N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1226)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default Cold Start Reduction - 05-14-2018, 06:40 AM

Terry would it be possible, via the JB's EWG control, to force the wastegate to a closed state thereby reducing cold start noise during start-up?

The B58's cold-start on every startup get's a bit much especially if you've de-resonated the mid section.

2016 F22 M240i | 8ZF
(#1227)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-14-2018, 08:17 AM

I can look in to it but I don't think we'll be able to make much of a dent in the noise, as the DME injects tons of extra fuel during cold start which doesn't all burn until it gets to the ***.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1228)
Old

Car: 340i xDrive
Default weird situation - 05-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Good day all. I have a 2016 340ix. I installed my jb4 along with a bms intake and mperformance exhaust about 16 months ago. i have never updated the jb4 with newer firmware. i have thoroughly enjoyed the car.
I was in a pretty good front end collision last month. The body shop finished all the repairs but took the car to my dealer because the A/C system was not operating correctly. The dealer determined that the was tooo much pressure being created. The advisor and tech were unable to figure out what the issue was as all looked normal. The advisor is a friend and asked me to change the JB4 to "stock". After I did that the A/C is working fine again. They are confused. I am confused. Has anyone out there ever ran into a situation like that? How do i get the JB4 to go back to all stock? Maybe the bodyshop made other adjustments inadvertantly? If I go back to "out of the box", then i can select Map 2 and hopefully my car works like it did prior to the collision.
Thanks all.
(#1229)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 05-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askforcharliek
Good day all. I have a 2016 340ix. I installed my jb4 along with a bms intake and mperformance exhaust about 16 months ago. i have never updated the jb4 with newer firmware. i have thoroughly enjoyed the car.
I was in a pretty good front end collision last month. The body shop finished all the repairs but took the car to my dealer because the A/C system was not operating correctly. The dealer determined that the was tooo much pressure being created. The advisor and tech were unable to figure out what the issue was as all looked normal. The advisor is a friend and asked me to change the JB4 to "stock". After I did that the A/C is working fine again. They are confused. I am confused. Has anyone out there ever ran into a situation like that? How do i get the JB4 to go back to all stock? Maybe the bodyshop made other adjustments inadvertantly? If I go back to "out of the box", then i can select Map 2 and hopefully my car works like it did prior to the collision.
Thanks all.
At a minimum, you need to disconnect the OBD cable. If it was me, I would remove the JB4 so they stop harassing you during the repair.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PURE Stage 2 N54 Turbos | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#1230)
Old

Car: 340i xDrive
Default 05-14-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
At a minimum, you need to disconnect the OBD cable. If it was me, I would remove the JB4 so they stop harassing you during the repair.
They weren't really harassing me. I am cool with most of the guys at the dealership. When I put my JB4 into map 0, the issue went away. I am reluctant to turn the JB4 back on as i am not sure is the body shop changed another setting that i am not aware of while they had the car for repair.

After i put the JB4 to map 0 the issue with the ultra high pressure in the A/C system went away. I have the car back now since Friday and no issues. I would like to get back to Map 2 but am worried.
(#1231)
Old
Jay1312

Car: BMW 320i and M5
Default 05-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Does anyone have a 2018 340i? Seems that the rail connectors for 2018 (April onwards) have changed for the fuel cable connector ( size is now in between the b58 and b48 models). Terry is aware of it but thought I'd d ask the forum to see if there are any local users close to Terry.
(#1232)
Old

Car: M240i
Default New to JB4 - 05-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and the JB4, but I've been reading this forum and tuning cars for some time. I do have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for.

1) I've added a "capture" showing the user adjustment of map 2. Is everything set properly or as default?
2) What firmware is loaded? The firmware info doesn't seem to align with what's posted on the first page. How do you read the firmware data shown to compare to posted updates?
3) I've added a "capture2" showing the settings tab. When I pick the F series in the drop down I get the shown fault. The program also crashes and stops working. I have to uninstall and reinstall to get it working. It does appear that it reads the codes just fine in the default setting.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate your assistance on this.

Lastly... big shoutout to Ando G for all his assistance with getting the JB4, serial cable and EO sticker. He was quick to respond and provided excellent customer service. I look forward to working with the JB4 and doing some custom tuning soon.
Attached Images

(#1233)
Old
Jay1312

Default 05-18-2018, 08:23 PM

Check the first page on this thread Jboe.Assuming your car is 240 boost is set to 26, paid 10, fol 60, waste gate 50. Also try duty bias with 0 and as per first page but remember the duty bias is applicable only if you use map 6.
(#1234)
Old

Car: 340iX 6MT MPPSK
Default 05-18-2018, 09:06 PM

The firmware you have shown here, 58/1//5, I think indicates B58 engine, version 1, not sure about the 5. You should probably update, the maps won't be the same if you're using version 1.
(#1235)
Old

Default 05-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1312
Check the first page on this thread Jboe.Assuming your car is 240 boost is set to 26, paid 10, fol 60, waste gate 50. Also try duty bias with 0 and as per first page but remember the duty bias is applicable only if you use map 6.
Thank you... I didn't catch those changes in the default settings. I am in a 2018 M240i. It looks like units are being sold with V8 for now. I'll update to that and ensure the settings match up to the defaults posted. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier
The firmware you have shown here, 58/1//5, I think indicates B58 engine, version 1, not sure about the 5. You should probably update, the maps won't be the same if you're using version 1.
I'll update to V8 at least. Unless Terry or another BMS rep tell me otherwise. Thank you for the response.
(#1236)
Old

Default 05-19-2018, 12:20 PM

Updated to V8... not sure what T12 is yet so I just did the base version listed. I'm about 60% through this thread so I'm sure I'll learn more along the way. Thank you for your assistance thus far. To recap, here's a capture of what I have currently loaded. Car pulls hard and smooth... no issues seen, but I haven't logged yet.
Attached Images

(#1237)
Old
Jay1312

Default 05-19-2018, 09:33 PM

Log runs on this and attaching the support section requesting review. Try updating to v9-4 and do a similar run. I think v9 is better.
(#1238)
Old

Default 05-19-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1312
Log runs on this and attaching the support section requesting review. Try updating to v9-4 and do a similar run. I think v9 is better.
Will do... I finally read through this post and the other stickies regarding tuning and settings. It will be interesting to see where I land with CA 91, JB4 and otherwise stock car. I'll post logs in support area asap.
(#1239)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi coupe
Default 05-21-2018, 03:04 PM

Hello Terry

I believe I'm one of the first people to run a JB4 on a new X3 m40i. Im motivated many people to install it on other forums and see a solid market for Burger on these fast little SUV's

I've attached some logs from a 1/4 mile drag I did today, love the time, running 12.5 when the stock engine should do 13.2

I also have a BMS intake and running 94oct. on Map 5

I find the power can be inconsistent at times and I'm wondering if you can make any other suggestions to get the most out of this B58 with MPPK
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-21 14_59_00.csv (4.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: csv 2018-05-21 14_17_07.csv (60.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: csv 2018-05-21 15_33_10.csv (14.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: csv 2018-05-21 14_57_33.csv (77.2 KB, 6 views)
(#1240)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM

The log looks okay and everything is where it should be.I don't know if I would turn it up anymore with the octane you have. I would add EWG wires and Methanol or Race gas if you'd want to turn it up anymore.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1241)
Old

Car: 2016 BMW 328i
Default 05-21-2018, 08:05 PM

Hello, I just tried to install to my 2018 X3 M40i the JB4 for N58 but the check engine light came on and came up with code 164020 Inlet camshaft sensor: Signal High.
I did the installation with the negative removed, per instructions.
Donít know if its too new for the current firmware.
Please help!
(#1242)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi
Hello, I just tried to install to my 2018 X3 M40i the JB4 for N58 but the check engine light came on and came up with code 164020 Inlet camshaft sensor: Signal High.
I did the installation with the negative removed, per instructions.
Donít know if its too new for the current firmware.
Please help!
Can you email some pics to me of where you connected the JB4 and your engine?

Payam@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports

(#1243)
Old

Default 05-22-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS

Payam@burgertuning.com
Email sent.
(#1244)
Old

Default 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Payam@burgertuning.com
Thank you for your support! I did as suggested and it worked like it should.
(#1245)
Old

Car: M135i
Default Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Quote:
The log looks okay and everything is where it should be.I don't know if I would turn it up anymore with the octane you have. I would add EWG wires and Methanol or Race gas if you'd want to turn it up anymore.
You say it looks as it should, but Iíve never seen a B58 log with fuelling that good!! Surely there has to be some differences with the engine/ mapping? I know if I try to run that sort of boost my AFR would be 14+

M140i Auto. JB4.
(#1246)
Old

Default Yesterday, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The "pedal" and "throttle" never go above 7500. I'm assuming that means that both only show 75%? Thus... if correct, the throttle plate never opens past 75%. Is that normal?

I've seen other manufacturers use throttle plate opening restrictions to limit HP/TQ within same engine families before. Not just for engine safety and tuning, but to limit max HP/TQ output as well. That way the same engine can produce multiple levels of HP/TQ across different platforms. I've used signal clamps/conditioners to get around them on a few Porsche applications. Is this something that BMW is also doing? Really curious now that I looked at a few logs.