N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 535xi
Default Help - 535xi factory ******** removal - 08-05-2017, 11:40 AM

Hello all,

First post on the forum, got my 535xi earlier in the year, have so far installed FMIC, Charge w/ BOV, DCI, H&R Springs etc. This is the first car I've done any of my own work on and as such has been a learning experience.

As soon as the 535xi dwnpps were released from VRSF I purchased. So far I have my car up on four jack stands with the 02 sensors and exhaust side brackets of the dwnpps completely removed. dwnpp on driver side is removed from it's bracket and it would be nice to pull it so I can get to the second dwnpps bracket bolt. As a side note, plastic engine cover is off as well as the metal tray underneath it.

Right now I am trying to determine how to get the dwnpps off the turbo vclamp with absolutely 0 results. I cannot determine what needs to be removed and I cannot visually locate where those clamps are. Unlike the tutorials I've watched/read (pretty much all of them for 1 and 3s) I can't access them, and I can't locate steering rack bolts either.

I'm thinking I need to remove the subframe or at least drop it but I have no way of knowing if that will grant the needed access.

My question for the forum, is:

if anybody has ever done one of these installs on a E60 with xDrive and how on earth they got access to the turbos.

There are 0 535i DIYs and even less chatter on the forums on how somebody might have installed on the xDrive platform.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2006 E46 330cic ZHP
Default 08-07-2017, 10:41 AM

I have a 535i and I spent 16 hours under my car putting those S.O.B.s on! You have to disconnect the exhaust and let it fall away, then you have to use a long extension with a "bobble-head" before the socket to get to the v-clamps. Once they are loose, getting them out is a b1tch!! Then getting both back in is ridiculously difficult. When it comes time to fit the new band clamps I really think it's just a matter of luck...I tried for hours and then all of a sudden, it grabbed and I was able to get it to tighten.

I don't mean to be a downer, but that was THE HARDEST thing I've ever done on a car. By the time I was done I was exhausted, cutup, and bruised. No kidding.

Sorry.

// Radar //

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#3)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 09-12-2017, 03:21 PM

I'm not following you around RadarContact.
I've taken out and put in **'s a few times on my 535i. I find the swivel heads that use a ball style joint work better than the 2 pin types. They apply torque much better and it is very easy to combine them. I always find it best to remove parts rather than trying to get something with extensions or with limited space. When reinstalling the **'s, position the clamps in the most convenient way to install/remove the bolt. I found that opening the clamp and resting the edge of it on the flange/connection of the turbo works best. Then I would put the down pipe up to the turbo, barely touching the clamp on the flange makes it kind of spring into place when lightly touched. A big help is air tools, a mini air ratchet with good torque will let you get into areas where moving a ratchet handle isn't possible.
I removed the exhaust system from the primary cats back. Its a breeze compared to the other steps.

VRSF Inlets, Chargepipe, **'s, FMIC
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash w/Nexus 7
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Gloss Black BMW M359 M3 Competition Wheels
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Tires
Installed all the parts myself.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2006 E46 330cic ZHP
Default 09-12-2017, 08:32 PM

Well then, my friend, you are a MUCH BETTER mechanic than I'll ever hope to be!! Lol

I would rather use a toothbrush to clean all the toilets at Grand Central Station than do those suckers again!

// Radar //

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve