N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM

So we should move the correction factor to STD??? Does everyone do that??? I heard correction should only apply to normally aspirated cars...

(#52)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 11-21-2013, 10:13 AM

would map 5 on a jb4 cause problem? what the best map to use with a fbo 335 with jb4
(#53)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Map 5 may not make as much power on the dyno as it does on the road but you can dyno with it. For pump gas map 2 is the normal map.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#54)
Old

Car: 335i E90 6MT
Default 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Great post, Terry. I'm planning to dyno my car on the 18th at EAS in Anaheim (link) along with a buddy of mine and his Gintani supercharged E92 M3. I'll be printing this out to take along with me as I want to represent the N54 community well. I plan on collecting some logs this week for you to review, but before I do I need to decide which flash (bms cobb race or E85) and map (2, 5, or 7) I should use. I've been driving with E60 and the race flash, map 5 setup mostly as the only time I used the E85, map 5 setup (with E70) it felt twitchy down low and gave me a CEL at WOT. I wasn't logging at the time but haven't tried it since.

I know the E85 flash is the most aggressive, but because i have the Cobb AP and not the BT cable, will you be able to help me dial in that flash since I can't adjust settings via pro-tuner and all adjustments would be via a custom map 6 using the JB4 software?

I ask b/c the race flash has felt very strong all the time via my uncalibrated butt dyno.

Thanks in advance!

6MT | JB4 G5 | E60 | Walbro 392 | NGK 5992 | Spec2+ | ER Dual Oil Coolers | ER CP | Synapse BOV | ETS FMIC | 3.46 Wavetrac LSD
BMS DCI | AR *** | Magnaflow | BSH OCC | KW V1 | M3 Bits | Advan RS | Michelin PSS | LS3 AEs | P3 Boost Gauge | Dyno Results | COTM Pics
(#55)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-06-2014, 10:54 AM

For E60 you need to use the E85 flash. You can't adjust things on the flash side as its locked, but you shouldn't need to adjust anything on that side anyway. You'll want to use map 7 and maybe some variations of the map 3 in non-meth mode. That is assuming the fuel pressure holds up to map 7 on the street.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#56)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Same rules apply? - 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM

Do the same rules apply for the N55 8-speed AT?

Thanks

2014 N55 335i - No Mods ....yet.
(#57)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM

may i add, that if testing on a dynapack dyno [wheel hub style] you gonna have to pull out one of the traction control fuses from the glovebox fuse box!

i have a n55 with DCT, and it didnt let us rev beyond 3500 rpm in 2nd gear [wouldnt go past that] until i pulled out fuse #82 from the fuse box.

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" ** / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#58)
Old

Car: 08 135i BMW
Default DYNO instructions - 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM

What does this exactly mean? "4) When analyzing your runs, move the correction factor to STD, and the smoothing to 5. The early 335i tuning gods decided this was the appropriate factor for the N54 so using the more appropriate SAE factor will likely result in your disappointment." I'm a little confused by this statement. Can you dumb it down for me a bit lol I am a little new to this game. Thank you!
(#59)
Old

Car: 08 135i BMW
Default Mustang Dyno - 06-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Hey Terry I just ran my 135i on the mustang dyno today and I used 50% E85 and 100% meth with the BMS race flash on map 7. I had a real high trq at 4k around 433 and then it started to drop right after all the way down to 330 at 6k. Is it due to having to much e85 mixture and not having the e85 bms flash?
(#60)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 11-21-2014, 11:25 AM

god i wish i read this sticky before i dyno'd my car w/ ppk1/pe for a baseline. dyno operator had car downshift first time, and i knew he wasn't flooring it until 4kish RPM because my peak whp was fine but peak torque was garbage..

60 dollars down the tube
(#61)
Old

Car: Bmw e92 335i
Default 03-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Hi Terry, I have a auto transmission, I guess it's okay to stick it in 4th gear manual to run a dyno?
(#62)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-29-2015, 09:50 AM

Yes, normally 4th is used for Steptronics.

Burger Motorsports

(#63)
Old

Car: Bmw e92 335i
Default 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM

Thanks Terry...I have a ABS and DSC error lights...I know this is normal, but expected them to go off on the way back to the office 7-8 miles? Does the car need to be turned off for some time?

Cheers Russ
(#64)
Old

Car: BMW E91 LCI 335xi
Default 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM

If map5 works flawlessly with E85 flash (target 18psi w/o timing drops) should I choose map3 with corresponding additive (60?) rather than using map5 when dynoing?

If I want to raise map3 additive value between runs, does it need to be adjusted before next run?

335i LCI xDrive AT, JB4, ***, Stage1 LPFP, MHD E85 flash.
(#65)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335xi JB4 G5 DP DCI BOV
Default 04-24-2016, 06:11 AM

Subd for future use
(#66)
Old
Registered Users

Car: 14' F25 X3 xDrive28 M-Sport AlpineWhite DHP
Default 08-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Great guide for everyone.
Now Terry for the N55 guys 8speed auto are we to use 4th gear or 5th gear?
A lot of dyno operators seem to use 4th gear as they're prob thinking of 6 speed trans
(#67)
Old

Car: BMW M235i
Default 01-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycanX4M40i
Great guide for everyone.
Now Terry for the N55 guys 8speed auto are we to use 4th gear or 5th gear?
A lot of dyno operators seem to use 4th gear as they're prob thinking of 6 speed trans
Interested in this as well. Can anyone clarify? I want to get some realistic results from my M235i 8AT. I already threw away €80 on a useless dyno.

BMW ///M235i (EBII) - JB4 - BM3 - One sneaky Wagner high flow boi - ER CP - ER TIC CP - CSF FMIC - GFB DV+ - Pure Inlet - K&N Drop-in AF - MPE

Proud ex-owner of an:
MG TF 135 - 80th Anniversary Edition (Starlight Silver) - Stock
(#68)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-19-2017, 09:09 PM

5th gear for F series and E series DCT. 4th gear for all other E series.

Burger Motorsports

(#69)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 01-19-2017, 10:06 PM

5th gear could be a problem for those who don't have M-Sport and speed rated tires (Option code S840A). They have the limiter at 130mph, instead of 155.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#70)
Old

Car: BMW M235i
Default 01-20-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
5th gear for F series and E series DCT. 4th gear for all other E series.
Thanks, Terry I actually like that idea, car feels really solid in 5th gear on map6. It already starts pulling like crazy at low RPM in 5th with the JB4.

BMW ///M235i (EBII) - JB4 - BM3 - One sneaky Wagner high flow boi - ER CP - ER TIC CP - CSF FMIC - GFB DV+ - Pure Inlet - K&N Drop-in AF - MPE

Proud ex-owner of an:
MG TF 135 - 80th Anniversary Edition (Starlight Silver) - Stock
(#71)
Old
Registered Users

Car: M135i
Default 01-20-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
5th gear could be a problem for those who don't have M-Sport and speed rated tires (Option code S840A). They have the limiter at 130mph, instead of 155.
On the F-series 8AT you'll be doing ~125mph in 5th @ limiter. I hope most tires can handle that.
(#72)
Old

Car: 2008 E92 335i
Default 05-31-2017, 04:42 PM

For MT guys, wouldnt dynoing in 4th gear inflate numbers? Can we divide our results by the 4th gear ratio, 1.19 to get the 5th gear whp?
(#73)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-31-2017, 07:00 PM

The gearing doesn't have much effect on the numbers as the dyno takes it in to account. You want something close to 1:1 that tops out around 130-140mph so the run is long enough to get a more realistic load on the engine.

Burger Motorsports