N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default New docrace single kit low boost - 05-23-2018, 12:31 AM

Hello everyone, this last weekend my buddy and I installed a beautiful ball bearing 6266 in my 335 and everything went smoothly besides a rotted out coolant hose and I forgot to order the mac solenoid. She runs great, I have it on map 1 for wastgate pressure only but I'm having some issues. I have the green and white springs in the gates for 11.6 psi but I was only making 4ish and I have a really strong exhuast smell in the cabin. I was thinking I have an exhuast leak on the manifold somewhere so I unplugged the line off the turbo and did a pull to see if boost would shoot up and it didn't. it just sat around 4psi. I don't hear a leak anywhere, am I on the right track looking for one?
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptop4079
Hello everyone, this last weekend my buddy and I installed a beautiful ball bearing 6266 in my 335 and everything went smoothly besides a rotted out coolant hose and I forgot to order the mac solenoid. She runs great, I have it on map 1 for wastgate pressure only but I'm having some issues. I have the green and white springs in the gates for 11.6 psi but I was only making 4ish and I have a really strong exhuast smell in the cabin. I was thinking I have an exhuast leak on the manifold somewhere so I unplugged the line off the turbo and did a pull to see if boost would shoot up and it didn't. it just sat around 4psi. I don't hear a leak anywhere, am I on the right track looking for one?
Make sure you plugged the other openings on the wastegate.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 05-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Make sure you plugged the other openings on the wastegate.
I followed the paper that came with the wastgate instead of how you should plumb it with the mac solenoid. The way it's plumbed now is vac/boost is going to the bottom chamber of the wastgate and the top is venting to atmosphere everything else is plugged. But should that matter since I've tested it with the lines disconnected?
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-24-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I followed the paper that came with the wastgate instead of how you should plumb it with the mac solenoid. The way it's plumbed now is vac/boost is going to the bottom chamber of the wastgate and the top is venting to atmosphere everything else is plugged. But should that matter since I've tested it with the lines disconnected?
I understand, there are extra ports on the wastegate that need to be plugged up if they are not used.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 05-24-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I understand, there are extra ports on the wastegate that need to be plugged up if they are not used.
The only holes that don't have anything in them are the water ports. I have the bottom chambers tied together and the top hole vented to atmosphere through barbs for the mac solenoid when it gets here. Everything else is plugged.
(#6)
Old

Default 05-25-2018, 12:53 AM

Okay got home from work tonight pulled the car in the shop and dropped the subframe again in what I would consider impressive time compared to my first time.

I can't see any evidence of an exhuast leak. I didn't start it because I don't want the engine to crush me all by myself in the shop so I'll wait until tomorrow to do that. Another thing I should mention the reason I decided to pull the trigger on the single kit was my twins decided to blow and make 0 boost. When I removed them I discovered little shaft play so I don't think they actually blew up.

When I examined my old stock exhuast they looked trashed (see picture) so I believed they made a restriction that prevented the twins from spinning up. Is it possible that chunks broke off and are now sitting in front of the secondary's also making a restriction preventing the turbo from spinning up?
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-25-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The only holes that don't have anything in them are the water ports. I have the bottom chambers tied together and the top hole vented to atmosphere through barbs for the mac solenoid when it gets here. Everything else is plugged.
Try and take some pics if you can I guess. I don't think the secondary cats would be choking the turbo.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 05-26-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Try and take some pics if you can I guess. I don't think the secondary cats would be choking the turbo.
Well just got done gutting them and that was definitely the issue. The boost hit so quick it broke the tires loose in 3rd. I have to pull some logs and post them up because I'm pretty sure I'm overboosting but it's dark and a bit damp tonight.
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Well just got done gutting them and that was definitely the issue. The boost hit so quick it broke the tires loose in 3rd. I have to pull some logs and post them up because I'm pretty sure I'm overboosting but it's dark and a bit damp tonight.
Wow that is crazy, first time ever seeing or hearing something like that with secondaries!

Post up a log on map 2 so we can look over once it dries up.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 05-31-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Wow that is crazy, first time ever seeing or hearing something like that with secondaries!

Post up a log on map 2 so we can look over once it dries up.
I was going to do maps 1-3 but I'm having hell of a time keeping my intercooler piping together. For some reason I'm overboosting in map 1 and underboosting in map 2
Attached Files
File Type: csv map1.csv (14.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv map2.csv (13.8 KB, 10 views)
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-31-2018, 09:54 PM

I actually see map 1 boost around 15 psi and map 2 hitting target 17 lol. They both look really good actually. Just adjust the value for 6 cylinder logging so we can see the timing in all cylinders.

Where is the connection you're having issues with? What clamps are you using, maybe I can guide to a better solution?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 05-31-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I actually see map 1 boost around 15 psi and map 2 hitting target 17 lol. They both look really good actually. Just adjust the value for 6 cylinder logging so we can see the timing in all cylinders.

Where is the connection you're having issues with? What clamps are you using, maybe I can guide to a better solution?
I'm using the green and white springs in both of the gates so it should be around 11.6 shouldn't it?

Yeaaah about that.... I'm on the stock intercooler still LOL I had to cut the breadroll off the doc aluminum pipe from the turbo to get it to fit. I'm looking at replacing it with the vrsf race intercooler and getting a new pipe unless you have a better alternative that doesn't break the bank
(#13)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 06-01-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I'm using the green and white springs in both of the gates so it should be around 11.6 shouldn't it?

Yeaaah about that.... I'm on the stock intercooler still LOL I had to cut the breadroll off the doc aluminum pipe from the turbo to get it to fit. I'm looking at replacing it with the vrsf race intercooler and getting a new pipe unless you have a better alternative that doesn't break the bank
The Doc Kit/TiAL spring combo always overboosts a little. I was seeing around 16psi with the same springs at wastegate pressure. It's okay, as long as you don't want to turn the boost down further. I swapped in 8.7psi springs and am getting ~12psi now at gate pressure. I still have no problem turning it up to 30psi though.

I have the 7.5" VRSF Race intercooler and its great! I'm sure the Phoenix intercooler will work good as well.

PS: Your low pressure fuel pump takes a dive as you wind out the RPMs.

2008 BMW 135i 6MT - Doc Race Single Turbo 6266
749whp/643wtq @ 29psi, weighs 3260lbs

Complete build info: my1series.com
YouTube channel: youtube.com/jakespence135
Instagram updates: instagram.com/jakespence
N54 t-shirts, etc: bimmerstreet.com

Last edited by suspenceful; 06-01-2018 at 07:16 AM..
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-01-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Yea, that's why I usually recommend for the single kits but some do have more creep than others. As Jake said he has better boost control with the 9 psi spring so I'd go with that one on your kit.

For the intercooler I'd recommend our Phoenix Race intercooler for E chassis. I'm using that on my 750whp 335i and IAT don't even move on couple gear pulls.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_135_...tercooler.html

Burger Motorsports

Last edited by Payam @ BMS; 06-01-2018 at 10:35 AM..
(#15)
Old

Default 06-01-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Yea, that's why I usually recommend for the single kits but some do have more creep than others. As Jake said he has better boost control with the 9 psi spring so I'd go with that one on your kit.

For the intercooler I'd recommend our Phoenix Race intercooler for E chassis. I'm using that on my 750whp 335i and IAT don't even move on couple gear pulls.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_135_...tercooler.html
After seeing the logs do you think switching the springs is necessary? I can't get the springs out without dropping the subframe and I do not want to do that again anytime soon.

And I didn't even see the Phoenix IC during my research that sounds pretty good, top contender so far.
(#16)
Old
Demigod

Car: E92 335XI
Default 06-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
After seeing the logs do you think switching the springs is necessary? I can't get the springs out without dropping the subframe and I do not want to do that again anytime soon.

And I didn't even see the Phoenix IC during my research that sounds pretty good, top contender so far.
It's completely up to you / preference- I personally run the 14.5lb springs on my kit.

CAnt go wrong w. the phoenix fmic- thinking about switching to that myself for the upcoming 1/2 mile event

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:

It's up to you and if you want to run lower boost for a DD that's the only way. Basically your WG boost is your limit for LPFP too.

Burger Motorsports