N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default Anybody else check out the new 5 this weekend? - 02-12-2017, 09:06 PM

The G30 was officially released yesterday (though the dealer says they got it Wednesday). Anybody besides me go check it out?

I'm not really impressed by it. It looks like an oversized 3 series. The interior is nice, but its tight. I'm thinking the backseat is smaller than my GT. I like the Nappa leather, love the comfort seats (as always). The new 360° cam is awesome. I dig the new angles it shows. Not a fan of "gesture control". It seems to do what it wants and not what you want. And as I said when I had the X3 loaner, I do not like NBT EVO system. I like the old NBT better. Its much more intuitive IMO.

I only got to drive a 540i xDrive, non-M-Sport. Its kinda soft feeling. Ride is pretty soft, steering reminds me more of a vague Infiniti than a BMW. No feeling at all, and that was from the supposedly upgraded Active steering. Standard brakes are severely lacking. I hope the M-Sport brakes use at least better pads, if not calipers. B58 is okay, but I'm not thrilled with it in this platform. It feels, and especially sounds, like its working pretty hard to get the car off the line. Its fine once moving. The 530 must be miserable to drive.

Worst part is the price. For a fairly well equipped 540iX, its nearly $80,000. That means the M550 is going to be in the mid-90s. And frankly, BMW quality in the past few years has been spotty at best and certainly doesn't justify that price tag. It would be extremely difficult for me to buy one over a CTS-V or especially a cheaper S6.

I'd love to hear opinions from others who went to see them and drove them, especially an M-Sport version.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i coupé
Default 02-13-2017, 01:43 PM

Mike,

I'm always the same when a new model comes out, but they soon grow on you. I can relate to your comments about the steering, did you try it in sports mode? Also it does seem like a very big car for a 5.
I am on the new 5 series technical product training in a couple of months so hopefully get hands on with them and see how well they are put together.
We have a white m-sport at the moment with the full performance bodykit in the showroom for the launch, looks great!
(#3)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 02-13-2017, 06:04 PM

I didn't try it in Sport. Wasn't sure if it was like the F3x and blocked out the top 2 gears in Sport. Because of that I never drive my F34 in Sport, so I wouldn't the G30 either if I bought one. Plus the NYC roads are garbage.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#4)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 03-07-2017, 09:33 AM

I don't think I have any interest in the G30 - too soft looking ,too much like a large 3, too similar to F10, and reviews like this all over the place.

Plus, as you noted, the price for what you get is crazy.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#5)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-30-2017, 08:45 AM

Sounds like a piece of shet. This is the reason BMW is getting a new CEO!

Burgerized Cars:
17 X5 50i
16 Golf R
13 M5
08 135i

Check out my videos
http://www.youtube.com/gvahan#p/u
(#6)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 06-30-2017, 09:51 AM

I'm still waiting to get my hands on the M550. Dealer is supposed to call me when they get one I can drive. Supposedly its like night and day with the lower end versions.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i