Chi-Town Cruiser

Car: 2011 BMW 335is
Default Boost Target Reading 0 - 02-24-2018, 08:23 PM

Set Up:
- 2011 335is 6MT
- kitten-less dwonpipes, DCI, Intercooler, Charge pipe w BOV, JB4+INA0S PUMP
- Running 93 octane
- Map 2

I flashed the INA0S PUMP backend yesterday and the car ran incredibly well for over an hour of fun.

This morning before the warm up cycle got past 160, I gently accelerated up an incline and the car went into low boost mode, with the error that boost went over Target (code 30FE). I was maybe giving it 40% throttle at most.

When I ran the JB4 app afterward, boost was being tracked fine, but Target stayed at 0 regardless of throttle input. The car has not thrown a code again yet, but Target is still showing 0 even at full boost (~17.5 psi).

I have my jb4 set to the most recent default settings, and I noticed "Boost Safety" is set at 18. Is it possible I hit over 18PSI and the JB4 sent me into low boost mode to be safe? Maybe these problems are related, but not sure.

I've attached 2 logs for reference. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-02-24 12_30_42.csv (19.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: csv 2018-02-24 12_32_29.csv (27.7 KB, 14 views)

All aboard the Lakeshore Drive Express!
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-24-2018, 09:33 PM

At 40% throttle input 0psi may be the boost target, depending on your menu11 in dash setting. You could crank that up to 5000rpm for example.

On 30FE I'd want to see a log of it but perhaps menu12 set too high for the car.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM

They may be separate issues, but even at full boost the JB4 app is reading a target of 0.

I also noticed in the logs, it reads my MPH from the 90 - 130mph range and I wasn't going anywhere near that fast.

(#4)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-26-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
At 40% throttle input 0psi may be the boost target, depending on your menu11 in dash setting. You could crank that up to 5000rpm for example.

On 30FE I'd want to see a log of it but perhaps menu12 set too high for the car.
I gathered 2 more logs today (attached). Car hasn't thrown a code again yet but there seems to be some hesitation in the the power delivery at WOT.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-02-26 12_26_21.csv (30.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv 2018-02-26 12_27_51.csv (5.0 KB, 10 views)

(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-26-2018, 02:21 PM

Boost control looks OK but boost seems to high for the fuel quality. I'd drop down to map1 and continue to evaluate that.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Boost control looks OK but boost seems to high for the fuel quality. I'd drop down to map1 and continue to evaluate that.
Interesting. Would Map 1 be a temporary fix to allow for better logging or would I need to permanently run this way?

I do have Swain Tech white lightening coated on the *****, could that be causing boost to raise higher than expected?

I'll grab some more logs with Map 1 later today.

(#7)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-26-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Ok, switched to Map 1 and ran some logs. The care feels a bit smoother already but I only did a few pulls so well see what happens long term.

The shorter log was at idle, not sure if its helpful or not.

I purchased a 3.5BAR TMAP from you last week to future proof the car as I mod more, do you think it would have an effect if I install it at this level of boost?

Thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-02-26 16_07_40.csv (31.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: csv 2018-02-26 16_11_11.csv (3.8 KB, 11 views)

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Runs are short but map1 seems a better fit at least at the moment. There are no issues installing the 3.5bar although it probably won't help anything in your situation at this point.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 02-26-2018, 03:54 PM

Looks okay but I'd load the pump flash, that may help a bit with your timing.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#10)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Runs are short but map1 seems a better fit at least at the moment. There are no issues installing the 3.5bar although it probably won't help anything in your situation at this point.
What recommendations (hardware or otherwise) would you have to be able to run map 2? I'm also curious if you think Map 5 would be a good fit?

I have plans to do the Fuel-it Stage 2 at some point but not sure if that will help this scenario or not.

(#11)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Looks okay but I'd load the pump flash, that may help a bit with your timing.

I'm currently running the INA0S PUMP backend, is that what you're referring to?

(#12)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-27-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Hi Terry,

I took another log and tried to make this one longer with different throttle inputs. There are a few WOT pulls throughout.

I'm still hoping you could point me in a direction for what is needed to allow the car to run better at high boost.

Thank you again.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-02-27 15_50_08.csv (72.6 KB, 11 views)

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-27-2018, 09:19 PM

Not a log to go on with the log... Normally a log is 40-110mph full throttle (on a safe private track), or 4th gear 2k to redline, for example.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 02-27-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Not a log to go on with the log... Normally a log is 40-110mph full throttle (on a safe private track), or 4th gear 2k to redline, for example.
Got it. I'll try to get a 4th gear log tomorrow. I appreciate your patience!

(#15)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 03-01-2018, 08:54 AM

I was able to get a longer log in 4th, not quite to redline but hopefully it's usable.

I put a bottle of octane booster into a full tank based on your suggestion that the fuel quality may not be ideal.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-02-28 14_11_13.csv (21.0 KB, 11 views)

(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Pulling some timing up top, otherwise looks normal but I'd stick with map 1 given your fuel quality.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#17)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default 03-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Pulling some timing up top, otherwise looks normal but I'd stick with map 1 given your fuel quality.
Thanks, Steve. Do you think its just a matter of poor 93 octane? I'd like to find a way to run map two if possible, even if that means using octane booster on every fill up.

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2018, 05:17 PM

Definitely could be poor fuel quality. You can try octane booster or if you have access to it, adding some E85.

(#19)
Old
Chi-Town Cruiser

Default A new development - 03-02-2018, 07:12 PM

Well the car was running great until the cool-side intercooler hose popped off last night. I'm trying to determine how/ why that happened.

I've heard a sudden loss of pressure like that can hurt the turbos due to over-spinning. I'm using a Wagner Tuning Evo 1 Performance (stepped) intercooler with the stock style flanges using C-clamps. Is it recommended to upgrade to a different intercooler flange when running the boost I'm at now?

Something seems off still when I get into boost levels above 6PSI. I took a few logs but did't want to push too hard.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-03-02 22_22_02.csv (44.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: csv 2018-03-02 22_22_24.csv (17.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by RhynoBoiler; 03-02-2018 at 10:01 PM..
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-04-2018, 03:13 PM

Logs are too short and not WOT, you'll need to do a proper 3rd gear log for assistance.