 01-25-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx
Yup - And just to keep the conversation going, what I don't get is the N54 community's acceptance of this feature.

Adding fake exhaust tips to make a quad exhaust, putting a ghost-cam flash-tune on your car, putting a big wing on the back, adding ///M stickers to a non-M car etc. are all modifications which add zero power/performance in a blatent attempt to imitate the stereotype of a race car. Theyattract outright ridicule by the community (and rightfully so).

Adding MHD exhaust burble adds zero power or performance, is exclusively for the purpose of showing off or imitating a 'race car' - and is worse than the above mods because it actually can cause harm - yet is almost never ridiculed.

With current Fuel Injection technology and VVT if you see a modern car burbling along it's actually an indication of 1 of 2 things:
  1. An incompetent tuner
  2. A competent tuner attempting to imitate a race car

Either way, they should be viewed the same way as that dude with the low Honda Civic with carbon fibre everything and a 4" exhaust.

Yet we don't.... Why is that?
I agree to a degree... a nice burble sounds good to any nice car. However, when you're using 5 second on the most obnoxious burble setting, then that's hardcore faking the funk.

At the end of the day, it's just a feature that was created to give you an option to add to the stock burble, but my question from day one, was figuring out what the deal was, but till this day after almost 11 months of being away, we're pretty much the same place, then use at own discretion.

It's different just getting when a stock car with MHD has it at 7 sec at the most obnoxious level is hurting hard.

At the end of it all... If you use the feature, on the car you paid for, and it makes you happy then.... OWN IT...

7DCT 2013 LeMans Blue BMW ///335is (Pending Inspection)
6AT | 135i ///M Sport - CRASHED (TOTALLED)