N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#776)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue

I don't have problem with people putting whatever parts in their car. It is their money and car, not mine.
Actually, it kinda seems like you DO care and are very opinionated about it.
Maybe back off the E-Thug status just a little bit.

(#777)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 01-16-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPacMo
Actually, it kinda seems like you DO care and are very opinionated about it.
Maybe back off the E-Thug status just a little bit.
Nah, I still have much to learn from some of the vendors here when it comes to that. And thanks taking my quote out of context btw.

Btw isn't it funny how all the "e-thugs" are concentrated in this thread on this forum. I wonder if it has something to do with the BS info from a known BS vendor.

09 BMW E92 335i: ACF Top Mount / EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#778)
Old

Default 01-16-2018, 10:35 AM

I dunno. It seems like people didn't like how Doug came along and shook things up a bit. Especially certain guys.
I can tell you this. Doug is a stand up guy. I know him personally. He's the type of guy that will help you out in any way. Believe me.
Is he selling Chinese manufactured turbos. Yes. So does Borg Warner. So does VTT and the list goes on. Did he change a lot of stuff on his like bearings and thrust assembly and cold side housings and and and. Yup. Did he have working models a year ago but delayed open beta testing for a year because he wanted to have excellent reliability. Yes. Could he have built a single top mount kit. Sure but that's not the market he wants to be in.
There are some very big names in the N54 world that have been working along side Doug during development. I'm not in a position to talk about that as it's not my business but if he wasn't reputable, they wouldn't be working with him, guaranteed.

(#779)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPacMo
I dunno. It seems like people didn't like how Doug came along and shook things up a bit. Especially certain guys.
I can tell you this. Doug is a stand up guy. I know him personally. He's the type of guy that will help you out in any way. Believe me.
Is he selling Chinese manufactured turbos. Yes. So does Borg Warner. So does VTT and the list goes on. Did he change a lot of stuff on his like bearings and thrust assembly and cold side housings and and and. Yup. Did he have working models a year ago but delayed open beta testing for a year because he wanted to have excellent reliability. Yes. Could he have built a single top mount kit. Sure but that's not the market he wants to be in.
There are some very big names in the N54 world that have been working along side Doug during development. I'm not in a position to talk about that as it's not my business but if he wasn't reputable, they wouldn't be working with him, guaranteed.
- You sound a lot like our president...

- Nothing wrong with oversea manufacturing if it is done right by an OEM, like Borg Warner, with stringent quality control. Where it is built has nothing to do with it, just look at our german built fuel pumps by siemens and continental. Do you think we should trust Doug implementing the proper quality control for these things when he is too busy posting bogus data on these forums, lol no.

- Using VTT as an exemplar model, well, lol, way to set the bar low for yourself.

09 BMW E92 335i: ACF Top Mount / EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#780)
Old

Default 01-16-2018, 11:19 AM

There's no reasoning with you.
You win at Troll #1 status. Congrats.

(#781)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-16-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I don't have problem with people putting whatever parts in their car. It is their money and car, not mine.
Err yea you really do. You can say otherwise all you want, itís really quite obvious that what other people do bothers you lots! In fact I think this post will bother you lots also. I anticipate your reply sweetness.

UK PTF TUNED
TD TURBO 335i
(#782)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 01-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
tell me at 20k and beat on these things for a season of track days, then tell me more about quality of these things.

really tired of people writing reviews when they haven't even last for one single OCI...

btw, did you register on this forum just to write these reviews???
Has there been any high mileage hybrids out there? It's hard to say what happens out there with any turbo, look at the OEM ones. They rattle, and gets replaced with on a that eventually rattle. Any turbo that has internals better than ok is a win,
(#783)
Old
whoosh

Car: Minivan, mountain bike
Default Our bearings can beat up their bearings - 01-21-2018, 07:06 PM

So which journal bearing spec do you want in your 700bhp-capable twin turbos? It's going to be ours.

It's not the talk that matters. It's the work that matters.

(#784)
Old

Car: e60 535i
Default 02-05-2018, 02:38 PM

First post here. I am new to the N54 world and recently got an e60. I am in learning mode right now and I appreciate data. This thread provides a ton. I also appreciate that members weigh in when the feedback on the data, contradictory or otherwise, when it is done in a constructive manner.

That said, most of the responses here are a bunch of douche bags bashing and hating instead of working together as a community to further develop the platform.

I have to say that, at bare minimum, Doug has done a great job of taking the high road against all of the garbage posts in this thread. Beyond that, he is about to fully launch his offering, which at bare minimum give an indication as to whether he follows through on what he says he will do.

I really hope Doug's offering is a success and proves reliable over time, even if it's as a **** you to some of the posters in this thread.
It's really too bad there isn't more unity here. Quite the turn-off for enthusiasts who are just getting in the game.

Pro Tip: Arrogance, conceit and a brutish belittling of others only works to your own detriment and adds to the piteous view others have of you.

Good luck Doug, I'm rooting for you.

Last edited by atomicwerks; 02-05-2018 at 03:01 PM..
(#785)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 02-05-2018, 02:47 PM

No hard feelings on our end, we can’t keep product in stock as it is currently anyway. Have a nice day sir, we appreciate your feedback! Enjoy your Frankenturbos!

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#786)
Old

Default 02-05-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech
No hard feelings on our end, we canít keep product in stock as it is currently anyway. Have a nice day sir, we appreciate your feedback! Enjoy your Frankenturbos!
I didn't say I was going to buy frankenturbos. I said I wasn't going to buy from you.

Since you took the time to respond, can you tell me why you took such a holier-than-thou approach in your responses to this thread? It almost seems like you felt/feel threatened.

This is completely objective as I don't know either you or Doug.

Did you have prior dealings with him that you felt your hostility was warranted?

You came across as a real a-hole, but if I'm reading you wrong, please let me know.
(#787)
Old

Default 02-05-2018, 02:57 PM

I'd also like to apologize as I realize now that my previous post was not constructive and almost in the same vein as many others in this thread.

Tony, I edited my original post as to the content that was in direct regards to you. I would rather be a positive member of the community and regardless of my initial judgement of your characted based on this thread, it was rude of me.

Last edited by atomicwerks; 02-05-2018 at 03:06 PM..
(#788)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 02-05-2018, 02:59 PM

As stated, we appreciate the feedback! You sir enjoy the rest of your day!

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#789)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 02-05-2018, 03:52 PM

Lol. Another person joins the forums to praise frankenliar.

Enjoy the kool-aid A55hole

2007 335xi MT, JB4, bms dci, 5"vrsf stepped fmic, **'s, vrsf full silicone inlets, mpp silicone outlets, er chargepipe, hyperboost diverter valves
(#790)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicwerks
First post here. I am new to the N54 world and recently got an e60. I am in learning mode right now and I appreciate data. This thread provides a ton. I also appreciate that members weigh in when the feedback on the data, contradictory or otherwise, when it is done in a constructive manner.

That said, most of the responses here are a bunch of douche bags bashing and hating instead of working together as a community to further develop the platform.

I have to say that, at bare minimum, Doug has done a great job of taking the high road against all of the garbage posts in this thread. Beyond that, he is about to fully launch his offering, which at bare minimum give an indication as to whether he follows through on what he says he will do.

I really hope Doug's offering is a success and proves reliable over time, even if it's as a **** you to some of the posters in this thread.
It's really too bad there isn't more unity here. Quite the turn-off for enthusiasts who are just getting in the game.

Pro Tip: Arrogance, conceit and a brutish belittling of others only works to your own detriment and adds to the piteous view others have of you.

Good luck Doug, I'm rooting for you.
You missed the boat dude. Very well respected posters who had already done a ton to advance this platform tried to engage Doug in discussion. He completely ignored them. He didn’t take the high road. He stuck his head in the sand.

Ask yourself many people requested JB4 logs and Doug never provided them? Cause he wanted a helpful discussion?

Ask yourself Why Terry (owner of site and JB4 guru) has largely not gotten involved?

Ask yourself if his graphs are actually graphing the right variables against each other?

Ask yourself why Doug bombed a motor after people warned him about his timing?

2007 n54 e90 sedan (1/07 date), JB4 G5 ISO - Map 3, BMS DCI, BMS Trunk Tank Meth Kit - two nozzle - CM7/CM10, BMS OCC, MHD Trebilia Flash, e60 (5 gallons of 93 and 11 gallons E85), Stage 2 from Fuel-It, VRSF 7" FMIC, N54tuning.com V1 **, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, NGK Iridium (one-step colder) plugs, N20 TMAP Sensor, RB turbo inlets, VTT outlets

Last edited by dlp3719; 02-05-2018 at 05:35 PM..
(#791)
Old

Default 02-06-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp3719
You missed the boat dude. Very well respected posters who had already done a ton to advance this platform tried to engage Doug in discussion. He completely ignored them. He didnít take the high road. He stuck his head in the sand.

Ask yourself many people requested JB4 logs and Doug never provided them? Cause he wanted a helpful discussion?

Ask yourself Why Terry (owner of site and JB4 guru) has largely not gotten involved?

Ask yourself if his graphs are actually graphing the right variables against each other?

Ask yourself why Doug bombed a motor after people warned him about his timing?
Yes, I understand that he wasn't very receptive to the help that some were trying to provide. Could it be that he was put off by the nature and verbage used in some replies, especially from some of the "well respected" posters early in the thread.

He definitely should have been more receptive to the advice that was being given him. His lack of receptiveness didn't help the dynamic of the discussion.

That is absolutely no excuse for some of the treatment Doug received from some members.

I also understand a bit better now after reading some of the threads, ie. RB calling out Vargas over Chinese cast manifolds, that apparently this may just be how the "industry leaders" behave in this community and Tony probably has ulterior motives considering he and Doug may/may not be using the same supplier for castings and so felt threatened and lashed out to try to protect his interests.

I really wish the whole discussion was more constructive, it's a shame to see the people who should be LEADERS behaving the way they did. As a new forum member, a toxic environment is the last thing I expected, but apparently this is all some members can contribute.

As to Doug blowing up his motor, anyone "in the know" or even can read can see that his timing was bad and It still is looking at even his most recent "graphs". He will likely do it again. Should he take/have taken the advice of some of the member that were constructively trying to help, yes, but bear in mind that EVERYONE, at some point in their life and sometimes their whole life, has to learn on their own and will reject advice. I can think of many situations in my own past where that is applicable.

Let me be clear, it's not out of biased support for Doug or FrankenTurbo l that I'm even posting these replies to the thread. For the most part, I am trying illustrate the bad and in some cases psychotic behaviour of some people here.

Let the guy be and develop his project/product how he sees fits, regardless of whether he's doing something wrong in your eyes. In the end he'll either learn the expensive lessons and succeed or give up...

The hostility and animosity is not needed, and at this point I am reserving my judgement of the community as a whole.

On a final note, maybe Terry, should have piped in to at least give his take on the nature of the tone of the thread, as it's in his best interest to mediate things like this if he wants his site to be as successful as possible. Many people, myself included are quite turned off by this kind of toxicity and many would choose not to be a part of it at all. I would like to see him lead the way as far as the type of community he creates, unless that's what is happening already... I for one would really like to know, as that right there speaks volumes.

Best regards to everyone and I apologize that my other post was not the type of constructive contribution I would normally bring to a forum.

Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully respond, dlp3719, I appreciate that you didn't just take to bashing and jump to conclusions like the reply above you and many others.
(#792)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 02-06-2018, 09:25 AM

JFC I wish folks would stop making excuses for this guy or beating the dead horse. Not gonna stop people from doing whatever they see fit. Colossal circle jerk that just repeats every 5 pages of this absurdly long thread for turbos that could have been realistically developed and tested 6 months without deceit or drama.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#793)
Old

Car: 09 e92
Default 02-06-2018, 07:12 PM

All the new members on all the forums have really put everyone in their place. Shame on all of us for not being appreciative of Doug's contributions to our platform. All the data, all the turbos.
(#794)
Old

Car: '09 135i
Default 02-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostE92d
All the data, all the turbos.
All the time.....

Lots of good info and details in this thread. It's been a fun read, pro and con for everyone

1and1
135i - E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD s1+ / xHP s2
X1 - E84.N20 2013 / MGM / Stock - The Wife's
(#795)
Old

Default 02-07-2018, 12:10 AM

Lol @ atomic retardation
Doug has been proven to have nothing time and time again. His products speak for themselves- garbage
(#796)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 02-27-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase
Lol. Another person joins the forums to praise frankenliar.

Enjoy the kool-aid A55hole
Funny isn't it!

No history or reputation. They must think people are idiots.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#797)
Old
whoosh

Default 02-27-2018, 07:03 PM

Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread active. I appreciate the added exposure it's getting.

All the best,

Doug Harper
FrankenTurbo

(#798)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 02-28-2018, 07:28 AM

I think I've already mentioned this before but I had a Frankenturbo kit on an B5 Audi a while ago and after fixing installation errors that were no fault of the kit the car was fast and the turbo saw PLENTY of spool time in the year I flogged it and it never had any problems.

(#799)
Old

Default 04-05-2018, 09:44 AM

I have a set of Frankenturbo installed on my 335i, they've been installed for about a month. I've done about 1200km (750 miles) and everything is running smooth. The car is more responsive than with the stock units. Still running JB4 map 5. I will create a new thread once I do more miles and have tunning done to suit these turbo.
(#800)
Old
whoosh

Default 04-05-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks, Mike. Looking forward to your continued feedback.

dh