N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#201)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 03-29-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000

For the first time, I was able to stay in the throttle for a large part of 3rd gear, and my goodness. The sounds this car now creates are indescribable. Once I get the car dialed in on map 1 wastegate boost, which now seems to stick steady at 15psi after breaking in, I'll turn the boost up to map 2 levels and get some videos.
Nice, single turbo N54s are pretty addicting at first with all the theatrics of a big turbo. It seems like most people who daily/frequently drive the car go one of two ways with it over time; craving more boost and more power or realize that the single turbo is a bit of a of overkill for most driving situations where you are either dealing with lag or going inappropriately fast on surface streets. I experienced a bit of both but more of the latter, curious to see how it plays out for you once the honeymoon is over.

Keep up the great documentation!
Evan

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#202)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-29-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Nice, single turbo N54s are pretty addicting at first with all the theatrics of a big turbo. It seems like most people who daily/frequently drive the car go one of two ways with it over time; craving more boost and more power or realize that the single turbo is a bit of a of overkill for most driving situations where you are either dealing with lag or going inappropriately fast on surface streets. I experienced a bit of both but more of the latter, curious to see how it plays out for you once the honeymoon is over.

Evan
Have you felt a twin scroll turbo kit? They are night and day from the gutless single scrolls you have driven previously. I prefer my ST as a daily over the stock twins. Plus I get much better gas mileage.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#203)
Old

Default 03-29-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Have you felt a twin scroll turbo kit? They are night and day from the gutless single scrolls you have driven previously. I prefer my ST as a daily over the stock twins. Plus I get much better gas mileage.
No, I have not.

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#204)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-29-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
No, I have not.
Maybe meet at bimmerfest and Ill let you take it for a spin?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#205)
Old

Default 03-29-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
If I make it out to Bimmerfest this year consider it a man-date!

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
(#206)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 03-30-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Evan
I'm certainly still getting used to all the new sounds and overall feel of the car. I will say that I think going from the DMFW to the SMFW has taken more getting used to than the ST conversion. As far as lag goes, going from the old stock turbos with the wastegate rattle JB4 fix engaged, to a twin scroll, ball bearing 6062, which is smaller than what most people are using, make for a very nice happy medium. As you mentioned, I'll wait on my emotions to settle and some more seat time before giving my full feedback on everything.

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver ACF Top Mount Single Turbo Build Thread HERE
(#207)
Old
1Lover

Car: 2008 135i MSport PPK - FBO - MHD Tune
Send a message via Skype™ to Chunky Osiris
Default 04-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
West I assume you mean?
(#208)
Old
1Lover

Car: 2008 135i MSport PPK - FBO - MHD Tune
Send a message via Skype™ to Chunky Osiris
Default 04-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Super jelly of your build Chad!
(#209)
Old

Default 04-21-2018, 09:43 PM

Two months ago today, I began tearing down my 135i in order to remove my failing stock turbos and convert the car to a single turbo using ACF's N54 kit. Three weeks later, working on and off during my spare time, the install was complete. Over the subsequent five weeks between that first fire up and now, I've racked up 3,750 miles of use, broken in the clutch fully, learned how to drive the car over again with all the new hardware, and had to iron out the inevitable kinks involved with a project of this magnitude.

Since I had some free time today, and won't have much in the foreseeable future, I took the opportunity to take advantage of the nice weather and perform my annual polish and wax. Even though this car is a daily in all sense of the word and has spent every day and night outdoors for over two years now, I still like to keep the exterior looking mint. And since I'm transitioning to shorter oil change intervals now that I only have one turbo, even though it had been less than 4,000 miles and only 5 weeks since the N54 had gotten some fresh Motul and a new Mann, it was also time to do my first oil change.

I've already detailed the steps I use to paint correct and seal my car earlier in my build thread, but after buffing diligently for many hours, I had something to show for my hard work. Not too bad for now having over 106,000 miles on the odometer.

After spending so much seat time in such a short time, and in my previously used "stream of consciousness" style, here are my thoughts on owning a single turbo N54 135i, and in particular the 6062 ball bearing PTE turbo using AC Fabrication's kit:
  • For the first two weeks of single turbo life, I was plagued by o2 sensor issues. I had purchased and installed ADV sensors specifically for this conversion, but for whatever reason, I could not get them to cooperate with my IJEOS ECU. After pulling my hair out over possible culprits, I finally installed a set of NTK o2 sensors and my problem was solved so I could start enjoying the car. Those NTK sensors haven't skipped a beat since.
  • The Spec Stage 2+ clutch proved problem free while breaking everything in, and it was quite easy to learn the new engagement points. In comparison with the OEM clutch, pedal pressure has increased slightly, and everything grabs a bit harder once it reaches the engagement point. All in all, I don't have many complaints about my clutch choice. The combination of the UCP, shifter mods, and lack of a CDV, make gear engagement buttery smooth.
  • The MFactory steel SMFW on the other hand, has been the aspect of this build I've been the least keen on. Using MHD to raise the idle of my car to 950 has kept the "marbles in a can" sound many describe at bay for the most part, but this can be still be heard slightly with the AC on or if RPMs dip while taking off from a stop in 1st gear. While this is very easy to live with, the noticeable NVH caused by the SMFW at low RPMs in first gear was somewhat disappointing and surprising. This gets worse after shifting into 2nd gear after the RPMs fall again and low throttle is applied. That NVH during low-speed driving has been my biggest gripe yet, but doesn't manage to ruin the entire driving experience. Hopefully in the future, we'll have an option to ditch the SMFW and high HP misfires.
  • I've closely monitored engine activity through the JB4 Mobile App, and shared a bunch of the logs I've collected across numerous forums to get feedback and make sure things were looking okay. I had intentions of running an ethanol blend for added safety and more power, but as I progressed the wastegate spring boost of 15psi up to map 2's 17psi, it wasn't long before I saw I was running out of fuel from the HPFP side on E30 fuel at 17psi. Since then, I've tapered back the fuel to E25 to take some stress of the HPFP, and opted to just daily drive on 15psi. For the time being, I'm content with running this low boost map, but more than likely I'll add one of the upcoming intake manifold upgrades with integrated port injection once I get bored at this power level. For the record, things feel far faster at 15psi through the 6062 than 20psi + inlets felt through the stock twins.
  • The Phoenix Race FMIC is pretty unbeatable it seems. I've yet to see a log where IAT hasn't went down during a pull. My VRSF 7" non-HD FMIC would result in a large increase over a multiple gear pull when I was FBO. I'm also enjoying the stealthy black finish I gave it before installing.
  • By pairing the same ******* N54 midpipe with Vibrant resonators and MadDad Whisper axleback that I'd been using for a while now with all the new single turbo hardware, the exhaust note is much improved. At idle and during normal driving, things are very tame. But any heavy application of the throttle and all hell breaks loose. Airplane style spool up sounds, a terrific throaty growl out of the rear end, and external wastegate dumps that make me smile every time. Natural run over or "burble" isn't as audible as it was with the twin turbos; not sure of the cause of the reduction--I've never used the MHD option and don't intend to. The common comparison to the 2JZ exhaust note from single turbo N54s is not exaggerated, they certainly share similarities. For a daily driver, I wouldn't change a thing sound wise. Plus no there's no sound pollution from rattling wastegates, nor do I have to worry about there being any in the future.
  • On the topic of being a daily driver, switching to a single turbo has only seemed to improve overall functionality and fun. Since the conversion I've been averaging 21.9 miles per gallon on a variety of low percentage ethanol blends between E20-E40. Oil temperatures are consistently lower. The large amounts of smoke and terrible smells of burning oil I used to be embarrassed by regularly are a thing of the past. There are no lights on the dash, and no functions were lost during the conversion. Drivability with the BMS ST E85 TS THR BEF is even better than I thought it would be, and the cruise control feature is even smoother than it was with the OEM twin turbo configuration. Four days a week I take this car on a 3 hour round trip, and it hasn't hiccuped once. Earlier this week I drove the car for 7 hours straight in a variety of different driving conditions with nothing negative to note. I'm impressed.

I need to pick up a GoPro in order to get some better in-car footage, but here's a quick video I was able to make this afternoon including some start up action, walk around, some idle/revs, as well as a quick pull at the end . I wanted to get some audio of the exhaust at full throttle, as well as the external wastegates, so please excuse the fact I had to use my front facing iPhone camera to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TstwpqKh0b8

Visit Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver ACF Top Mount Single Turbo Build Thread HERE
(#210)
Old

Car: BMW135I
Default 04-22-2018, 03:38 AM

Hello please what type of nkt that you chose for a full compatibility with your DME IJEOS thank you

BMW E87 SWAP N54 DCT JB4 anti lag 7"FMIC DPF 450lpfp MMP PI BMS PI CONTROLLER MMP inlet outlet N20 TMAP AEM progressive WMI
(#211)
Old

Default 04-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foued1984
Hello please what type of nkt that you chose for a full compatibility with your DME IJEOS thank you
Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(#212)
Old

Car: '09 135i
Default 04-22-2018, 04:59 PM

Worth mentioning that you had the great pic too

1and1
135i - E82.N54 2009 BSM - MHD S1 / xHP S2 / WL RSFI, Koni Street & Eibach Pro-Kit springs / EBC Red's & Firehawk 500's
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's
(#213)
Old

Car: BMW135I
Default 04-23-2018, 03:21 AM

Tank you a this need an ajustment tu the dme

BMW E87 SWAP N54 DCT JB4 anti lag 7"FMIC DPF 450lpfp MMP PI BMS PI CONTROLLER MMP inlet outlet N20 TMAP AEM progressive WMI
(#214)
Old

Default 04-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1
Worth mentioning that you had the great pic too
I thought so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foued1984
Tank you a this need an ajustment tu the dme
No adjustment to the DME needed.

(#215)
Old

Default 05-06-2018, 11:43 AM

There's not much to report on overall, but no news is good news in this case. 4,000 miles has turned into 5,000 miles now on everything with no issues. They've been easy miles, but I've still put the car through its paces and in a variety of different situations in that time. She continues to be a damn near perfect daily driver in its current state.

Blackstone Labs just emailed me the latest report of the sample that I sent them. This is the second time I've used their services, and I think I'll start using it from here forward just to keep an eye on things. It brings the cost of an oil change up to around $100 each, but worth it in my opinion to keep a close eye on things.

I'd be interested to see someone with an N54 that had an unhealthy engine and what those numbers looks like. This sample was used for 3,500 miles and was the first I'd sent in while being single turbo. Everything seems to be in proper order, which is always a welcomed sight.

(#216)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 05-08-2018, 12:03 PM

Do you have a dyno session planned to show a before and after? Also, how soon before you go port injection so you can run full E85 to help keep the cylinders cooler? I am very curious what a 6062BB on 100% E85 can do.

And I will say it again, very very nice build thread and thanks for all of the detailed notes and pics!
(#217)
Old

Default 05-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
Do you have a dyno session planned to show a before and after? Also, how soon before you go port injection so you can run full E85 to help keep the cylinders cooler? I am very curious what a 6062BB on 100% E85 can do.

And I will say it again, very very nice build thread and thanks for all of the detailed notes and pics!
I have all intentions of getting back on the dyno soon. To be honest, I had anticipated having a little more headroom fueling wise to stretch out the 6062's legs a bit more, but my HPFP starts to struggle even on just E30-E40 fuel at 17psi. In comparison, it didn't skip a beat at 20psi on the stock twins on the same E40 fuel, so I'm fairly confident I'm pushing quite a bit more air at quite a bit less boost with this single turbo.

For the time being I've been running E20 and keeping boost at wastegate until I can make some adjustments to my fueling system. Unfortunately, I have a self-funded wedding and honeymoon happening in exactly a month, so the 135i is on the back burner until I get back at which point I have the following planned:
  • New HPFP (mine has 100,000 miles on it presently, which could explain why it's struggling)
  • An additional Walbro 450 to add on to my existing Walbro 450 inside the Fuel-It! Stage 2 Bucketed LPFP I already have
  • Intake manifold with integrated PI setup + JB4 PI controller
Even though that'll add another couple thousand of dollars to this build, I won't have to worry about fueling any longer and can run the 20-23psi I want on a daily basis without any issues. Even with those fueling upgrades, I'm still not sure I'd run 100% E85.

(#218)
Old

Default 05-08-2018, 01:00 PM

I completely understand. Happy wife, happy life and all.

Just curious why you wouldn't run 100% if you could? My plan has always been to try to get away from mixing and have considered PI with stock snails just to help keep cylinder temps down among the other benefits...
(#219)
Old

Default 05-08-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
I completely understand. Happy wife, happy life and all.

Just curious why you wouldn't run 100% if you could? My plan has always been to try to get away from mixing and have considered PI with stock snails just to help keep cylinder temps down among the other benefits...
You got that right!

That would definitely be convenient to not have to mix 93 & E85, but doesn't really bother me that much to be honest, never has. IIRC, there isn't much to gain once you get up to E60 or so, and at that point you're stressing high and low pressure pumps for little gain. And for someone like me that drives long distances and blows through multiple tanks of fuel a week, fuel mileage is lowered dramatically as ethanol content rises.

(#220)
Old

Default 05-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Totally agree that E85 fuel mileage is an issue. My understanding of E85 and the magic E60 number everyone talks about is really only for non PI builds since that is pretty much the max the HPFP can keep up with in a healthy system even with perfect LPFP numbers.

One of the key advantages of E85 over gasoline is that it has a higher latent heat of evaporation than pump gas. This means that it absorbs more heat from the combustion charge as it goes through a phase change from liquid to vapour. This draws heat out of the combustion charge and coupled with its high octane rating, makes the fuel very resistant to detonation. For those interested in performance, this means we can run more boost, more compression, more ignition advance, or all three with relative immunity from detonation. source: https://www.hpacademy.com/blog/how-m...u-make-on-e85/

Based on that, it seems if you can provide enough fuel, 100% E85 should provide more of the same benefits we see at E60 assuming the car is tuned for it.

Anyways, I don't want to muddle your build thread, so I might make another thread and see if anyone has any experience running 100% E85 on stock or hybrids.

Keep up the good work sir!
(#221)
Old

Default 05-29-2018, 07:26 PM

Quick update: The car is still running perfectly as the odometer is about to turn 110,000 and will be due for another oil change here within the week. The ACF kit and all the components I recently installed are still working flawlessly.

As I touched on in prior posts, even at low boost on low amounts of ethanol, my fuel system was struggling to keep up. After looking around, it seemed to be tapping out much lower than similar builds. Others were able to run more boost on bigger turbos with more ethanol with only the addition of a stage 2 LPFP like I was running. The original HPFP on this car was changed back in 2011 with only 6,000 miles on the odometer -- which means my current HPFP is about 7 years old and has put in over 100,000 total miles with 50,000 of those on moderate ethanol blends.

My current goal for this build is to be able to run 20-23psi on E50-E60 fuel daily, which means I'll have to beef up and refresh my fuel system. I'm currently running a stage 2 LPFP from Fuel-It! with their upgraded tank to HPFP lines utilizing an ethanol sensor and their analyzer.

My new setup will start with a fresh HPFP.

To help out with the extra strain put on the HPFP by the added air of the single turbo and usage of ethanol blends, I picked up one of the recently released Phoenix Racing intake manifold with a full fuel kit from Fuel It! that includes 750cc injectors.

While the kit came with the fuel line with the t-fitting seen above, because I already had the ethanol sensor and upgraded lines, I went with the newer style Bronze line upgrade with Fuel-It's camlock fitting.

For controlling the new injectors, I decided to go with the JB4 PI controller.

While my LPFP is doing fine now, I'm sending my bucket off to Fuel-It! for the stage 3 treatment so they can stuff two Walbro 450s inside. I should be receiving that back sometime next week, and will be installing everything once I return from my honeymoon near the end of June.

(#222)
Old

Default 06-27-2018, 07:19 PM

It's now been 10,000 miles since switching to a single turbo setup, and I'm still daily driving without any issues. Temperatures have been in the high 90's more often than not lately and the 1er handles it with ease. For the past 5,000 or so miles I've been running 17psi on E20 fueling -- with great looking logs. No timing drops in any cylinders, no fuel pump drops (high or low pressure), and boost comes on hard and stays rock solid right at 17psi. Any more boost or any more ethanol, and my HPFP can't keep up. Everything else is holding up well and the Blackstone Laboratories reports keep coming back with good news.

With 110,000 miles on the odometer now, I've finally acquired all the parts to address my struggling fuel system. While my old parts worked brilliantly with a lot of ethanol on stock turbos, they simply couldn't keep up with all the newfound airflow. The new setup will consist of a Stage 3 bucketed LPFP (two 450s, the second on a 15psi Hobb's Switch) from Fuel-It! in the tank, flowing through upgraded Fuel-It! fuel lines into an ethanol sensor which is integrated into the JB4 Mobile App, into the camlock fitting y-line from Fuel-It! - one end flowing into the Phoenix Port Injection manifold with JB4 PI controller, and the other end flowing into the HPFP, which will be brand new.

Once I have all that up and running, I'll probably link up with a professional tuner to dial in something around 23psi on E40-E60 for every day purposes and continue to DD and maintain everything until the wheels fall off. Until I can install all this hardware and iron out all the kinks over the next month or so, here's some more photos:

(#223)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 06-28-2018, 07:31 AM

Nice! Is there anything holding you back from more than 23psi after the fuel system upgrade?

You're gonna love the extra boost, the car makes a lot more power.

2008 BMW 135i 6MT - Doc Race Single Turbo 6266
749whp/643wtq @ 29psi, weighs 3260lbs

YouTube build: youtube.com/jakespence135
Instagram updates: instagram.com/jakespence
N54 t-shirts, etc: bimmerstreet.com
(#224)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-28-2018, 09:43 AM

Nice!! I can't wait until you get all this installed and turn it up.

Burger Motorsports

(#225)
Old

Default 06-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
Nice! Is there anything holding you back from more than 23psi after the fuel system upgrade?

You're gonna love the extra boost, the car makes a lot more power.
I'm very much looking forward to getting everything installed and dialed in. I've missed being able to run a decent mix of ethanol for over a month now. The pickup in power and spool time at even E40 is pretty substantial when compared to the pump gas tune I'm running now. Going from E20 at 17psi to E60 at 23psi should be a real kick in the pants.

Nothing is stopping me from going beyond that boost level once I get these parts installed other than my own peace of mind. In theory, I should have plenty of headroom with both the turbo and fuel system to push it further, but will I? Probably not. Your new 750HP numbers are absolutely insane, but I'd rather do 600HP for another 100,000 miles with a system capable of 700HP.